PDA

View Full Version : Immigration? Why is this so hard to get a compormise on.

zelmo1234
01-31-2018, 02:50 PM
I just spent a few minutes looking into the details on the Immigration Reform that President Trump up on the Table.

What I like the most is that neither side likes this law. So what is not to like about it?

If you are going to call is Racist, I will ask that you explain just how is favors people using the color of their skin as the deciding factor. If you can't explain that, please keep your comments to yourself.

So lets look at the run down of what the law does and does not do.

#1 It provides 20 - 28 billion dollars to build a wall in problem areas, this is not a complete solution. Some of this money is in enforcement dollars

#2 It provides a path to citizenship for the so Called Dreamers about 700 thousands of them, providing that they have a clean record and are supporting themselves. It also provides a path to legalization for their immediate family me members bringing the total number to about 2 million people.

#3 It end Lottery Immigration and replaces that with Merritt base programs which bring people into the country that are need, that will not have to burden the government or the people. They would be vetted so they would not be smugglers or criminals.

#4 IT ends chain or family migration which would of course end some of the common ways that terrorists have entered into the country, and make sure that the people that are let in are needed and want to be here.

Now I realize that this plan is not perfect, but on something this large nobody gets everything that they want.

So have at it. Why is this worse than what we have now.

Captdon
01-31-2018, 02:55 PM
I just spent a few minutes looking into the details on the Immigration Reform that President Trump up on the Table.

What I like the most is that neither side likes this law. So what is not to like about it?

If you are going to call is Racist, I will ask that you explain just how is favors people using the color of their skin as the deciding factor. If you can't explain that, please keep your comments to yourself.

So lets look at the run down of what the law does and does not do.

#1 It provides 20 - 28 billion dollars to build a wall in problem areas, this is not a complete solution. Some of this money is in enforcement dollars

#2 It provides a path to citizenship for the so Called Dreamers about 700 thousands of them, providing that they have a clean record and are supporting themselves. It also provides a path to legalization for their immediate family me members bringing the total number to about 2 million people.

#3 It end Lottery Immigration and replaces that with Merritt base programs which bring people into the country that are need, that will not have to burden the government or the people. They would be vetted so they would not be smugglers or criminals.

#4 IT ends chain or family migration which would of course end some of the common ways that terrorists have entered into the country, and make sure that the people that are let in are needed and want to be here.

Now I realize that this plan is not perfect, but on something this large nobody gets everything that they want.

So have at it. Why is this worse than what we have now.

We can deport these people for one thing. They don't belong here. It started as 600,000 and now it's 1.8 million. Don't be a rube. Trump holds the ace and why should the Dems get 1.8 million? I might go along with 600,000. Otherwise, Trump broke his word totally.

resister
01-31-2018, 02:57 PM
The problem with number 2 (IMO) is they are lying about the number, it is likely around 2 million.

MisterVeritis
01-31-2018, 03:05 PM
To get more bad behavior reward it. No citizenship for illegal aliens.

zelmo1234
01-31-2018, 05:36 PM
The problem with number 2 (IMO) is they are lying about the number, it is likely around 2 million.

I think that you are correct that is what I have in my post and it is about what I can see. It would be easy enough to put a hard cap of 2 million.

It is going to take 60 votes so Conservatives like myself are not going to get everything that we want. But that is really how it is supposed to work.

There is some political pop to having the white house when the law is passed. Look with that civil Rights act did for the Democrats, and they largely opposed it.

zelmo1234
01-31-2018, 05:39 PM
To get more bad behavior reward it. No citizenship for illegal aliens.
The problem with that is you get NO wall, you get NO end to chain Immigration and you don't get Merritt based Immigration.

what you get is about a million new illegals every year.

The only way that you can make your play is to use the Military to round up the illegals. perp walk the people that are employing them. And that will lead to a loss of power.

If the vetting process is done correctly you are going to loose about 25% of these little DACA kids.

MisterVeritis
01-31-2018, 06:45 PM
The problem with that is you get NO wall, you get NO end to chain Immigration and you don't get Merritt based Immigration.
It is merit. One "r". One "t".

Right now we get a promise of future money for the wall. And we get a promise we will address chain migration.
If President Trump gets actual money, and all of it for the wall, plus legislation to end chain migration and the lottery program first, and if the wall is completed before we make any promise, however faulty of a path to citizenship, I might grudgingly go along.

But not before.

President Trump can fire all of the paper pushers who bring in the immigrants. And that ends chain migration and the lottery without spending another dime. I will believe he is serious when I see the state department staff reduced by 50%.

Captdon
01-31-2018, 07:31 PM
I think that you are correct that is what I have in my post and it is about what I can see. It would be easy enough to put a hard cap of 2 million.

It is going to take 60 votes so Conservatives like myself are not going to get everything that we want. But that is really how it is supposed to work.

There is some political pop to having the white house when the law is passed. Look with that civil Rights act did for the Democrats, and they largely opposed it.

It takes 60 votes for any of it probably. If Trump says no to 1.8 then it's a no go. He threw out a number to get reaction. He got one. It's them or us. I don't want any of them but I can take 600,000 for a fully funded wall.

MisterVeritis
01-31-2018, 07:33 PM
It takes 60 votes for any of it probably. If Trump says no to 1.8 then it's a no go. He threw out a number to get reaction. He got one. It's them or us. I don't want any of them but I can take 600,000 for a fully funded wall.
In my opinion, the wall is not as important as ending chain migration and reducing legal immigration.

NapRover
01-31-2018, 07:38 PM
If they want to have guards every 10 ft along the entire border, I’m ok with no wall. I just want a halt to illegal immigration and amnesty programs.

zelmo1234
01-31-2018, 08:55 PM
I think that he has really set this up brilliantly.

The Democrats need this issue in 2018. They are going to have to go against an immigration plan that most people will think is very reasonable. They have to keep their base and play the turn out game in an off year.

However, they are looking so stupid right now that it will likely bring the Reagan Democrats back to the GOP and it will motivate the GOP to the polls.

If the economy is doing what it is predicted to be doing in 2020, the GOP could get the 60 votes needed in the Senate. But they need to keep control of it in 2018 so they can only give up 2 seats.