PDA

View Full Version : The Hypocrisy and Tyranny of ‘Who We Are’

Chris
01-26-2018, 02:52 PM
This goes along with the video I posted the other day of a gay guy telling liberals to stop telling him what's in his best interests.

The Hypocrisy and Tyranny of ‘Who We Are’ (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-hypocrisy-and-tyranny-of-who-we-are/)

Listening to Fox News Democratic contributor Jessica Tarlov condemn Trump for what he might or might not have said about certain Third World countries, I began to gag when a now-familiar phrase was uttered: “This is not who we are as a people.” Tarlov had already reeled off all the bad things we were not, such as homophobic and drawers of distinctions between ethnicities and genders, all of which apparently run counter to our heritage and are un-American. Indeed any time we deviate from the positions that our national media and public educators associate with being “who we are,” we become un-American. Perhaps anyone who violates these standards should be dragged before the modern equivalent of the House Un-American Activities Committee, although being destroyed by the media socially and professionally may do just as well for our anti-patriotic lowlifes.

It seems statements can only contradict “who we are” if they’re expressed past the point in time that the media decided they were no longer allowed. So President Clinton was not being homophobic when he pushed successfully for the Defense of Marriage Act. That’s because he did that in 1996, before gay marriage became an integral part of “who we are.” And Richard Durbin was not being un-American when he called for ending “chain migration” on the floor of the Senate in 2010, since the Left had not yet made the term and the policy it refers to incompatible with “who we are.” Durbin would later go after President Trump for using that exact same expression because it offends black citizens whose ancestors “were brought here in chains.” Ditto when the very liberal Senator Edward Kennedy assured critics of the 1965 immigration reform bill that the legislation would not “upset the ethnic mix” in the United States and would “not inundate America with immigrants from…the most populated and economically deprived nations of Africa and Asia.” Back then, the left could say such things without being in violation of “who we are.” That’s because it was not yet going after Donald Trump.

...What Tarlov and Will really mean to tell us is that certain elites, who know what is best for all of us, have decided what our heritage should be and which social reforms we should unanimously endorse. Perhaps they’re right in believing that the populace can’t be trusted to deal with these matters. But then they should openly say so. Don’t invent popular affirmations for what elites decide for us, and don’t create a constantly changing narrative about “who we are.”

MisterVeritis
01-26-2018, 05:32 PM
It kinda sucks that everything is inside a quote box.

Tahuyaman
01-27-2018, 02:06 PM
From the Op......
Perhaps they’re right in believing that the populace can’t be trusted to deal with these matters.

I'm of the belief that the populace can be trusted more easily than government.

Chris
01-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Here's the thing, if I make a decision to do something, it affects me and a small circle around me, family, friends, perhaps employees if I had any. When the federal government makes a decision, based on the opinions of a few elites, who can't know what the people want, and rarely consider consequences, it affect millions.