PDA

View Full Version : YouTube's new layout and workarounds

Kizzume
12-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Today YouTube rolled out a whole new layout. For the most part, it's not bad, especially how they've added people's avatars to the comments section of videos. There are some options they've made very difficult to access, like simply seeing your inbox. The worst thing is that they decided to make the whole thing no longer be centered, the whole site is stuck on the left side of the screen, which is especially apparent when you have a high resolution monitor.

They seem to have gotten rid of the option to display your search results chronologically, or "by date". If you're searching for something, you can still sort by date by adding the following to the end of the web address: &search_sort=video_date_uploaded

Here's a Greasemonkey script that will horizontally center the YouTube layout: Youtube Layout Align Center for Greasemonkey (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/153584)

Conley
12-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Wow, that left side of the screen thing is weird, hadn't been on in the last couple of days but that's a little bit jarring

I wish Google would leave well enough alone, I still dont like the new Gmail...they change stuff just to change it when it's not broken. It's worse than Microsoft at this point, at least Office goes a few years before making major changes

Captain Obvious
12-07-2012, 12:19 AM
It's the technology curve, I'm a firm believer in it. We're on the downward slope of it.

I haven't noticed the new youtube format, maybe that's a good thing for the change but photobucket recently (twice) changed their format, now it's virtually impossible to do anything on it.

They're trying to make things handheld friendly I guess.

Kizzume
12-07-2012, 02:51 AM
And here's a Greasemonkey script that brings back the "sort by" search option on YouTube: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/153580

Conley
12-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Kizzume can you figure out how to copy a playlist? I want to copy someone else's playlist to my account...it used to be possible but I cant figure it out on the new version. Thanks!

Adelaide
12-11-2012, 12:34 AM
I visited Youtube today for the first time since the changes - I don't like it, but maybe it'll grow on me. Most people hate change initially so it's possible, I guess.

Kizzume
12-11-2012, 02:59 AM
@Kizzume (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=515) can you figure out how to copy a playlist? I want to copy someone else's playlist to my account...it used to be possible but I cant figure it out on the new version. Thanks!

Nope, don't know how to do that. I actually just created playlists the first time last night--all these years and I had never done it.

Conley
12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Nope, don't know how to do that. I actually just created playlists the first time last night--all these years and I had never done it.

Playlists are awesome...just line up a bunch of music and let er rip. Of course now I can't edit mine :angry: but hopefully the help docs will be updated eventually or there'll be a blog post somewhere from someone who figures it out

Conley
12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I visited Youtube today for the first time since the changes - I don't like it, but maybe it'll grow on me. Most people hate change initially so it's possible, I guess.

I've looked at it since the change and nope, still hate it. Still hate the new gmail too and that's been months :laugh:

Kizzume
12-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Playlists are awesome...just line up a bunch of music and let er rip. Of course now I can't edit mine :angry: but hopefully the help docs will be updated eventually or there'll be a blog post somewhere from someone who figures it out

You have to go to the video manager then click playlists http://www.youtube.com/view_all_playlists and then click the "edit" button to the right of the playlist. You can add videos by entering their url into the field at the top.

Conley
12-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks Kizz, on a hunch I tried to edit a playlist by adding the url of the playlist I wanted to add -- no dice it says invalid link.