PDA

View Full Version : Do 40 percent of young Americans think free speech is dangerous?

CCitizen
04-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Here. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/04/12/do-40-percent-of-young-americans-think-free-speech-is-dangerous/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f252482ad127)

Different polls show different results, but overall a large minority of Millennials support banning offensive speech.

Forty percent of Americans under age 35 tell pollsters they think the First Amendment is dangerous because you might use your freedom to say something that hurts somebody else’s feelings.

“Most Americans (59%) say people should be allowed to express unpopular opinions in public, even those that are deeply offensive to other people,” a 2017 survey by the Cato Institute found (https://www.cato.org/survey-reports/state-free-speech-tolerance-america). “A substantial minority (40%), however, say government should prevent people from engaging in hate speech against certain groups in public.”

roadmaster
04-16-2018, 10:06 PM
You should never ban free speech. How would the left feel if a law was passed that they couldn't criticize Christians. That you could serve 2 years in prison for saying something against us or our beliefs. Even we are not in favor of this but don't tell us our beliefs are hate speech. We have a right to believe what the Bible says and you have a right to disagree.

CCitizen
04-16-2018, 10:11 PM
How would the left feel if a law was passed that they couldn't criticize Christians. That you could serve 2 years in prison for saying something against us or our beliefs. Even we are not in favor of this but don't tell us our beliefs are hate speech. We have a right to believe what the Bible says and you have a right to disagree.
I am Jewish and believe in Old Testament.

I also oppose Liberals who want to ban Free Speech.

roadmaster
04-16-2018, 10:13 PM
I am Jewish and believe in Old Testament.

I also oppose Liberals who want to ban Free Speech. And I am against Judaism Talmud religion.

CCitizen
04-16-2018, 10:19 PM
And I am against Judaism Talmud religion.
It is a shame that some Conservatives are AntiSemites. President Trump's daughter is an Orthodox Jew.

All Humans are Created Equal.

roadmaster
04-16-2018, 10:30 PM
It is a shame that some Conservatives are AntiSemites. President Trump's daughter is an Orthodox Jew.

All Humans are Created Equal. I believe the Bible when He said if you believed Moses you would believe in Me because he spoke of Me. I listen to Jesus not you or any other religion.

Tahuyaman
04-17-2018, 12:15 AM
Here. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/04/12/do-40-percent-of-young-americans-think-free-speech-is-dangerous/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f252482ad127)

Different polls show different results, but overall a large minority of Millennials support banning offensive speech.

They've been indoctrinated by our education system to believe that.

Tahuyaman
04-17-2018, 12:16 AM
And I am against Judaism Talmud religion.

How do you feel about Islam?

roadmaster
04-17-2018, 12:25 AM
How do you feel about Islam? Against their Quran religion too. I believe Jesus is the Only name you can call upon to be saved. No one comes to the Father except by Him.

Tahuyaman
04-17-2018, 12:34 AM
Against their Quran religion too. I believe Jesus is the Only name you can call upon to be saved. No one comes to the Father except by Him.

I agree with that.

roadmaster
04-17-2018, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't call myself a Christian if I didn't believe this. But back on subject, free speech is important here in America. You should be able to voice your faith or non faith. Christians believe in soul winning, now it might hinder some if they passed hate speech laws but the ones who stand up for His word will never comply . But the ones it's going to hinder are the ones who don't stand now while we have free speech. If they can't say Thus sayith the LORD now, how will they when it's gone. And there will come a time.

Common
04-17-2018, 02:13 AM
I do not blame the young for being against free speech, they werent born hating free speech, they were indoctrinated into believing only their speech is free every one elses cannot exist.

Liberal schools and universities half baked professors want to stifle anything they dont want to hear. I believe that only works with the naive, after they get all grown up, have to get out of bed and go grind out a living and worry about their kids in school and having some educator over ride their beliefs within their families, everything changes.

Stifling free speech is like prohibition and the war on drugs, it doesnt change a single persons mind, it just makes their THOUGHTS FESTER, getting it out and talking about it is the only way to come to any other conclusion.

This thing about hating christians, hating jews, hating blacks, hating hispanics and hating whites and gays and trannys and bedbugs and butterflies is bullshit.

I dont hate anyone until you make me hate you, to do that you have to do something to me or my own.
In this world of Politics merely being against something someone wants or believes in makes you a hater. If you are against Illegal immigration you MUST hate hispanices, if you are for trump you are a racist, if you are a gainst transexuals in womens bathrooms you hate, if you are against gay anything you homophobe. If you dare to say one utterance that a femnist does not agree with you are a mysoginist.

What I am is what I want to be and no one labeling me or hating me is going to change a thing.

donttread
04-17-2018, 07:24 AM

Ban such talk!

Mini Me
04-17-2018, 08:36 AM
they've been indoctrinated by our education system to believe that.
hate speech is not free speech!

Tahuyaman
04-17-2018, 09:55 AM
hate speech is not free speech! Disagreeing with a liberal is not hate speech.

CCitizen
04-17-2018, 02:50 PM
I believe Jesus is the Only name you can call upon to be saved.

Judaism does not consider Christians and Muslims to be inherently sinful.

Every non-Jew who keeps the Seven Laws of Noah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah) will be rewarded in the Afterlife.

CCitizen
04-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Liberal schools and universities half baked professors want to stifle anything they dont want to hear. I believe that only works with the naive, after they get all grown up, have to get out of bed and go grind out a living and worry about their kids in school and having some educator over ride their beliefs within their families, everything changes.
Hopefully more Americans will take a stand against the Totalitarian Left.

I agree with Liberals on some Economic issues. But stifling Free Speech is inexcusable.

Captdon
04-17-2018, 06:12 PM

Yes, it is. If not calling for violence all speech is protected. Who's going to decide what free speech is otherwise?

CCitizen
04-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Yes, it is. If not calling for violence all speech is protected. Who's going to decide what free speech is otherwise?

In USA laws are very different from UK, Canada, Australia.

Crepitus
04-17-2018, 09:32 PM

I agree with Liberals on some Economic issues. But stifling Free Speech is inexcusable.

Totalitarian left?

Where do you dingbats come up with this nonsense?

DGUtley
04-18-2018, 05:14 AM

All Humans are Created Equal.

There are anti-Semites everywhere, unfortunately.

DGUtley
04-18-2018, 05:16 AM

Yes it is. At least under what the left currently defines as “hate speech”. However, if you want to let me define it, I’m good with that.

DGUtley
04-18-2018, 05:17 AM
It is the most offensive of speech that is the most deserving of protection.

CCitizen
04-18-2018, 10:18 PM
It is the most offensive of speech that is the most deserving of protection.
Thank you! Hopefully USA will remain Free.

Tahuyaman
04-19-2018, 01:28 AM
Yes it is. At least under what the left currently defines as “hate speech”. However, if you want to let me define it, I’m good with that.

Some people have a very low or different threshold as to what is considered hate speech. There are people who portray any political disagreement as hate speech.

DGUtley
04-19-2018, 03:25 AM
Some people have a very low or different threshold as to what is considered hate speech. There are people who portray any political disagreement as hate speech.

Exactly!!

Mini Me
04-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Disagreeing with a liberal is not hate speech.

Rubbish! I see the vast majority of HATE coming from your side, Festus!

Mini Me
04-19-2018, 09:45 PM

Whoa! The myth of the "totalitarian left"!LMFAO! The left has always fought fascism and are the social justice warriors thruout history! Your Trump sure has totalitarian tendencies!

His admiration of Phillipine dictator slaughtering drug users is dispicable!

Common Sense
04-19-2018, 09:49 PM
I don't think that's true. No one is saying any political disagreement is hate speech.

When it comes to hate speech, the argument for regulation focuses on speech that promotes violence against specific groups.

Cletus
04-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Hate speech laws are stupid and only stupid people support them.

Common Sense
04-19-2018, 10:20 PM
Hate speech laws are stupid and only stupid people support them.

Compelling argument.

Tahuyaman
04-19-2018, 11:51 PM
Disagreeing with a liberal is not hate speech.

Rubbish! I see the vast majority of HATE coming from your side, Festus!

See? Liberals will not tolerate disagreement.

Tahuyaman
04-20-2018, 11:49 AM

I don't think that's true. No one is saying any political disagreement is hate speech.

When it comes to hate speech, the argument for regulation focuses on speech that promotes violence against specific groups.

My comment is 100% correct. There are people who claim that communicating different political point of view is promoting violence.

Bob the Slob
04-20-2018, 11:51 AM

So, it's not really about free speech..it's about name-calling, right?

DGUtley
04-20-2018, 01:24 PM
So, it's not really about free speech..it's about name-calling, right?

Name-calling is a form of free speech

gamewell45
04-20-2018, 01:30 PM
You should never ban free speech. How would the left feel if a law was passed that they couldn't criticize Christians. That you could serve 2 years in prison for saying something against us or our beliefs. Even we are not in favor of this but don't tell us our beliefs are hate speech. We have a right to believe what the Bible says and you have a right to disagree.
Let me expand on that.

How about if a law was passed that both the left and right could not criticize any religion? I think that would be horrible. People have a right to believe what the Bible, Koran or other book of belief or sacred law says without it being labeled as hate speech IMO.

DGUtley
04-20-2018, 01:34 PM
I subscribe to the belief that "It is the most offensive of speech that is the most deserving of protection." I would not move to stop the Crucifix Urine Art display any more than I'd move to stop a BLM march. I might protest the Art. I might disagree with the BLM points but it is all about free speech to me -- yours, his, hers, theirs, mine. Walk away, turn if off, don't buy it, don't listen etc.