PDA

View Full Version : Should Piers Morgan be Deported?

patrickt
12-25-2012, 01:18 PM
A petition has gotten thousands of signatures. What are your thoughts? I realize it's irrelevant but I live in Mexico where it's illegal for foreigners to get involved in politics. You can be immediately deported. So, what are your thoughts on sending Mr. Morgan home?

My poll wouldn't appear. Me? I would send him home. His home is such a special places for him we should see that he gets to enjoy it again, now.

Peter1469
12-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Send him home. If foreigners want to come here, they need to want to be American, and not turn us into their home country.

Chloe
12-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Actually I think he is perfectly entitled to his opinion and shouldn't fear deportation for participating in free speech. Just because someone wasn't born here doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to free speech, right? Maybe we just need thicker skin when heated topics are discussed. If free speech is so vital to us as Americans then we should make a better effort to listen and respect it when it is spoken in my opinion, especially when we criticize other countries for punishing people for speaking their opinions. You don't had to agree with it.

Peter1469
12-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Actually I think he is perfectly entitled to his opinion and shouldn't fear deportation for participating in free speech. Just because someone wasn't born here doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to free speech, right? Maybe we just need thicker skin when heated topics are discussed. If free speech is so vital to us as Americans then we should make a better effort to listen and respect it when it is spoken in my opinion, especially when we criticize other countries for punishing people for speaking their opinions. You don't had to agree with it.

The US does not need to give citizenship to people that want to turn the US into their homeland. I say, away with him.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 04:50 PM
The US does not need to give citizenship to people that want to turn the US into their homeland. I say, away with him.

Correct, if they don't like our laws and the American ways they should be sent packing. No special courts ect.

Peter1469
12-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Bye, bye

Chloe
12-25-2012, 04:56 PM

If free speech is as important as we say it is then we shouldn't kick out people or threaten deportation when someone participates in free speech. He wasn't calling for the destruction of the country or the murder of Americans out of hatred towards us or anything like that, he was giving his opinion on gun control which he is perfectly entitled to do in a free country that promotes free speech. Agreeing with all things American out of fear of punishment through deportation should not be a prerequisite for non Americans when they speak within our borders.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 05:01 PM
If he is illegal then he already broke our laws. If not then yes I believe in free speech for all Americans.

Chloe
12-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Piers Morgan is not an illegal immigrant and is not breaking any laws. He is entitled to his opinion and his opinion shouldn't result in deportation just because a percentage of Americans don't like his opinion. That's not how we should treat people in this country if we truly believe in free speech for everybody and not just Americans, or foreigners working here that you don't agree with for that matter.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Is he trying to change our ways? Or think we should be like Mexico? If so he can go back.

Chloe
12-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Is he trying to change our ways? Or think we should be like Mexico? If so he can go back.

He's giving his opinion which he has every right to do IF we as Americans truly believe that free speech is for everybody and not just Americans alone and not just for people who agree with you. Saying he should be deported for saying something that you (not you personally) view as unamerican is more of an example of emotional nationalism than it is an acceptance of free speech for everybody in my opinion.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 05:32 PM
He's giving his opinion which he has every right to do IF we as Americans truly believe that free speech is for everybody and not just Americans alone and not just for people who agree with you. Saying he should be deported for saying something that you (not you personally) view as unamerican is more of an example of emotional nationalism than it is an acceptance of free speech for everybody in my opinion.
What did he say?

Mister D
12-25-2012, 05:40 PM
What other nations would happily tolerate a foreign journalist meddling in their politics? Where wouldn't his soapbox antics be resented? I can sympathize with Piers to some extent. Britain is irrelevant and that must be depressing for someone in his line of work but if he wishes to preach to us the least he could do is become one of us.

Mister D
12-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Anyone want to place bets on which nimrod will start babbling about the CIA etc. first? :grin:

Captain Obvious
12-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm not even sure who this guy is.

Fuckum - deport.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not even sure who this guy is.

Fuckum - deport.
I had no idea either.

patrickt
12-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Earlier this year there was a ruckus because the Brits had refused to allow an American to enter England because of his conservative politics. Sauce-Gander.

Captain Obvious
12-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Savage? Deport him also.

Adelaide
12-25-2012, 07:20 PM
He's a douchebag but entitled to free speech.

I would assume he probably has some kind of work visa or dual citizenship, maybe. I doubt that they'd let him stay in the country otherwise.

patrickt
12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Oh, I think a friend of President Obama's could stay in the U.S.

RollingWave
12-25-2012, 09:07 PM
A petition has gotten thousands of signatures. What are your thoughts? I realize it's irrelevant but I live in Mexico where it's illegal for foreigners to get involved in politics. You can be immediately deported. So, what are your thoughts on sending Mr. Morgan home?

My poll wouldn't appear. Me? I would send him home. His home is such a special places for him we should see that he gets to enjoy it again, now.

A. the USA isn't Mexico

B. Piers Morgan was hired to be a show host that always delved into politics, it would be absurd to expect him not to say anything about it.

C.It would be rather interesting if the people who support the 2nd Amendment decided to deny the first amendment to other people.

D. Given that the NRA also generally don't see problems with immigrants (even illegal once) buying guns(given that paper checks in getting guns in the US is generally super easy to avoid), that we use the "he's not a citizen" (forget that he's a permenant Resident that is entitled to all the rights except voting). argument here seems interesting.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Now I remember him, he was the one calling another person stupid. Don't like the guy he is rude but I think they showed a clip on entrainment tonight or something like that. Yea, he taking it as a joke the signatures in hopes his ratings go up.

Conley
12-26-2012, 01:18 AM

How do you feel about living somewhere that you have no say in the politics that govern you? Seems like a raw deal...

Conley
12-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Now I remember him, he was the one calling another person stupid. Don't like the guy he is rude but I think they showed a clip on entrainment tonight or something like that. Yea, he taking it as a joke the signatures in hopes his ratings go up.

I think that's the idea -- say crazy stuff and hope someone pays attention long enough to get a blip in the ratings

Carygrant
12-26-2012, 03:55 AM
As it happens , Piers is a very astute man who knows how to advance his career only in mega steps .
Being clever , as well as astute , he knew that upsetting the Hilly Billy people was safe as they are becoming more and more an endangered species and have no publicity machine themselves that works .
In this instance he spoke good sense and by pitching just before the pagan festival , he knew that important news would only be conspicuous through its absence .
He sure played you guys for the suckers you are always guaranteed to be .

patrickt
12-26-2012, 04:46 AM
How do you feel about living somewhere that you have no say in the politics that govern you? Seems like a raw deal...

Not at all. I lived for 55 years in the U.S. where I had virtually no say outside my community and when my community had a massive influx of Californians I had no say there. When I left they were arguing about banning bird feeders. In Mexico, the government tends to leave you alone. Far fewer laws and regulations and I rather like that. One they do have, though, is that foreigners don't get involved in politics and don't even get to vote here, even if you're a Democrat.

patrickt
12-26-2012, 04:47 AM
A. the USA isn't Mexico

B. Piers Morgan was hired to be a show host that always delved into politics, it would be absurd to expect him not to say anything about it.

C.It would be rather interesting if the people who support the 2nd Amendment decided to deny the first amendment to other people.

D. Given that the NRA also generally don't see problems with immigrants (even illegal once) buying guns(given that paper checks in getting guns in the US is generally super easy to avoid), that we use the "he's not a citizen" (forget that he's a permenant Resident that is entitled to all the rights except voting). argument here seems interesting.

You forgot to mention that in the U.S., liberals have no problem with foreign nationals voting.

Carygrant
12-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Ironic for the NRA guy , Pratt, to be so named :-

prat
[/URL][URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=prat#"] (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=prat#)

a self-aggrandizing, pompous fuck. Someone who is full of themselves and, almost invariably, stupid as well. With a hint of 'deluded.'
"I'm getting really tired of listening to Vince brag about his conquests. What a prat."

I guess we saw that clown coming !!

hanger4
12-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Ironic for the NRA guy , Pratt, to be so named :-

prat

a self-aggrandizing, pompous fuck. Someone who is full of themselves and, almost invariably, stupid as well. With a hint of 'deluded.'
"I'm getting really tired of listening to Vince brag about his conquests. What a prat."

I guess we saw that clown coming !!

Ya know what's even more ironic ??

You, and others, misspelling a word and then claiming it has the same meaning.

And if you don't understand the "ironic" part ??

Just ask, I'll be more than happy to give a clue to the clueless.

After all, it tis the season !!

Carygrant
12-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Ya know what's even more ironic ??

You, and others, misspelling a word and then claiming it has the same meaning And if you don't understand the "ironic" part ??
Just ask, I'll be more than happy to give a clue to the clueless.After all, it tis the season !!

Only a dim witted American could spot a deliberate spelling and imagine that an unintended error had been made . You really are insular and literal beyond any hope of salvation .
Your best option is to watch and learn . Jumping in the water before you can swim does tend to guarantee self inflicted embarrassment .
Or did you make yourself look a prat as a Christmas dare ?

Chris
12-26-2012, 09:33 AM
I think that's the idea -- say crazy stuff and hope someone pays attention long enough to get a blip in the ratings

So he's a troll.

Chris
12-26-2012, 09:38 AM
As it happens , Piers is a very astute man who knows how to advance his career only in mega steps .
Being clever , as well as astute , he knew that upsetting the Hilly Billy people was safe as they are becoming more and more an endangered species and have no publicity machine themselves that works .
In this instance he spoke good sense and by pitching just before the pagan festival , he knew that important news would only be conspicuous through its absence .
He sure played you guys for the suckers you are always guaranteed to be .

Piers sounds like you, and we know how you admire yourself for trying to be clever and piss people off.

Last I saw Piers was right after the tragic shooting. He has two psychologists on. He gave his spiel and both psychologists chewed his spiel up and spit it out. He went on as if they'd said nothing.

And that is something you admire?

hanger4
12-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Only a dim witted American could spot a deliberate spelling and imagine that an unintended error had been made . You really are insular and literal beyond any hope of salvation .
Your best option is to watch and learn . Jumping in the water before you can swim does tend to guarantee self inflicted embarrassment .
Or did you make yourself look a prat as a Christmas dare ?

Lets see little man, what have we here;

prat,

And there's

Pratt.

The only error is you and others assigning the same meaning to words that are spelled differently.

Chris
12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Pratt and prat, absolutely no connection: Pratt Family Crest and Name History (http://www.houseofnames.com/pratt-family-crest).

About as clumsy as using triumvirate for trifecta.

Carygrant
12-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Lets see little man, what have we here;

prat,

And there's

Pratt.

The only error is you and others assigning the same meaning to words that are spelled differently.

Another chris clone .
Simply no sense of real humour and a total inability to think non literally .
You are such a moron that you you still have not the slightest idea of what is going on , despite having it laid for you in easy steps .
God Help America .

keymanjim
12-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Well, as it turns out, his own country doesn't want him back:

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-government-stop-piers-morgan-from-being-deported-back-to-the-uk-from-america?utm_campaign=twitter_link&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

We got rid of him once and why should we have to suffer again. The Americans wanted him so they should put up with him. We washed our hands of him a long time ago.

Chris
12-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Another chris clone .
You are such a moron that you you still have not the slightest idea of what is going on , despite having it laid for you in easy steps .
God Help America .

IOW, you make another glaring linguistic error and so you try to make up some clever insult to try and cover it up.

:applause:

hanger4
12-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Another chris clone .
God Help America .

I'm sorry Cary, the joke seems to be on you.

Claiming irony by assigning the same meaning to words with different spellings isn't irony,

it's a lack of understanding of the English language.

BTW, I saw the humor, unfortunately for you it was you I was laughing at.

Deadwood
12-26-2012, 10:43 PM

If that had always been the case, how many of us would be here?

Every wave of immigrants has brought their culture with them, turned a part of the US into their homeland.

Legal immigrants have the same rights as citizens except they cannot vote, they are also eligible for military service.

I don't understand how this clown, who I frankly have never heard of and could care less about, has angered so many people so quickly.

And, as is always the cased with "foreigners', you can always tell them "if it's so bade here, go the fuck home."

bladimz
12-27-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm very sorry F&L... but i have to say here, in front of everyone, that i agree 100%. You've stated it very well, very clear; no explanation is needed. A fine post indeed.

ThirdTerm
12-27-2012, 01:50 AM
Piers Morgan has not been in the US for too long and he took the CNN post two years ago to replace Larry King and his passion for gun control is obviously not popular in the US but his lack of knowledge on American political culture can be condoned because he is a British journalist who had worked in the UK until 2010 and the current controversy may help him to boost his TV ratings and he may voluntarily deport himself if his show is cancelled.

Carygrant
12-27-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm sorry Cary, the joke seems to be on you.

Claiming irony by assigning the same meaning to words with different spellings isn't irony,

it's a lack of understanding of the English language.

BTW, I saw the humor, unfortunately for you it was you I was laughing at.

You are a dolt -- pure and simple .
Even the most simple of you can manage glimpses of imagination and respond to light heartedness .
Chris and Mister Dee excepted . Naturally .
Do you really want to join their circle where magic ears have constantly complained of tinnitus (to them , echoes , or the ringing of bells) and where they claim pathetically that they can hear differences between Prat and Pratt .
You are a group of kids . If only you displayed a glimpse of wit . Even ordinary humour would suffice .

Carygrant
12-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Far more important is the realisation that Piers has brought right wing American thinking to a wider world audience .
More and more people are seeing how backward so much of America remains --- the Hilly Billy lands as we know them by here . What the American pseudo Conservatives fail to realise is that so much of the world thinks of Americans as prats , however you like to spell it .

Deadwood
12-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm very sorry F&L... but i have to say here, in front of everyone, that i agree 100%. You've stated it very well, very clear; no explanation is needed. A fine post indeed.

Please don't tell any more people!

Deadwood
12-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Not at all. I lived for 55 years in the U.S. where I had virtually no say outside my community and when my community had a massive influx of Californians I had no say there. When I left they were arguing about banning bird feeders. In Mexico, the government tends to leave you alone. Far fewer laws and regulations and I rather like that. One they do have, though, is that foreigners don't get involved in politics and don't even get to vote here, even if you're a Democrat.

Having spent time in Mexico I also know that while the government tends to leave 'you' alone, they also leave the corrupt alone. A friend almost went bankrupt bribing officials to get a permit to operate sea-do's on beaches for tourists.

The cops carry AR-14's and are also corrupt.

I will put up with silly by-laws [bird feeders though?] to not have either the government in my shirt pocket nor corruption....

patrickt
12-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Having spent time in Mexico I also know that while the government tends to leave 'you' alone, they also leave the corrupt alone. A friend almost went bankrupt bribing officials to get a permit to operate sea-do's on beaches for tourists.

The cops carry AR-14's and are also corrupt.

I will put up with silly by-laws [bird feeders though?] to not have either the government in my shirt pocket nor corruption....

It's so refreshing to hear from an expert on Mexico. I've known people who spent money on bribes but they were all doing something illegal. In fifteen years, I've never paid a bribe and other than a couple of traffic officers I've never felt anyone wanted a bribe. But, that's just me. And, most of the cops in Oaxaca carry no guns. Go figure. Some carry pistols. The state police often have machine guns. But, again, I'm not the expert. I just live here. I am also aware that Mexico is all the same from one place to another. Just like Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Chicago, Illinois, and Eugene, Oregon, and New Orleans, Louisiana, are all the same. No differences from one to another. I'll readily admit I've been rejected by the U.S. Homeowners associations, laws to exclude working class people and immigrants. Incredibly intrusive laws and more coming every day. And then, the regulations. SWAT teams raiding dairy farms. My god, it is becoming a socialist workers paradise without the work.

Deadwood
12-27-2012, 03:35 PM
It's so refreshing to hear from an expert on Mexico. I've known people who spent money on bribes but they were all doing something illegal. In fifteen years, I've never paid a bribe and other than a couple of traffic officers I've never felt anyone wanted a bribe. But, that's just me. And, most of the cops in Oaxaca carry no guns. Go figure. Some carry pistols. The state police often have machine guns. But, again, I'm not the expert. I just live here. I am also aware that Mexico is all the same from one place to another. Just like Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Chicago, Illinois, and Eugene, Oregon, and New Orleans, Louisiana, are all the same. No differences from one to another. I'll readily admit I've been rejected by the U.S. Homeowners associations, laws to exclude working class people and immigrants. Incredibly intrusive laws and more coming every day. And then, the regulations. SWAT teams raiding dairy farms. My god, it is becoming a socialist workers paradise without the work.

Cheap shot......

Where do you see a claim that anyone is an "expert" on Mexico?

My post was not worthy of that. I shared my knowledge and experience. Period.

It seems YOU are the one with resentment issues.....see bold

Carygrant
12-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Cheap shot......

Your post could be repeated from almost anywhere . You shared nothing .
Did you want us to love you ?At least Piers is interesting .

Peter1469
12-27-2012, 06:08 PM

Except it isn't true. Most historical waves of immigrants wanted to become Americans, especially after the 1st generation. Many families insisted that English be spoken at home, rather than their native language.

patrickt
12-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Cheap shot......

You state as a fact that the police carry AR-14s. That is simply not a fact. You didn't state it as your observation or your opinion. No, "the police carry AR-14s and are corrupt." All police, according to your statement, are corrupt. Again, that was a statement of absolute fact. I am sorry to don't think my objecting to the nonsense was a cheap shot but I'll survive. I do tend to get irked by people who cherish their corrupt police officers, corrupt politicians, and a society constipated by rules and regulations and look down their nose at Mexico. It's even more irritating when they feel compelled, not to cite their experience or observation but facts that are simply not true.

Alif Qadr
12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Piers Morgan has not been in the US for too long and he took the CNN post two years ago to replace Larry King and his passion for gun control is obviously not popular in the US but his lack of knowledge on American political culture can be condoned because he is a British journalist who had worked in the UK until 2010 and the current controversy may help him to boost his TV ratings and he may voluntarily deport himself if his show is cancelled.

Let him go. As I have stated in the politicsforum.com, I do not own a gun and my belief system shuns carrying guns and weapons of any type or kind but that does not make me anti-gun. I live in the United States and beyond the Second Amendment, the protection of a person's life, the lives of his or her family members and the larger family (societal members) takes precedence my and other people's personal views on guns and weapons.
I was raised on a family farm and guns were common place. Besides this, I learned how to use rifles, shotguns and pistols starting at an early age so I am not one of these people who views guns and other weapons as toys. Not in the least, but I have digressed from the topic.
The topic is guns and personal protection. Being that the United States is filled with criminals, madmen and other types of people who seek to do harm to others, I will always stand by a person's right to own a firearm. Not because it is in the Constitution for the United States under the Second Amendment but because it is a birthright/natural right. We are all born with the God-given right of self-preservation, from the lowest level to the highest level of this birthright.

Deadwood
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
You state as a fact that the police carry AR-14s. That is simply not a fact. You didn't state it as your observation or your opinion. No, "the police carry AR-14s and are corrupt." All police, according to your statement, are corrupt. Again, that was a statement of absolute fact. I am sorry to don't think my objecting to the nonsense was a cheap shot but I'll survive. I do tend to get irked by people who cherish their corrupt police officers, corrupt politicians, and a society constipated by rules and regulations and look down their nose at Mexico. It's even more irritating when they feel compelled, not to cite their experience or observation but facts that are simply not true.

Fair enough. I suppose that for your sensitivities I should have said "it has been my experience"; which it has. I have pictures of barely out their teens "police" carrying AR-15's. It was through them that a fellow tourist I had met arranged to buy some pot.

Some of my experience.

In the final analysis I was merely suggesting that Mexico is no Utopia, some things are better, some worse, it's a choice as to what you can tolerate.

Here there is less violence, less crime per capita, less racism less guns but more taxes and state intervention in the lives of individuals.

bladimz
12-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Except it isn't true. Most historical waves of immigrants wanted to become Americans, especially after the 1st generation. Many families insisted that English be spoken at home, rather than their native language.That they wanted to become americans doesn't suggest that they simply walked away from their cultural roots. Speaking english at home in the US was only logical for a family who believed that their success in America absolutely depended on a fluency in English. That doesn't mean that Italian immigrants just stopped growing grapes and making their own wine.

Peter1469
12-28-2012, 06:59 PM
That they wanted to become americans doesn't suggest that they simply walked away from their cultural roots. Speaking english at home in the US was only logical for a family who believed that their success in America absolutely depended on a fluency in English. That doesn't mean that Italian immigrants just stopped growing grapes and making their own wine.

Oh sure. But those Italians wanted to be Americans. They were not aiming to turn America into Italy.

Captain Obvious
12-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Oh sure. But those Italians wanted to be Americans. They were not aiming to turn America into Italy.

I would be stunned to find out that you've never visited any one of the many "little Italy" sections of most big cities. Boston has a prominent one, it's still very Italian even today but I'm really talking moreso a few decades ago.

Peter1469
12-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I would be stunned to find out that you've never visited any one of the many "little Italy" sections of most big cities. Boston has a prominent one, it's still very Italian even today but I'm really talking moreso a few decades ago.

I have, and they are some of my favorite parts of America cities.

But they aren't trying to turn America into Italy.

Carygrant
12-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Gun ownership is down to around 20% of US households . They are just storing more of them , just as an obsession gets stored .
It is now a minority that are actively involved in this issue .
How soon before the mass stand up to the old white men and slap them into place -- old people's homes?

Peter1469
12-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Gun ownership is down to around 20% of US households . They are just storing more of them , just as an obsession gets stored .
It is now a minority that are actively involved in this issue .
How soon before the mass stand up to the old white men and slap them into place -- old people's homes?

The US is not a democracy.

Where is your link on the 20% figure?

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

Carygrant
12-29-2012, 09:25 AM
The US is not a democracy.

Where is your link on the 20% figure?

Honestly cannot remember --- I get so much over my desk and on my screen everyday . But it will flash back later and I will pass it on happily . I recall that the figure fell from around the 33% level in quite a short period . Around a decade ( ?) .
But my general point still stands on the 33% figure --- it represents only a significant minority . Consistent with the falling number of Old white males ( ??? )

Peter1469
12-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Honestly cannot remember --- I get so much over my desk and on my screen everyday . But it will flash back later and I will pass it on happily . I recall that the figure fell from around the 33% level in quite a short period . Around a decade ( ?) .
But my general point still stands on the 33% figure --- it represents only a significant minority . Consistent with the falling number of Old white males ( ??? )

The link that I provided has the US as #1 in % of citizens for private ownership. I wonder if the study considered Switzerland gun ownership not private????

Peter1469
12-29-2012, 09:33 AM
This article from 2011 http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx puts the number at 47%.

patrickt
12-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Back in the early 70s I was asked to talk to a psychology class at the university. I expected it to be contentious but I enjoyed that. At one point, I was asked why, if the British police didn't have guns, we carried guns. I asked for a show of hands of how many people in the class had a gun at home. Being out west and before the virus infestation from California, well over half the class raised their hands.

Chris
12-29-2012, 11:25 AM
This article from 2011 http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx puts the number at 47%.

http://i.snag.gy/qU1VG.jpg

So where did cary come up with "Gun ownership is down to around 20% of US households .", er, "I recall that the figure fell from around the 33% level in quite a short period . ...But my general point still stands on the 33% figure"?

By region, the East is down at 37%, but even that is rising...

http://i.snag.gy/sX8wR.jpg

By party, no, Dems are at 40%, and rising...

http://i.snag.gy/nWMMv.jpg

EvolvingPolitics
12-29-2012, 02:05 PM
I think he should be deported. With the power of the mainstream media, and him being at the head root of one of the media giants, we can't have someone immigrating over here and just spinning an entire media corporation to views that another country has instilled in him. I know America is an ever Evolving nation, but I feel like we would be deported from Great Britain if we did something like this.

We can't run for president if we were born in another country, however, we can control a gigantic media corporation, that has the power to persuade the masses to their specific ideology. We have the freedom of speech, but that law does have its limitations, such as shouting fire a theater. But what about foreigners coming over to influence an entire nation?

My personal opinion is deport him, but really what basis do we have?

Chris
12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
The basis presented in the petition is the possible harm he could do to our second amendment rights. It's a somewhat tenuous argument, the petitition, but it is what it is.

Chloe
12-29-2012, 06:03 PM
I just feel it is hypocritical to talk about defending free speech, 1st amendment, liberty, and so on while at the same time demanding a person be deported for participating in it.

Chris
12-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I just feel it is hypocritical to talk about defending free speech, 1st amendment, liberty, and so on while at the same time demanding a person be deported for participating in it.

The only ones talking about free speech are those trying to use it as a hypocritical gotcha.

Chloe
12-29-2012, 06:17 PM
The only ones talking about free speech are those trying to use it as a hypocritical gotcha.

In my opinion an American wanting to deport someone for giving an opinion is hypocritical and totally the wrong message to be sending to the world. How would we feel if we went to work in another country that prides itself on free speech and then were threatened with deportation for giving an opinion on something that happened in the country we were living and working in? Americans would be yelling like crazy about it being unfair and how that country needs to embrace free speech and how the American is being treated like crap. It's just not that big of a deal to me that he did what all of us are doing right now, giving an opinion about guns and news.

Chris
12-29-2012, 06:21 PM
In my opinion an American wanting to deport someone for giving an opinion is hypocritical and totally the wrong message to be sending to the world. How would we feel if we went to work in another country that prides itself on free speech and then were threatened with deportation for giving an opinion on something that happened in the country we were living and working in? Americans would be yelling like crazy about it being unfair and how that country needs to embrace free speech and how the American is being treated like crap. It's just not that big of a deal to me that he did what all of us are doing right now, giving an opinion about guns and news.

Right, but the petition is about deporting Piers for potentially doing harm to our second amendment rights.

And as argued earlier, with no counter, deporting does not do any harm to his free speech.

Peter1469
12-29-2012, 06:27 PM

The US is under zero obligation to allow any particular person into the US. If this guy wants British gun laws, he should go back to Britain.

patrickt
12-29-2012, 07:09 PM
You really should check the Constitution, Chloe. Just because the liberals found that mysterious part that says women have a right to an abortion doesn't mean you can make up other "rights" to pretend they're in the Constitution. This is the text: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech. Does that mean you can tell you boss he's an idiot in front of co-workers and escape unscathed? No. Does that mean you can go to the podium in the Senate and make a speech whenever you feel like it? No. Does that mean that if you wife asks you if her new pants make her butt look big and you say, "It isn't the pants, Honey," you will escape retribution? No. Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech. Now, no one except U.S. Citizens has a right to be in the U.S. Non-citizens in a country are guests and just like your home, if they're a nuisance, they can be invited to leave. You should read the Constitution before you pretend to know what it says.

Chloe
12-29-2012, 07:52 PM
You really should check the Constitution, Chloe. Just because the liberals found that mysterious part that says women have a right to an abortion doesn't mean you can make up other "rights" to pretend they're in the Constitution. This is the text: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech. Does that mean you can tell you boss he's an idiot in front of co-workers and escape unscathed? No. Does that mean you can go to the podium in the Senate and make a speech whenever you feel like it? No. Does that mean that if you wife asks you if her new pants make her butt look big and you say, "It isn't the pants, Honey," you will escape retribution? No. Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech. Now, no one except U.S. Citizens has a right to be in the U.S. Non-citizens in a country are guests and just like your home, if they're a nuisance, they can be invited to leave. You should read the Constitution before you pretend to know what it says.

Fair enough. I guess I am pretty wrong when it comes to understanding the constitution. I just don't think it's worth being deported over for giving his opinion or even for the petition. Guest or not if you kicked everybody out of your house for disagreeing with you then you'd probably end up having no friends or company at all.

Mainecoons
12-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Agree and, to repeat, it just gives him credibility.

Ignore him, that's the best solution.

Peter1469
12-29-2012, 08:42 PM
What are his ratings like?

Chris
12-29-2012, 09:20 PM
According to Late shift ap-Piers likely for CNN host (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/late_shift_ap_piers_likely_for_cnn_RjSxI9qOV2pVwRp wBNZStL), in early December "The slumping cable news network is considering moving his hour-long interview show from the prized 9 p.m. slot back to 10 p.m. — or even later, The Post has learned."

Nothing like stirring controversy to boost ratings and keep your slot.

Carygrant
12-30-2012, 04:29 AM
According to Late shift ap-Piers likely for CNN host (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/late_shift_ap_piers_likely_for_cnn_RjSxI9qOV2pVwRp wBNZStL), in early December "The slumping cable news network is considering moving his hour-long interview show from the prized 9 p.m. slot back to 10 p.m. — or even later, The Post has learned."

Nothing like stirring controversy to boost ratings and keep your slot.

Yes . I pointed that out several pages ago .

Peter1469
12-30-2012, 06:58 AM
It looks like Piers agrees with deportation (and shows that he has too much estrogen flowing through his veins); http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254758/Piers-Morgan-Deport-If-America-wont-change-crazy-gun-laws-I-deport-myself.html

In conclusion, I can spare those Americans who want me deported a lot of effort by saying this: If you don’t change your gun laws to at least try to stop this relentless tidal wave of murderous carnage, then you don’t have to worry about deporting me.

Although I love the country as a second home and one that has treated me incredibly well, I would, as a concerned parent first – and latterly, of a one-year-old daughter who may attend an American elementary school like Sandy Hook in three years’ time – seriously consider deporting myself.

Good buy Piers. But, where will you go? The UK doesn't want you back.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254758/Piers-Morgan-Deport-If-America-wont-change-crazy-gun-laws-I-deport-myself.html#ixzz2GXG558Ov
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)

patrickt
12-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Fair enough. I guess I am pretty wrong when it comes to understanding the constitution. I just don't think it's worth being deported over for giving his opinion or even for the petition. Guest or not if you kicked everybody out of your house for disagreeing with you then you'd probably end up having no friends or company at all. All or nothing is a false argument. Kicking everyone out would be stupid. Piers Morgan is an obnoxious ass and this attack is just the straw that broke the camel's back. But, Chloe, I do respect your right to invite obnoxious racists, anti-semites, homophobes, and others to your parties. Of course, as you nurture them, everyone else will leave.

Carygrant
12-30-2012, 09:17 AM
All or nothing is a false argument. Kicking everyone out would be stupid. Piers Morgan is an obnoxious ass and this attack is just the straw that broke the camel's back. But, Chloe, I do respect your right to invite obnoxious racists, anti-semites, homophobes, and others to your parties. Of course, as you nurture them, everyone else will leave.

Your clear sub text is :-
He is obnoxious because he dares open his mouth and heavily criticise you in areas which you hate criticism.
He sounds no different than you do most of the time . Heal yourself first .

Re read your post -- what a distasteful example of gratuitous garbage .Perhaps the list tells us about you ? A racist , homophobe and anti semite .

Chris
12-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Your clear sub text is :-
He is obnoxious because he dares open his mouth and heavily criticise you in areas which you hate criticism.
He sounds no different than you do most of the time . Heal yourself first .

Re read your post -- what a distasteful example of gratuitous garbage .Perhaps the list tells us about you ? A racist , homophobe and anti semite .

It's subtext, and in your usage is merely license to invent strawmen about others' motivations. It tells us about you, not others.

Sociologists suggest that insults are often an indicator of flawed reasoning about the character or motivation of others. Though insults are common, and often used in jest, a fundamental axiom of sociology recognizes that derogatory forms of speech make erroneous attributions about the motivation of a person. Scholars classify the erroneous assumptions as the fundamental attribution error.
~http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insult

Carygrant
12-30-2012, 01:27 PM
It's subtext, and in your usage is merely license to invent strawmen about others' motivations. It tells us about you, not others.

Gratuitous garbage , Christopher . You can't learn social sciences from text books and your attempts to use Wicki for instant enlightenment are ----------- must not get involved in gratuitous verbal mockery .

Chris
12-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Gratuitous garbage , Christopher . You can't learn social sciences from text books and your attempts to use Wicki for instant enlightenment are ----------- must not get involved in gratuitous verbal mockery .

What, it's gratuitous because it shows you for the phoney you are inventing strawmen for insults?

roadmaster
12-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Good buy Piers. But, where will you go? The UK doesn't want you back.
Why would they not want him back I wonder. Well he may have to find another.

Carygrant
12-30-2012, 02:47 PM
What, it's gratuitous because it shows you for the phoney you are inventing strawmen for insults?

Christopher , you can wriggle all day but you will always be a worm .
It was when you insisted that you had a different book in every room that I fell over laughing and thought , book worm . Well , worm , actually , because I did not believe it .

Mister D
12-30-2012, 03:38 PM
It was when you insisted that you had a different book in every room that I fell over laughing and thought , book worm . Well , worm , actually , because I did not believe it .

Your clear subtext is an admission of defeat. :smiley:

Chris
12-30-2012, 04:39 PM

I do have to hand it to you, cary, you do have an imagination, a rather wild one to make up all these strawmen. Wiggle, who's wiggling, who's trying to make up new strawmen to cover up old strawmen?

It is true, I have different books in different rooms. But it takes quite an imagination to make that into an insult. It's like saying that reading books is a bad thing, and we all know that's absurdly silly to say.

Keep it coming, cary, it keeps your personality in the forefront of everyone's attention.

bladimz
01-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Remember that Michael Savage has been banned from entering the UK. Remember the outrage that his followers displayed... Kind of like the same idea. Don't like the idea of being banned from another country, but can't wait to toss someone out of ours.

Chris
01-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Savage is a shock jock banned as threat to public security. Piers, a sensationalist, doesn't rise to that level, but the petition is he threatens rights.

Carygrant
01-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Remember that Michael Savage has been banned from entering the UK. Remember the outrage that his followers displayed... Kind of like the same idea. Don't like the idea of being banned from another country, but can't wait to toss someone out of ours.

Absolutely , if they are being gratuitously offensive or worse .
But Piers is just continuing our missionary tradition and telling the natives to get a grip of reality and learn to behave like a civilised nation .

patrickt
01-02-2013, 07:06 AM
I don't believe Savage is banned in Britain but I don't really care.

A guest in the U.S. who wishes to attach the Constitution is welcome to do so from London. U.S. citizens can attack the Constitution with impunity but not limey twits.

Carygrant
01-02-2013, 07:33 AM

A guest in the U.S. who wishes to attach the Constitution is welcome to do so from London. U.S. citizens can attack the Constitution with impunity but not limey twits.

You ( not you specifically because you are Mehican) have turned the Constitution into a comedy manual . How can you expect it to be taken seriously when all you do is go round the world doing precisely the opposite to what you preach and getting trodden on by all and sundry ?
Whereas the British are so respected that even when we turn up in dresses and make rude noises with pig's bladders we are cheered and lauded .

Peter1469
01-02-2013, 07:45 AM
If he wants America to be the UK, he should be forcibly removed from the US.

patrickt
01-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Actually, like the UK, many of us don't want him here any longer. Maybe the French would like him. They love Barack Obama, Jerry Lewis, and Saddam Hussein.

bladimz
01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Savage is a shock jock banned as threat to public security. Piers, a sensationalist, doesn't rise to that level, but the petition is he threatens rights.
A little paranoid to think that he is, one man, a threat to our rights. Do you feel that this man is a threat to your rights as an American, Chris?

My point stands.

bladimz
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM

A guest in the U.S. who wishes to attach the Constitution is welcome to do so from London. U.S. citizens can attack the Constitution with impunity but not limey twits.You believe that it's ok for citizens to attack the Constitution? I'll remember that. :wink:

Chris
01-02-2013, 12:25 PM
A little paranoid to think that he is, one man, a threat to our rights. Do you feel that this man is a threat to your rights as an American, Chris?

My point stands.

And a little paranoid to think Savage is too. Your point is countered.

I think both are blowhards.

But the facts are Savage is banned for what he says and the petition asks for Piers to be banned as a threat to second amendment rights.

Chris
01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
You ( not you specifically because you are Mehican) have turned the Constitution into a comedy manual . How can you expect it to be taken seriously when all you do is go round the world doing precisely the opposite to what you preach and getting trodden on by all and sundry ?
Whereas the British are so respected that even when we turn up in dresses and make rude noises with pig's bladders we are cheered and lauded .

You need to be asking that question of liberals here not conservatives. It is the liberals who trample the Constitution.

patrickt
01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
You believe that it's ok for citizens to attack the Constitution? I'll remember that. :wink:

I doubt you will but of course, I do. I find them disgusting repulsive left-wing gutter snipes but they, as citizens, have every right to participate in political discourse however misguided. It's the left that hates free speech, Blad.