PDA

View Full Version : Trump's Tariffs May Cause BMW to Close It's Spartanburg, SC Plant.

gamewell45
03-15-2018, 05:10 PM
First off this is translated from German so bear with me on this.

Thanks to Trumps tariff threats BMW plans on reducing it's plants in the USA and move North American production to Mexico. This move will most likely cause the Spartanburg, SC plant to close.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article174504749/Strafzoelle-Welcher-deutsche-Autobauer-am-meisten-leiden-wuerde.html#Comments

How many tens of thousands of jobs will be lost over this tariff war?

MisterVeritis
03-15-2018, 05:12 PM

Thanks to Trumps tariff threats BMW plans on reducing it's plants in the USA and move North American production to Mexico. This move will most likely cause the Spartanburg, SC plant to close.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article174504749/Strafzoelle-Welcher-deutsche-Autobauer-am-meisten-leiden-wuerde.html#Comments

A better question is how many Republican political jobs will it save? This is a fight to retain control over the federal legislative branch. You are playing checkers. Your opponent is playing chess.

Newpublius
03-15-2018, 05:34 PM

How many are currently lost because foreigners simply won't live up to their trade agreements?

See, when you're taking $.56 off somebody's dollar earned and the government is using that money in part to subsidize your domestic competitor, and then using other portions of that dollar to pay to defend other foreign nations, who now that they are under the umbrella of Pax Americana, can afford to subsidize their political favorites, who are also your economic competitors. And then, to add insult to injury, you find out that country spends less than half what your country spends per capita.

Yeah, maybe that's a s--t deal, you think....

https://media1.tenor.com/images/a4e907fe03cceb0860dad7468e350927/tenor.gif?itemid=3364934

I smell a rat.

Crepitus
03-15-2018, 05:35 PM
A better question is how many Republican political jobs will it save? This is a fight to retain control over the federal legislative branch. You are playing checkers. Your opponent is playing chess.

Wrong.

He's playing "don't look at me" with American lives.

And you're excusing him for it.

Captdon
03-15-2018, 06:06 PM

Odd, me living here and they said they might not be able to expand the plant. There was nothing about closing the plant. This is a small state and word gets around quickly. That's especially true when BMW executives are interviewed by all the news organization here. Say something on tv you can't deny it.

Grokmaster
03-15-2018, 06:09 PM

Not one, so far. How many will be saved and added?

Grokmaster
03-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Odd, me living here and they said they might not be able to expand the plant. There was nothing about closing the plant. This is a small state and word gets around quickly. That's especially true when BMW executives are interviewed by all the news organization here. Say something on tv you can't deny it.

More Fake News? Geez...

nathanbforrest45
03-15-2018, 06:21 PM
If the cars are made in the United States how would an import tariff affect them?

Mini Me
03-15-2018, 07:03 PM
If the cars are made in the United States how would an import tariff affect them?
Good question~

MisterVeritis
03-15-2018, 07:07 PM

Wrong.
You know I am right.

We will know by the end of the year.

Peter1469
03-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Trump is using the threats of tariffs as negotiating tools. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

gamewell45
03-15-2018, 07:23 PM

I think the first paragraph says it all:

"If the US president levies a penalty of 10 percent on cars and leaves imports from Mexico unchallenged, the German manufacturer costs just under three billion euros a year. BMW would doom the US plant."

The way I interpret it is the word "doom" means the end of. That's how read into it. It cannot benefit the US if they are going to close or not expand ro built new plants.

gamewell45
03-15-2018, 07:25 PM

I think you have to give it time; i'm sure building plants takes time, so it's not going to happen over night. The way I read the article, it would appear that the US could lose up to a tens of thousand jobs if what they are saying in the article is true.

Safety
03-15-2018, 07:32 PM

Majority of foreign vehicles manufactured here, have a sticker showing how much was actually assembled in which country. The part that isn’t made or assembled here would be taxed if it was sent here.

Crepitus
03-15-2018, 07:32 PM

You know I am right.

We will know by the end of the year.

You know you are wrong. We already know.

Ransom
03-15-2018, 07:41 PM
I think you have to give it time; i'm sure building plants takes time, so it's not going to happen over night. The way I read the article, it would appear that the US could lose up to a tens of thousand jobs if what they are saying in the article is true.
Yeah but...imagine how that new Ford Plant outside Berlin will bring thousands of jobs for Americans going abroad to work and teach the freakin Germans how to build a truck. You know.....German comrades....you sent your Army into Russia mostly on foot. The vast number of soldiers walked across the Russian Steppe just like Napoleon did. The Americans have great Jeeps and trucks, no wonder you lost the war. Trump 2020

MisterVeritis
03-15-2018, 08:48 PM
You know you are wrong. We already know.
We will know after the midterms, won't we?

Dr. Who
03-15-2018, 10:54 PM
BMW was going to expand the plant, so if it closes, it will cost 10,000 jobs. 9,000 existing jobs and 1,000 that they were planning to add. The proposed tariffs will cost BMW slightly over 1 billion Euros.

zelmo1234
03-16-2018, 06:21 AM

That will be a surprise for them because Trump is proposing a Tariff on Cars coming out of Mexico.

it is about 300 dollars on the average car. If you are purchasing a BMW you can afford the 300 dollars, and of course a steel plants open in the USA that cost will go back down.

Cannons Front
03-16-2018, 06:54 AM
I do not see anything in the US media on this, there is also some common sense points that make this seem unlikely, the last expansion was announced 4 years ago and is underway or completed, it was actually to be completed late 2016, is it behind? Or is this another expansion? Closing the plant seems unlikely as it is BMW's largest plant in the world it makes nearly 20% of the entire world production, to replace this capability would cost far more in both time and money.
Sounds more like a tactic to me.

gamewell45
03-16-2018, 09:46 AM
That will be a surprise for them because Trump is proposing a Tariff on Cars coming out of Mexico.

it is about 300 dollars on the average car. If you are purchasing a BMW you can afford the 300 dollars, and of course a steel plants open in the USA that cost will go back down.

It was my understanding that both Mexico and Canada were exempt from the tariffs unless it was for only steel and aluminum.

Captdon
03-16-2018, 06:10 PM
I think the first paragraph says it all:

"If the US president levies a penalty of 10 percent on cars and leaves imports from Mexico unchallenged, the German manufacturer costs just under three billion euros a year. BMW would doom the US plant."

The way I interpret it is the word "doom" means the end of. That's how read into it. It cannot benefit the US if they are going to close or not expand ro built new plants.

Not expanding doesn't hurt the US at all. How could it? They already said they weren't going to close a single plant. No harm at all. Not building a new plant doesn't hurt at all.

What's the problem again?

Captdon
03-16-2018, 06:14 PM
BMW was going to expand the plant, so if it closes, it will cost 10,000 jobs. 9,000 existing jobs and 1,000 that they were planning to add. The proposed tariffs will cost BMW slightly over 1 billion Euros.

Again, BMW isn't closing the plant. They have said so on all our local tv.

gamewell45
03-16-2018, 07:24 PM

Do you trust what the MSM tells you?

hanger4
03-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Do you trust what the MSM tells you?The MSM didn't tell him.

Tahuyaman
03-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Wrong.

I oppose Trump’s tariffs, but I don’t know where you got the hat one. “Don’t look at me”. Really?

Tahuyaman
03-16-2018, 08:20 PM
That’s bad news for the liberals here.

Crepitus
03-16-2018, 09:15 PM
I oppose Trump’s tariffs, but I don’t know where you got the hat one. “Don’t look at me”. Really?

It's a distraction.

Tahuyaman
03-16-2018, 09:22 PM
It's a distraction.
From what?

Captdon
03-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Do you trust what the MSM tells you?

Asinine question. I heard it from the BMW executives on all four local channels. The MSM didn't tell me, BMW did. They are ready to open the expanded plant now. Again, they told us, not the MSM. They had the Port Authority expand the Port for them under contract. Seems the evidence is that they aren't changing their plans at all.

Sorry to bust your anti-Trump bubble.

gamewell45
03-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Asinine question. I heard it from the BMW executives on all four local channels. The MSM didn't tell me, BMW did. They are ready to open the expanded plant now. Again, they told us, not the MSM. They had the Port Authority expand the Port for them under contract. Seems the evidence is that they aren't changing their plans at all.

Sorry to bust your anti-Trump bubble.

You missed the entire point; it wasn't about what BMW executives said or didn't say. The question to you is this: Do you trust the MSM or not. A simple yes or no will suffice.

hanger4
03-17-2018, 03:36 PM
You missed the entire point; it wasn't about what BMW executives said or didn't say. The question to you is this: Do you trust the MSM or not. A simple yes or no will suffice.Then your statement;
Do you trust what the MSM tells you?is a non sequitur. BMW officials said the plant is not closing, I saw an interview myself on a local upstate station, whether or not one believes the MSM is irrelevant.

gamewell45
03-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Then your statement;is a non sequitur. BMW officials said the plant is not closing, I saw an interview myself on a local upstate station, whether or not one believes the MSM is irrelevant.

Well, that is where we disagree. I believe in the context originally given it does.

Captdon
03-17-2018, 05:13 PM
You missed the entire point; it wasn't about what BMW executives said or didn't say. The question to you is this: Do you trust the MSM or not. A simple yes or no will suffice.

No and what does it have to do with anything? What I heard wasn't the MSM. Your question was, and is, asinine.

What I told you wasn't what they said or didn't say. It's what they said period. That it doesn't suit you agenda is your problem. It's like telling me that this city doesn't get hot in the summer even though i live here.

Your problem was getting all caught up in the MSM bullshit and then getting someone who knows call you on it.

Captdon
03-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Well, that is where we disagree. I believe in the context originally given it does.

How? How could it? If the company says it isn't closing what does the MSM have to do with it? Do you ponly believe what they say as opposed to the company? You must be over the hill and down the road and around the bend.

They have a contract with our Port Authority for docking rights and don't intend to take a huge hit on penalties to try and trick people.

Captdon
03-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Then your statement;is a non sequitur. BMW officials said the plant is not closing, I saw an interview myself on a local upstate station, whether or not one believes the MSM is irrelevant.

Well, what would we local yokels know?

gamewell45
03-17-2018, 05:27 PM
No and what does it have to do with anything? What I heard wasn't the MSM. Your question was, and is, asinine.

What I told you wasn't what they said or didn't say. It's what they said period. That it doesn't suit you agenda is your problem. It's like telling me that this city doesn't get hot in the summer even though i live here.

Your problem was getting all caught up in the MSM bull$#@! and then getting someone who knows call you on it.

Look, you know your right and I know I'm right, so it's in our best interests to agree to disagree. I'm really not prepared to deal with you and your attitude today.

zelmo1234
03-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Well if BMW wants to move their production I suggest that you BMW drivers test drive this from Lincoln.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.gA3l9OHjS0U4IqWGTj0qFgHaE8&pid=Api

WOW is all I can say.......

Tahuyaman
03-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Trump's Tariffs May Cause BMW to Close It's Spartanburg, SC Plant.
So, is this story true or false? How would politifact rate it?

Captdon
03-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Look, you know your right and I know I'm right, so it's in our best interests to agree to disagree. I'm really not prepared to deal with you and your attitude today.

No, you can't be right unless BMW has its executives lying. You can't be right when they have signed a long-term contract with the Port Authority for docking their transport ships. You can't be right when they have signed a long-term contract with the railroad to ship to the port.

My attitude is I live right here and you don't know what you're talking about. There is no graceful way to say it except you are totally wrong.

Cannons Front
03-19-2018, 05:42 AM
Trump's Tariffs May Cause BMW to Close It's Spartanburg, SC Plant.

So, is this story true or false? How would politifact rate it?

Based on information provided by local sources and simple logic, the story is false, as I pointed out 20% of BMW world wide production comes from that 1 plant, they can not afford to close it.