PDA

View Full Version : Impossible to truly answer but important question

donttread
06-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know the true cost of government administration of tax dollars and borrowed money? In other words some statistic like we use for charitable organizations to give us an idea what percentage of the donated dollars are actually applied to the cause vs. administration?
How much does it cost to administrate the federal government, collect taxes , hold the money, disburse the money back where it came from , all the expenses and salaries for elected officials and regulatory agencies, travel, security, benefits etc excluding the salaries of the worker bees who actually provide services to the public directly?
For every dollar taxed what percentage winds up applied to actual programs and service production? And how much goes for administration of the government and it's many agencies? One small example would be the cost of the IRS and related congressional time vs. the amount of money netted.

Dr. Who
06-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know the true cost of government administration of tax dollars and borrowed money? In other words some statistic like we use for charitable organizations to give us an idea what percentage of the donated dollars are actually applied to the cause vs. administration?
How much does it cost to administrate the federal government, collect taxes , hold the money, disburse the money back where it came from , all the expenses and salaries for elected officials and regulatory agencies, travel, security, benefits etc excluding the salaries of the worker bees who actually provide services to the public directly?
For every dollar taxed what percentage winds up applied to actual programs and service production? And how much goes for administration of the government and it's many agencies? One small example would be the cost of the IRS and related congressional time vs. the amount of money netted.

If it's any consolation, eventually most of those tasks will be the function of software and no or very few people will be necessary to carry them out.

donttread
06-12-2018, 05:26 PM
If it's any consolation, eventually most of those tasks will be the function of software and no or very few people will be necessary to carry them out.

Not in the case of congress. I'm not sure that's what IT means when they say the software has been "corrupted"

DGUtley
06-12-2018, 05:44 PM

Mordor on the Potomac will shrink? No way. It is not in its interest.

Peter1469
06-12-2018, 05:54 PM
I imagine these numbers exist somewhere.

Dr. Who
06-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Mordor on the Potomac will shrink? No way. It is not in its interest.
Just all the admin staff. The political apparatchiks and closest minions won't go anywhere.

donttread
06-12-2018, 06:54 PM
I imagine these numbers exist somewhere.

I'm guessing with a watchdog agency maybe?

Peter1469
06-12-2018, 06:57 PM
I'm guessing with a watchdog agency maybe?
The Congressional Budget Office may have it. I imagine private watchdog groups may as well- probably citing to CBO data.

midcan5
06-14-2018, 06:42 AM
This site looks a little biased but anyway. http://costofgovernment.org/cost-government-arrives-july-a1853

Would we rather drive on roads and bridges built by libertarian thought is my question.

Chris
06-14-2018, 06:58 AM
This site looks a little biased but anyway. http://costofgovernment.org/cost-government-arrives-july-a1853

Would we rather drive on roads and bridges built by libertarian thought is my question.

Why, because you don't like it?

The total cost of government in 2014 is 51 percent of the annual Gross Domestic Product (GDP). This year, Americans had to work 121 days to pay for total spending, which made up 33 percent of GDP. Americans worked 81 days to pay for federal spending and 40 days to pay for state and local spending. To pay for regulatory costs, Americans had to work 42 days to meet federal regulations and 23 days to meet state regulations. In total, regulatory costs amount to a full 17 percent of GDP.

Our conservative estimate of total regulatory costs only takes into account the cost of complying with regulations. The estimate does not include the deadweight loss, or foregone goods and services that result from regulatory burdens. If these negative economic effects were taken into account, the costs would be much higher when taking into consideration the opportunity cost of these government policies.

Chris
06-14-2018, 06:58 AM
And lol all that's going to be replaced by software.

Beevee
06-14-2018, 07:04 AM
Replace Pruitt with software and the US can afford to pay off the National Debt.

Chris
06-14-2018, 07:15 AM
CBO testimony:

The federal government employs about 2.2 million civilian workers—1.5 percent of the U.S. workforce—spread among more than 100 agencies in jobs that represent over 650 occupations. As a result, the government employs workers with a broad complement of talents, skills, and experience, and it competes with other government and private-sector employers for people who possess the mix of attributes needed to do the work of its agencies.

In fiscal year 2016, the government spent roughly $215 billion to compensate federal civilian employees....

@ https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52706

donttread
06-14-2018, 03:24 PM
The Congressional Budget Office may have it. I imagine private watchdog groups may as well- probably citing to CBO data.

You know me well enough to know that I wouldn't trust government data on a topic like this.

donttread
06-14-2018, 03:25 PM
CBO testimony:

@ https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52706

Thanks. But then we'd have to add upkeep, contractors , etc

Peter1469
06-14-2018, 03:32 PM
You know me well enough to know that I wouldn't trust government data on a topic like this.

I suspect you will not find a source that you trust.

donttread
06-16-2018, 09:28 AM
I suspect you will not find a source that you trust.

Yeah, I'm funny like that . I like true unbiased non-government information.