PDA

View Full Version : The government shutdown

pjohns
01-21-2018, 07:18 PM
The current government shutdown--which impacts, chiefly, members of the military--has largely (and, for the most part, successfully) been blamed upon the Democrats. There are several reasons for this, I believe. For one thing, the term, "Schumer Shutdown," is alliterative; it rolls off the tongue far better than "Trump Shutdown," or (alternatively) "Republican Shutdown." Also, the argument--which is quite persuasive, I believe--that the Democrats care more about illegal aliens than they care about American citizens, strikes a chord with many Americans. Finally, the center-left media have been more receptive to the GOP this time than during any previous shutdown. The New York Times is a prime example.

Crepitus
01-21-2018, 07:22 PM
The current government shutdown--which impacts, chiefly, members of the military--has largely (and, for the most part, successfully) been blamed upon the Democrats. There are several reasons for this, I believe. For one thing, the term, "Schumer Shutdown," is alliterative; it rolls off the tongue far better than "Trump Shutdown," or (alternatively) "Republican Shutdown." Also, the argument--which is quite persuasive, I believe--that the Democrats care more about illegal aliens than they care about American citizens, strikes a chord with many Americans. Finally, the center-left media have been more receptive to the GOP this time than during any previous shutdown. The New York Times is a prime example.

Lol, gotta get outta the rw blogosphere .

That's not how it's really playing out at all.

stjames1_53
01-21-2018, 07:22 PM
lord know I'd never credit msm with doing one thing righteous

stjames1_53
01-21-2018, 07:25 PM
DACA is DOA, their funding is done, they are finished.
Cali is next on the immigration hit list. Trump meant what he said.
I like it!!!!
good times, indeed

Crepitus
01-21-2018, 07:29 PM
DACA is DOA, their funding is done, they are finished.
Cali is next on the immigration hit list. Trump meant what he said.
I like it!!!!
good times, indeed

So, your good with punishing the next generation for the actions of the parents then?

resister
01-21-2018, 08:06 PM
So, your good with punishing the next generation for the actions of the parents then?
Reparations, when they reached legal age, what is the excuses for not seeking to gain citizenship?

stjames1_53
01-21-2018, 08:24 PM

what punishment? Why must everything boil down to victims with you?

Crepitus
01-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Reparations, when they reached legal age, what is the excuses for not seeking to gain citizenship?

No path. Duh. That's what this is all about.

Crepitus
01-21-2018, 09:27 PM
what punishment? Why must everything boil down to victims with you?

Don't be deliberately thick.

Kacper
01-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Most do not qualify to apply for citizenship as they do not have a close relative who is a citizen and the ones that otherwise do would have to leave the country and apply to be readmitted and stand in line.

stjames1_53
01-22-2018, 05:46 AM
Don't be deliberately thick.

you are playing the victim card for people you don't eve know......................and you refer to me as thick??? o m g

pjohns
01-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Lol, gotta get outta the rw blogosphere .
That's not how it's really playing out at all.

Of course, it is essentially moot now, as the government shutdown is over.

The Week says that, should a government shutdown happen, "34 percent of the public would blame Democrats, 32 percent would blame Republicans, and 21 percent would blame Trump."

The poll I had seen previously, on FNC, showed a much larger gap between the two parties.

In any case, there are still some implications for the upcoming midterm elections.

The party out of power in the White House--that would be the Democrats--usually prospers during the midterms.

Also, the American people generally prefer divided government, as a check on power--currently, the Republicans control the House, the Senate, and the White House--so this is another factor that plays well for the Democrats.

But there are far more Senate seats being defended by Democrats in 2018--25, in fact--than are being defended by Republicans (just eight). This acts as something of a counterweight to the two other factors, above.

I would just note that it would really be better to view things analytically than just to reflexively blame "the rw blogosphere"...