PDA

View Full Version : Theatergoer Holds Up ‘Trump 2020’ Flag At Robert De Niro’s ‘Bronx Tale’

DGUtley
06-18-2018, 08:14 AM
Theatergoer Holds Up ‘Trump 2020’ Flag At Robert De Niro’s ‘Bronx Tale’ -- Apparently it upset some people? I guess it's ok one-way?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-robert-de-niro-bronx-tale_us_5b2775d9e4b0f9178a9eb95b

gamewell45
06-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Theatergoer Holds Up ‘Trump 2020’ Flag At Robert De Niro’s ‘Bronx Tale’ -- Apparently it upset some people? I guess it's ok one-way?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-robert-de-niro-bronx-tale_us_5b2775d9e4b0f9178a9eb95b

The first amendment says it is okay to do that so there should not be an issue. If others are upset and let it be known, that's their right as well.

DGUtley
06-18-2018, 08:35 AM
The first amendment says it is okay to do that so there should not be an issue. If others are upset and let it be known, that's their right as well.

No. The First Amendment prohibits Congress (and through the extension of the 14th Amendment, the States) from abridging the freedom of speech:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment does not apply in a private enterprise.

gamewell45
06-18-2018, 08:57 AM
No. The First Amendment prohibits Congress (and through the extension of the 14th Amendment, the States) from abridging the freedom of speech:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment does not apply in a private enterprise.
Okay, allow me to clarify my prior; If I am at work and I walk up to my boss in front of my co-workers and tell him that he's a horrible manager, I will not be arrested for my words; I may get fired but will not be criminally prosecuted for my words. If my co-workers agree or disagree verbally at the same time, they will not be criminally charged as well although they could be fired as well.

The theater has the right to remove them from the premises but not have them charged with a crime. My opinion.

DGUtley
06-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Okay, allow me to clarify my prior; If I am at work and I walk up to my boss in front of my co-workers and tell him that he's a horrible manager, I will not be arrested for my words; I may get fired but will not be criminally prosecuted for my words. If my co-workers agree or disagree verbally at the same time, they will not be criminally charged as well although they could be fired as well. The theater has the right to remove them from the premises but not have them charged with a crime. My opinion.

Thank you for clarifying. I generally agree with you.

MMC
06-18-2018, 09:47 AM
He should have had a sign that said.....Fuck DeNiro.

Captdon
06-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Okay, allow me to clarify my prior; If I am at work and I walk up to my boss in front of my co-workers and tell him that he's a horrible manager, I will not be arrested for my words; I may get fired but will not be criminally prosecuted for my words. If my co-workers agree or disagree verbally at the same time, they will not be criminally charged as well although they could be fired as well.

The theater has the right to remove them from the premises but not have them charged with a crime. My opinion.

If you are fired then you don't have the right of free speech on someone else's property.

gamewell45
06-18-2018, 10:01 AM
If you are fired then you don't have the right of free speech on someone else's property.

Correct; as I mentioned in the above post; you will not be charged criminally but, while there are a few exceptions, you can be fired in most cases under labor law.

MMC
06-18-2018, 10:11 AM
https://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/stg061218dAPR20180612014506.jpg

Common
06-18-2018, 12:35 PM
If I was there not only would I have held up the flag, I would have screame F Deniero

Cletus
06-18-2018, 01:06 PM
The only real problem I have with this is that it infringes on the right of the people in the audience to enjoy the services they paid for without interruption.

ripmeister
06-18-2018, 01:37 PM
The problem I have with something like this is if I had paid good money to go see some sort of show and some nimrod started a protest for whatever I'd be pissed. Its no different than those idiots who discuss things in a movie theatre, or who futz around with their phones. I didn't buy a ticket to listen to their conversation.

MisterVeritis
06-18-2018, 01:52 PM
If I was there not only would I have held up the flag, I would have screamed F Deniero

Then you should be charged with disturbing the peace. Make your point quietly and leave when asked to do so.

MMC
06-18-2018, 02:17 PM
The problem I have with something like this is if I had paid good money to go see some sort of show and some nimrod started a protest for whatever I'd be pissed. Its no different than those idiots who discuss things in a movie theatre, or who futz around with their phones. I didn't buy a ticket to listen to their conversation.

Kind of like those that tune into an Awards show, only to get some Nimrod actor going political, huh?

ripmeister
06-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Kind of like those that tune into an Awards show, only to get some Nimrod actor going political, huh?
No, not really. IMO there is a difference between a TV show that you are not intimately a part of and a Broadway show or a movie in a movie theatre. You apparently don't see a difference and that's fine. By the way, I thought what DeNiro did was in bad taste and just plain stupid but for very different reasons than what I suspect you believe.

Mister D
06-18-2018, 02:28 PM
It's a difference only an independent could see.

Mister D
06-18-2018, 02:30 PM
That's shame about De Niro. I like some of his movies but now I'll be thinking about what a goofball he is when I see his characters. Thanks, Robert.

MisterVeritis
06-18-2018, 02:33 PM
That's shame about De Niro. I like some of his movies but now I'll be thinking about what a goofball he is when I see his characters. Thanks, Robert.
I do not go out of my way to boycott buffoons. I do weigh my options more carefully. For example, although I enjoyed "Arrow" once they began using it to push gun control I stopped watching. I never watched another episode. We have many options for entertainment.

ripmeister
06-18-2018, 02:34 PM
It's a difference only an independent could see.

Yes, a quite observant one at that.

Mister D
06-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Yes, a quite observant one at that.
Sure...

Mister D
06-18-2018, 02:40 PM
I do not go out of my way to boycott buffoons. I do weigh my options more carefully. For example, although I enjoyed "Arrow" once they began using it to pus gun control I stopped watching. I never watched another episode. We have many options for entertainment.
I wouldn't go out of my way either. A Bronx tale, for example, is a pretty good movie. It's just now I will associate De Niro with being a dumb ass.

MMC
06-18-2018, 02:52 PM
No, not really. IMO there is a difference between a TV show that you are not intimately a part of and a Broadway show or a movie in a movie theatre. You apparently don't see a difference and that's fine. By the way, I thought what DeNiro did was in bad taste and just plain stupid but for very different reasons than what I suspect you believe.

Yet a live TV show filled with people expecting to see some actors and actresses receive awards and dressed to the nines, does differ than some Broadway play. But I think that even an independent could correlate the similarity between both live events, Right?

ripmeister
06-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Yet a live TV show filled with people expecting to see some actors and actresses receive awards and dressed to the nines, does differ than some Broadway play. But I think that even an independent could correlate the similarity between both live events, Right?
No. We just see it differently.