PDA

View Full Version : ‘Washington has mythologized itself as a human rights protector’

Awryly
12-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Duma weighs response to Magnitsky Act, noting 'selective' US human rights policyA much harsher response – and the Duma International Affairs Committee is leaning towards this one, Pushkov says – could be to introduce a new, separate law according to which all Americans suspected by Moscow of violating not only Russian citizens' rights abroad, but also “widely accepted universal human rights,” will be sanctioned by Russia.“For example, it could be former employees of Guantanamo who are now conducting their business and want to visit Russia for whatever reason,” Pushkov said. “In this case, such an individual will not be allowed entry.”
“It could also be people who were involved in the deaths of innocent civilians during NATO operations in Iraq and Afghanistan,” Pushkov continued. “It could also involve those related to torture – secret tortures that were practiced all over Europe. It could also be evoked against individuals suspected of kidnapping abroad.”
“It could be a quite large list of individuals who, according to Moscow, have violated universal human rights,” he concluded.
A ban list of American citizens, who are currently being allowed entry to Russia, already exists. It includes a former director of Guantanamo who now works for a private business that is handling a project in Russia. His latest visa request was denied.
Thus the entire US business establishment that has interests in Russia could fall subject to such scrutiny, Pushkov said.

and

The Duma's International Affairs Committee is considering the harsher option, as the overall feeling is that Russia should be involved in protecting the rights of the people, Pushkov said.“The thing is that Washington has created this myth of a protector of human rights,” he explained. “But if you examine what is being done by US representatives worldwide, then it is clear that it does not stand up to any criticism. They for example didn't utter a single word of sympathy about the civilians – the women and children – killed in the latest Gaza conflict. Nothing was said by American officials.”
US foreign policy is characterized by a selective approach to human rights issues, using them as a device to promote American geopolitical interests, Pushkov told RT.
“This type of injection of the human rights theme deserves a response from our side,” Pushkov sated. “Why should we be denied the right to condemn civilian killings in wars, about states that are being occupied illegally despite UN rules and regulations, and about drone strikes?”

Americans have little idea that the rest of the world is gearing up to condemn them. They live, blissfully, in a happy retreat from reality.

Taxcutter
12-07-2012, 09:43 AM
I say: Bring it on!

Somewhere there is a straw that will break the camel's back and make Americans realize the day of the UN has passed by. Then the Senate can abrogate teh UN Treaty and we can PNG all the diplomats accredited to the UN and tear down the Turtle Bay Roach Motel.

Mister D
12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Perhaps "the rest of the world" is gearing up to reject this concept of "universal human rights" foisted on them by the US and her post-war vassals.

Mainecoons
12-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Washington and the U.S. have a severe grandiosity problem. Despite resembling the USSR before it finally cratered with its hollow economy and overgrown military, the U.S. continues to think that it can police the world, make everyone report to its IRS, etc.

The U.S. is a house of debt ridden, deficit spending cards waiting to fall.

Chris
12-07-2012, 10:58 AM
All this depends on whether you consider rights those documented in the Declaration and Constitution, basically Enlightenment negative rights derived from natural law, basically the right to be left alone in pursuit of happiness; or those rights I think FDR first made up, sometimes known as the Second Bill of Rights, basically entitlements to happiness granted, promoted and provided by government without having to pursue it.

The former liberates you from the state, the latter enslaves you to it.

Taxcutter
12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Are Sudan and Iran exemplars of human rights?

Peter1469
12-07-2012, 07:02 PM
The use of the term "human rights" on the international stage is largely a means of political attack. Nations that treat their own citizens (and enemies) brutally, will harp on some isolated incident from a western nation and tout human rights abuses before the press for months. Meanwhile their own armies have surrounded a city and pummel it with artillery for 3 months without offering safe passage to the citizens..., and the media is largely silent.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 07:36 PM
The use of the term "human rights" on the international stage is largely a means of political attack. Nations that treat their own citizens (and enemies) brutally, will harp on some isolated incident from a western nation and tout human rights abuses before the press for months. Meanwhile their own armies have surrounded a city and pummel it with artillery for 3 months without offering safe passage to the citizens..., and the media is largely silent.

If all you consume is the largely tripe served up by the American media, you will learn next to nothing about any country including your own. But you will become an expert in tripe.

If you really want to learn anything about what's going on, you need to go to sources like Al Jazeera, France Vingt Quatre, Russia Today, and the like.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
I say: Bring it on!

Somewhere there is a straw that will break the camel's back and make Americans realize the day of the UN has passed by. Then the Senate can abrogate teh UN Treaty and we can PNG all the diplomats accredited to the UN and tear down the Turtle Bay Roach Motel.

The UN is your only hope. You may not like it but you had better believe it.

Though I see the US has thoughtfully exempted itself from membership of tribunals that might embarrass it. Like the International Criminal Court.

I vaguely recollect that some country (European, I think) proposed that Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney should be tried for war crimes. But the US was not party to the Rome Treaty that dealt with such matters. Luckily for the gentlemen in question.

Peter1469
12-07-2012, 07:50 PM
If all you consume is the largely tripe served up by the American media, you will learn next to nothing about any country including your own. But you will become an expert in tripe.

If you really want to learn anything about what's going on, you need to go to sources like Al Jazeera, France Vingt Quatre, Russia Today, and the like.

I pay attention to all of those but the French one. I also pay attention to Der Spiegel. When Al Jazeera reports on non-Mid East topics they tend to be much fairer than any MSM outfit in the US.

Chris
12-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Those are tripe as well.

Chris
12-07-2012, 08:41 PM
The UN is your only hope. You may not like it but you had better believe it.

Though I see the US has thoughtfully exempted itself from membership of tribunals that might embarrass it. Like the International Criminal Court.

I vaguely recollect that some country (European, I think) proposed that Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney should be tried for war crimes. But the US was not party to the Rome Treaty that dealt with such matters. Luckily for the gentlemen in question.

Why is the UN our hope? Hope for what?

Mainecoons
12-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Hope that we keep it afloat?

:rofl:

Awryly
12-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Those are tripe as well.

The hope of any modicum of credibility you may strive to achieve in the international community - of which you are a mere 5%?

Oh yeah, I forgot. What international community?

Mister D
12-07-2012, 08:56 PM
The hope of any modicum of credibility you may strive to achieve in the international community - of which you are a mere 5%?

You forgot? America forced it on you post 1945. You are so confused.

Chris
12-07-2012, 09:00 PM

And that has what to do with tripe media?

I see you're back into your trolling antics flitting from one inflammatory thing to another. Guess, what, we're used to your antics.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 09:03 PM
You forgot? America forced it on you post 1945. You are so confused.

Forced what? We ban your navy.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 09:08 PM
And that has what to do with tripe media?

I see you're back into your trolling antics flitting from one inflammatory thing to another. Guess, what, we're used to your antics.

Guess what? The topic is about American lip service to human rights but only when it does not interfere with more important things that say it's OK to infringe human rights.

Ask the Russians.

Chris
12-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Guess what? The topic is about American lip service to human rights but only when it does not interfere with more important things that say it's OK to infringe human rights.

Ask the Russians.

You wouldn't know that by your responses flitting all over the place like a firefly on a hot summer's evening.

Define human rights--if you're actually interested in that topic.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
You wouldn't know that by your responses flitting all over the place like a firefly on a hot summer's evening.

Define human rights--if you're actually interested in that topic.

I suspect that would be a pointless exercise.

We would start out by disagreeing on what's "human".

Mister D
12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Forced what? We ban your navy.

You personally have forgotten nothing. We Coca-Cocalized your island before you were born. You've known nothing but the values we've fed you.

Chris
12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I suspect that would be a pointless exercise.

We would start out by disagreeing on what's "human".

In short you have no point to make then about human rights. How can you claim they're not protected when you can't define them?

Awryly
12-07-2012, 09:54 PM
You personally have forgotten nothing. We Coca-Cocalized your island before you were born. You've known nothing but the values we've fed you.

Lol. Those "values" would, in addition to Coca Cola, be McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks and very bad films?

Unlike the social justice, rule of law, democracy and cultural diversity we thankfully got from the British and Polynesians.

And have managed to preserve despite your over-whelming crap.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 09:59 PM
In short you have no point to make then about human rights. How can you claim they're not protected when you can't define them?

It would only confuse you. :fighting0074::smileinbox::smileinbox:

Mister D
12-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Lol. Those "values" would, in addition to Coca Cola, be McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks and very bad films?

Unlike the social justice, rule of law, democracy and cultural diversity we thankfully got from the British and Polynesians.

And have managed to preserve despite your over-whelming crap.

Pssst...we Coca-Cocalized the British before NZ. You were and are always an after thought. :laugh: You parrot America values.

Mister D
12-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh, and you got nothing along those lines from the Polynesians. You're like the mindless American diversity freaks you're modeled on! :rofl:

Chris
12-07-2012, 10:05 PM
It would only confuse you. :fighting0074::smileinbox::smileinbox:

Most of what you say is confusing.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Most of what you say is confusing.

Of course it is. You can't figure out why I, and most Kiwis, are not in love with American "values".

It is an affront to your Kentucky Fried mind that we do not mimic your antics and so-called "values".

GrumpyDog
12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I can be interpreter, is some elephants need help.

Mister D
12-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Of course it is. You can't figure out why I, and most Kiwis, are not in love with American "values".

It is an affront to your Kentucky Fried mind that we do not mimic your antics and so-called "values".

Of course you're in love with American values. You just don't understand that America is the champion of modernity and of all the values you think you came up with on your own. Your papa would have known better.

Captain Obvious
12-07-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Kiwi-Burger.jpg

Awryly
12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Kiwi-Burger.jpg

http://static.dangerousminds.net/uploads/images/hellpizza2222_thumb.jpg

Mister D
12-07-2012, 10:27 PM
http://static.dangerousminds.net/uploads/images/hellpizza2222_thumb.jpg

That is actually a great example of how superficial your revolt against America really is. You're just a rebellious child who doesn't quite yet understand the real world.

Chris
12-07-2012, 10:34 PM

It's not my problem to figure out. And since you can't articulate it, as in defining rights, how could I possibly do so?

Captain Obvious
12-07-2012, 10:35 PM
That pizza looks good.

Chris
12-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I can be interpreter, is some elephants need help.

What's to interpret? Awryly says the topic is about protecting human rights. Asked what he means, he can't say. If he can't say then what would you interpret?

GrumpyDog
12-07-2012, 10:37 PM
That pizza looks good.

Will give you heart burn beyond the normal experience.

Chris
12-07-2012, 10:37 PM
That is actually a great example of how superficial your revolt against America really is. You're just a rebellious child who doesn't quite yet understand the real world.

Revolt against America? He'd have to understand America first. All he revolts against is his impressions, and those impressions are revolting.

GrumpyDog
12-07-2012, 10:38 PM
What's to interpret? Awryly says the topic is about protecting human rights. Asked what he means, he can't say. If he can't say then what would you interpret?

Wait, while I consult the Maori book of wisdom, which will explain how prisoner held in solitude, cannot say certain things.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 10:40 PM
:director::director::director:Would that I had the confidence to be so wrong.

Chris
12-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Wait, while I consult the Maori book of wisdom, which will explain how prisoner held in solitude, cannot say certain things.

I got to tell you if you're the interpreter you make less sense than the one you interpret.

Chris
12-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Would that I had the confidence to be so wrong.

You are. In many ways ignorance drives confidence.

Awryly
12-07-2012, 10:46 PM
You are. In many ways ignorance drives confidence.

You come from its source. I would congratulate you but I am not sufficiently ignorant.

Peter1469
12-08-2012, 12:09 AM
That pizza looks good.

It looks like shit. I could get a better pizza from a street vendor in Spilt, Croatia. http://www.visit-croatia.co.uk/split/

Chris
12-08-2012, 10:40 AM
You come from its source. I would congratulate you but I am not sufficiently ignorant.

I've seen occasional flashes of intelligence, but you seem to prefer to play dodge ball.

Chris
12-08-2012, 10:41 AM

I've seen occasional flashes of intelligence, but you seem to prefer to play dodge ball.

The problem you seem to have with media is you don't seem able to seperate fact from opinion.

Awryly
12-08-2012, 06:54 PM

The problem you seem to have with media is you don't seem able to seperate fact from opinion.

You're a one-trick pony, aren't you?

And that trick is to pass the contents of your stomach.

Chris
12-08-2012, 07:03 PM
You're a one-trick pony, aren't you?

And that trick is to pass the contents of your stomach.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Surely you can make up something better than that!

Awryly
12-08-2012, 08:32 PM

It seems you can do it lying down under the influence of some narcotic. I under-estimated you.

Mister D
12-08-2012, 08:33 PM

apparently not.

Awryly
12-08-2012, 08:43 PM
OK. So has the US has given up the pretence that it defends freedom?

If not, why not?

I still hear Obama blither on hopefully believing that repetition will seduce the world into ignoring the hum of his drones as they drop bombs on wedding parties.

Meanwhile, at home, no American is immune from drone intrusion on their privacy.

Chris
12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
It seems you can do it lying down under the influence of some narcotic. I under-estimated you.

Making up more lies. Surely you can do better.

Chris
12-08-2012, 09:09 PM

If not, why not?

I still hear Obama blither on hopefully believing that repetition will seduce the world into ignoring the hum of his drones as they drop bombs on wedding parties.

Meanwhile, at home, no American is immune from drone intrusion on their privacy.

So has the US has given up the pretence that it defends freedom?

Loaded question. The US is founded on freedom. It will defend it.

I still hear Obama blither...

You got that right, he's a blithering idiot.

Yes, the government tries to tread on our freedom.

Awryly
12-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Loaded question. The US is founded on freedom. It will defend it.

You got that right, he's a blithering idiot.

Yes, the government tries to tread on our freedom.

Yeah, I get it. The gummint treads on your rights to tread on others.

Chris
12-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I get it. The gummint treads on your rights to tread on others.

No, you don't get it. What you say makes no sense.

Mister D
12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Anti-Americanism can sometimes be interesting. Too bad Awryly's is superficial at best. More often than not he is simply ignorant.

Chris
12-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Ignorant and arrogant.

Mister D
12-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Ignorant and arrogant.

That's what I found so funny about Carygrant. Awryly is capable of engaging in rational and friendly discussion. Too bad he likes trolling more.

Awryly
12-08-2012, 09:45 PM
So we are reduced to this. A bunch of cons flapping their gums with the enthusiasm of dying hamsters stuck on their wheels.

No wonder the US is in such a mess.

Mister D
12-08-2012, 09:50 PM
So we are reduced to this. A bunch of cons flapping their gums with the enthusiasm of dying hamsters stuck on their wheels.

You'd rather troll than engage. Why is that? Is it that you have far less to offer than you thought? I know that realization pissed off carygrant something fierce. Poor bastard...

Chris
12-08-2012, 09:58 PM
That's what I found so funny about Carygrant. Awryly is capable of engaging in rational and friendly discussion. Too bad he likes trolling more.

He's really interesting when he does engage.

I sometimes wonder if awryly isn't a group of people, perhaps some students, who take turns posing as "awryly". It's the only way I can rationally explain his disjointed and disconnected posts, his multiple personalities. Of course there are other ways to explain it.

Chris
12-08-2012, 10:00 PM

No, we're amused at how wacky you are.

http://i.snag.gy/EKLXS.jpg

Mister D
12-08-2012, 10:02 PM
He's really interesting when he does engage.

I sometimes wonder if awryly isn't a group of people, perhaps some students, who take turns posing as "awryly". It's the only way I can rationally explain his disjointed and disconnected posts, his multiple personalities. Of course there are other ways to explain it.

Interesting point. It really doesn't seem like the same guy. :laugh: Yeah, we actually agree on many things but express them differently and/or emphasis different aspects.

Awryly
12-08-2012, 10:12 PM
No, we're amused at how wacky you are.

http://i.snag.gy/EKLXS.jpg

If that's amusement, I can recommend a good canine psychologist.

Awryly
12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Interesting point. It really doesn't seem like the same guy. :laugh: Yeah, we actually agree on many things but express them differently and/or emphasis different aspects.

:smiley_bar::3some::3some:

Peter1469
12-08-2012, 11:13 PM

If not, why not?

The US best defends freedom by setting an example- the shinning city on the hill. When we "defended freedom" in Libya by loaning al Qaeda our Nav Air, the senile hero, McCain gave a speech in Libya stating that there were no al Qadea in the rebel forces and an al Qaeda flag was on the building that he was standing in front of. :afro:

Talk about being out of touch with reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=332QeTNmfh8

Awryly
12-08-2012, 11:16 PM
The US best defends freedom by setting an example- the shinning city on the hill. When we "defended freedom" in Libya by loaning al Qaeda our Nav Air, the senile hero, McCain gave a speech in Libya stating that there were no al Qadea in the rebel forces and an al Qaeda flag was on the building that he was standing in front of. :afro:

Talk about being out of touch with reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=332QeTNmfh8

The Vietnamese let McCain go as a punishment to the US.

He has rewarded them handsomely.

Peter1469
12-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Not really. But a nice attempt at NZ humor.

Chris
12-09-2012, 11:42 AM
If that's amusement, I can recommend a good canine psychologist.

It was my image of what you look like. And, yes, you could probably use a good psychologist.

Chris
12-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Not really. But a nice attempt at NZ humor.

Sheep jokes
There are a large number of (mainly crude) sheep jokes. As befitting the trans-Tasman rivalry, Australians tell said jokes about New Zealanders, and New Zealanders tell them about Australians. In the UK on the other hand sheep jokes are usually reserved for the Welsh.

Some sheep jokes also take differences in the accent into account. In one example, a farmer who is having unnatural relations with a sheep is asked if he should rather be shearing the sheep, to which he replies "I'm not shearing this sheep with anyone!" Here shearing is taken to be the pronunciation of the word sharing spoken with a New Zealand accent, as some New Zealand speakers pronounce sharing with the same pronunciation as shearing.

Other sheep jokes (or "ewe-phemisms") include puns on song titles which contain the word ewe. For example, a performing band may announce they are playing the song "There Will Never Be Another You", and follow up by saying that it is particularly bad news for any Australians in the audience.

While other people make jokes about New Zealanders and sheep, New Zealanders themselves are not averse to a bit of sheep humour. In mid-2000, Grant Gillon, then a New Zealand Member of Parliament, caused controversy when he asked the following question during a debate on genetic engineering:

"I want to ask the minister whether, no pun intended, it's appropriate in this case for a woman's body parts to be inserted into a sheep when that has normally been the domain of Tory males?"[2]

Commonly used insults that Australians use are the terms "Sheep-shagger" & "Ram-Rooter".

@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_humour

Awryly
12-09-2012, 08:15 PM
@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_humour

You saying sheep are being denied their human rights?