PDA

View Full Version : Dem Rep Retiring, Opens Important Battleground Seat

Common
02-10-2018, 03:02 AM
Rep. Rick Nolan (D-MN) has given Republicans a prime opportunity to scoop up a battleground seat in the November midterms.
The Democrat announced (https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/09/rick-nolan-minnesota-no-reelection-581878) his retirement Friday and shared the following message with his constituents.

To the great people of Minnesota’s 8th District: I am announcing today that I will not seek re-election.

The gratitude and affection I have for all of you here in Northern Minnesota is beyond my ability to express in words.

You can read my full statement below. pic.twitter.com/C2ef1u3P8l (https://t.co/C2ef1u3P8l)
— US Rep. Rick Nolan (@USRepRickNolan) February 9, 2018 (https://twitter.com/USRepRickNolan/status/962014744902123520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)Some statistics are in Republicans' favor. For instance, Donald Trump won the district by 16 points in the 2016 presidential election.
The National Republican Congressional Committee is well aware of this and is already prepping its candidate, Pete Stauber, a St. Louis County commissioner and a police officer.
"We currently have one of the strongest recruits in the country, Pete Stauber, in the race who's garnering strong local support,” said NRCC communications director Matt Gorman.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/02/09/dem-rep-retiring-opens-important-battleground-seat-n2446913

Kacper
02-10-2018, 04:30 AM
Not sure it is a real battleground seat since the democratic-farm-labor party has held that seat every term except 1 since the 1940's. I have trouble seeing the district swing to the GOP off Trump coattails.

Common
02-10-2018, 05:07 AM
Not sure it is a real battleground seat since the democratic-farm-labor party has held that seat every term except 1 since the 1940's. I have trouble seeing the district swing to the GOP off Trump coattails.

I tend to agree with you but in this crazy environment anything can happen

Kacper
02-10-2018, 09:12 AM
I tend to agree with you but in this crazy environment anything can happen

That and it is afterall Minnesota

Adelaide
02-10-2018, 11:04 AM

Right. I do not really see it happening that a Republican will take it.

Kacper
02-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Right. I do not really see it happening that a Republican will take it.

It depends on who the candidates are and how they match up, but the DFL seems to have the district dialed in pretty good. Stranger things could happen. Dems controlled our local house seat forever and then we had someone switch parties. Up until then our dems were sometimes even more conservative than the GOP candidates, but for reasons known but to God, the DNC nominee was a black guy who was a huge advocate for reparations. He was slaughtered on election day. Even the traditional local democratic base largely fled from him.

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Plus Trump's coattails are getting sorter all the time.

Captdon
02-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Not likely. A retirement doesn't mean the other side will, or has a chance, to win. Trey Gowdy is retiring and there is no chance of a democrat winning here.

Captdon
02-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Trump has no coattails anymore than Obama had.

Kacper
02-10-2018, 02:15 PM

But his comb-over is getting huge enough for a few people to stand on it and be dragged across the finish line :afro:

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 02:21 PM
But his comb-over is getting huge enough for a few people to stand on it and be dragged across the finish line :afro:

Common
02-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Crepitus you are wrong once again, two months ago the house and senate for the republicans were gone by all the polls. Fast forward today and those same numbers reflect uhhh not so fast. Trump has made up alot of ground

Common
02-10-2018, 03:10 PM
You are starting to get like cigar and exotix, having no argument or rebuttal at all that makes sense, so you post silly gifs. That just doesnt work crep

Grokmaster
02-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Minnesotans could very well be upset with the "Illegals over Americans" plank in the Dem platform...and be veeeeery happy with the tax cuts, as well....

Peter1469
02-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Minnesotans could very well be upset with the "Illegals over Americans" plank in the Dem platform...and be veeeeery happy with the tax cuts, as well....
That may well be true. Minnesota has one of the worse groups of illegals- a group that other Muslims warned the US about with regards to legal immigration. Somalis.

Grokmaster
02-10-2018, 04:00 PM
That may well be true. Minnesota has one of the worse groups of illegals- a group that other Muslims warned the US about with regards to legal immigration. Somalis.

And a silent backlash of conservatives, who have had enough...
Greater Minnesota Is Rejecting Liberalism

https://www.americanexperiment.org/2017/04/greater-minnesota-rejecting-liberalism/

zelmo1234
02-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Wait so his favorability rating is at its highest point, the right track wrong track is finally in his favor, the Generic ballot favors the Republicans for the first time since his election.

Where are you getting your information

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 04:41 PM
You are starting to get like cigar and exotix, having no argument or rebuttal at all that makes sense, so you post silly gifs. That just doesnt work crep

Hey, I was including you and most of the other tPF republicans in the "misguided" catagory.

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Wait so his favorability rating is at its highest point, the right track wrong track is finally in his favor, the Generic ballot favors the Republicans for the first time since his election.

Meh, won't last.

Captdon
02-10-2018, 09:03 PM

He really doesn't have coattails. He unique as was Obama.

Grokmaster
02-10-2018, 09:36 PM
The GOP will GAIN SEATS in both Houses, just like the 1st Midterm under GW Bush...IMHO.