PDA

View Full Version : Unrivaled Hypocrisy of the US Political Class

Ethereal
02-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Of all the accusations the US political class throws around, the one of Russian "interference" and "collusion" has to be the most breathtakingly hypocritical.

For one, the US political class is infamous for its actual and incessant interference in the political process of other countries. Just as one glaring example among many, the US political class took upon themselves to spearhead the violent overthrow of Iraq's government. That one example by itself is far worse than anything Russia is alleged to have done to the US political process.

For another, the US political class routinely and aggressively "colludes" with foreign powers. Probably the best example is the inordinate influence that Israel exerts over US politicians. The US political class are so servile and deferential towards Israel that they even invited Israel's Prime Minister to speak before the US Congress, an invitation that has only been offered to one other foreign leader: Winston Churchill. US politicians from both parties clapped and barked like trained seals as a foreign leader trashed the US President's foreign policy. Whatever you might think of Obama's foreign policy, any American should agree that inviting foreign leaders into US institutions in order to trash the President is pretty outrageous. Just think how you would react if the Congress invited Justin Trudeau to speak before the US Congress and he attacked Trump. Assuming you weren't already outraged at the mere invitation of Trudeau, his attack on the President would cause you to become apoplectic.

The most bizarre aspect of this is how totally unaware of this some people seem to be. As Noam Chomsky wryly remarked, "The world is laughing at us."

Mini Me
02-18-2018, 07:17 PM
https://youtu.be/ZRFvRcX2Sz0

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Of all the accusations the US political class throws around, the one of Russian "interference" and "collusion" has to be the most breathtakingly hypocritical.

For one, the US political class is infamous for its actual and incessant interference in the political process of other countries. Just as one glaring example among many, the US political class took upon themselves to spearhead the violent overthrow of Iraq's government. That one example by itself is far worse than anything Russia is alleged to have done to the US political process.

For another, the US political class routinely and aggressively "colludes" with foreign powers. Probably the best example is the inordinate influence that Israel exerts over US politicians. The US political class are so servile and deferential towards Israel that they even invited Israel's Prime Minister to speak before the US Congress, an invitation that has only been offered to one other foreign leader: Winston Churchill. US politicians from both parties clapped and barked like trained seals as a foreign leader trashed the US President's foreign policy. Whatever you might think of Obama's foreign policy, any American should agree that inviting foreign leaders into US institutions in order to trash the President is pretty outrageous. Just think how you would react if the Congress invited Justin Trudeau to speak before the US Congress and he attacked Trump. Assuming you weren't already outraged at the mere invitation of Trudeau, his attack on the President would cause you to become apoplectic.

The most bizarre aspect of this is how totally unaware of this some people seem to be. As Noam Chomsky wryly remarked, "The world is laughing at us."

Can't argue against that. The situation for me about Trump is the interfering with elections and now trying to destroy our government. With Israel and Saudi Arabia, et al,it's about giving them hundreds of billions of our tax dollars to buy our miiltary weapons. For me, that's the separation of collusion with foreign governments. But yes, we do, too. The most infamous was removing the democracy of IRan in the 50's and placing the Shah for the oil companies. That nation spent hell under an abusive ruler we put into power. Our biggest threats is to stop our democracy from voting out those linked to the bribes of corporations and giving this nation back to the middle class.

Mini Me
02-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Trumps Swamp of Goldman Sachs shills.

https://youtu.be/pbxrQbBlEf0

Ethereal
02-18-2018, 07:22 PM
https://youtu.be/ZRFvRcX2Sz0
Pure treachery against America, committed by Israel and the Johnson administration.

zelmo1234
02-18-2018, 07:22 PM

Goldman is full of open and loyal Democrats

Huge donors to the DNC

Ethereal
02-18-2018, 07:23 PM

Not really on topic.

Ethereal
02-18-2018, 07:24 PM
Can't argue against that. The situation for me about Trump is the interfering with elections and now trying to destroy our government. With Israel and Saudi Arabia, et al,it's about giving them hundreds of billions of our tax dollars to buy our miiltary weapons. For me, that's the separation of collusion with foreign governments. But yes, we do, too. The most infamous was removing the democracy of IRan in the 50's and placing the Shah for the oil companies. That nation spent hell under an abusive ruler we put into power. Our biggest threats is to stop our democracy from voting out those linked to the bribes of corporations and giving this nation back to the middle class.

The biggest threat to American democracy is from within. The US political class use foreign bogeymen as distractions and paths towards personal enrichment.

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 07:25 PM
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/koch-paysout-to-ryan-after-taxlaw_us_5a63ce41e4b0dc592a09697c

Ryan sure makes out well.

Bob the Slob
02-18-2018, 07:26 PM
The biggest threat to American democracy is from within. The US political class use foreign bogeymen as distractions and paths towards personal enrichement.
Except with Trump. He's doing the work of tearing down the confidence in our media, which was never blind, and in the independence of the FBI and DOJ. We have a foreign governemnt which seems from all his actions to be controlling the decisions made by the president of the US.

Ethereal
02-18-2018, 07:28 PM
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/koch-paysout-to-ryan-after-taxlaw_us_5a63ce41e4b0dc592a09697c

Ryan sure makes out well.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the thread. The Kochs are private citizens and Americans, not members of a foreign government.

Ethereal
02-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Except with Trump. He's doing the work of tearing down the confidence in our media, which was never blind, and in the independence of the FBI and DOJ. We have a foreign governemnt which seems from all his actions to be controlling the decisions made by the president of the US.
Trump was elected in large part because Americans had no confidence in the mainstream media to begin with, and the FBI and DOJ have been used as political weapons for as long as they have existed. In any case, I don't see what this has to do with the point I brought up in the OP. Even if Trump is somehow "colluding" with Russia, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Virtually every politician in Washington DC is being strongly influenced by foreign powers.

midcan5
02-18-2018, 08:22 PM
The 'US Political Class' a new bogeyman, who are they I wonder, name names, you got any? It sounds like you are referring to the republican party today? I agree with you in a certain sense, but I'm not sure it is so simple to label or even define. I often think of this Alex Carey quote, "The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." The great depression created what is called the welfare state, I wouldn't use that word but it has helped to transform democracy into a plutocratic oligarchy or some word like that. lol

These books tell the story:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2751831-invisible-hands
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28695425-strangers-in-their-own-land

"Not only does there seem to be widespread social fragmentation and disillusionment with democracy in the United States, but the possibility of reversing this sense of alienation appears to many of us to be already lost. Any democratic president who wants to institute the desperately needed reforms in health, welfare and the environment faces one of two options. He can stick by his reform program and suffer a loss of public confidence through orchestrated campaigns to publicly portray him as 'too liberal' and ineffectual (the Carter image) or too indecisive or sexually indiscreet (the Clinton image). Alternatively, a reforming democratic president can move further to the Right, forget his promises and become part of the propaganda campaign. Given the history of democratic propaganda in the United States, some of us doubt that another Roosevelt or New Deal is possible. The political system is now so attuned to business interests that this kind of reformer could no longer institute the substantial health, welfare, education, environmental and employment reforms the country needs." Andrew Lohrey, Introduction, Alex Carey "Taking the Risk Out of Democracy"

Mister D
02-18-2018, 08:22 PM
The 'US Political Class' a new bogeyman, who are they I wonder, name names, you got any? It sounds like you are referring to the republican party today? I agree with you in a certain sense, but I'm not sure it is so simple to label or even define. I often think of this Alex Carey quote, "The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." The great depression created what is called the welfare state, I wouldn't use that word but it has worked to transform democracy into plutocratic oligarchy or some word like that. lol

These books tell the story:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2751831-invisible-hands
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28695425-strangers-in-their-own-land

"Not only does there seem to be widespread social fragmentation and disillusionment with democracy in the United States, but the possibility of reversing this sense of alienation appears to many of us to be already lost. Any democratic president who wants to institute the desperately needed reforms in health, welfare and the environment faces one of two options. He can stick by his reform program and suffer a loss of public confidence through orchestrated campaigns to publicly portray him as 'too liberal' and ineffectual (the Carter image) or too indecisive or sexually indiscreet (the Clinton image). Alternatively, a reforming democratic president can move further to the Right, forget his promises and become part of the propaganda campaign. Given the history of democratic propaganda in the United States, some of us doubt that another Roosevelt or New Deal is possible. The political system is now so attuned to business interests that this kind of reformer could no longer institute the substantial health, welfare, education, environmental and employment reforms the country needs." Andrew Lohrey, Introduction, Alex Carey "Taking the Risk Out of Democracy"

Has Hillary Clinton avatar. Asks what the political class refers to and even asks for names. LOL

Tahuyaman
02-18-2018, 08:45 PM

The media has destroyed their own credibility with the American people. . They have aided and abetted the corruption of the political establishment and our supposed most trusted government institutions. Trump simply publicly states what every informed person already knew. Even you if you could be honest for once.

Mini Me
02-19-2018, 11:01 AM
The KOCH agenda is in full bloom, and has hijacked the Trump presidency. They run most of the Stink tanks that Rethugs get their marching orders from. Pure corporatist hackery, and out to destroy democracy as we know it!

Captdon
02-19-2018, 11:09 AM
The biggest threat to American democracy is from within. The US political class use foreign bogeymen as distractions and paths towards personal enrichment.

The American democracy is under any threat. It is alive and well. If there was a threat, Trump wouldn't be president would he? Being a cynic must be hard to keep up. You use good arguments that don't add up.

MisterVeritis
02-19-2018, 11:53 AM
The KOCH agenda is in full bloom, and has hijacked the Trump presidency. They run most of the Stink tanks that Rethugs get their marching orders from. Pure corporatist hackery, and out to destroy democracy as we know it!
What is the Koch agenda? Please use your own words.
What are Stink tanks?
What are Rethugs?
What country operates as a democracy?

Mini Me
02-19-2018, 09:59 PM
What is the Koch agenda? Please use your own words.
What are Stink tanks?
What are Rethugs?
What country operates as a democracy?
I can't teach you these things, you wouldn't believe me if I told you.
Google is your friend!

Ethereal
02-19-2018, 10:34 PM
The American democracy is under any threat. It is alive and well. If there was a threat, Trump wouldn't be president would he? Being a cynic must be hard to keep up. You use good arguments that don't add up.
Yea, democracy is in such good shape that Donald Trump got elected president. Who can argue with that.

Anyway, even if you believe Trump is an example of democracy winning, just look at how the establishment has reacted to him winning. They are basically trying to overthrow him through a soft coup. Not very democratic, is it?

Ethereal
03-16-2018, 09:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdG1RESSP48

MisterVeritis
03-16-2018, 10:04 PM
I can't teach you these things, you wouldn't believe me if I told you.
Google is your friend!
You just might be an uneducated buffoon.

Peter1469
03-17-2018, 04:52 AM

You fell for that meme? That is sad.

Peter1469
03-17-2018, 04:58 AM

They are libertarians. Calm down.

donttread
03-17-2018, 06:13 AM

But, but , but our shit don't stink and we should never be called on it.