PDA

View Full Version : Trump doesn't get the 'best people.' He gets the worst. Here's why.

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 11:51 AM
The author of this bit in "the Week" is a flaming liberal who hates Trump, but he does bring up a good point: Why can't Trump attract "the best people" as he'd claimed he'd do in 2015?: “I’m going to surround myself only with the best and most serious people. We want top of the line professionals”.

From the very beginning the Trump White House has been a reality TV show with a huuuuuge, constantly changing cast of characters. It's like Trump is deliberately constantly churning the mix for fun. Now we have this latest scandal with wife-beater Porter.

Trump doesn't get the 'best people.' He gets the worst. Here's why.
http://theweek.com/articles/753966/trump-doesnt-best-people-gets-worst-heres-why
.....Of course, you can't blame the president directly for every misdeed of every one of his appointees. Given the thousands of people who work for the president, there's bound to be some bad apples. But to see why this administration is so filled with the worst people, you can compare it to Trump's predecessor. Barack Obama's administration was one of the most scandal-free in history, and why was that? The first reason is that just about every Democrat in Washington wanted to work for Obama. The administration had no trouble filling any job; the question was which of the many qualified candidates they'd decide to choose. As a result, they could actually populate the White House and agencies with what Trump would call "the best people."

The situation today is radically different. Washington is full of competent, experienced Republicans who are unwilling to forever sully their reputations by working for this president. To paraphrase something Trump once said about Mexico, when the GOP sends people to work in the Trump White House, they aren't sending their best — because the best are smart enough to realize that they want to have a career after Trump is gone. So you wind up with people who are inexperienced, incompetent, or free of the moral qualms any sensible person would have about becoming a Trump aide.

Which brings us to the second and perhaps more important reason: The president's own strengths and weaknesses will be reflected in the people he attracts. If you admire Trump, you'll want to work for him. And what kind of person actually admires Trump? It can't be someone who values honesty, who thinks you have to treat people with respect and integrity, who thinks there's some higher purpose in life than getting yours and screwing over anyone who gets in your way.

If you go to work for Trump, you know beforehand that it's probably going to require you to compromise whatever principles you have. Which naturally means that people who have no principles in the first place are going to be the ones most eager to sign up.

MMC
02-10-2018, 12:01 PM
:rollseyes:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/23/a4/6b/23a46b3ab2c2289d1fe77dc4ae888d1f.jpg
http://breakingdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/04/Lt.-Gen.-H.R.-McMaster-at-AUSA.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RNM7i4woo-8/WaHL7gKp_jI/AAAAAAAAESs/Xbcr3R0X8lksE4z7XZhYYWaGLMw7c4XhQCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/Gen-Kelly.jpg

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Silly thread based on an even sillier premise.

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 12:51 PM

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/23/a4/6b/23a46b3ab2c2289d1fe77dc4ae888d1f.jpg
http://breakingdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/04/Lt.-Gen.-H.R.-McMaster-at-AUSA.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RNM7i4woo-8/WaHL7gKp_jI/AAAAAAAAESs/Xbcr3R0X8lksE4z7XZhYYWaGLMw7c4XhQCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/Gen-Kelly.jpg
Now if we can only get more leaders elected and less amateurs in elected office.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Now if we can only get more leaders elected and less amateurs in elected office.

So now you are willing to acknowledge that the premise of the thread is partisan nonsense?

NapRover
02-10-2018, 12:57 PM
I like his cabinet a lot. I believe if they’re not the best, they’re close enough.

NapRover
02-10-2018, 12:58 PM
And I don’t buy the Obama admin being scandal-free either

MMC
02-10-2018, 01:03 PM

Indeed....of course if we get rid of the Democrats. That task will be made easier. Just sayin. :wink:

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 01:15 PM

Well that one, and a debatable one at that. There are 15 cabinet posts, and he is a possible war criminal.

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 01:59 PM
So now you are willing to acknowledge that the premise of the thread is partisan nonsense?
No. Why do you think that? The fact remains that, although Trump has brought more military professionals into the WH than Obama, he's also made a lot of lousy picks causing unnecessary drama to his administration.

Just so we're clear, I'm not a Trump fan. I think he's a fucking idiot. OTOH, I'd rather have Trump in office than Hillary. Hillary scared the crap out of me. Trump is just an idiot who is his own worst enemy. Worst case scenario with the Trump administration, nothing happens.

Common
02-10-2018, 02:01 PM
I assume based on your thread RoadWarrior that you believe that obama chose the best people ?

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 02:04 PM
No. Why do you think that? The fact remains that, although Trump has brought more military professionals into the WH than Obama, he's also made a lot of lousy picks causing unnecessary drama to his administration.

Just so we're clear, I'm not a Trump fan. I think he's a $#@!ing idiot. OTOH, I'd rather have Trump in office than Hillary. Hillary scared the crap out of me. Trump is just an idiot who is his own worst enemy. Worst case scenario with the Trump administration, nothing happens.

Idiots don't get elected POTUS.

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Idiots don't get elected POTUS.
They do when they're running against Hillary. ;)

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 02:15 PM
They do when they're running against Hillary. ;)

No. An idiot won't make it that far.

This is one of the problems today. Too many people think that one is an idiot because they disagree them or they disapprove of their methods.

Those people arguably are the idiots. They don't have the capability to express themselves any other way.

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 03:05 PM
No. An idiot won't make it that far.
This is one of the problems today. Too many people think that one is an idiot because they disagree them or they disapprove of their methods.
Those people arguably are the idiots. They don't have the capability to express themselves any other way.
Would you prefer I think he's an incompetent, egotistical, overly-pampered narcissist? Regardless how fucked up he is, he's better than Hillary.

Peter1469
02-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Well that one, and a debatable one at that. There are 15 cabinet posts, and he is a possible war criminal.

Explain.

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Explain.

There was considerable debate over his roll in fallujah, something about possible civilian massacres iirc

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Would you prefer I think he's an incompetent, egotistical, overly-pampered narcissist? Regardless how $#@!ed up he is, he's better than Hillary.

That would be better than just claiming he's an idiot. However, he can't be any more egotistical, arrogant and incompetent as his predecessor. He's certainly more decisive that out most recent former president.

AZ Jim
02-10-2018, 05:14 PM
That would be better than just claiming he's an idiot. However, he can't be any more egotistical, arrogant and incompetent as his predecessor. He's certainly more decisive that out most recent former president.Your inability to judge is obvious. History will make the correction for you.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Your inability to judge is obvious. History will make the correction for you.

Nice to see you join in and add nothing.

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 05:33 PM
That would be better than just claiming he's an idiot. However, he can't be any more egotistical, arrogant and incompetent as his predecessor. He's certainly more decisive that out most recent former president.
Decisive, maybe. He seems to waffle a lot.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Decisive, maybe. He seems to waffle a lot.
Every president waffles at times. Trump is certainly more decisive than Obama ever was. You might disagree with his decisions, but that's a different subject.

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 05:42 PM
Every president waffles at times. Trump is certainly more decisive than Obama ever was. You might disagree with his decisions, but that's a different subject.
Translation: Trump is no different than other Presidents.

Got it. Thanks.

Mister D
02-10-2018, 05:58 PM

Got it. Thanks.

Max/Divine Wind. Welcome back.

Peter1469
02-10-2018, 06:19 PM
There was considerable debate over his roll in fallujah, something about possible civilian massacres iirc

I had not heard that. I understood that civilians were told to leave then a free fire zone was created.

Peter1469
02-10-2018, 06:20 PM
Nice to see you join in and add nothing.

Well, look at his avatar. He self-identifies as a clown.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Well, look at his avatar. He self-identifies as a clown. I noticed that. It is appropriate.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Got it. Thanks.

Whatever. So long. Go try to match wits with Crepitus. That should be funny

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Whatsver. So long. Go try to match wits with Crepitus. That should be funny
Haven't met him yet, but if he's as wrong as you, it should be mildly entertaining.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Haven't met him yet, but if he's as wrong as you, it should be mildly entertaining.

You and him would be a great match.

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 06:52 PM
I had not heard that. I understood that civilians were told to leave then a free fire zone was created.

I was not there of course, and I do know that official reports differ, but this has been a persistent controversy.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/did-defense-secretary-james-mattis-commit-war-crimes-in-iraq/5607347

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Are you kidding me? Trump changes his mind with the wind! His stance on any given matter often seems to have more to do with who he spoke to last than any sort of real reasoning.

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 06:57 PM

Oh I'm nowhere near as wrong as Tahuyaman.

Unless you listen to the conservatives here! Lol!!

I gather you are conservative but not a Trump fan?

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Are you kidding me? Trump changes his mind with the wind! His stance on any given matter often seems to have more to do with who he spoke to last than any sort of real reasoning.

He’s much more decisive than his predecessor.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Oh I'm nowhere near as wrong as Tahuyaman.

Unless you listen to the conservatives here! Lol!!

I gather you are conservative but not a Trump fan?
All you do is troll.

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 07:00 PM
He’s much more decisive than his predecessor.

Lol, not even close!

Peter1469
02-10-2018, 07:01 PM
I was not there of course, and I do know that official reports differ, but this has been a persistent controversy.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/did-defense-secretary-james-mattis-commit-war-crimes-in-iraq/5607347
Wow. Unfortunately, the future of war will be more urban conflict like Fallujiah. If you recall the Battle of Mogadishu up to 1000 civilians were killed in the cross fire between the Islamists and Task Force Ranger.

Crepitus
02-10-2018, 07:02 PM
All you do is troll.

Sure sure, whatever you say. Adults are talking now, you go play.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 07:02 PM
Lol, not even close!
Obama was the most indecisive president in US history.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Sure sure, whatever you say. Adults are talking now, you go play.

They aren’t talking with you. The banning of Bethere really got to you.

Mister D
02-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Wow. Unfortunately, the future of war will be more urban conflict like Fallujiah. If you recall the Battle of Mogadishu up to 1000 civilians were killed in the cross fire between the Islamists and Task Force Ranger.
War is messy and the idea of war crimes is kind of silly, TBH. Those in the position to enforce such "law" will never allow themselves to be subject to it.

Mister D
02-10-2018, 07:10 PM
They aren’t talking with you. The banning of Bethere really got to you.
He contributed so little I already forgot about him. Please mention him no more.

Peter1469
02-10-2018, 07:12 PM
War is messy and the idea of war crimes is kind of silly, TBH. Those in the position to enforce such "law" will never allow themselves to be subject to it.

We prosecuted many soldiers for violating the laws of war when I was last in Iraq.

Mister D
02-10-2018, 07:14 PM
We prosecuted many soldiers for violating the laws of war when I was last in Iraq.
But we would never prosecute those who call the shots.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 07:15 PM
He contributed so little I already forgot about him. Please mention him no more.
Him and Crepitus were a team.

Tahuyaman
02-10-2018, 07:16 PM
None from my unit.

Peter1469
02-10-2018, 07:18 PM
But we would never prosecute those who call the shots.
true

Peter1469
02-10-2018, 07:19 PM
None from my unit.
You were retired when I was last in country.

Mister D
02-10-2018, 07:24 PM
true
Or condemn a policy (or war for that matter) as criminal.

Mister D
02-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Him and Crepitus were a team.
Bo loved him too but he has left us. So sad. It's so heartbreaking I just can't bear to hear him name again. :wink:

MMC
02-10-2018, 07:28 PM

According to who? Is that like, its possible if a frog had wings it wouldn't hit its ass when it hops.....Possibly.

MMC
02-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Obama was the most indecisive president in US history.

Well he was pretty decisive at failure. Just sayin.

Mister D
02-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Welcome back, MMC.

MMC
02-10-2018, 07:43 PM
Welcome back, MMC.

Thanks D.....hope life has been treating you well.

Mister D
02-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Thanks D.....hope life has been treating you well.
It has. How have you been? What brings you back?

Captdon
02-10-2018, 08:47 PM
The best and the brightist has refused to serve since they realized LBJ lied to them.

Who did Obama have: two Ag's who were incompetent at best. Two Secretaries of State, one a crook and the other a traitor. His list is full of cronies of cronies and hacks. Why would the best go to DC to be attacked?

Captdon
02-10-2018, 08:50 PM

Incoherent.

Max Rockatansky
02-10-2018, 09:43 PM
The best and the brightist has refused to serve since they realized LBJ lied to them.
Who did Obama have: two Ag's who were incompetent at best. Two Secretaries of State, one a crook and the other a traitor. His list is full of cronies of cronies and hacks. Why would the best go to DC to be attacked?"The best and the brightist Liberals have refused to serve since they realized LBJ lied to them." Fixed it for ya!

Like Trump, he appointed them. It's his problem.

Captdon
02-11-2018, 11:38 AM

Oh, he's mildly entertaining. You'll like him.

Captdon
02-11-2018, 11:42 AM
"The best and the brightist Liberals have refused to serve since they realized LBJ lied to them." Fixed it for ya!

Like Trump, he appointed them. It's his problem.

There are no best or brightest liberals. Now it's fixed.