PDA

View Full Version : AP Newsbreak: US Scales Back Northern Border Checks.....

MMC
10-29-2011, 12:59 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-us-northern-border-checks-scaled-back-211616453.html

SEATTLE (AP) — The U.S. Border Patrol has quietly stopped its controversial practice of routinely searching buses, trains and airports for illegal immigrants at transportation hubs along the northern border and in the nation's interior, preventing agents from using what had long been an effective tool for tracking down people here illegally, The Associated Press has learned.

Current and former Border Patrol agents said field offices around the country began receiving the order last month — soon after the Obama administration announced that to ease an overburdened immigration system, it would allow many illegal immigrants to remain in the country while it focuses on deporting those who have committed crimes.

The order has not been made public, but two agents described it to the AP on condition of anonymity because the government does not authorize them to speak to the media. The union that represents Border Patrol agents planned to issue a news release about the change Monday.

"Orders have been sent out from Border Patrol headquarters in Washington, D.C., to Border Patrol sectors nationwide that checks of transportation hubs and systems located away from the southwest border of the United States will only be conducted if there is intelligence indicating a threat," the release says.

Those who have received the orders said agents may still go to train and bus stations and airports if they have specific "actionable intelligence" that there is an illegal immigrant there who recently entered the country. An agent in Washington state said it's not clear how agents are supposed to glean such intelligence, and even if they did, under the new directive they still require clearance from Washington, D.C., headquarters before they can respond.

Shawn Moran, vice president of the union that represents agents, was outraged at the changes.

"Stated plainly, Border Patrol managers are increasing the layers of bureaucracy and making it as difficult as possible for Border Patrol agents to conduct their core duties," the National Border Patrol Council's statement said. "The only risks being managed by this move are too many apprehensions, negative media attention and complaints generated by immigrant rights groups.".....snip~

So because Obama wants to just go after immigrants with records.....they will scale back all checks on the Northern Border. How does this make our Country Safer now? Problem is the Order is not Specific and affects all our Borders.

What is Obama willing to ease off immigration in order to garner the Hispanic and Latino Vote? Border Security was increased. All based on the recommnedation by DHS and LEA's. Prior NSA, Border and Customs Officials. All due to the fact that the Security was damn near nonexistent. Now the left increases that security but then doesnt want them to do their job. Sit around until there is some sort of intel to go on.
This is not Pro-Active. This is re-active. Not to smart of a strategy. All for Politics.

Conley
10-29-2011, 12:34 PM
This is terrible. Now that we are finishing up in Iraq (and hopefully Afghanistan too in the next couple of years) we need a renewed focus on real national security i.e. enforcing our borders and keeping tabs on who and what is coming and going. 9/11 should be a reminder of the dangers people who have already gotten into the country can cause.

jgreer
10-29-2011, 12:41 PM
I am absolutely positive that increased border security is one of Obama's priorities and now that he has finished Bush's war he will return national guard and other security measures to all our borders.

Mister D
10-29-2011, 12:57 PM
What is Obama willing to ease off immigration in order to garner the Hispanic and Latino Vote?

And we have a winner!

Conley
10-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm half laughing, half crying. :-\

Do we get Hispanics through the North? I'm sure a few but can't be too many. Probably a lot of Indians and Pakistanis coming through there though.

Mister D
10-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I didn't realize it was "controversial" to routinely "search buses, trains and airports for illegal immigrants at transportation hubs along the northern border and in the nation's interior".

This talk of only going after criminals (they are all criminals) has zero to do with the security of this nation and everything to do with getting BO reelected. It's aimed primarily at Hispanics. BO realizes he's lost the white vote so he is looking to make up some of what he has lost.

jgreer
10-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Well you know what they say about opinions. ::)

MMC
10-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Still 3 known terrorists were picked up going back and forth thru the Northern Border and into Canada. Scaling back operations while increasing security personell. How does this makes this country safer? This is Obvious pandering by the Dems. Why?

Because the Repubs picked up some key Latin Pols. Plus the Govenor of New Mexico. Rubio who just made it to the game and already they were looking at him for Cabinet postions.

No one can dispute that the order came directly from the White House. :o

Mister D
10-29-2011, 03:24 PM
BO is the same old same old. I'm not singling him when I say that their first priority is reelection.

MMC
10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
BO is the same old same old. I'm not singling him when I say that their first priority is reelection.

Plus there are more Canadians with Dual Citizenship here in the US. Obviously there exists different conditions and circumstances for our Northern Border. But Security should no be slackened. Especially when the terrorists are looking for ways in. Even moreso now when there has been all the succussful attacks on them. They go public with it so that Citizens in those regions can keep their eyes out. To be aware is to be alive.

Mister D
10-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Plus there are more Canadians with Dual Citizenship here in the US. Obviously there exists different conditions and circumstances for our Northern Border. But Security should no be slackened. Especially when the terrorists are looking for ways in. Even moreso now when there has been all the succussful attacks on them. They go public with it so that Citizens in those regions can keep their eyes out. To be aware is to be alive.

As far as I'm concerned, the terror threat is just another good reason to secure the border.

Conley
10-29-2011, 08:06 PM
I admit that rationally illegal immigration is a much larger issue than a potential terror attack (for now though, assuming we're not talking about anything nuclear or biological) but emotionally I fear a terror attack much more. The illegal immigration we've been living with so long I fear it less (not that that makes it ok). Hopefully that makes sense.

Mister D
10-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I admit that rationally illegal immigration is a much larger issue than a potential terror attack (for now though, assuming we're not talking about anything nuclear or biological) but emotionally I fear a terror attack much more. The illegal immigration we've been living with so long I fear it less (not that that makes it ok). Hopefully that makes sense.

Understood. I fear migration more because its effects are longer lasting and potentially permanent. For me, the terror argument is just another good reason among many to gain control of our own borders. It's unique appeal, for me anyway, is that it's relatively easy for everyone to accept without any reservations whereas fears of being called a racist and crap like that can sway some people away from otherwise voicing their concerns. In fact, I'm inclined to use the terror threat cynically.

Conley
10-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that the terror threat has been used to erode our freedoms and expand the federal governments in areas totally unrelated. I think that's being realistic, not cynical. Really we all agree the borders need to be tightened up. Most Americans are against illegal immigration as well, certainly more than the pols in DC.

Mister D
10-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that the terror threat has been used to erode our freedoms and expand the federal governments in areas totally unrelated. I think that's being realistic, not cynical. Really we all agree the borders need to be tightened up. Most Americans are against illegal immigration as well, certainly more than the pols in DC.

Right. Most Americans are in favor of cracking down on illegal immigration and restricting immigration in general. While I can certainly appreciate your concerns about terror and think they're very reasonable I also think the issue can be used to help people speak their minds. As you know ( :D), I'm not afraid to voice my opinions regarding the legions of lettuce pickers we import but the very real threat of terrorism will help others be more outspoken.

MMC
10-29-2011, 11:29 PM
What should be done is to copy that order and send it to Every Democrat out there. Then every media source. So they can be questioned upon it immediately. There is no playing with the Security of the US.

chuckster
10-30-2011, 07:25 AM
obama is just desperate for votes he'll take them anywhere he can