PDA

View Full Version : China is buying America

ptif219
12-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Obama will do nothing to stop any of this

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/27/chinese-buyers-lead-foreign-investment-in-us-housing-market/

As the U.S. housing market slowly starts to recover, foreign investment is helping it along.
According to the National Association of Realtors, non-American buyers accounted for $82 billion in home sales last year. More than $7 billion of that is by the Chinese, who are now the second largest foreign home purchasers after Canadians. They're buying high-end, multimillion-dollar homes from California to New York and paying cash.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-10/chinese-investors-buy-80-of-aig-plane-unit-for-4-23-billion.html

A Chinese group agreed to buy 80.1 percent of American International Group Inc. (AIG) (http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/AIG:US)’s plane-leasing unit (http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/0067543Q:US) for $4.23 billion in the nation’s largest acquisition of a U.S. company.
The International Lease Finance Corp. acquirers, led by New China (http://topics.bloomberg.com/china/) Trust Co. Chairman Weng Xianding, have an option to buy another 9.9 percent, New York-based AIG said today in a statement. The transaction, which values ILFC at $5.3 billion, passes China Investment Corp.’s $3 billion purchase of a stake in Blackstone Group LP (BX) (http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/BX:US) in 2007 as the biggest Chinese-U.S. deal.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/f5d46552-4225-11e2-979e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2EcnkraoE

A Chinese car parts maker has won the auction for bankrupt US battery maker A123 Systems, in a further success in international dealmaking for Chinese groups.
Wanxiang Group bid about $257m to win the auction for the battery maker, which supplies electric cars. The sale still requires the approval of the Delaware court where A123 filed for bankruptcy.

The US group will formally submit the bid to the court for approval on Tuesday. The sale will also require the approval of the US Committee on Foreign Investment.

RollingWave
12-10-2012, 06:24 AM
This is almost as dumb as the whole Japan's buying America thing back in the 80s and early 90s

Foreign investment drives most economy these days, a country gets foreign investment because it's attractive, if China's really out to buy a country, they'd certainly target much easier targets (aka small poor country) . that's just common sense. it's like saying the Chinese are buying say... Coca Cola because they imported a gazillion ton of it last year and Obama should totally stop the Chinese from buying US products!

If anything, foreign investment going up is generally a sign of improving economy, though real estate tend to be more tricky since it's also prone to creating bubbles that really hurt local people (though typically a problem that's only serious for smaller and more densely populated countries) . as a saying here goes, you can't expect the Horse to both run and not eat grass.

One can argue that higher property price will hurt young people looking to buy their first home, but at the same time millions of American families are getting badly hurt because their home value is lower than their original mortgage on the house while the residential construction / developing / sales market is also not exactly doing great, higher home value address all of that, you can't expect to have it both ways.

If there is a fundamental truth to economic theory that all schools will agree on, it's that everything has a cost benefit, you can not say... want everyone badly hurt by mortgage sink to get out of it (without diverting said cost to someone else.. like banks or taxpayers) , while property price remain oh so cheap for everyone. you'll either have one or the other.

Cigar
12-10-2012, 08:46 AM
China can't buy what America doesn't sell.

ptif219
12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
So we should just learn to speak Chinese. First Obama borrows trillions from them now they buy up property and Obama failed green companies and bank assets.

When will Obama work on fixing the economy so we can do the buying?

Cigar
12-10-2012, 09:16 AM
So we should just learn to speak Chinese. First Obama borrows trillions from them now they buy up property and Obama failed green companies and bank assets.

Ever hear of The American Jobs Act proposed on September 8, 2011?

ptif219
12-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Ever hear of The American Jobs Act proposed on September 8, 2011?

You mean the one Reid blocked?

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/10/06/reid-blocks-vote-on-obamas-jobs-plan/

Cigar
12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
You mean the one Reid blocked?

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/10/06/reid-blocks-vote-on-obamas-jobs-plan/

Yes ... that one ...

Cantor confirmed to a reporter on October 3 that the bill as a complete package was effectively "dead" and that only parts of the American Jobs Act would be passed. With Obama stating a willingness to consider a piecemeal approach on the legislation, Cantor said "At this point I think that Washington has become so dysfunctional that we've got to start focusing on the incremental progress we can make. Both sides want to do the big, bold things -- the problem is they look vastly different."

Ranger
12-10-2012, 02:36 PM
So are you saying that since they both partys don't want to agree on anything the other wants the U.S. just going to keep fighting until we notice that china's buying all our stock.

ptif219
12-10-2012, 05:07 PM
It appears the democrats and Obama are willing to sell the US to China

RollingWave
12-10-2012, 09:26 PM

A. learning a major foreign language has always been one of the most fool proof career advice in the last few centuries. it's the same reason why everyone outside of the US learns English, that doesn't mean the US bought the world. My sister was poached by head hunting companies at the age of 25 with nothing but a bachelor degree, for one obvious reason, she spoke Chinese / English / Japanese with native fluency all at the same time, she pretty much makes more money than anyone her age that isn't a practicing doctor.

B. the budget were and will be approved by both house, which the GOP has controlled at least about 40-50% of the time during the last 2 decade. and they also controlled the Presidency about the same time as well, it's hard to say that this is a one party, let alone a one person thing that lead to the debt built up. I'm all for debt reduction, my problem with the GOP is that I see them talk about it way more than actually doing it, especially in terms of the Fed budget, and I can not agree with virtually leaving the defense spending untouched while slashing everything else and openly claiming the US should basically just get out of the entire world.

C. What your saying is essentially the same baffoonery that existed in the Carter / Reagan / Bush Sr. days only replacing the word China with Japan, and yet it ended up in what was a hugely successful economic era in the later Reagan and Clinton years where the US position (relative to Japan or otherwise) and economic prosperity essentially went nowhere but up.

ptif219
12-11-2012, 04:29 AM
A. learning a major foreign language has always been one of the most fool proof career advice in the last few centuries. it's the same reason why everyone outside of the US learns English, that doesn't mean the US bought the world. My sister was poached by head hunting companies at the age of 25 with nothing but a bachelor degree, for one obvious reason, she spoke Chinese / English / Japanese with native fluency all at the same time, she pretty much makes more money than anyone her age that isn't a practicing doctor.

B. the budget were and will be approved by both house, which the GOP has controlled at least about 40-50% of the time during the last 2 decade. and they also controlled the Presidency about the same time as well, it's hard to say that this is a one party, let alone a one person thing that lead to the debt built up. I'm all for debt reduction, my problem with the GOP is that I see them talk about it way more than actually doing it, especially in terms of the Fed budget, and I can not agree with virtually leaving the defense spending untouched while slashing everything else and openly claiming the US should basically just get out of the entire world.

C. What your saying is essentially the same baffoonery that existed in the Carter / Reagan / Bush Sr. days only replacing the word China with Japan, and yet it ended up in what was a hugely successful economic era in the later Reagan and Clinton years where the US position (relative to Japan or otherwise) and economic prosperity essentially went nowhere but up.

There has been no budget for Obama he will not want one now

Obama is borrowing money to pay for his spending

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/7/government-borrows-46-cents-every-dollar-it-spends/

RollingWave
12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I think you might want to read up on how the US government actually function. the President can not enact any spending (outside of some dire emergencies ) that the House doesn't approve. Borrowing money is to make up for the difference of said approved budget versus the actual revenue from Taxes which of course, the executive branch also doesn't have full control over.

ptif219
12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I think you might want to read up on how the US government actually function. the President can not enact any spending (outside of some dire emergencies ) that the House doesn't approve. Borrowing money is to make up for the difference of said approved budget versus the actual revenue from Taxes which of course, the executive branch also doesn't have full control over.

What budget? Obama and the democrats have not passed one in years