PDA

View Full Version : Job openings hit 6.3 million in January, highest level on record

Common
03-17-2018, 03:07 AM
Job openings hit 6.3 million in January, highest level on record

Another Trump Triumph that wont be mainstream media reported

The number of advertised job openings rose to the highest level on record in January, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday.

Total job openings hit 6.3 million, up from 5.7 million the month before. That’s the highest number since the agency began keeping track in 2000. Private-sector openings also hit a record high.

Actual hiring, too, rose to 5.58 million in the month, making it the second-best month of the recovery for hires, behind October of last year. Around 360,000 people were hired in manufacturing, the best mark of the recovery.

Friday’s numbers come from the agency’s special Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey, often referred to as JOLTS. The report is released on a one-month lag from the more frequently cited jobs report, but includes details about hiring and firing that aren’t available anywhere else. Investors and the Federal Reserve value those numbers for signs of health in labor markets.
Prospects are brighter for job seekers, if the report is any indication. There are fewer unemployed workers relative to job openings. The ratio of unemployed workers to vacancies stands at below 1.1, a historic low. Even during the days of the housing bubble in the mid-2000s, there were more jobless people for each vacancy.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/job-openings-hit-63-million-in-january-highest-level-on-record

Peter1469
03-17-2018, 03:21 AM
The economy is getting better. But the continued deficit spending is dooming us in the long term.

How Debt Could Blow Up the Trump Economy (http://fortune.com/2018/03/15/us-national-debt-trump-tax-cuts/)

Donald Trump is pitching, as only Donald Trump can pitch, that a major economic revival is energizing America for a new run at greatness, and that he’s the straw stirring the elixir. In one representative recent tweet, the President declared, “Our economy is now booming and with all I am doing, will only get better … Our country is WINNING again!”
By 2028, America’s government debt burden could explode from this year’s $15.5 trillion to a staggering $33 trillion—more than 20% bigger than it would have been had Trump’s agenda not passed. At that point, interest payments would absorb more than $1 in $5 of federal revenue, crippling the government’s *capacity to bolster the economy, and constraining the private sector too. Contrary to the claims of the President and his supporters, the U.S. can’t grow fast enough to shed this burden; indeed, Trump’s agenda on immigration and trade looks likely to stunt that growth. (More on that later.) “This is almost like climate change,” says Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics. “It doesn’t do you in this year, or next year, but you’ll see the ill effects in a day of reckoning.”

Common
03-17-2018, 03:28 AM
Cant argue with that assessment pete

MMC
03-17-2018, 06:45 AM
We have been hearing about the debt for 40 years. Time to start collecting from those overseas that owe us. Which is damn near everybody.

Crepitus
03-17-2018, 08:35 AM
The trajectory we have been on for 7-8 years continues. Don't worry though, Donald will bring it down soon.

DGUtley
03-17-2018, 09:37 AM
The economy is getting better. But the continued deficit spending is dooming us in the long term.
The deficit is our #1 long-term National Security problem, IMHO.

Note: citation omitted from original.

zelmo1234
03-17-2018, 09:45 AM
The trajectory we have been on for 7-8 years continues. Don't worry though, Donald will bring it down soon.

No we are not under stagnation anymore. We are not producing part time jobs with no benefits and wages are not stagnate,

We are not punishing those that want to work and we are just starting to see companies move back into the USA, Remember after the worst recession since the great Depression Obama never had 2% growth.

Also remember the talk about the new normal from the Obama administration that is not longer the case. We are moving forward.

The economy is getting stronger, as Peter said we will have to see what revenue looks like next year, and get a grip on spending

Grokmaster
03-17-2018, 11:32 AM

Well into Pres.Trump's second year of economic growth the anti-business Obama couldn't even CONCEIVE (remember, 1% growth was "the new normal"?) , the ALLTIME RECORD of job openings, as wages are , moving up, as well, and "Obama did it".

waltky
03-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Uncle Ferd wantin' to know...

... if dey got any openin's fer someone...

... who can wring farts outta shirt-tails...

... atta dry cleanery?

MisterVeritis
03-17-2018, 12:51 PM
It is possible you are unaware of this, but, uh, well, it is the Congress that sets the budget. Our current Congress is essentially as dangerous and worthless as any Congress run by Democrats. Watch and see. Every radical leftist program will be fully funded and more. If Republicans lose control of the Congress this will be the reason, in my opinion.

MisterVeritis
03-17-2018, 12:52 PM
The deficit is our #1 long-term National Security problem, IMHO.

Note: citation omitted from original.
The debt, actually. The deficits are always short term.

Tahuyaman
03-17-2018, 01:37 PM

That trajectory was weak for many of those years.

I know you really want to give Obama credit for our recent economic rise. However, even you know that it will expose you as more of a partisan hack than even I could imagine.

Tahuyaman
03-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Job openings hit 6.3 million in January, highest level on record
The one thing which has been lagging during this economic recovery is wage growth. Hopefully this level of job openings will lead to wages increasing. Employers are going to be competing with each other to fill these job openings.

It is is great to be confronted with so much positive news concerning our economy. Especially after our previous president was telling up how low levels of economic growth and stagnation was the new normal.

No longer do we have a president who tells us that we were living too high on the hog and now we are in a decline as we deserve.

Captdon
03-17-2018, 05:30 PM

It still adds to the deficit long term.

Too many people don't realize we've been fortunate to have the ability to pay the interest at a extremely low rate. if the rates ever return to "normal" we don't have any way to pay our debt without a massive tax increase.

MisterVeritis
03-17-2018, 05:41 PM
It still adds to the deficit long term.

Too many people don't realize we've been fortunate to have the ability to pay the interest at a extremely low rate. if the rates ever return to "normal" we don't have any way to pay our debt without a massive tax increase.
I like to be precise. The deficit is an annual shortfall. The debt is long-term and will collapse the economy.

I hate being powerless to prevent what I see is coming.

Tahuyaman
03-17-2018, 05:44 PM
The recent economic news has been very good. Especially after going through the conditions we faced for the previous decade. My only fear is that when everything isn't always good news, politicians may reverse course and put us back into slow growth mode again.

Tahuyaman
03-17-2018, 05:47 PM
I like to be precise. The deficit is an annual shortfall. The debt is long-term and will collapse the economy.

I hate being powerless to prevent what I see is coming.

To be fair, the debt is the culmination of all deficits. But yes, if we don't address it effectively it will eventually explode and wreck our economy. Then we will be in a weimark republic situation.

Peter1469
03-18-2018, 04:54 AM

Deficits are not short term, they represent the part of the budget that adds to the debt.