PDA

View Full Version : How Will Baby Boomers Respond...

Ethereal
06-18-2018, 01:37 PM
...when the millennial generation takes over the political system in the coming years?

Will they kick and scream and spew venom every step of the way?

Will they take the moderate approach and seek reasonable compromises?

Will they just give up and walk away?

They've been in control for so long, that I believe they are going to have serious trouble dealing with the ascendancy of younger generations. This is especially true since younger generations have very different views from boomers on a wide range of issues.

MisterVeritis
06-18-2018, 01:42 PM
...when the millennial generation takes over the political system in the coming years?

They've been in control for so long, that I believe they are going to have serious trouble dealing with the ascendancy of younger generations. This is especially true since younger generations have very different views from boomers on a wide range of issues.

How has a transition of power from one generation to the next occurred throughout our short history? Look there for your clues.

DGUtley
06-18-2018, 01:44 PM
I have a plan: the millennials don't get to work every day, or even before noon. So, us boomers will just get in early every day and run the show -- and go home before the millennials stroll in with their double frappacino's, man purses and man buns.

Ethereal
06-18-2018, 01:44 PM
How has a transition of power from one generation to the next occurred throughout our short history? Look there for your clues.

Usually with a great deal of contention and animus. I suspect boomers will cling desperately to power until the very last.

Ethereal
06-18-2018, 01:47 PM
I have a plan: the millennials don't get to work every day, or even before noon. So, us boomers will just get in early every day and run the show -- and go home before the millennials stroll in with their double frappacino's, man purses and man buns.
That's assuming you guys don't fall asleep by noon. And while you think millennials are at home doing nothing, they'll be working remotely through the internet, leveraging technology in order to bring about massive gains in efficiency and transparency.

:grin:

MisterVeritis
06-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Usually with a great deal of contention and animus. I suspect boomers will cling desperately to power until the very last.
Of course. I plan to vote. I plan to continue to be engaged. At every level of government, one legislator will replace another. One mayor will replace another. It has been this way from the beginning of this nation.

Ethereal
06-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Of course. I plan to vote. I plan to continue to be engaged. At every level of government, one legislator will replace another. One mayor will replace another. It has been this way from the beginning of this nation.
Yes, obviously things will change. The question I'm asking is how will boomers handle this change. With grace or with bitterness? Based on my experiences, I suspect it will be the latter.

DGUtley
06-18-2018, 01:53 PM
That's assuming you guys don't fall asleep by noon. And while you think millennials are at home doing nothing, they'll be working remotely through the internet, leveraging technology in order to bring about massive gains in efficiency and transparency. :grin:

Ah... yes.... "working remotely"... We used to call it "golf"

MisterVeritis
06-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Yes, obviously things will change. The question I'm asking is how will boomers handle this change. With grace or with bitterness? Based on my experiences, I suspect it will be the latter.
Does it matter? It isn't as if everyone will "change out" on the same day.

MisterVeritis
06-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Ah... yes.... "working remotely"... We used to call it "golf"
Goal Oriented Leadership Function...

Ethereal
06-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Of course it matters. It will be a determining factor in how smoothly the transition goes. If handled with grace, boomers will be able to achieve more favorable compromises. But if they make the process as difficult as possible, then millennials will just throw compromise out the window and ram their agenda down the boomer throat, figuratively speaking.

MisterVeritis
06-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Of course it matters. It will be a determining factor in how smoothly the transition goes. If handled with grace, boomers will be able to achieve more favorable compromises. But if they make the process as difficult as possible, then millennials will just throw compromise out the window and ram their agenda down the boomer throat, figuratively speaking.
I doubt anyone will notice.

When I retired at age 62 a 50-year-old and a few 40-year-olds assumed my duties. I moved on to other things.

Captdon
06-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Why would the boomers be upset? We know when our age catches up with us. We also know when we need new blood. One of the things we were upset about in 2016 was that two old people were running.

All the boomers I know want our kids to take over. We did what we did and now it's their turn. As far as their politics we don't really know what they are until they run. I think they aren't as far off as you do.

Too long? 26 years isn't too long.

Captdon
06-18-2018, 02:54 PM

You have no reason to think that. A new generation is running for offices even now. It's their turn and every boomer I know (Except the kooks) is tired of it all and want someone else to do the work. We did ours and we are willing to let the youngsters take charge.

We'll bitch when we feel it's needed but so what?

My farther's generation didn't fuss at all. We don't just throw out all the old and put the new in charge. It's an ongoing process. I don't know how old you are but different generations do according to what happened when they were young.

Captdon
06-18-2018, 02:54 PM
That's assuming you guys don't fall asleep by noon. And while you think millennials are at home doing nothing, they'll be working remotely through the internet, leveraging technology in order to bring about massive gains in efficiency and transparency.

:grin:

Nah, he got it right.

Captdon
06-18-2018, 03:00 PM

We aren't giving them any kind of hard time now. Why would we start later? As we die off they have to take over. We aren't stupid. I trust my children and grandchildren to do their best.

What compromises do we have to make. We have what we want now. It's their turn to build the country they want.

Mechanic
06-18-2018, 03:44 PM
My grandchildren already do vote and voice their opinions. They are just like everyone else in the workforce of IT and simply do not understand why conservatives are the way they are.

DGUtley
06-18-2018, 03:46 PM
My grandchildren already do vote and voice their opinions. They are just like everyone else in the workforce of IT and simply do not understand why conservatives are the way they are.

Because they haven't and don't live in the real world. That's not an indictment of your grandkids. I don't have grandkids yet, it's more of a function of the cozy life we've made for them that permits them to think like that. I see it all the time.

jimmyz
06-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Each generation will vote for their self interest. It it aint so decade to decade.

Tahuyaman
06-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Baby boomers will try to instill some reason and rationality in the millenials.

Tahuyaman
06-18-2018, 04:25 PM

When they gain more experience and wisdom they will finally understand and become conservatives themselves.

Common
06-18-2018, 04:58 PM

Youre obsessed with babyboomer seniors and you like to knock them regularly. Whether millenials like it or not babyboomers have been voting for decades and theres still a good number of us, more than enough to make a difference for at least two more election cycles or three.

We will accept the millenials no differently than the Greatest Generation accepted us and the generation before that accepted the greatest generation. Nothing changes it just repeats itself, theres a cycle of life that no one can change.

Down the road and it will come sooner than you think someone will be hating on your generation

barb012
06-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Many of you have faith in the younger generations dealing with the baby boomers but as I am the last year of the baby boomers, I hope I die so I do not have to deal with it. I do not have any confidence in the younger generations as I feel when all of the baby boomers are gone, society will collapse.

Cletus
06-18-2018, 11:12 PM
When they gain more experience and wisdom they will finally understand and become conservatives themselves.

That is it right there.

As with each generation before them, the next one will come to realize that actually running things is hard work and all their pie in the sky ideas were just childish fantasies that they will put aside and look back upon and shake their heads as they say "I can't believe we thought like that".

They will grow up.

Mechanic
06-19-2018, 02:01 PM
When they gain more experience and wisdom they will finally understand and become conservatives themselves.I must say Churchill has your mind. My family is a loving and caring one. We do not mind giving until it hurts. Not that giving has ever hurt. I am sure that just as I am a liberal they will be too. They can see the injustice of conservatism on society and the crime it inspires.

MisterVeritis
06-19-2018, 02:22 PM
I must say Churchill has your mind. My family is a loving and caring one. We do not mind giving until it hurts. Not that giving has ever hurt. I am sure that just as I am a liberal they will be too. They can see the injustice of conservatism on society and the crime it inspires.
Do you have examples of conservatism's injustices and inspired crimes?

Mechanic
06-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Separating children from parents who seek asylum from oppressive regimes. When you are beaten down by repressive laws you see the only answer as crime.

MisterVeritis
06-19-2018, 03:34 PM

Separating children from parents who seek asylum from oppressive regimes. When you are beaten down by repressive laws you see the only answer as crime.
But that is not what is happening, is it? No one who sought asylum at a port of entry was separated from their children. Those who unlawfully broke and entered, burglars, if you will, are going to be prosecuted. The crimes were committed against the American citizens by the illegal aliens.

Based on your support they are on your team.

Do you have any actual examples of conservatism's injustices and inspired crimes?