PDA

View Full Version : Trump has instructed military leaders to prepare to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria

Peter1469
04-05-2018, 07:01 AM
Trump has instructed military leaders to prepare to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-instructs-military-to-begin-planning-for-withdrawal-from-syria/2018/04/04/1039f420-3811-11e8-8fd2-49fe3c675a89_story.html?wpmk=1&wpisrc=al_news__alert-world--alert-national)

I agree. With the caveat that SoF troops are not really considered troops for such statements. After all US spec ops troops are in over 160 nations. Anyway, there is no need for a conventional presence in Syria at least unless Congress declares war against Assad.

President Trump has instructed military leaders to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria as soon as possible and told them he wants Arab allies to take over and pay for stabilizing and reconstructing areas liberated from the Islamic State, according to senior U.S. officials.

In a meeting with top national security aides Tuesday, Trump backtracked on his public insistence that the troop exit was imminent, now that the militants were “close to 100 percent” defeated. Pressed by the president to tell him how much more time they needed to finish the job, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joseph F. Dunford Jr. said it would probably be months, not years, officials said.

Trump agreed that the military, as fighting continued against remaining militant pockets, could train local security *forces.

But officials said he stressed that U.S. strategic goals in Syria do not include longer-term stability or reconstruction efforts. He said he did not want to be having the same conversation about withdrawal six months or more from now.

In the meantime, the administration is pressuring allies in the region to put what White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders called “more skin in the game.”

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Isn't it something how the Democrats and establishment Republicans are opposed to this?

The Xl
04-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Trump will get credit from me if he pulls this off.

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Trump has instructed military leaders to prepare to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-instructs-military-to-begin-planning-for-withdrawal-from-syria/2018/04/04/1039f420-3811-11e8-8fd2-49fe3c675a89_story.html?wpmk=1&wpisrc=al_news__alert-world--alert-national)

I agree. With the caveat that SoF troops are not really considered troops for such statements. After all US spec ops troops are in over 160 nations. Anyway, there is no need for a conventional presence in Syria at least unless Congress declares war against Assad.

I completely agree. There is no mission there which requires the presence of conventional forces.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 03:27 PM
I completely agree. There is no mission there which requires the presence of conventional forces.
Communications, intelligence, and logistical support all require conventional troops.

So, what are we doing in Syria after ISIS has ended?

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Communications, intelligence, and logistical support all require conventional troops.

All forces need intelligence data, communications and logistical support. There is no need for conventional forces in Syria.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 03:33 PM
All forces need intelligence data, communications and logistical support. There is no need for conventional forces in Syria.
In your opinion how are those necessary items supplied if there are no conventional forces? Comms, Intel, and Log are usually what we bring to the table when supporting other forces who are fighting. If that is not what we are doing then why have any forces in the country?

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 03:38 PM
In your opinion how are those necessary items supplied if there are no conventional forces? Comms, Intel, and Log are usually what we bring to the table when supporting other forces who are fighting. If that is not what we are doing then why have any forces in the country?

What the eff are you trying to argue about? Do you believe conventional combat forces should remain in Syria?

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 03:43 PM
What the eff are you trying to argue about? Do you believe conventional combat forces should remain in Syria?
You said you believe there is no mission in Syria that requires conventional forces. Okay. You also implied you thought special operators should stay. For what purpose?

If our goal is to provide support to fighters friendly to us then there is a role for conventional forces. Comms, Intel, and log support all require conventional forces. I wondered what you thought SOF would do in Syria without conventional forces to provide support.

Have you given this any thought?

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 03:46 PM
I can see a covert operation mission there. If you can't, you are not quite as experienced as you claim.

A conventional presence is a much greater commitment. It also has much greater political implications.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 04:17 PM
I can see a covert operation mission there. If you can't, you are not quite as experienced as you claim.
The opposite is true. It is okay to admit you have no idea what we might do there.

A conventional presence is a much greater commitment. It also has much greater political implications.
While true it is not relevant. One must begin with the end goal in mind. What is the end goal?

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 04:24 PM
The political ramifications of our presence there is quite relevant.

If there was a goal in Syria, it is claimed that this goal has been realized.

Peter1469
04-05-2018, 04:25 PM

There is nothing to do in Syria when ISIL is defeated.

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Correct. However, special OP's can assist the locals in maintaining that condition.

Peter1469
04-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Correct. However, special OP's can assist the locals in maintaining that condition.
That is the point.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Okay. I am open either way.

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 05:07 PM
That is the point.

That point isn't so obvious to some.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 05:08 PM
How?

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 05:08 PM
That is the point.
I will ask you the same question. How?

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 05:47 PM
How?

I thought you claimed to be a former military professional?

Peter1469
04-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Assad is not our enemy. ISIL is.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 06:14 PM
I thought you claimed to be a former military professional?
It was your suggestion. I am asking you how a few special operators are going to keep ISIL defeated. If you don't know just say you don't know.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 06:16 PM

That is the point.

Assad is not our enemy. ISIL is.
You answered a question that was not asked.

Peter1469
04-05-2018, 06:21 PM

That is the point.

You answered a question that was not asked.
The classic mission of SoF is to train the locals to take care of themselves.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Yes. I attended the foreign internal defense course at Hurlburt Field.

After decades of war do you think the locals are not trained? If you were making the case that the special operators are there to spy on our allies I could agree they would need little additional support.

Peter1469
04-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Yes. I attended the foreign internal defense course at Hurlburt Field.

After decades of war do you think the locals are not trained? If you were making the case that the special operators are there to spy on our allies I could agree they would need little additional support.
I know Hurlburt Field.

I think the locals can use training. As a military they are pretty weak. They are more of a mob.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 06:40 PM
I know Hurlburt Field.
I think the locals can use training. As a military they are pretty weak. They are more of a mob.
Well, okay.
The FID was a short, but very interesting course.

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 08:29 PM

you are wasting your time. MV doesn't understand. He's a wanna-be.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 10:35 PM
you are wasting your time. MV doesn't understand. He's a wanna-be.
The difference between us, is that I am competent.

Did you ever answer the question? Of course not. You have no idea what the answer might be.

Buffoon? LOL.

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 10:59 PM
The difference between us, is that I am competent.Did you ever answer the question? Of course not. You have no idea what the answer might be.Buffoon? LOL.

Tahuyaman
04-05-2018, 10:59 PM

Did you ever answer the question? Of course not. You have no idea what the answer might be.

Buffoon? LOL.

You are a phony. You were no more a soldier than I was a fighter pilot.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 11:05 PM
The difference between us, is that I am competent. Did you ever answer the question? Of course not. You have no idea what the answer might be. Buffoon? LOL.

Did you have a failure here Tahu?

LOL.

MisterVeritis
04-05-2018, 11:06 PM

You are a phony. You were no more a soldier than I was a fighter pilot.
And you are Tahu. LOL.