PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with school systems and not getting a JOB because of it

Archer0915
04-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Imagine, if you will, you are talking to a person (from engineering) about a job. The phone rings! Your cell phone! The phone you must keep on because you have children and you are an emergency contact! It is your responsibility... It is a call to let you know you child (a child that happens to have autism) is acting up and you may need to come get them... Needless to say I doubt I will here back from them.

I am considering acting like a single parent. Sorry I have to work or I am busy... Tax dollars pay you to educate and I am told he must go. So I can not help, sorry I need this job unless you are going to pay my bills. Only call me in an emergency.

By the way, this was not the teacher and I understand their issues but he may need one on one at times. Other kids get one on one but they do not consider it necessary for him. It is the school system not those having to deal with it at the school level.

Captdon
04-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Get a backup person.

Abby08
04-24-2018, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure what you're saying. You lost a job, because the school called and said your child needed your attention?

Isn't that what parents do? No offense, but, the school employees aren't the parents.

Crepitus
04-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Imagine, if you will, you are talking to a person (from engineering) about a job. The phone rings! Your cell phone! The phone you must keep on because you have children and you are an emergency contact! It is your responsibility... It is a call to let you know you child (a child that happens to have autism) is acting up and you may need to come get them... Needless to say I doubt I will here back from them.

I am considering acting like a single parent. Sorry I have to work or I am busy... Tax dollars pay you to educate and I am told he must go. So I can not help, sorry I need this job unless you are going to pay my bills. Only call me in an emergency.

By the way, this was not the teacher and I understand their issues but he may need one on one at times. Other kids get one on one but they do not consider it necessary for him. It is the school system not those having to deal with it at the school level.

The school is neither the child's parent nor your babysitter. Suck it up and deal. I do.

BTW, I am a single parent with a child who has much bigger issues than autism.

jimmyz
04-24-2018, 07:40 PM

Let your cell go to voicemail. Continue your new job call. Listen to your cell phone message and call school back. Any medical emergency would be handled by EMTs. All other issues can be handle as needed. Did I have to tell you that? Never mind. Go back to blasting that YETI and post the pics. TYIA.

Tahuyaman
04-24-2018, 08:10 PM
Let you cell go to voicemail. Continue your new job call. Listen to your cell phone message and call school back. Any medical emergency would be handled by EMTs. All other issues can be handle as needed. Did I have to tell you that? Never mind. Go back to blasting that YETI and post the pics. TYIA.

uh..... Ok.....

Archer0915
04-24-2018, 08:12 PM
To people that say the school is not the parent or Baby Sitter, you are correct and... Fuck you! I expect them to do their fucking best to keep him there. I get busted if I do not send him so the least they could do is fucking find a way not to irritate the piss out of me. You have kids with constant one on one that will never be able to do anything but the state requires then to be there so it is provided. Can not learn, nothing, many can not talk and never will. My son can be taught and does have a chance but because of some factors he can not get what he needs. Still, if he were a minority or if I were a single parent or so many other factors including not speaking English they would be all into helping.

Tahuyaman
04-24-2018, 08:12 PM
The school is neither the child's parent nor your babysitter...

Seeing as they are failing in their designed purpose they would be a huge failure there too.

Archer0915
04-24-2018, 08:13 PM
Let you cell go to voicemail. Continue your new job call. Listen to your cell phone message and call school back. Any medical emergency would be handled by EMTs. All other issues can be handle as needed. Did I have to tell you that? Never mind. Go back to blasting that YETI and post the pics. TYIA.
I was standing there and my phone rang... I walked in to simply drop off a resume and one thing led to another.

Archer0915
04-24-2018, 08:15 PM
The school is neither the child's parent nor your babysitter. Suck it up and deal. I do.

BTW, I am a single parent with a child who has much bigger issues than autism.
Does the school do its damn job? And you realize autism is a spectrum? From Hyper genius to non communicative.

Tahuyaman
04-24-2018, 08:15 PM
To people that say the school is not the parent or Baby Sitter, you are correct and... $#@! you! I expect them to do their $#@!ing best to keep him there. I get busted if I do not send him so the least they could do is $#@!ing find a way not to irritate the piss out of me. You have kids with constant one on one that will never be able to do anything but the state requires then to be there so it is provided. Can not learn, nothing, many can not talk and never will. My son can be taught and does have a chance but because of some factors he can not get what he needs. Still, if he were a minority or if I were a single parent or so many other factors including not speaking English they would be all into helping.

It seems as though many of the people who say schools aren't a parent or baby sitter expect the school to feed their child and instill basic government approved values upon them. Aren't those the responsibility of parents too?

jimmyz
04-24-2018, 08:22 PM
uh..... Ok.....

Why you bein such a punk ass biotch yo. Get in the corner and don't come out until I tell you to.

jimmyz
04-24-2018, 08:24 PM
I was standing there and my phone rang... I walked in to simply drop off a resume and one thing led to another.

Yeah, I got kids too. I wonder if you could have chilled your kid out over the phone after your business was concluded? Do they even allow that though?

Archer0915
04-24-2018, 08:28 PM
It seems as though many of the people who say schools aren't a parent or baby sitter expect the school to feed their child and instill basic government approved values upon them. Aren't those the responsibility of parents too?
Hell I just want them to kick him out! They will not. You see if he misses a certain amount of time they, buy law, have to set up something else of pay for private schooling with the tax dollars they are allocated for him. And that is a bit of money.

Archer0915
04-24-2018, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I got kids too. I wonder if you could have chilled your kid out over the phone after your business was concluded? Do they even allow that though?
Yeah I have had to do that but the issue is he will act up just to be sent home. He does not want to be there.

Crepitus
04-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Does the school do its damn job? And you realize autism is a spectrum? From Hyper genius to non communicative.

Yes, I do.

And yes, they do.

However when the behaviors reach a certain point it's my job to deal with it. The special education department is full of wonderful caring people but when you get right down to it Owen is my responsibility.

jimmyz
04-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Yeah I have had to do that but the issue is he will act up just to be sent home. He does not want to be there.

Well at least he has a Dad that is an expert fabricator that can teach him a trade. Some kids just aren't built for traditional school.

Crepitus
04-24-2018, 08:40 PM
To people that say the school is not the parent or Baby Sitter, you are correct and... Fuck you! I expect them to do their fucking best to keep him there. I get busted if I do not send him so the least they could do is fucking find a way not to irritate the piss out of me. You have kids with constant one on one that will never be able to do anything but the state requires then to be there so it is provided. Can not learn, nothing, many can not talk and never will. My son can be taught and does have a chance but because of some factors he can not get what he needs. Still, if he were a minority or if I were a single parent or so many other factors including not speaking English they would be all into helping.

Do you seriously believe that? He would get better treatment if he were a minority or if you were a single parent?

Ethereal
04-24-2018, 08:45 PM
...but when you get right down to it Owen is my responsibility.

And yet you expect society to help you raise him.

jimmyz
04-24-2018, 08:49 PM

Yep, all liberal progs expect things handed to them.

Abby08
04-24-2018, 10:02 PM
To people that say the school is not the parent or Baby Sitter, you are correct and... $#@! you! I expect them to do their $#@!ing best to keep him there. I get busted if I do not send him so the least they could do is $#@!ing find a way not to irritate the piss out of me. You have kids with constant one on one that will never be able to do anything but the state requires then to be there so it is provided. Can not learn, nothing, many can not talk and never will. My son can be taught and does have a chance but because of some factors he can not get what he needs. Still, if he were a minority or if I were a single parent or so many other factors including not speaking English they would be all into helping.

Aaahh.....now I understand your problem...

Dr. Who
04-24-2018, 10:36 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand the perspective. Schools are left-wing bastions of progressive nonsense unless they are not absolutely relieving parents of some of the burden of daily responsibility for children who have challenges, during school hours.

Of course, the non-progressive approach would be that your child is your responsibility 100% of the time and no one should have to contribute to helping your child but you. If they cannot learn in school, then it is your problem alone to deal with your child's future.

jimmyz
04-24-2018, 11:57 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand the perspective. Schools are left-wing bastions of progressive nonsense unless they are not absolutely relieving parents of some of the burden of daily responsibility for children who have challenges, during school hours.

Of course, the non-progressive approach would be that your child is your responsibility 100% of the time and no one should have to contribute to helping your child but you. If they cannot learn in school, then it is your problem alone to deal with your child's future.

In a normal school setting I agree but his son is probably in a special needs setting where personalized attention should be given to his child by a trained special ed teacher. No call should be necessary to the parent bar a medical emergency IMO. I could be totally off base and you as an educator can probably set me straight.

donttread
04-25-2018, 05:52 AM

You have to be able to shut your phone off , the child is in the care of a system that is supposed to be able to manage their needs.

Archer0915
04-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Do you seriously believe that? He would get better treatment if he were a minority or if you were a single parent?

Actually, yes.

Archer0915
04-25-2018, 07:10 AM
In a normal school setting I agree but his son is probably in a special needs setting where personalized attention should be given to his child by a trained special ed teacher. No call should be necessary to the parent bar a medical emergency IMO. I could be totally off base and you as an educator can probably set me straight.
You arew correct. Look it is not the teachers or the Admin at the school. It is the district ADMIN that is the issue. He does have an IEP and there are certain things that are required, by law. I spent a month studying the law and went in to one meeting ready, with copies of the laws. Most of my requests were met and it was a learning session with me giving out some copies.

Sadly they know that I know and that causes other issues. If he is suspended for more than 10 total days things move to the next level. Evidently they have been told not to do it.

Crepitus
04-25-2018, 08:11 AM

Where did you get that idea?

Abby08
04-25-2018, 08:14 AM
To the OP. If you didn't get the job because your phone rang and you had to go see to your son, it probably wasn't the right job for you anyway.

DGUtley
04-25-2018, 08:14 AM
I agree with Abby and Crep on this. Customers understand. If they don't you don't want them as customers. Your #1 priority is the child. That's what we signed up for.

Crepitus
04-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Actually, yes.

Why?

Abby08
04-25-2018, 08:15 AM

I was thinking the same thing, I've never seen where you have ever said anything like that.

Crepitus
04-25-2018, 08:25 AM
I was thinking the same thing, I've never seen where you have ever said anything like that.

Thank you.

Archer0915
04-25-2018, 08:30 AM

I know the teachers, one personally (her husband and I were friends and I am friends with her older brother and she hung out with us some when she was younger), and they are loving people that take their jobs seriously. None of the leftist crap. The school admin and I are on the same page as well, we get along great. The issue is the school district and funds allocation. They are allocated funds per child and then they get more funding because a student with an IEP is allotted extra funding.

I actually had a meeting where the county district admin was there and I bluntly asked where all the funds were going, got a little quiet because bureaucracy does not know. I told them I knew it was not going to these students and probably was allotted to illegals that they are forced to deal with. I may have burned some bridges with the district admin but the school admin and the teachers seem to like it because it was meant to put money in their pockets, and I do discuss things I am going to bring up with the principals and teachers before I take it to the district.

Archer0915
04-25-2018, 09:13 AM
Yes, I do.

And yes, they do.

However when the behaviors reach a certain point it's my job to deal with it. The special education department is full of wonderful caring people but when you get right down to it Owen is my responsibility.
I agree, but here is the issue. We have tried private school and it did not work! We do not have the home properly set up to home school him and one more thing... I am not paying taxes for every damn body else to get FAPE and not my child. We have schools in our district that get free lunches for all, income be damned, but other school you must pay. The difference? inner city vs rural.

I do not blame them but... doctors, lawyers, millionaires getting free lunches for their kids while people in rural areas pay for it. So, ~360 bucks a year extra. Don't get me wrong I agree with the free lunch program for the ones who cannot afford it but people like my family pay, again no problem.

Crepitus
04-25-2018, 10:11 AM
I agree, but here is the issue. We have tried private school and it did not work! We do not have the home properly set up to home school him and one more thing... I am not paying taxes for every damn body else to get FAPE and not my child. We have schools in our district that get free lunches for all, income be damned, but other school you must pay. The difference? inner city vs rural.

I do not blame them but... doctors, lawyers, millionaires getting free lunches for their kids while people in rural areas pay for it. So, ~360 bucks a year extra. Don't get me wrong I agree with the free lunch program for the ones who cannot afford it but people like my family pay, again no problem.

So now we are deflecting on to free lunch programs? Here you have to be on food stamps to qualify I think.

roadmaster
04-25-2018, 10:42 AM
Illegals do take a lot of the resources away from children here especially in NC. We rank in the lowest helping autistic children too in public schools. The public school near me tends to do better than most. Small classes, one on one while others even in this county not so much. I have watched two graduate the last one got a standing ovation from all students in the High School. The young man is smart but can't complete a sentence. He is great with computers. The first one that graduated was not as severe.
I understand what you are saying. A nurse friend is going through the same problems. They don't qualify for help the young man needs. Last I heard she was looking into Christian schools to see if they could help in her area. They both work and her husband works a side job just to help him.

Captdon
04-25-2018, 01:17 PM
It's your child. Re-make your life to help him. It is always do what it takes. He's your child.

Archer0915
04-25-2018, 03:13 PM
So now we are deflecting on to free lunch programs? Here you have to be on food stamps to qualify I think.
Not deflecting, I am stating that funds allocation at the district level seems a little fishy.

Archer0915
04-25-2018, 03:15 PM
It's your child. Re-make your life to help him. It is always do what it takes. He's your child.

I have and do every day. This is why I have my own business but I was looking for something night shift to bring in a little extra.

Peter1469
04-25-2018, 05:04 PM
I have and do every day. This is why I have my own business but I was looking for something night shift to bring in a little extra.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Illegals are certainly a good part of the problem.

Dr. Who
04-25-2018, 05:38 PM
I know the teachers, one personally (her husband and I were friends and I am friends with her older brother and she hung out with us some when she was younger), and they are loving people that take their jobs seriously. None of the leftist crap. The school admin and I are on the same page as well, we get along great. The issue is the school district and funds allocation. They are allocated funds per child and then they get more funding because a student with an IEP is allotted extra funding.

I actually had a meeting where the county district admin was there and I bluntly asked where all the funds were going, got a little quiet because bureaucracy does not know. I told them I knew it was not going to these students and probably was allotted to illegals that they are forced to deal with. I may have burned some bridges with the district admin but the school admin and the teachers seem to like it because it was meant to put money in their pockets, and I do discuss things I am going to bring up with the principals and teachers before I take it to the district.
I sympathize with your problem, but the special ed teacher may not have the resources to deal with a child that periodically has excessive behavior issues (not the fault of the child who may just be having a bad day) because they are dealing with more than one child and if they have to spend their entire time with one child, other children are being ignored.

I assume that those children who do receive one on one help receive it because that resource was allocated to them before the school year began. Perhaps the school needs a floater person who can step in when needed, but it doesn't sound like they have such a resource and regular teachers don't have the specialized training. If the child is being particularly vocal or displaying serious agitation, it could well cause other autistic or otherwise challenged children in the class to react badly as well. I can see why they would call to have the child taken home as they would with any child who is ill or acting out for some reason.

Ethereal
04-25-2018, 05:45 PM

Taxpayer-funded education and healthcare is a central component of your belief system. In other words, you expect complete strangers to help finance your kid's education and healthcare, even if they don't want to.

Common
04-25-2018, 05:51 PM
Many districts have special needs set up for troubled or handicapped children. I assume I dont know that it might be only the big districts that have special needs within the district.

It does seem that all school districts big and small should either have special needs situation set up or have made arrangements to transport the kids to a district that does on a daily basis. Thats what they do in NY and NJ.

Lets remember something, parents pay taxs for education, the tax doesnt change or be determined by a health child or a special needs child or a child with behavior issues. If they are going to take our tax money they need to assure ALL kids are provided an education

Abby08
04-25-2018, 05:51 PM
Taxpayer-funded education and healthcare is a central component of your belief system. In other words, you expect complete strangers to help finance your kid's education and healthcare, even if they don't want to.

Isn't that what everyone does, whether they want to or not?

Everyone who pays taxes, pays for things they have no control over, including education for other people's children... even if, you have no school age children.

Archer0915
04-25-2018, 05:53 PM
I sympathize with your problem, but the special ed teacher may not have the resources to deal with a child that periodically has excessive behavior issues (not the fault of the child who may just be having a bad day) because they are dealing with more than one child and if they have to spend their entire time with one child, other children are being ignored.

I assume that those children who do receive one on one help receive it because that resource was allocated to them before the school year began. Perhaps the school needs a floater person who can step in when needed, but it doesn't sound like they have such a resource and regular teachers don't have the specialized training. If the child is being particularly vocal or displaying serious agitation, it could well cause other autistic or otherwise challenged children in the class to react badly as well. I can see why they would call to have the child taken home as they would with any child who is ill or acting out for some reason.

They do not because funds are mis-allocated.

Crepitus
04-25-2018, 07:26 PM

Dude, we get it. Anything to do with government is bad. Ok,? Just give it a rest. We are tired of hearing this crap.

donttread
04-25-2018, 07:58 PM

That's what aides are for.

gamewell45
04-25-2018, 08:05 PM

I solved that problem early on; both my wife and I decided that she'd stay home; it was quite a sacrifice and we did without a lot of things but for us it was worth it. No childcare and if there was a problem they'd call home and my wife would deal with whatever the issue was.

Dr. Who
04-25-2018, 08:52 PM
That's what aides are for.
You have to have specialized courses/training to deal with children who have issues like autism. They don't process information the same way that the average kid does. You wouldn't find an aide with that kind of training, since having teaching certification is generally a pre-requisite unless you are in a master's program for advanced educational psychology or have a bachelor's degree in special ed. It varies by state.

Archer0915
04-26-2018, 06:07 AM
I solved that problem early on; both my wife and I decided that she'd stay home; it was quite a sacrifice and we did without a lot of things but for us it was worth it. No childcare and if there was a problem they'd call home and my wife would deal with whatever the issue was.
That is what we do. I am the one that can take care of business from home but I just want a little extra to pay some things off.

donttread
04-26-2018, 08:59 AM
You have to have specialized courses/training to deal with children who have issues like autism. They don't process information the same way that the average kid does. You wouldn't find an aide with that kind of training, since having teaching certification is generally a pre-requisite unless you are in a master's program for advanced educational psychology or have a bachelor's degree in special ed. It varies by state.

Apparently you haven't seen mainstream schools lately. The aide doesn't have to teach or diagnose or evaluate consequences , just keep them safe and from harming another student. six week course

Captdon
04-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Tax-payer education is as old as the country is. It was the belief of the vast majority of the people from day one.

A school should meet the needs as best they can. They don't have to go beyond what's reasonable for special needs but they can do whatever they have the abilities to do.

I pay for schools long after my kids were through. It's the only way it works. You're too stifled for this stuff.

Archer0915
04-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Tax-payer education is as old as the country is. It was the belief of the vast majority of the people from day one.

A school should meet the needs as best they can. They don't have to go beyond what's reasonable for special needs but they can do whatever they have the abilities to do.

I pay for schools long after my kids were through. It's the only way it works. You're too stifled for this stuff.
The issue is they are doing what they can at the school level but they are not doing everything that is required by law because the school district is flooded with illegals and it is top heavy.

Abby08
04-27-2018, 08:06 AM
The issue is they are doing what they can at the school level but they are not doing everything that is required by law because the school district is flooded with illegals and it is top heavy.

Thanks for admitting that illegals ARE a problem...up until now, it sure sounded like you were for open borders and, allowing anyone who wanted to walk across, free room and board in our country.

donttread
04-27-2018, 08:35 AM

One way to look at this is what would the school do if they couldn't reach you? ( cell phone deads pot, battery dead , etc) All those educators could probably handle the situation for a few hours. Put less pressure on yourself. The school takes responsibility for your child during school hours. If you have a child with special needs it's nice to be availablle but only a few decades ago that wouldn't have even been possible unless you sat on top of your land line . Your child needs you but they need to eat to.
Stop putting quite so much pressure on yourself

Archer0915
04-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Thanks for admitting that illegals ARE a problem...up until now, it sure sounded like you were for open borders and, allowing anyone who wanted to walk across, free room and board in our country.
Abby08 you have me confused with someone else. I believe the best wall is a wall of LEAD.

Abby08
04-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Abby08 you have me confused with someone else. I believe the best wall is a wall of LEAD.

Archer0915 I'm sorry! You're right, I did confuse you with someone else!

Archer0915
04-27-2018, 12:33 PM
@Archer0915 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=323) I'm sorry! You're right, I did confuse you with someone else!

I know I am beautiful but I aint Hollywood:) I know it is an easy mistake to make...

Great, now look! You made me laugh so hard I peed a little! I now need to change.

Tahuyaman
04-28-2018, 04:49 PM

One would think this situation could have easily been solved by calmly explainung the situation to the person you were interviewing with.

Generally when one is in a meeting or interview, you turn your phone off. If you are unable to do that because of the potential of an emergency, you should inform the person you are meeting with prior to starting the interview.