PDA

View Full Version : Ohio - Kasich commutes death sentence

DGUtley
03-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Kasich has commuted the death sentence of a man scheduled to die on April 11th. This followed the recommendation of Ohio's parole board.

Kasich Grants Clemency to Death Row Inmate William
Montgomery (https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJlbWFpbCI6ImR1dGxleUBjcnVnb GF3LmNvbSIsImJ1bGxldGluX2xpbmtfaWQiOiIxMDEiLCJzdWJ zY3JpYmVyX2lkIjoiNzM3MjAzNzMwIiwibGlua19pZCI6IjM0O DQzNTc2MyIsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpkaWdlc3QiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHR wOi8vd3d3LmRpc3BhdGNoLmNvbS9uZXdzLzIwMTgwMzI2L2thc 2ljaC1ncmFudHMtY2xlbWVuY3ktdG8tZGVhdGgtcm93LWlubWF 0ZS13aWxsaWFtLW1vbnRnb21lcnkiLCJidWxsZXRpbl9pZCI6I jIwMTgwMzI3Ljg3NTgyNTkxIn0.hT_Ehh8ddMqEAurhMlA4nwL F5Sy7heMPI2pJpZOb0xo)

gamewell45
03-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Kasich has commuted the death sentence of a man scheduled to die on April 11th. This followed the recommendation of Ohio's parole board.

Kasich Grants Clemency to Death Row Inmate William
Montgomery (https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJlbWFpbCI6ImR1dGxleUBjcnVnb GF3LmNvbSIsImJ1bGxldGluX2xpbmtfaWQiOiIxMDEiLCJzdWJ zY3JpYmVyX2lkIjoiNzM3MjAzNzMwIiwibGlua19pZCI6IjM0O DQzNTc2MyIsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpkaWdlc3QiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHR wOi8vd3d3LmRpc3BhdGNoLmNvbS9uZXdzLzIwMTgwMzI2L2thc 2ljaC1ncmFudHMtY2xlbWVuY3ktdG8tZGVhdGgtcm93LWlubWF 0ZS13aWxsaWFtLW1vbnRnb21lcnkiLCJidWxsZXRpbl9pZCI6I jIwMTgwMzI3Ljg3NTgyNTkxIn0.hT_Ehh8ddMqEAurhMlA4nwL F5Sy7heMPI2pJpZOb0xo)

For some reason I couldn't get the link to open but either way it's cool. Was the recommendation from the Ohio parole board for clemency?

Max Rockatansky
03-28-2018, 09:39 AM
For some reason I couldn't get the link to open but either way it's cool. Was the recommendation from the Ohio parole board for clemency?
It redirected: http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180326/kasich-grants-clemency-to-death-row-inmate-william-montgomery
Today Governor John Kasich commuted the death sentence of William Montgomery to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Montgomery had been scheduled to be executed on April 11.
Kasich’s decision to grant clemency follows a March 16 report and recommendation from the Ohio Parole Board to not carry out the execution. The Board, by a vote of 6-4, concluded that life without parole was a more appropriate sentence, after serious questions arose following sentencing about the integrity of the trial court process.
Montgomery was convicted in 1986 for the murders of Debra Ogle and her roommate, Cynthia Tincher, in Toledo.

Cletus
03-28-2018, 09:41 AM
I am not a proponent of the death penalty except in cases of treason, elected officials who violate their oaths of office and betray the public faith and severe breaches of military discipline.

Common
03-28-2018, 11:45 AM
You have to register or subscribe to read the link unfortunately

texan
03-28-2018, 01:45 PM
I really struggle with the death penalty. There are too many examples of prosecutors not sharing everything fairly when peoples freedom and life is on the line.

MMC
03-28-2018, 02:17 PM
I really struggle with the death penalty. There are too many examples of prosecutors not sharing everything fairly when peoples freedom and life is on the line.

Agreed.....generally I am against the death penalty but there are some cases where its warranted. Also, I'm not all into taking care of them for the rest of their life.

There are some uses they can be used for. Especially for some issues overseas.

Now crimes of treason I am for execution. Which that doesn't bode well for Democrats and leftists.

roadmaster
03-28-2018, 02:25 PM
I am not against the death penalty.

Max Rockatansky
03-28-2018, 02:27 PM
I am not against the death penalty.
Me neither as long as they execute the right people and do it fairly.

DGUtley
03-28-2018, 02:55 PM
I am against the death penalty for the same reason that I am against abortion -- it is the taking of a life.

Mister D
03-28-2018, 03:06 PM
I am against the death penalty for the same reason that I am against abortion -- it is the taking of a life.
I perceive the two differently just as the Church has for most of her history. That said, I don't support the death penalty because of the potential for error.

Peter1469
03-28-2018, 03:13 PM
I perceive the two differently just as the Church has for most of her history. That said, I don't support the death penalty because of the potential for error.
I agree with this.

DGUtley
03-28-2018, 04:01 PM

I agree with this.
I respect both of your opinions. Thanks for responding and for reminding me of my shortsightedness. I should've said that I oppose the death penalty for (among other reasons) the same reason I oppose abortion. My primary reason is b/c it's the taking of a life but there's several other valid reasons.

Abby08
03-31-2018, 09:52 AM
Abortion is the taking of an innocent life, a life that didn't even get to have a say......executing a person who killed one, of more people is......justice.....I'm not for supporting murderers for life, with my tax dollars.