PDA

View Full Version : tPF Russian hackers planning to target U.S. Senate, cybersecurity firm says

DGUtley
01-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Russian hackers planning to target U.S. Senate, cybersecurity firm says. Ok folks, now we know -- what are we going to do about it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-russian-hackers-senate-20180112-story.html

Crepitus
01-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Russian hackers planning to target U.S. Senate, cybersecurity firm says. Ok folks, now we know -- what are we going to do about it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-russian-hackers-senate-20180112-story.html

Well nothing. We all know Russians have never hacked anything before right? must be fake news.

OK! Now that I've got that outta my system I actually do hope we have some kinda response set up, but I haven't heard about anything being done.

DGUtley
01-13-2018, 10:32 AM
I don't know, can you segregate the systems? If you do, once you send an email out are they vulnerable? Do you have any doubt we do the same thing? Are the Russians just smarter than Americans? I mean, that whole Czarina and Amber Room thingy, right?

Captdon
01-13-2018, 10:37 AM
I don't know, can you segregate the systems? If you do, once you send an email out are they vulnerable? Do you have any doubt we do the same thing? Are the Russians just smarter than Americans? I mean, that whole Czarina and Amber Room thingy, right?

They hacked the DOD so how do we stop them? We do it too and they can't stop them.

Maybe whispers?

DGUtley
01-13-2018, 10:40 AM
They hacked the DOD so how do we stop them? We do it too and they can't stop them. Maybe whispers?

pssst. Captdon .....

Peter1469
01-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Whoever runs the Senate IT systems better be on the ball.

Also, the DoD needs to determine what to do with our cyber capabilities out of Cyber Command. We have greater capabilities than others, we just elect to not use them to their full extent.

MisterVeritis
01-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Every nation has or is building a cyberwar/information warfare capability. The advanced persistent threat (APT) has been a part of daily life for at least the last decade. This is nothing new. Train your people. Run exercises. Share the results.

In my final years of employment, everyone in my organization knew they could attach a suspicious email and send it to me. In nearly every case the email represented a phishing attack. I would further send it to our IT security team. Then I would send out an email to the entire organization describing the phishing attack and advising caution.

Someone in my organization received a phishing attack on a weekly basis.