PDA

View Full Version : 9th Circuit to appoint special prosecutor to oppose pardoned Arpaio

DGUtley
04-20-2018, 07:15 AM
I don't get this one. How is this not political? Shouldn't the courts not be political? The pardon power is pretty strong, though at times very distasteful.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/9th_circuit_appoints_special_prosecutor_to_oppose_ arpaio_dissenter_fears_at/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

stjames1_53
04-20-2018, 07:28 AM
the 9th circuit court thinks they run America. 24 out of 25 cases that made it to SCOTUS have been tossed. Surely they don't really think they can win.

The 9th Circuit said it had the authority to appoint a special prosecutor under Rule 42 (https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcrmp/rule_42) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, which provides for special prosecutor appointments when the government declines to prosecute a criminal contempt case.
WTF?? and they aren't going after Hillary?

MMC
04-20-2018, 07:39 AM
Maybe Congress should impeach a couple of those Lib Tard Judges. Trump should go ahead and break up the 9th.

Plus Grassley and McConnell need to fil those vacancies up ASAP.

DGUtley
04-20-2018, 07:41 AM
I don't get the attempt to override the pardon. Agree or disagree with the pardon, it's fairly absolute (I think) and would set a dangerous precedent to have future Democrat president's pardons challenged. Remember, whatever the D's do to Trump the R's will do sevenfold to the next D president. Never take more power for yourself than you are willing to give to your worst enemy.

Common
04-20-2018, 08:07 AM
Purely political like everything the 9th circuit does, his lawyer should have some recourse with this

Peter1469
04-20-2018, 08:32 AM
Seems to be an abuse of power to me.

stjames1_53
04-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Once again, the 9th circuit court's grasp exceeds its reach..............

MMC
04-20-2018, 09:32 AM
It is political and it is also designed to antagonize Trump.

Bob the Slob
04-20-2018, 11:45 AM
I don't get this one. How is this not political? Shouldn't the courts not be political? The pardon power is pretty strong, though at times very distasteful.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/9th_circuit_appoints_special_prosecutor_to_oppose_ arpaio_dissenter_fears_at/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email
Trump used politics o pardon a man who lied to the FBI. The justice department here is just trying to say that Arpaio should not have been pardoned for this crime. For those looking into it, it's a matter of rule of law. Something Trump is against.

stjames1_53
04-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Trump used politics o pardon a man who lied to the FBI. The justice department here is just trying to say that Arpaio should not have been pardoned for this crime. For those looking into it, it's a matter of rule of law. Something Trump is against.

who lied to the FBI that Trump pardoned?

Peter1469
04-20-2018, 01:20 PM

^^^Confused.

gamewell45
04-20-2018, 01:24 PM

One would hope that the courts base their decisions on the US Constitution & laws and not on ideals.

DGUtley
04-20-2018, 01:29 PM

1. I think you are confused.
2. When Obama pardoned that drug trafficker from Youngstown we were powerless to stop it. That's what the presidential pardon power is about. I don't understand this. Remember, don't take more power for yourself than you are willing to give to your worst enemy.

MMC
04-20-2018, 01:49 PM
One would hope that the courts base their decisions on the US Constitution & laws and not on ideals.

When it comes to the 9th.....you can forget about Hoping on that. Hence SCOTUS always putting that bitch slap on them.

gamewell45
04-20-2018, 02:08 PM
When it comes to the 9th.....you can forget about Hoping on that. Hence SCOTUS always putting that $#@! slap on them.

If it comes to that, then so be it.

MMC
04-20-2018, 02:20 PM
If it comes to that, then so be it.

Its already their History. So its not like they can escape that reality.

Standing Wolf
04-20-2018, 03:17 PM
No one is trying to "undo" the pardon. A pardon does not vacate a conviction - it merely immunizes the convicted party from punishment.

Arpaio's supporters are wanting the court to pretend that the conviction never occurred.

Bob the Slob
04-20-2018, 03:38 PM
^^^Confused.
How can I help end your confusion?

Bob the Slob
04-20-2018, 03:40 PM
No one is trying to "undo" the pardon. A pardon does not vacate a conviction - it merely immunizes the convicted party from punishment.

Arpaio's supporters are wanting the court to pretend that the conviction never occurred.

Thanks. Yeah, I read that just now. I was under the impression Trumper already erased it. But the judge refused to do that. Thanks for your help.

Peter1469
04-20-2018, 04:12 PM
How can I help end your confusion?

Posting something that makes sense would help.

stjames1_53
04-21-2018, 08:02 AM
It is the 9th circuit court we're discussing. No other federal court would even hear such a thing. Trump needs to bust that court up.
Question: Where is the DNC getting the money to pay for the lawyers?

gamewell45
04-21-2018, 08:44 AM
It is the 9th circuit court we're discussing. No other federal court would even hear such a thing. Trump needs to bust that court up.
Question: Where is the DNC getting the money to pay for the lawyers?
I have no idea; perhaps using money from donations?

Tahuyaman
04-21-2018, 09:32 AM
I don't get the attempt to override the pardon. Agree or disagree with the pardon, it's fairly absolute (I think) and would set a dangerous precedent to have future Democrat president's pardons challenged. Remember, whatever the D's do to Trump the R's will do sevenfold to the next D president. Never take more power for yourself than you are willing to give to your worst enemy.

They can't overturn a presidential pardon. Yes, the president's power to issue a pardon is basically absolute. This is a clear example of judicial activism.

Tahuyaman
04-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Get a grip. They are playing politics against a president whom they dislike.

Standing Wolf
04-21-2018, 09:42 AM
Again...no one is attempting to "overturn a Presidential pardon".

Fake news. The kind that really is fake.

I understand it wouldn't be nearly as much fun, but some of you guys ought to really learn to study and understand an issue before getting your panties all in a bunch.

Tahuyaman
04-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Again...no one is attempting to "overturn a Presidential pardon".

Fake news. The kind that really is fake.

I understand it wouldn't be nearly as much fun, but some of you guys ought to really learn to study and understand an issue before getting your panties all in a bunch.

What would you call it when a court is trying reinstate the conviction of a person who was granted a presidential pardon?

They are indeed attempting to reverse a presidential pardon. That would be in fact "overturning" a presidential pardon.

A federal appeals court will appoint a special prosecutor to argue that former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s conviction for criminal contempt should stand, despite his pardon by President Donald Trump.[QUOTE]

Standing Wolf
04-21-2018, 10:03 AM
What would you call it when a court is trying reinstate the conviction of a person who was granted a presidential pardon?

Do some reading, T. A pardon does not automatically vacate a conviction. The conviction stands - Arpaio simply doesn't have to suffer any punishment for it. That's what a pardon means. The conviction doesn't have to be "reinstated" because it was never vacated. Sheesh...I don't know how to explain it in any simpler terms.

Peter1469
04-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Do some reading, T. A pardon does not automatically vacate a conviction. The conviction stands - Arpaio simply doesn't have to suffer any punishment for it. That's what a pardon means. The conviction doesn't have to be "reinstated" because it was never vacated. Sheesh...I don't know how to explain it in any simpler terms.

What is the purpose of the court proceedings?

Tahuyaman
04-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Just for the fun of it, one time try not to be a blind partisan.

Tahuyaman
04-21-2018, 10:09 AM

To reverse the effects of a presidential pardon.

A pardon is not the same as a commutation or clemency. A pardon wipes out the conviction. Period. Attempting to reinstate the conviction is indeed attempting to overturn a presidential pardon.

Has this ever happened in the past?

Standing Wolf
04-21-2018, 10:21 AM

The lower courts have refused to vacate the conviction and Arpaio's lawyers are trying to make that happen. Anyone even casually acquainted with the details and circumstances of the conviction is aware - unless they are intent on being blindly partisan in the matter - that vacating the conviction would be inappropriate.

Peter1469
04-21-2018, 10:21 AM
To reverse the effects of a presidential pardon.

A pardon is not the same as a commutation or clemency. A pardon wipes out the conviction. Period. Attempting to reinstate the conviction is indeed attempting to overturn a presidential pardon.

Has this ever happened in the past?
I don't think so.

I see a court dismissal coming up.

The court should also issue sanctions against the idiots that filled this lawsuit.

As an aside, courts have rules to sanction people for filling stupid lawsuits. They just don't use them enough.

Tahuyaman
04-21-2018, 10:29 AM
The lower courts have refused to vacate the conviction and Arpaio's lawyers are trying to make that happen. Anyone even casually acquainted with the details and circumstances of the conviction is aware - unless they are intent on being blindly partisan in the matter - that vacating the conviction would be inappropriate.

A pardon vacates a conviction. That is a fact, not an opinion.

MMC
04-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Well SCOTUS need to start reigning in these Leftist Activist Judges. Look at all the Nation Wide Injunctions they have played on. Before Obama the Country had only 22 going back to the beginning. With Trump they have issued 22 already and still have 2 more years to go before the end of his term.

Tahuyaman
04-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Well SCOTUS need to start reigning in these Leftist Activist Judges. Look at all the Nation Wide Injunctions they have played on. Before Obama the Country had only 22 going back to the beginning. With Trump they have issued 22 already and still have 2 more years to go before the end of his term.

TDD has no limits. It's an infection which only gets worse if it goes untreated. Chances are two or three justices on the Supreme Court are infected.