PDA

View Full Version : Video shows black Airbnb guests, police joking about call

roadmaster
05-09-2018, 03:38 AM
LOS ANGELES (AP) — New video released by police Tuesday shows officers joking with three black people considering suing over what they say was an excessive response to a racially motivated 911 call in Southern California.
The body camera footage released by the Rialto Police Department shows a laid-back and at times light-hearted interaction between officers and the group they had pulled over, which included the granddaughter of reggae legend Bob Marley.
The footage shows they later disagree whether the 911 call, made by an older white woman, was racially motivated, but the interaction never becomes heated.

The group had been checking out of their Airbnb rental with luggage when a neighbor called police April 30 reporting a possible burglary.
Filmmaker Kells Fyffe-Marshall posted a short video (https://www.facebook.com/directedbykells/videos/10160498802620121/) on Facebook showing a portion of the interaction with police and wrote that they were “surrounded” by seven police cars and told to put their hands in the air.

The police video captures the neighbor’s reasoning for calling 911.
“They had luggage in their hands and they weren’t really looking at me,” said the woman, who wasn’t identified. “They didn’t behave like neighbors and I know the couple that owns the house and I didn’t recognize them ... I wasn’t being nosy. I was just being observant.”

https://apnews.com/a7e29d0ae82548b683cb48e77bdd851b/Video-shows-black-Airbnb-guests,-police-joking-about-call?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APWestRegion&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Common
05-09-2018, 05:19 AM
Unfortunately this happens all the time and in the end the Police get the complaints.

There is also too many situations where the race card is used to try and sue and make money off the city or manipulate the charges.

Cannons Front
05-09-2018, 05:49 AM
What are they planning to sue for? The one even says “The police in Cali, they’re not Toronto police and I respect that,” she says. “If you were Toronto police we’d all be on the floor, hands up and we wouldn’t even have the chance to be like, ’Guys, it’s an Airbnb.”

Safety
05-09-2018, 06:28 AM
Evidently the black folks have seen too many videos of cops shooting unarmed black people and played it right to make the mood light, otherwise the officers may have felt threatened and started shooting.

donttread
05-09-2018, 07:09 AM
LOS ANGELES (AP) — New video released by police Tuesday shows officers joking with three black people considering suing over what they say was an excessive response to a racially motivated 911 call in Southern California.
The body camera footage released by the Rialto Police Department shows a laid-back and at times light-hearted interaction between officers and the group they had pulled over, which included the granddaughter of reggae legend Bob Marley.
The footage shows they later disagree whether the 911 call, made by an older white woman, was racially motivated, but the interaction never becomes heated.

The group had been checking out of their Airbnb rental with luggage when a neighbor called police April 30 reporting a possible burglary.
Filmmaker Kells Fyffe-Marshall posted a short video (https://www.facebook.com/directedbykells/videos/10160498802620121/) on Facebook showing a portion of the interaction with police and wrote that they were “surrounded” by seven police cars and told to put their hands in the air.

The police video captures the neighbor’s reasoning for calling 911.
“They had luggage in their hands and they weren’t really looking at me,” said the woman, who wasn’t identified. “They didn’t behave like neighbors and I know the couple that owns the house and I didn’t recognize them ... I wasn’t being nosy. I was just being observant.”

https://apnews.com/a7e29d0ae82548b683cb48e77bdd851b/Video-shows-black-Airbnb-guests,-police-joking-about-call?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APWestRegion&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Not nosy eh? What did she think they were , the "luggage bandits"? LOL

Captdon
05-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Evidently the black folks have seen too many videos of cops shooting unarmed black people and played it right to make the mood light, otherwise the officers may have felt threatened and started shooting.

Yea, that's what it was. The cops are pissed they couldn't shoot them down.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Yep, that’s it.

Cletus
05-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Another case of someone calling the police without reasonable cause.

This woman is as stupid as the one in Colorado. Of course, some here will praise her and insist she did the right thing.

Cannons Front
05-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Nope not at all, they were just glad it was not Canada, I guess the Police there are just off the hook......

Cannons Front
05-09-2018, 11:31 AM
This woman is as stupid as the one in Colorado. Of course, some here will praise her and insist she did the right thing.

Did you read the story? I hope my neighbors act the same way. The house in question had never rented before, unknown people (regardless of color) are carrying out stuff and putting in car. She said hi and waved, they ignored her. I would call the Police as well.

Cletus
05-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Based on what?

Were they trying to conceal their actions?

Was there anything to indicate they forced their way into the house?

Were they taking anything other than luggage?

WHY would you have called the police? What was there to indicate a crime in progress, other than the home owner not seeing fit to brief the caller on her private business.

Cannons Front
05-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Based on what?
Were they trying to conceal their actions?
Was there anything to indicate they forced their way into the house?
Were they taking anything other than luggage? WHY would you have called the police? What was there to indicate a crime in progress, other than the home owner not seeing fit to brief the caller on her private business.

Look you do what you want, but if I see strangers walking out of my neighbors house carrying things (luggage can hold an awful lot of stuff) and putting them in the car and I try to say something to them and they ignore me, I would call the Police, and I hope my neighbors would do the same.
Now I would say to the dispatcher that I do not know what is going on but it looks odd to me, I would not say it was a crime for sure.

Here is a scenario for you; You are driving down a road, as the minivan ahead of you turns a corner, the sliding door opens 2 people fall out the car does not slow or stop but instead speeds away. The people are moving and appear unhurt but are yelling at the car, what do you do.

Standing Wolf
05-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Of course. My God, man, what would the neighbors have said if they came home and all their luggage had been stolen and no one had called the police?! :rollseyes:

Cletus
05-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Here is a scenario for you; You are driving down a road, as the minivan ahead of you turns a corner, the sliding door opens 2 people fall out the car does not slow or stop but instead speeds away. The people are moving and appear unhurt but are yelling at the car, what do you do.

I am not sure what that has to do with people packing their vehicle after leaving a rented house, but I guess I can play.

I would probably stop at the people who fell out of the car and see if aid is required. At that time, a determination can be made regarding whether the police should be involved.

Would I automatically assume something nefarious was going on?

No.

Would I automatically dismiss it as just hijinks?

No.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 12:22 PM

So what would be the grounds for a law suit in this case? The police acted in a polite, appropriate and reasonable manner?

Cletus
05-09-2018, 12:23 PM
So what would be the grounds for a law suit in this case? The police acted in a polite, appropriate and reasonable manner?

I don't think there is one.

That just seems to be some kind of default action these days.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 12:30 PM
I don't think there is one.

That just seems to be some kind of default action these days.

Maybe these people can sue because the conduct of the police in this case deprived them of a big payday they are entitled to receive? Had the police treated them like all other black people they come in contact with, they would have a credible police brutality case? They receive unequal treatment.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 12:35 PM
...Here is a scenario for you; You are driving down a road, as the minivan ahead of you turns a corner, the sliding door opens 2 people fall out the car does not slow or stop but instead speeds away. The people are moving and appear unhurt but are yelling at the car, what do you do.

...Would I automatically assume something nefarious was going on?

No...

I think the vast majority would think that there is foul play there. I'm quite sure I'm pretty safe with that claim.

Cletus
05-09-2018, 12:43 PM
I think the vast majority would think that there is foul play there. I'm quite sure I'm pretty safe with that claim.

Maybe there was.

Maybe there wasn't.

The easiest way to be sure is to just ask.

Abby08
05-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Of course. My God, man, what would the neighbors have said if they came home and all their luggage had been stolen and no one had called the police?! :rollseyes:

That, would be called, a burglary....

Cletus
05-09-2018, 12:51 PM
That, would be called, a burglary....

Okay, but this incident wasn't.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Maybe there was.

Maybe there wasn't.

The easiest way to be sure is to just ask.

C'mon. Just admit that the vast majority would suspect foul play if they witnessed the scenario Cannons Front described. It's not going to damage your credibility by doing that.

Cletus
05-09-2018, 01:24 PM
C'mon. Just admit that the vast majority would suspect foul play if they witnessed the scenario Cannons Front described. It's not going to damage your credibility by doing that.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it was.

In the scenario he presented, there was a real easy way to find out... ask the people involved.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Sure, but that doesn't mean it was.

In the scenario he presented, there was a real easy way to find out... ask the people involved.

What would you expect a police officer to do if he witnessed that event taking place? Not persue the vehicle?

Cletus
05-09-2018, 01:46 PM
What would you expect a police officer to do if he witnessed that event taking place? Not persue the vehicle?

I am sure there was some traffic violation there that would justify a vehicle stop.

A private citizen though, is not a cop.

jimmyz
05-09-2018, 01:50 PM
I like reasonable interactions between police and innocent citizens. It happens all the time without making it into the news cycle.

Cletus
05-09-2018, 01:51 PM
REASONABLE being the operative word there.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 01:59 PM
I am sure there was some traffic violation there that would justify a vehicle stop.

A private citizen though, is not a cop.

In that scenario the concerned citizen calls the cops. I did not suggest the private citizen engage in a persuit.

That would be a case where calling the police would be an appropriate and justifiable act.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 02:02 PM
I like reasonable interactions between police and innocent citizens. It happens all the time without making it into the news cycle.

It's expected by every cop out there that reasonable and calm interactions do not make the nightly news.

Generally individual police officers only make the news when they screw up.

Cletus
05-09-2018, 02:04 PM
In that scenario the concerned citizen calls the cops. I did not suggest the private citizen engage in a persuit.

That would be a case where calling the police would be an appropriate and justifiable act.

Maybe.

What would you report?

If the supposed victims are standing right there, why not ask them what was going on and whether the police should be notified?

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Maybe.

What would you report?

If the supposed victims are standing right there, why not ask them what was going on and whether the police should be notified?

I would report that I just saw a mini van turn a corner, doors and two people fell out and the van sped away down the street. Then I say where it happened and which way the van went.

I'm not sure why you are being so hard headed on this one. It seem quite simple in this case.

Abby08
05-09-2018, 02:19 PM
I think, if I ever witness people acting strangely, maybe hanging out around a neighbors house, if I'd never seen them before, I'll just go back inside my house and hope it was all legitimate.

Then, when my neighbors came home and freaked out because their house had been burglarized, I'd just tell them, " meh, I saw those guys hanging around over there, but, it was none of my business."

If everyone was to have that attitude, criminals would soon come to realize it and, become more brazen.... there'd be no reason to sneak around and, hide.

Cletus
05-09-2018, 02:22 PM
I would report that I just saw a mini van turn a corner, doors and two people fell out and the van sped away down the street. Then I say where it happened and which way the van went.

I'm not sure why you are being so hard headed on this one. It seem quite simple in this case.

And if it turns out the people in the back actually jumped from the van just for the Hell of it?

My point here is that jumping to conclusions generally makes you wrong. In this case, the suspected victims are right there. Why not ask them before flying off the handle? If they were tossed out of the van and lying in the street, unconscious and bloody, that would be different. Make the call. In this scenario, they appear unhurt, conscious and fully able to say whether the police need to be notified.

You see this sort of thing all the time, even right here on the forum. Someone sees 5 seconds of video and they assume they know everything that happened and why it happened. They don't.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 02:26 PM
And if it turns out the people in the back actually jumped from the van just for the Hell of it?...

The vast majority would not think that was likely. Why would they jump out and continue yelling at the driver? Thanking him for the lift? "HEY. PULL OVER. I'LL GIVE YOU GAS MONEY".

Cletus
05-09-2018, 02:29 PM
The vast majority would not think that was likely. Why would they jump out and continue yelling at the driver? Thanking him for the lift? "HEY. PULL OVER. I'LL GIVE YOU GAS MONEY".

What difference does it make what the vast majority think? The vast majority used to think the Earth was flat. What matters is what actually occurred.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2018, 02:33 PM
What difference does it make what the vast majority think? The vast majority used to think the Earth was flat. What matters is what actually occurred.

Uncle..... I give up.

Abby08
05-09-2018, 02:40 PM

A lot of people would change their tune pretty quickly if, their house got robbed and the guy across the street saw the perpetrators but said nothing.

Would those people thank the neighbor who said nothing, because, he/she, minded their own business?

Abby08
05-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Uncle..... I give up.

...yeah...

Cletus
05-09-2018, 02:49 PM
A lot of people would change their tune pretty quickly if, their house got robbed and the guy across the street saw the perpetrators but said nothing.

Would those people thank the neighbor who said nothing, because, he/she, minded their own business?

Abby, at no time have I said turn your back or pretend you didn't see something or just ignore what is going on.

What I have said is that don't call the cops for stupid shit. Those kids in Colorado did absolutely nothing wrong. Anyone even a little familiar with Amerinidans would not have found their conduct suspicious. The ladies at the B&B did nothing wrong. They were loading their luggage into their vehicle at the end of their stay.

In both of those incidents, the police were called for no valid reason by some stupid busybody who didn't have a clue about what was happening. It was a waste of police resources, and even worse, it was an intrusion on the people involved who ended up being questioned by the police.

You may want a nation of informants and snitches and cameras on every street corner, keeping your every movement under surveillance, but people who cherish freedom and believe in the primacy of the individual do not. We have seen this culture cultivated before and it has NEVER ended well for the citizenry.

Cannons Front
05-10-2018, 06:15 AM
I am not sure what that has to do with people packing their vehicle after leaving a rented house, but I guess I can play.
I would probably stop at the people who fell out of the car and see if aid is required. At that time, a determination can be made regarding whether the police should be involved.
Would I automatically assume something nefarious was going on?
No.
Would I automatically dismiss it as just hijinks?
No.
The point is about your responses to observations, it the case stated a car following the minivan saw what happened, called 911 and followed the fleeing minivan. Police responded to the location where the people fell/jumped out of the van as well as caught up with the van by following the directions of the car that followed it.
Turns out the van had been car jacked, the woman that was pushed out of the van was the owner, the other person that fell out (pulled out by woman) was one of the attackers who fled but was captured nearby, the van was stopped 12 miles away and the driver arrested, the 4 year old boy that was in his car seat was rescued with no injuries. All of this because the person in the car behind the van called 911 at something that looked odd to them, mother and son safe and sound because of a concerned citizen.

I have edited this with this because of the responses above, the 911 operator and police dispatcher instructed the driver to follow the vehicle if safe and possible. They were able to guide the police cars to an intercept only because the drivers was able to give them directions. Now the car could have stopped, the woman would have said my baby is in the car the car then chases the minivan after losing view of it, or the bad guy that has just fallen out of his stolen car, rather than run away instead car jacks a new car and gets away.

The bottom line is the person in the car that called 911 was commended by the Police, all for seeing something odd and calling it in.

In the case of the OP, lets look at this in another possibility as I understand your POV, Old woman sees people loading stuff in car, looks like luggage, thinks that is is odd but not nefarious, says hi and waves with no response, decided wow how rude of them what a bunch of a holes, goes inside and forgets it. The next day her neighbors return home find their house has been burglarized call the police who then asks all the neighbors if they had seen anyone or anything odd.
What harm was done by this woman calling the Police? None, everything checked out no one was arrested, the women in the group laughed and joked with the officers. It is only in the headlines because they are black and now thinking of lawsuits, and that one of the women has a famous Grandpa.