PDA

View Full Version : Trump Supporters Spread the Majority of Phony News on Social Media A new study finds

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Trump Supporters Spread the Majority of Phony News on Social Media
A new study finds that “junk news” is a staple of the #MAGA crowd. (https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/02/trump-supporters-spread-the-majority-of-phony-news-on-social-media/)

Trump supporters are among the most prolific social media users spreading fake news and conspiracy content, according to new research from Oxford University’s Computational Propaganda Research Project, which has been studying disinformation campaigns globally since 2014.

The Study (http://comprop.oii.ox.ac.uk/research/polarization-partisanship-and-junk-news/)

What kinds of social media users read junk news? We examine the distribution of the most significant sources of junk news in the three months before President Donald Trump’s first State of the Union Address. Drawing on a list of sources that consistently publish political news and information that is extremist, sensationalist, conspiratorial, masked commentary, fake news and other forms of junk news, we find that the distribution of such content is unevenly spread across the ideological spectrum. We demonstrate that (1) on Twitter, a network of Trump supporters shares the widest range of known junk news sources and circulates more junk news than all the other groups put together; (2) on Facebook, extreme hard right pages—distinct from Republican pages—share the widest range of known junk news sources and circulate more junk news than all the other audiences put together; (3) on average, the audiences for junk news on Twitter share a wider range of known junk news sources than audiences on Facebook’s public pages.

But then again I think we already knew that, right guys?

Captdon
02-11-2018, 11:18 AM
A new study finds that “junk news” is a staple of the #MAGA crowd. (https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/02/trump-supporters-spread-the-majority-of-phony-news-on-social-media/)

The Study (http://comprop.oii.ox.ac.uk/research/polarization-partisanship-and-junk-news/)

We know how gullible you are. This is a British source that has no validity.

countryboy
02-11-2018, 11:22 AM

The irony of this post cannot be overstated.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Of course it is. <Pats Captdon on head>

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Sure, University studies from places that research has this kinda stuff on a regular basis always wrong!

Lmao at the denials.

hanger4
02-11-2018, 11:55 AM
The study is bias itself, from the link; .............. "On Twitter and Facebook, left-leaning accounts circulated more content from mainstream media sources, while conservative and pro-Trump accounts shared more content from right-wing media and junk news sources." ............. The MSM itself is one of the main purveyors of junk/fake news as is demonstrated here a on a mostly daily basis. This study itself seems to be junk news.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 11:57 AM
The study is bias itself, from the link; .............. "On Twitter and Facebook, left-leaning accounts circulated more content from mainstream media sources, while conservative and pro-Trump accounts shared more content from right-wing media and junk news sources." ............. The MSM itself is one of the main purveyors of junk/fake news as is demonstrated here a on a mostly daily basis. This study itself seems to be junk news.

OMG this is priceless!

No one could have demonstrated the point better! Perfect!

Thank you hanger4! My hat is off to you!

Common
02-11-2018, 12:05 PM
If its true and I hope it is, then good on us lol, we need to counter the mainstream medias denigrating and lying about trump and conservatives 90% of the time.

Safety
02-11-2018, 12:08 PM
OMG this is priceless!

No one could have demonstrated the point better! Perfect!

Thank you hanger4! My hat is off to you!

There was no need for anyone to actually research this, it should be obvious to anyone paying attention to political forums over the years.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 12:14 PM
If its true and I hope it is, then good on us lol, we need to counter the mainstream medias denigrating and lying about trump and conservatives 90% of the time.

I think you may have missed the point my friend.

Common
02-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Crep I hate to break this to you but Mother jones couldnt get more left :)

hanger4
02-11-2018, 12:20 PM
OMG this is priceless!No one could have demonstrated the point better! Perfect!Thank you hanger4! My hat is off to you!As usual you're more interested in your idea of gotcha than fact. The alphabet newsies plus the top papers are read/watched by an overwhelming majority of political news connoisseurs, left and right. To claim they're not purveyors of most of the junk/fake news consumed is just disingenuous.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 12:47 PM
As usual you're more interested in your idea of gotcha than fact. The alphabet newsies plus the top papers are read/watched by an overwhelming majority of political news connoisseurs, left and right. To claim they're not purveyors of most of the junk/fake news consumed is just disingenuous.

Not a gotcha, a genuine heartfelt thank you for illustrating my point.

MMC
02-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Not a gotcha, a genuine heartfelt thank you for illustrating my point.

You really have no point as you call all on the Right Trump supporters. Only illiberals do it. As some on the left know about those of us that have been stepping on your kind for decades.

Problem is you don't have a clue as to who is just an ally of Trump and is against your kind. That has been dumping on your kind before Trump became a Repub.

But a couple people are correct. Twitter and most definitely Faceplate are more mired in leftism than they have members from the Right.

(2) on Facebook, extreme hard right pages—distinct from Republican pages—share the widest range of known junk news sources and circulate more junk news than all the other audiences put together;.....snip~

Of course your own link does validate the difference with those that are Repubs. Those I mentioned that are nothing more than allies. As we have been taking to your kind for years. Which of course after Trump is long gone. We will still be about keeping the left in check. While waiting for them to make that major mistake and jump off that cliff taking their civil war past the point of no return.

Always remember leftist.....I was your enemy even before you knew you had one.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 01:20 PM
You really have no point as you call all on the Right Trump supporters. Only illiberals do it. As some on the left know about those of us that have been stepping on your kind for decades.

Problem is you don't have a clue as to who is just an ally of Trump and is against your kind. That has been dumping on your kind before Trump became a Repub.

But a couple people are correct. Twitter and most definitely Faceplate are more mired in leftism than they have members from the Right.

(2) on Facebook, extreme hard right pages—distinct from Republican pages—share the widest range of known junk news sources and circulate more junk news than all the other audiences put together;.....snip~

Of course your own link does validate the difference with those that are Repubs. Those I mentioned that are nothing more than allies. As we have been taking to your kind for years. Which of course after Trump is long gone. We will still be about keeping the left in check. While waiting for them to make that major mistake and jump off that cliff taking their civil war past the point of no return.

Always remember leftist.....I was your enemy even before you knew you had one.

Wow dude, whole lotta reaching, rationalizing, and deflecting going on there.

And you aren't my enemy, lol, you aren't worthy of that title. You are nothing but a loudmouth dork on a message board!

MMC
02-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Wow dude, whole lotta reaching, rationalizing, and deflecting going on there.

And you aren't my enemy, lol, you aren't worthy of that title. You are nothing but a loudmouth dork on a message board!

Glad you cant admit the truth. But then all know you have trouble discerning reality. Oh and I am your enemy. But I am glad you underestimate shit. Shows exactly why you lack intelligence or any smart powers. Just a dumbfuck. As only those types underestimate people.

Well until you bring your trembling ass around me for you to discover that reality. You will never know. Which you would never do. To much of a mope.

Understand this.....you are The Enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj2v1vfp5v8

hanger4
02-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Not a gotcha, a genuine heartfelt thank you for illustrating my point.Naaaaaay, you're just claiming so to divert from the fact that the MSM is the #1 purveyor of junk/fake news and the #1 read and watched. For the Oxford study to ignore those two facts either shows their bias or shows their study lacks credibility.

Chris
02-11-2018, 02:26 PM
LOL.

MJ says "Trump Supporters Spread the Majority of Phony News on Social Media" but the actual study says "on Twitter, a network of Trump supporters shares the widest range of known junk news sources and circulates more junk news than all the other groups put together." Not only is the finding narrowed down from social media to Twitter but the study slected for samples from what they considered "sources that consistently publish political news and information that is extremist, sensationalist, conspiratorial, masked commentary, fake news and other forms of junk news, we find that the distribution of such content is unevenly spread across the ideological spectrum." IOW, no one outside that was studied. Basically the study found what it set out to find.

Another example of deception, MJ says "A new study finds that “junk news” is a staple of the #MAGA crowd." But the study only mentions that as a single source out of 100s.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Naaaaaay, you're just claiming so to divert from the fact that the MSM is the #1 purveyor of junk/fake news and the #1 read and watched. For the Oxford study to ignore those two facts either shows their bias or shows their study lacks credibility.

Lol, please show studies naming the main stream media (ie ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and so on) as the number 1 purveyors of fake news.

You see, calling the actual news outlets "fake news" is in itself fake news and you are currently engaged in spreading it my slightly oblivious trump supporting friend.

Once again I thank you for proving my point in such a masterful manner.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Glad you cant admit the truth. But then all know you have trouble discerning reality. Oh and I am your enemy. But I am glad you underestimate shit. Shows exactly why you lack intelligence or any smart powers. Just a dumbfuck. As only those types underestimate people.

Well until you bring your trembling ass around me for you to discover that reality. You will never know. Which you would never do. To much of a mope.

Understand this.....you are The Enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj2v1vfp5v8

If you are my enemy you have been singularly ineffectual. I mean I didn't even notice.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Crep I hate to break this to you but Mother jones couldnt get more left :)

Oh, I'm aware, but I included links to the actual study as well.

hanger4
02-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Lol, please show studies naming the main stream media (ie ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and so on) as the number 1 purveyors of fake news.You see, calling the actual news outlets "fake news" is in itself fake news and you are currently engaged in spreading it my slightly oblivious trump supporting friend.Once again I thank you for proving my point in such a masterful manner.It's simple logic Crepitus, the alphabet newsies plus the top papers are read/watched by an overwhelming majority of political news connoisseurs, left and right, therefore most junk/fake news would be gleened from them. Besides, a study that purposely ignores disingenuous news from the MSM has no credibility as anything meaningful.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 04:54 PM
It's simple logic Crepitus, the alphabet newsies plus the top papers are read/watched by an overwhelming majority of political news connoisseurs, left and right, therefore most junk/fake news would be gleened from them. Besides, a study that purposely ignores disingenuous news from the MSM has no credibility as anything meaningful.

No sir, it's not "simple logic". If you were to apply some actual logic such as Occam's Razor to the situation you would get the opposite result. Now please, post some proof that the main stream media are the number one purveyors of fake news.

hanger4
02-11-2018, 05:05 PM
No sir, it's not "simple logic". If you were to apply some actual logic such as Occam's Razor to the situation you would get the opposite result. Now please, post some proof that the main stream media are the number one purveyors of fake news.I already have, whether or not you believe it is irrelevant. Besides there are stories posted here daily that are junk/fake news, this one in particular, as Chris has pointed out.

Crepitus
02-11-2018, 05:37 PM
I already have, whether or not you believe it is irrelevant. Besides there are stories posted here daily that are junk/fake news, this one in particular, as Chris has pointed out.

Well, I just went back and read over the thread just in case I missed it and I see no links, no cites, no quotes, in short, no proof.

Perhaps you could link me to that post?

Captdon
02-12-2018, 04:53 PM
The stupidity of liberals is truly amazing. Facts mean nothing to them. They sneak around snarking and acting like asses and wonder why we keep winning and they keep losing. They had a lock on winning the House and are throwing it away like they threw away the Presidential election. It's really amazing.

Captdon
02-12-2018, 04:58 PM
LOL.

MJ says "Trump Supporters Spread the Majority of Phony News on Social Media" but the actual study says "on Twitter, a network of Trump supporters shares the widest range of known junk news sources and circulates more junk news than all the other groups put together." Not only is the finding narrowed down from social media to Twitter but the study slected for samples from what they considered "sources that consistently publish political news and information that is extremist, sensationalist, conspiratorial, masked commentary, fake news and other forms of junk news, we find that the distribution of such content is unevenly spread across the ideological spectrum." IOW, no one outside that was studied. Basically the study found what it set out to find.

Another example of deception, MJ says "A new study finds that “junk news” is a staple of the #MAGA crowd." But the study only mentions that as a single source out of 100s.

Facts don't matter here. Facts are irrelevant to him. He thinks we voters who whipped their sorry asses and refuse to be quiet are unimportant. When the dust settles on the liberal, left-wing, lunatic Democrats he'll not realize it.

He'll be screaming from a mountain top and not know no one is hearing him.