PDA

View Full Version : Florida Republican Rep Comes Out in Support of Assault Weapons Ban.....

MMC
02-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Florida Republican Rep. Brian Mast has penned an op-ed for the New York Times in which he comes out in support of an assault weapons ban.

Mast starts his opinion piece (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opinion/brian-mast-assault-weapons-ban.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&mtrref=t.co&assetType=opinion) by recalling the dozen years he spent in the Army. The war hero, who lost both of his legs in Afghanistan when a roadside bomb detonated below him, obviously always had a firearm on him. In civilian life, he is a lifelong member of the National Rifle Association and he conceal carries a pistol.

Mast uses this context to show he appreciates firearms and how they can serve to protect individuals. But, some firearms simply should not be accessible to civilians, he goes on to argue. One of the firearms he carried with him on the battlefield, he explained, was very similar to the AR-15-style semiautomatic weapon Nikolas Cruz used to kill 17 people in Parkland, FL last week. It should not be available for civilian purchase.

While "no" firearm is inherently evil, Mast says, "the rifle of choice for many mass shooters is the AR-15."

He added that he is also supportive of legislation that requires every gun purchaser to have a background check and raising the age limit for certain firearm purchases and ensuring that individuals with a history of mental illness cannot purchase firearms at all.

MSNBC anchor Joe Scarborough commended Mast for the "significant" op-ed.

Meanwhile, in a case of irony, a House Democrat, Rep. Dan Kildee of Michigan, has come out against (https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/02/23/house-democrat-i-dont-want-to-ban-all-semiautomatic-weapons-n2453358) a ban on semi-automatic weapons......snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/02/23/florida-republican-rep-comes-out-in-support-of-ar15-ban-n2453477

Double play.....they will both be outta there. No re-election for either of them. Rick Scott of Florida too out with the bunt sacrifice.

Mini Me
02-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Rethuglicans who go against the NRA will be promptly blocked from reelection by his Party of No!

I commend his courage to take that stance, it is rare that a R ever shows courage!

Peter1469
02-24-2018, 07:31 PM
Rethuglicans who go against the NRA will be promptly blocked from reelection by his Party of No!

I commend his courage to take that stance, it is rare that a R ever shows courage!

Your fear of the NRA is misplaced.

MMC
02-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Your fear of the NRA is misplaced.

Its not just the NRA.....its any on the Right. Which is natural for the inferior to feel that way.

MisterVeritis
02-25-2018, 09:48 AM

I will support a primary challenge to any Republican who not only fails to support and defend the Constitution but also sides with Progressives to infringe further on those rights.

What you see as courage I see as capitulation. Both men are like the deputies who stayed out of the firefight.