PDA

View Full Version : Colorado governor vetoes marijuana ‘tasting rooms’ proposal

roadmaster
06-04-2018, 10:21 PM
DENVER (AP) — Colorado’s governor on Monday vetoed a bill to allow marijuana retailers to set up “tasting rooms,” dashing hopes that the state would be the first to adopt a system letting consumers use marijuana in public spaces.
Gov. John Hickenlooper has objected to similar bills in the past, arguing it could prompt a federal crackdown. He stayed quiet on the issue during the legislative session this year but wasn’t satisfied with the scaled-back proposal. In a letter (https://www.colorado.gov/governor/sites/default/files/1258_letter.pdf) explaining the veto, Hickelooper wrote that the bill could have resulted in more impaired drivers on Colorado’s roads and other public health risks.

“We may agree with the proponents’ goals to protect the public and children; however, we strongly disagree that this bill is the correct path to achieve those goals,” he wrote.
This year’s proposal dramatically scaled back some advocates’ ambitions for stand-alone businesses reminiscent of a neighborhood bar or an upscale club where marijuana products would replace alcohol. The bill did not allow smoking of marijuana in the establishments and also let local municipalities decide whether to allow the so-called “tasting rooms.”

https://apnews.com/d14fd24b83124d7b8cf79f876ca20599/Colorado-governor-vetoes-marijuana-'tasting-rooms'-proposal?utm_medium=APWestRegion&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Green Arrow
06-05-2018, 07:59 AM
If you can have alcohol tastings, you can have weed tastings.

Mini Me
06-05-2018, 09:51 AM
You don't want to trigger the crazy Jeff Sessions hatred of the Colorado MJ law, and tasting rooms could do that.

donttread
06-05-2018, 10:45 AM
DENVER (AP) — Colorado’s governor on Monday vetoed a bill to allow marijuana retailers to set up “tasting rooms,” dashing hopes that the state would be the first to adopt a system letting consumers use marijuana in public spaces.
Gov. John Hickenlooper has objected to similar bills in the past, arguing it could prompt a federal crackdown. He stayed quiet on the issue during the legislative session this year but wasn’t satisfied with the scaled-back proposal. In a letter (https://www.colorado.gov/governor/sites/default/files/1258_letter.pdf) explaining the veto, Hickelooper wrote that the bill could have resulted in more impaired drivers on Colorado’s roads and other public health risks.

“We may agree with the proponents’ goals to protect the public and children; however, we strongly disagree that this bill is the correct path to achieve those goals,” he wrote.
This year’s proposal dramatically scaled back some advocates’ ambitions for stand-alone businesses reminiscent of a neighborhood bar or an upscale club where marijuana products would replace alcohol. The bill did not allow smoking of marijuana in the establishments and also let local municipalities decide whether to allow the so-called “tasting rooms.”

https://apnews.com/d14fd24b83124d7b8cf79f876ca20599/Colorado-governor-vetoes-marijuana-'tasting-rooms'-proposal?utm_medium=APWestRegion&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

But far more dangerous bars are OK? LOL Speaking of which is this governor beholding to Corrs by any chance?

Tahuyaman
06-05-2018, 10:49 AM

It looks like the Governor of Colorado disagrees with you.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2018, 10:51 AM
But far more dangerous bars are OK? LOL Speaking of which is this governor beholding to Corrs by any chance?

I can have a beer or a drink and not be intoxicated.

Can you take one hit off a bowl of weed and not get high?

Cletus
06-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Possession and consumption of alcohol is not a violation of federal law.
You should think before you post.

Green Arrow
06-05-2018, 11:10 AM

So what?

Green Arrow
06-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Possession and consumption of alcohol is not a violation of federal law.
You should think before you post.

Did you take a nap today? You’re pretty grouchy.

Cletus
06-05-2018, 11:11 AM
So what?

So, the bill needs his signature to become law.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2018, 12:19 PM

So what?

Obviously your comment about allowing marijuana tasting rooms because alcohol tasting rooms exist is incorrect.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2018, 12:22 PM
I can drive my car to a bar, have a beer and not be under the influence of alcohol. I can't drive to a marijuana tasting room, sample a small amount of marijuana and not be under the influence.

I think it's prudent to not allow commercial marijuana tasting rooms.

Green Arrow
06-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Obviously your comment about allowing marijuana tasting rooms because alcohol tasting rooms exist is incorrect.

What does the governor’s opinion of the law have to do with whether or not it is a good/justified law?

Green Arrow
06-05-2018, 12:48 PM
So, the bill needs his signature to become law.

What does that have to do with the merits of the law itself?

Tahuyaman
06-05-2018, 01:11 PM
What does the governor’s opinion of the law have to do with whether or not it is a good/justified law?

How is disallowing marijuana tasting rooms unjustified? I think it's prudent to disallow their existence. Like I said, people can consume small amounts of alcohol and not be under the influence. You can't say the same thing about marijuana. Allowing these operations would be putting public safety at risk.