PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans is 300 years old

Peter1469
04-14-2018, 04:04 AM
New Orleans is 300 years old (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/04/12/new-orleans-celebrates-300-years-survival-against-storms-floods-revolts-and-non-stop-influx-newcomer/486176002/)

My hometown turned 300.

Ever since Canadian-born French explorer Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville chose the swampy, flood-prone bend in the lower Mississippi River in 1718 as the spot for a new French colony, New Orleans has been a non-stop roller coaster of historical events.

Nouvelle-Orléans, as it was originally known, was ruled by three countries in less than a century — France, Spain and America — and swelled with Caribbean, European and African immigrants. It endured outbreaks of yellow fever, slave uprisings, river floods and one debilitating hurricane after another. The most recent big one, Hurricane Katrina in 2005, submerged 80% of the city, led to about 1,400 deaths and threatened the city’s very existence.This year, New Orleans, birthplace of jazz and jambalaya, celebrates its survival from three centuries of tumult with a 300th birthday party filled with exhibitions, panel discussions, street parades and parties. Throughout the city, large “300” signs have been set up in plazas and parks, each big enough for visitors to snap pictures beside.Sean Cummings, a New Orleans hotelier and entrepreneur, said the tricentennial is as much a tribute to the city’s resilience as it is its existence.

“For me, it’s a (sign) that something here works,” he said. “It’s lasted for 300 years, and New Orleans has managed to be not only part of the physical landscape as an American city but in many ways part of the poetic landscape.”

silvereyes
04-14-2018, 04:52 AM
I want to live there so much....but I'm scared to move to a new place on my own.

Peter1469
04-14-2018, 09:32 AM
I want to live there so much....but I'm scared to move to a new place on my own.

It is a neat place, but has serious crime issues.

Mini Me
04-14-2018, 09:55 AM
Peter, if you had good sense and survival instincts, you would leave there!

NO can not last, as surely the next Katrina will come!
And crime is a good reason for getting out.

NO is a steaming malaria pit, destined for snakes and gators to take over!

Peter1469
04-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Peter, if you had good sense and survival instincts, you would leave there!

NO can not last, as surely the next Katrina will come!
And crime is a good reason for getting out.

NO is a steaming malaria pit, destined for snakes and gators to take over!
I left there in 1999.

I have mixed feelings about the place. It is amazing. But it could be much better with proper governance.