PDA

View Full Version : Politics Trump’s ‘marching orders’ to the Pentagon: Plan a grand military parade

Trish
02-06-2018, 06:46 PM
President Trump’s vision of soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards of Washington is moving closer to reality in the Pentagon and White House, where officials say they have begun to plan a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” said a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the planning discussions are supposed to remain confidential. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-marching-orders-to-the-pentagon-plan-a-grand-military-parade/2018/02/06/9e19ca88-0b55-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?utm_term=.d9e4207c2edd

Peter1469
02-06-2018, 06:50 PM
A dog and pony show. When I was in the 82nd ABN we had to do similar things (our way) when dignitaries came to Ft. Bragg. We would conduct a mass attack to seize an air field for follow-on forces to land to secure the area. Unfortunately when dignitaries were there we had to stretch the safety rules and would jump even in high winds. A lot of us got hurt doing that.

Trish
02-06-2018, 06:55 PM
A dog and pony show. When I was in the 82nd ABN we had to do similar things (our way) when dignitaries came to Ft. Bragg. We would conduct a mass attack to seize an air field for follow-on forces to land to secure the area. Unfortunately when dignitaries were there we had to stretch the safety rules and would jump even in high winds. A lot of us got hurt doing that.

I'm torn about this. It seems like he's trying to make us more like a Country with a dictator. On the other hand.....what kinda girl would I be to turn down looking at a bunch of guys in excellent physical shape wearing uniforms while marching by? It's like an endless buffett.....sigh

jimmyz
02-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Marching and fly-overs would be great. I would enjoy attending to show pride in their service but I wouldn't want paratroopers risking life and limp as Peter pointed out.

Peter1469
02-06-2018, 07:13 PM
I'm torn about this. It seems like he's trying to make us more like a Country with a dictator. On the other hand.....what kinda girl would I be to turn down looking at a bunch of guys in excellent physical shape wearing uniforms while marching by? It's like an endless buffett.....sigh

Now there should be plenty of fit girls- oops, I meant women, in formation too.

jimmyz
02-06-2018, 07:19 PM
Now there should be plenty of fit girls- oops, I meant women, in formation too.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HgCxjBDSKLc/maxresdefault.jpg

Captdon
02-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Better than marching off to war.

Agent Zero
02-06-2018, 07:21 PM
President Trump’s vision of soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards of Washington is moving closer to reality in the Pentagon and White House, where officials say they have begun to plan a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” said a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the planning discussions are supposed to remain confidential. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-marching-orders-to-the-pentagon-plan-a-grand-military-parade/2018/02/06/9e19ca88-0b55-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?utm_term=.d9e4207c2edd

We were talking about this today.

The man is certifiable.

Mini Me
02-06-2018, 07:23 PM

Trump wants military parades that rival Kim Jong Un's!

https://youtu.be/NKLUkfpmkaQ

Trish
02-06-2018, 07:39 PM
I don't think those ladies are with the US Military, are they?

jimmyz
02-06-2018, 07:48 PM
I don't think those ladies are with the US Military, are they?

Snipped off a page using images of Israeli and Russian female troops.

Crepitus
02-06-2018, 07:54 PM
More banana republic junk. Silly, but harmless enough.

Peter1469
02-06-2018, 08:25 PM
Bad optics.

Just think of what the media would do with it.

gamewell45
02-06-2018, 08:38 PM

How much is that going to cost the taxpayers? What's the purpose of it?

Trish
02-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Bad optics.

i think it's more than bad optics. Many of the members here including yourself have served. Our military has been at war for many many years. They are stretched thin. To ask them to put on a parade when most of our service men and women are not interested in being in the spotlight is shortsighted to say the least.

It will cost a lot of money, a lot of practice, and a lot of spitting and shining up the tanks and other military equipment.

Common
02-06-2018, 08:45 PM
To me thats just ridiculous, we dont need NK like parades, we know what we are and what we can do.

Crepitus
02-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Bad optics.

Thats his lookout. He wants to look stupid? I say "let him".

Peter1469
02-06-2018, 08:58 PM
i think it's more than bad optics. Many of the members here including yourself have served. Our military has been at war for many many years. They are stretched thin. To ask them to put on a parade when most of our service men and women are not interested in being in the spotlight is shortsighted to say the least.

It will cost a lot of money, a lot of practice, and a lot of spitting and shining up the tanks and other military equipment.
Part of my unit was the first US forces into Saudi Arabia soon after Saddam seized Kuwait. We were the first conventional forces over the border a day prior to the official invasion. We were 35 miles inside Iraq before the ground war kicked off. We opened a breach for the 18th ABN Corps. We got almost no sleep for the next 36 hours. After the ground offensive was over Big Army let us depart first. Rumor has it we were asked to be part of the NYC parade thing- whatever it was. Our commander declined. So we didn't have to do it. I would have liked to see NYC, but I had no interest in being in a dog and pony show.

Agent Zero
02-06-2018, 09:49 PM

You spelled “Banana Republican “ wrong.

Crepitus
02-06-2018, 09:51 PM
You spelled “Banana Republican “ wrong.

Ooh I like that!

Gonna steal it!

Agent Zero
02-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Ooh I like that!

Gonna steal it!
I say it all the time at work and said it in a thread on here a few days ago. Yesterday at State we were watching the tv in the cafeteria and a pundit said it. Hilarity and high fiving ensued.

Captdon
02-07-2018, 09:44 AM

The man is certifiable.

Why? You not liking it doesn't mean anything. State a fact instead of thinking your opinion is a fact.

Cletus
02-07-2018, 11:13 AM

The man is certifiable.

Military parades were not uncommon right up until the Vietnam era when they kind of died out.

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/7a87f540eef547e3be97b4d51fae30f3/military-parade-in-new-york-1942-cpmwdb.jpg

If you really hate working for your boss so much, you should quit and get a real job.

ripmeister
02-07-2018, 12:07 PM
LOL! This is so Trump. If you're confident in the quality of your Johnson you don't need to whip it out to compare to everyone else. GEEEEEZ!

jimmyz
02-07-2018, 12:32 PM
IMO President Trump is trolling the Leftist military haters and they are too asleep to realize it. He floats an idea and then uses the antis as fodder in his, "Do you see, they don't support our military!" You anti-Trumpers are slipping.

nathanbforrest45
02-07-2018, 12:51 PM
As a Navy veteran I would like to see an appreciation of our military members, However, even more importantly, anything that pisses off the Democrats gets top marks from me.

Cletus
02-07-2018, 01:06 PM
IMO President Trump is trolling the Leftist military haters and they are too asleep to realize it. He floats an idea and then uses the antis as fodder in his, "Do you see, they don't support our military!" You anti-Trumpers are slipping.

You nailed it.

Trump plays the left like a cheap fiddle.

ripmeister
02-07-2018, 03:55 PM
As a Navy veteran I would like to see an appreciation of our military members, However, even more importantly, anything that pisses off the Democrats gets top marks from me.
Heres an idea. To show that appreciation why not put that money into programs that actually help active military and veterans.

DGUtley
02-07-2018, 04:05 PM
I do not like this. It is too... Soviet-era.

Hoosier8
02-07-2018, 04:19 PM

Maybe Trump is channeling FDR and should do this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVb8c--XUAAppO0.jpg

ripmeister
02-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Aside from the Bastille Day parade in France which has been going on for a hundred years these types of parades are done by authoritarian regimes.

Trish
02-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Maybe Trump is channeling FDR and should do this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVb8c--XUAAppO0.jpg

EGADS - I hope not! hahahahaha

AZ Jim
02-07-2018, 04:33 PM
I'm torn about this. It seems like he's trying to make us more like a Country with a dictator. On the other hand.....what kinda girl would I be to turn down looking at a bunch of guys in excellent physical shape wearing uniforms while marching by? It's like an endless buffett.....sighThis IS a country with a dictator! He now pots us right in there with N. Korea, china, Russia etal...

Hoosier8
02-07-2018, 04:40 PM
This IS a country with a dictator! He now pots us right in there with N. Korea, china, Russia etal...

And JFK.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/180207002301-kennedy-inauguration-military-parade-exlarge-169.jpg

Trish
02-07-2018, 05:03 PM
This IS a country with a dictator! He now pots us right in there with N. Korea, china, Russia etal...

I understand your frustration. I'm not over the top about this either. It is going to be costly and I think it does nothing but inconvenience our service men and women.

You're right to point out that more bad leaders hold these type of parades than good leaders.

Hoosier8
02-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Of course this may be much ado about nothing since it is more 'unnamed sources' that have often ended up being wrong.

Could just be clickbait to drive revenue.

Peter1469
02-07-2018, 05:29 PM

I don't like it either. When enlisted I was a field soldier. Drill and ceremony, parades, etc take away from training time.

Peter1469
02-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Unhinged.

jimmyz
02-07-2018, 05:34 PM
I would love to attend the parade if I could. I don't agree that "it's a dictator's dick measuring contest" thing. We have had military parades since forever and they were never about "Soviet style" posing.

I think the Fourth of July would make a great time for it.

I would like to see US ingenuity present as well. Companies like SpaceX and the like.