PDA

View Full Version : Metro Red Line train carrying 63 derails near Farragut North

Peter1469
01-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Metro Red Line train carrying 63 derails near Farragut North (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/01/15/red-line-train-carrying-at-least-60-passengers-derails-near-farragut-north/?utm_term=.5aef8bb31a03)

The DC metro is an embarrassment. At least it is a federal holiday, so the disruptions are limited.

A Red Line train carrying 63 people derailed early Monday just outside the Farragut North station, Metro officials said.

One passenger was evaluated for shortness of breath, but there were no injuries, authorities said.

The derailment occurred just after 6:30 a.m after the Shady Grove-bound train left Metro Center station, according to Metro spokesman Dan Stessel. He could not say which or how many of the eight cars derailed, but said the train was a 7000-series, the newest in the transit agency’s fleet.

The cause is under investigation. The National Transportation Safety Board is monitoring the situation but has not sent anyone to the scene, officials said.

Stessel said the 63 people on the train included 61 passengers, a Metro Police office and the train operator. The number was relatively light for a Monday commute, because the government and many companies are closed for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

Kacper
01-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Glad everyone seems to be ok. I used to transfer over to the red line for a short hop going the other direction from Metro center to Judiciary square. Never like being on that line for some reason. Not sure why. It just felt different.

Peter1469
01-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Glad everyone seems to be ok. I used to transfer over to the red line for a short hop going the other direction from Metro center to Judiciary square. Never like being on that line for some reason. Not sure why. It just felt different.

It depends on what segment you are on. Metro Center to Judiciary Square is generally fine. I think once you get to Union Station you can run into trouble.

Kacper
01-15-2018, 12:13 PM
It depends on what segment you are on. Metro Center to Judiciary Square is generally fine. I think once you get to Union Station you can run into trouble.

When I lived in Fairfax and worked on the House side, I used to take the orange line from Vienna to Capitol South and it was just a totally different dynamic than when I lived in Springfield and worked on the other side of the Hill. I could have used Union Station as well on the red line but the traffic/crowd right at the station is so crazy, I preferred Judiciary and to stroll it the rest of the way in. I tried to stay away from Union Station as much as possible unless I was taking a train anyway.

Peter1469
01-15-2018, 12:19 PM
When I lived in Fairfax and worked on the House side, I used to take the orange line from Vienna to Capitol South and it was just a totally different dynamic than when I lived in Springfield and worked on the other side of the Hill. I could have used Union Station as well on the red line but the traffic/crowd right at the station is so crazy, I preferred Judiciary and to stroll it the rest of the way in. I tried to stay away from Union Station as much as possible unless I was taking a train anyway.
Metro Center is problematic when schools are starting and ending. Some of the students are little monsters who harass, mug people, and more. When I had an office near Union Station, my boss was being harassed by "snowflakes" (a DC term for students who "can do no wrong" while committing all sorts of crimes). I started to meet her at Metro Center where these snowflakes were also heading to school. We even got some metro cops undercover to shadow us. Got several arrests that way. One of the kids had a gun in his back pack.

Kacper
01-15-2018, 12:28 PM
Metro Center is problematic when schools are starting and ending. Some of the students are little monsters who harass, mug people, and more. When I had an office near Union Station, my boss was being harassed by "snowflakes" (a DC term for students who "can do no wrong" while committing all sorts of crimes). I started to meet her at Metro Center where these snowflakes were also heading to school. We even got some metro cops undercover to shadow us. Got several arrests that way. One of the kids had a gun in his back pack.

I don't ever recall being in Metro Center when I wasn't a bit uneasy. Lots of bizarreness going on right there. Somebody tried to start something with me in there one time for reasons known but to God when I was just walking along minding my own business but the cops were on them pretty quick. I was never sure what it was even about. I think the person was mental or something. Not sure. They did their thing without even involving me other than telling me to step back so it must have been someone known to them.

Peter1469
01-17-2018, 09:06 PM
I had to go to an off site meeting for the day and took metro in. On the way home I saw some lady walking around with a bag dropping something off next to people. She got to me and I saw it was a green index card and a small pack of tissue paper. To paraphrase, it said I am a homeless single mother of two and I am offering this simple pack of tissue with the hope that you will help me out. I think everyone on the car did. She was making out like a bandit. Better than sitting on the corner making a nuisance out of yourself.

gamewell45
01-17-2018, 09:22 PM
I used to commute to NYC which was an 86 mile trip one-way; the train used to hit speeds of 90 mph on the main stretches and I always wondered how bad a shape we would be in if that train ever derailed at that speed or hit another train head on. Thank god that never occurred when i was on the train.