PDA

View Full Version : Teachers Get Baseball Bats to Confront Shooters in Pennsylvania District

roadmaster
04-11-2018, 10:28 PM
First rocks now this, small bats too. :laugh:Hey at least they didn't decide like Broward county where the last shooting was the school board not to have any protection except clear backpacks.

school district in Erie, Pa., has supplied teachers and other school employees with miniature baseball bats to use as a last resort if confronted with an active shooter.“We don’t want to be sitting ducks,” William Hall, superintendent of the Millcreek Township School District, said on Wednesday. “We’re not just going to go hide.”
The 18-inch wood bats are also meant to be “symbolic,” he said, to remind people that the old policy of simply turning off the lights, shutting the door and hiding, is not enough. Now, he says, one option is fighting back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/us/erie-bats-school-shooting.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Max Rockatansky
04-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Why small baseball bats? Sure, they're useful in a pinch, but a larger one is better.

roadmaster
04-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Well it's going to cost $3 each, I don't know why they just didn't ask the teachers to go out and get a stick. That is going to scare a gunman

Tahuyaman
04-11-2018, 10:33 PM
It's tough to hit a major league curve ball. Imagine how tough it is to hit a bullet taveling at 2,500 to 3,000 feet per second.

Tahuyaman
04-11-2018, 10:38 PM
First rocks now this, small bats too. :laugh:Hey at least they didn't decide like Broward county where the last shooting was the school board not to have any protection except clear backpacks.

school district in Erie, Pa., has supplied teachers and other school employees with miniature baseball bats to use as a last resort if confronted with an active shooter.“We don’t want to be sitting ducks,” William Hall, superintendent of the Millcreek Township School District, said on Wednesday. “We’re not just going to go hide.”
The 18-inch wood bats are also meant to be “symbolic,” he said, to remind people that the old policy of simply turning off the lights, shutting the door and hiding, is not enough. Now, he says, one option is fighting back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/us/erie-bats-school-shooting.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

First it was canned vegetables, then came the buckets of rocks.

Common
04-12-2018, 04:18 AM
This whole school thing just Piss's' me off, every one that can change it is just sitting on their hands.

ARM The teachers that qualify and train them, or spend the money for either SROS or trained armed security along with security technology.

Small bats against guns ? seriously ???

Listen Democrats guns are not going ANYWHERE, get behind School Security

stjames1_53
04-12-2018, 06:01 AM
like bringing a knife to a gun fight...................WTF are these people thinking................

Standing Wolf
04-12-2018, 08:07 AM
"We come into this world defenseless. That's why God gave us baseball bats. Well, he gave us trees...but we knew what he meant."

- Christopher Titus

Peter1469
04-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Liberals are great at coming up with really stupid ideas.

stjames1_53
04-12-2018, 09:33 AM
First it was canned vegetables, then came the buckets of rocks.

no sir..............Gun Free Zones came first

Cletus
04-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Let's see... Defend against a guy breaking into my classroom.

I have a choice... Baseball bat or NOTHING.

I think I'll choose the bat.

I don't think anyone believes that is an ideal solution, but anything that gives you even a little edge is better than just sitting there with your eyes closed waiting for the bullet. A shooter has to come through the door to get into the classroom. When he is in that funnel, he is actually quite vulnerable. Something like a bat or a baton may not help the people where he initially opens fire, but if he goes from room to room, it might make a big difference.

Again, not an ideal solution, but better than nothing.

Tahuyaman
04-12-2018, 10:46 AM
no sir..............Gun Free Zones came first

Gun free zones weren't developed as a defensive measure. It was a stupid idea intended to prevent them from happening.

Standing Wolf
04-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Gun free zones weren't developed as a defensive measure. It was a stupid idea intended to prevent them from happening.

Gun Free Zones are an example of magical thinking. Make something illegal and it won't exist.

Tahuyaman
04-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Gun Free Zones are an example of magical thinking. Make something illegal and it won't exist.

As misguided as it was, it was still intended to be a preventive measure not defensive.