PDA

View Full Version : When will it stop? Conservatives who vowed to cut spending keep spending

Peter1469
02-11-2018, 05:09 AM
When will it stop? Conservatives who vowed to cut spending keep spending (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article199401849.html)

We are hell bent on spending ourselves into a currency collapse.

Both parties are participating in this destruction.

Tea party Republicans arrived in Washington seven years ago with a clear, loud message from angry voters: Slash spending. But once again, spending is going way up.“Part of our job right now (is) that we keep pounding that Republicans still stand for fiscal responsibility,” said Rep. Mark Walker, R-N.C., who chairs the House Republican Study Committee, a coalition of conservatives.

But he was on the losing side as the House early Friday cleared a massive two-year spending package that President Donald Trump quickly signed into law. Sixty-seven Republicans voted against the two-year budget plan that became law Friday, but 167 voted yes.

The bill could add as much as $320 billion to the debt over the next 10 years, according to the Congressional Budget Office (https://www.cbo.gov/publication/53556), and push the fiscal 2019 deficit past $1.2 trillion, according to the nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (http://www.crfb.org/blogs/cbo-finds-budget-deal-will-cost-320-billion), a research group. The deal included about $100 billion in offsets, not enough to assuage many conservatives.

It was one of the biggest deficit-busters since the 2009 economic stimulus plan that spent nearly $800 billion as the nation reeled from the Great Recession of 2007-09. Since then, other budget bills have been approved by familiar Republican-Democrat coalitions, with tea party loyalists usually opposed.

What stings this time is that for the first time since 2007, Republicans have controlled the House, Senate and White House for the past year.

Yet the Friday vote “represented one of the final frontal charges on spending, and conservatives lost,” said Rep. Mark Sanford, R-S.C., who has long railed against ballooning deficits.

Their solution is simple and the same as it’s been for years: Elect more of us, insists Jenny Beth Martin, president of Tea Party Patriots.

Read the entire article at the link.

gamewell45
02-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Politicians from both parties talk out of both sides of their mouths and the American people are suckered every election by them. I agree you are right on this; how much more can the American economy sustain until the dollar finally collapses? to avoid it, some hard and fast decisions are going to have to be made. starting with replacing the current crop of politicians that are currently running the country. Otherwise we will be headed down a slippery slope that could have disastrous consequences for us.

Common
02-11-2018, 07:31 AM
If down the road the republicans after passing this deficit budget try and say theres no money for social security and medicare they will certainly lose the majority the following election because for certain the people will believe you gave to the rich and corporations then passed a huge increased spending budget, now you want to take it off us, wont work

I know forum conservatives will disagree but I stand by that and it wont change for another 10 yrs when the babyboomers start diminishing.

Max Rockatansky
02-11-2018, 07:38 AM
When will it stop? Conservatives who vowed to cut spending keep spending (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article199401849.html)

The new budget disturbed me too. Not just the hypocrisy of Republicans voting to raise the debt ceiling when they argued against it under Obama, but the massive size of the bloated budget and the tax cut. How are "We, the People" going to pay for this? Just kick the can down the road for our grandchildren to figure out?

Common
02-11-2018, 08:01 AM
The new budget disturbed me too. Not just the hypocrisy of Republicans voting to raise the debt ceiling when they argued against it under Obama, but the massive size of the bloated budget and the tax cut. How are "We, the People" going to pay for this? Just kick the can down the road for our grandchildren to figure out?
The budget vote by republicans was to try and protect themselves for the midterms. Before midterms which historically go against the majority party always brings about a candy store mentality.

Max Rockatansky
02-11-2018, 08:15 AM
The budget vote by republicans was to try and protect themselves for the midterms. Before midterms which historically go against the majority party always brings about a candy store mentality.
Can't disagree there, but it still goes against everything "conservatism" should represent. What we have are RW Democrats.

Common
02-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Can't disagree there, but it still goes against everything "conservatism" should represent. What we have are RW Democrats.
heh Rep Jeff Flake proves youre right

Chris
02-11-2018, 10:10 AM
The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. --P. J. O'Rourke

Peter1469
02-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Politicians from both parties talk out of both sides of their mouths and the American people are suckered every election by them. I agree you are right on this; how much more can the American economy sustain until the dollar finally collapses? to avoid it, some hard and fast decisions are going to have to be made. starting with replacing the current crop of politicians that are currently running the country. Otherwise we will be headed down a slippery slope that could have disastrous consequences for us.

We don't know. One thing is for sure, if other nations stopped buying our debt, we would be dead in the water.

zelmo1234
02-11-2018, 02:15 PM
The X factor is these Tariffs that we will be collected?

because it has been so long since this was an active part of the revenue of the USA

Captdon
02-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Trump should never have agreed to this. He should have allowed a shutdown rather than give the Dems what they wanted. When i say shutdown I mean it. I don't mean one of these phony ones. If it shuts down for a few months to take out the left so be it.

Chris
02-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Right, he should have vetoed it. And now he wants to spend more on infrastructure.

Peter1469
02-12-2018, 07:26 PM
The plan is for public-private partnerships to rebuild our aging infrastructure. Federal spending will be a minor part of it.

MisterVeritis
02-12-2018, 07:28 PM
The plan is for public-private partnerships to rebuild our aging infrastructure. Federal spending will be a minor part of it.
I think the plan is for massive local tax increases.

Peter1469
02-12-2018, 07:32 PM
I think the plan is for massive local tax increases.

More likely bond sales.

silvereyes
02-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Candy? Did someone say candy? Where? Where issssssss iiiiiit? Telllllll meeeeee! ;)

MisterVeritis
02-12-2018, 07:36 PM
More likely bond sales.
How are bonds paid for? The state backs them (can a taxpayer be far behind?)

Common
02-12-2018, 07:38 PM
I cant disagree there

Peter1469
02-12-2018, 07:38 PM
How are bonds paid for? The state backs them (can a taxpayer be far behind?)

I am not sure of the mechanics, but most states can't carry a deficit. So the tax payers may be on the hook.

MisterVeritis
02-12-2018, 08:07 PM
I am not sure of the mechanics, but most states can't carry a deficit. So the tax payers may be on the hook.
For the interest and the principal. So President Trump is calling for massive local tax increases. No thanks.

donttread
02-12-2018, 08:08 PM

The tea party included a lot of "Johhny come lately types" blowing with the political winds of the day

MisterVeritis
02-12-2018, 08:11 PM
The tea party included a lot of "Johhny come lately types" blowing with the political winds of the day
The meetings I attended were filled with 50-80 year-olds. They were "Johnny come early" types.

The young don't care. The nation is doomed to failure. I hope failure comes in stages and not all at once.

Kacper
02-12-2018, 08:23 PM

But but we have to eliminate WELFARE to buy more NUCLEAR MISSILES!!!!!!! I mean what is the point of having a bigger button on your desk if pushing it doesn't blow the planet apart three times over?

Peter1469
02-12-2018, 08:25 PM
But but we have to eliminate WELFARE to buy more NUCLEAR MISSILES!!!!!!! I mean what is the point of having a bigger button on your desk if pushing it doesn't blow the planet apart three times over?

Who said anything about eliminating welfare?

MisterVeritis
02-12-2018, 08:27 PM
What a goofy statement.

We should eliminate federal welfare because it is unconstitutional.

Kacper
02-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Who said anything about eliminating welfare?

The GOP, its followers, the KKK take your pick. Not much variation on the same theme.

Peter1469
02-13-2018, 05:25 AM
The GOP, its followers, the KKK take your pick. Not much variation on the same theme.
Reforming welfare is not ending it.