PDA

View Full Version : Trump’s Plan Won’t Solve the Problems of America’s Crumbling Infrastructure

Bob the Slob
02-17-2018, 07:15 PM
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/02/16/trumps-plan-wont-solve-problems-americas-crumbling-infrastructure

The meagerness of the federal contribution — just $200 billion over ten years, or less than 0.1 percent of GDP over that period — was already clear from the State of the Union. Half of those funds are allocated to an Incentive Program intended to support surface transportation and airports, passenger rail, ports and waterways, flood control, water supply, hydropower, water resources, drinking water facilities, wastewater facilities, storm water facilities, and brownfield and Superfund sites. Just listing everything the President’s plan claims to address for a federal expenditure of just $100 billion makes the inadequacy of the plan obvious. But there’s more.The Incentive Program requires states and localities to put up 80 percent of the cost of any project in order to get a federal match of 20 percent. This turns the traditional approach to infrastructure investment on its head. The federal government typically provides 80 percent of the funding for such projects. It is wishful thinking to imagine how cash-strapped states and cities — already on the hook for extensive local infrastructure spending — will be able to find new public sources of financing, especially now that the recent Republican-passed tax law has severely limited their ability to raise taxes to pay for such undertakings.
Trump’s plan turns infrastructure investment on its head in another way as well. Traditionally, the selection of projects to be funded by the federal government emphasized benefits to the public. The administration’s plan weighs the ability to attract sources of funding outside the federal government at 70 percent when considering whether to support it; economic and social returns from the project count for just 5 percent. Federal funding will go to projects that are most attractive to private investors, rather than to those, like clean water, that meet the needs of communities.
President Trump’s plans for the nation’s infrastructure are, unbelievably, even worse than they appear. In the President’s budget, released on the same day as the infrastructure plan, Democrats in Congress identified more than $240 billion (https://s2.washingtonpost.com/3f1b12/5a82e5f4fe1ff634eb1530c8/YXBwZWxiYXVtQGNlcHIubmV0/22/141/5711ac5ba12a96a8d99ff1e63fd4c2cf) over the next decade in proposed cuts to ongoing infrastructure. This includes a cut of $122 billion to the Highway Trust Fund as well as reductions in programs that fund rail, aviation, and wastewater projects. Net federal spending on infrastructure may actually fall over the next decade if the President’s plans are approved by Congress, potentially leaving the nation’s infrastructure in a more dire condition than when he took office.

Well what do we expect from a shi^^y businessman?

Bob the Slob
02-17-2018, 07:27 PM
Wait. Does this mean he won't have jobs that pay good wages, too? What are the chances do you think that the corporations who will build this will use illegal workers like the housing boon under Bush used illegal workers?

Tahuyaman
02-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Are those going to be “shovel ready” jobs?

Common
02-18-2018, 06:40 AM
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/02/16/trumps-plan-wont-solve-problems-americas-crumbling-infrastructure

Well what do we expect from a shi^^y businessman?
It took Obama 8 yrs to create and promulagate all of Americas Problems, its going to take 2 or 3 yrs for Trump to fix them, hang on to your hate lotta more changes are coming.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Tahuyaman
02-18-2018, 04:53 PM
Trump’s Plan Won’t Solve the Problems of America’s Crumbling Infrastructure

Our infrastructure has been crumbling for decades. It's going to take decades to repair it.

This thread wasn't created with the intent of discussing the issue. It's just troll bait.

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 06:07 PM
It took Obama 8 yrs to create and promulagate all of Americas Problems, its going to take 2 or 3 yrs for Trump to fix them, hang on to your hate lotta more changes are coming.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Yeah, he had a republican congress that would not do anything for him for six of those years. Trump has republicans. And he STILL has done nothing to help the working American family nor any of the 98%

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Trump’s Plan Won’t Solve the Problems of America’s Crumbling Infrastructure

Our infrastructure has been crumbling for decades. It's going to take decades to repair it.

This thread wasn't created with the intent of discussing the issue. It's just troll bait.

And Trump just pushed it up more years because his plan helps YOU pay for the oil pipelines which are leaking all over our drinking water in this nation.

Tahuyaman
02-18-2018, 06:17 PM
And Trump just pushed it up more years because his plan helps YOU pay for the oil pipelines which are leaking all over our drinking water in this nation.They aren't leaking oil all over our drinking water across the nation.

zelmo1234
02-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Yeah, he had a republican congress that would not do anything for him for six of those years. Trump has republicans. And he STILL has done nothing to help the working American family nor any of the 98%

So you don't think that all of the people that received a raise, all those that have more money in their checks and all of those that receive a bonus have not been helped?

What about the millions that could not afford health insurance and now don't have to take money away from their families to pay the fine.

And last just here in MI we have over 20,000 jobs that will be added from companies expansion in the next year.

Why would you say that he did nothing.

zelmo1234
02-18-2018, 06:25 PM
And Trump just pushed it up more years because his plan helps YOU pay for the oil pipelines which are leaking all over our drinking water in this nation.
Why are you such a dishonest person?

I understand that Democrats do not have one issue that they are on the right side of.

But you just lie.... I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with you in life.

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 06:32 PM
They aren't leaking oil all over our drinking water across the nation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leaks-south-dakota.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-oil-spills-from-pipelines-us-america-natural-gas-2016-12

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leak/index.html

https://www.ecowatch.com/10-years-of-fracking-its-impact-on-our-water-land-and-climate-1891114363.html

https://earthjustice.org/climate-and-energy/oil-gas-drilling

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Why are you such a dishonest person?

I understand that Democrats do not have one issue that they are on the right side of.

But you just lie.... I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with you in life.
You can always tell when the right is admitting they lost the argument; they result to attacks and name-calling and can't defend their position. Thanks for admitting you haven't a clue.

zelmo1234
02-18-2018, 06:34 PM
You can always tell when the right is admitting they lost the argument; they result to attacks and name-calling and can't defend their position. Thanks for admitting you haven't a clue.
You mean like you did to me in another thread before I wrote this post??? It was you that wanted to call me a liar.

Now try and answer the questions if you don't mind.

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 06:35 PM
So you don't think that all of the people that received a raise, all those that have more money in their checks and all of those that receive a bonus have not been helped?

What about the millions that could not afford health insurance and now don't have to take money away from their families to pay the fine.

And last just here in MI we have over 20,000 jobs that will be added from companies expansion in the next year.

Why would you say that he did nothing.

You call $1.50 on a teacher's salary which is higher than a fast food worker's salary is an increase in pay when gas and food prices go up? When Trump says his infrastructure proposal includes a $.25 tax on a gallon of gas from the federal government?

"Bonuses"? A $1,000 one time bonus must be paid taxes on. So, it's not quite a whole $1,000. And it's less than $100 per month as there are 12 months to year and only 10 one hundred dollar bills being given. That's less than $25 a month. What's a family to do with that? How will that solve their inflated rent or mortgage payments? Pay off their college debt? How does that help at all?

Peter1469
02-18-2018, 06:37 PM
You call $1.50 on a teacher's salary which is higher than a fast food worker's salary is an increase in pay when gas and food prices go up? When Trump says his infrastructure proposal includes a $.25 tax on a gallon of gas from the federal government?

"Bonuses"? A $1,000 one time bonus must be paid taxes on. So, it's not quite a whole $1,000. And it's less than $100 per month as there are 12 months to year and only 10 one hundred dollar bills being given. That's less than $25 a month. What's a family to do with that? How will that solve their inflated rent or mortgage payments? Pay off their college debt? How does that help at all?
If you aren't paying taxes, a tax cut can't help you.

Tahuyaman
02-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Is this guy for real?

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 06:50 PM
If you aren't paying taxes, a tax cut can't help you.
And these bonuses and tax cuts don't help those who are working, either. You live with mommy and she pay all the bills? Because your response doesn't sound like a person supporting themselves who has just been insulted by the government with a $1.50 a week more in their check.

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 06:51 PM
You mean like you did to me in another thread before I wrote this post??? It was you that wanted to call me a liar.

Now try and answer the questions if you don't mind.

You never had a question I did not answer which was part of this discussion topic.

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Is this guy for real?
Yeah. I'm not some god who dropped from the sky. All my words are English, but apparently just a bit higher in the educational level than you were capable of achieving. Is there a contribution to this discussion you'd like to make?

Peter1469
02-18-2018, 06:53 PM
I think you are wishing for redistribution of wealth.

Tax cuts are different.
And these bonuses and tax cuts don't help those who are working, either. You live with mommy and she pay all the bills? Because your response doesn't sound like a person supporting themselves who has just been insulted by the government with a $1.50 a week more in their check.

Tahuyaman
02-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Yeah. I'm not some god who dropped from the sky. All my words are English, but apparently just a bit higher in the educational level than you were capable of achieving. Is there a contribution to this discussion you'd like to make?

Holy shit!

zelmo1234
02-18-2018, 06:55 PM

These employee's surely don't have to accept these raises if they don't want to.

Once upon a time Teachers had a real beef, but at least here in MI they all make above the average income of nearly 50K per year and they only work 8 months. So I am not real likely to feel sorry for them

Please tell me that someone that is hurting for money does not want a $1.50 per hour raise, that is 60 dollars a month. Add to that they will receive about 10% more in their checks because there taxes went down and please run on taking that away form people

And last Who says that these are one time bonuses? What is to say that they will not happen again?

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 07:07 PM
These employee's surely don't have to accept these raises if they don't want to.

Once upon a time Teachers had a real beef, but at least here in MI they all make above the average income of nearly 50K per year and they only work 8 months. So I am not real likely to feel sorry for them

Please tell me that someone that is hurting for money does not want a $1.50 per hour raise, that is 60 dollars a month. Add to that they will receive about 10% more in their checks because there taxes went down and please run on taking that away form people

And last Who says that these are one time bonuses? What is to say that they will not happen again?

The median income in American is $56,000. So, your teachers in MI are below the average income. What does $1.50 a week do for them?

Democrats raised the minimum wages in states where they are governors. That was the HUGE increase in wages seen in this nation for those living under democratic rule. some republican states did, too, see that tax cuts are destroying the economy. Just ask Brownback.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx

How on earth do you get a $1.50 a week pay increase to add up to $60? No wonder you right wingers are getting us trillions and trillions into debt. I'll tell you MOST Americans don't think $6.00 per month is a good deal. That's not even lunch for their kids at a religious school.

Dreams could happen and there could be more than "one time bonuses". But so far, facts are on my side. ;)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/01/10/less-than-meets-eye-bonuses-not-raises-u-s-tax-cut-windfall/1021163001/

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/02/investing/tax-cuts-bonus-trump/index.html

zelmo1234
02-18-2018, 07:12 PM
The median income in American is $56,000. So, your teachers in MI are below the average income. What does $1.50 a week do for them?

Democrats raised the minimum wages in states where they are governors. That was the HUGE increase in wages seen in this nation for those living under democratic rule. some republican states did, too, see that tax cuts are destroying the economy. Just ask Brownback.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx

How on earth do you get a $1.50 a week pay increase to add up to $60? No wonder you right wingers are getting us trillions and trillions into debt. I'll tell you MOST Americans don't think $6.00 per month is a good deal. That's not even lunch for their kids at a religious school.

Dreams could happen and there could be more than "one time bonuses". But so far, facts are on my side. ;)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/01/10/less-than-meets-eye-bonuses-not-raises-u-s-tax-cut-windfall/1021163001/

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/02/investing/tax-cuts-bonus-trump/index.html

I am sorry bob i mis read your $1.50 I thought that you were talking about the Wal Mart employees that all receive from 1.50 to 3.00 an hour in wage increase.

I don't know of anyone that only received 1.50 per week but I am sure that some part time low paid workers will only receive that much, Remember peters comments if you don't pay income tax now, you will not get a tax cut.

As for Teachers in MI

The average teacher salary in Michigan for 2009 was $52,300
, a drop from 2008’s average of $53,410
. The teacher salaries in Michigan were at their highest in 2007 at $54,683.33.

Not to shabby for 8 months work, they have 3 months in the summer that they can earn even more money.