PDA

View Full Version : Obama To Order FDA to Help Reduce Drug Shortages.....

MMC
10-31-2011, 06:02 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-order-fda-help-reduce-drug-shortages-100126538.html
AP – 7 mins ago Oct 31st 2011.....

WASHINGTON (AP) — Acting once again ahead of Congress, President Barack Obama is directing the Food and Drug Administration to take steps to reduce drug shortages, an escalating problem that has placed patients at risk and raised the possibility of price gouging.

A White House official said the president planned to sign an executive order Monday instructing the FDA to take action. The order would be the latest in the president's campaign to move on initiatives that do not require congressional approval.

Last year, the FDA reported 178 drug shortages, and the agency says it continues to see an increase in shortages this year. These scarcities tend to affect cancer drugs, anesthetics, drugs used in emergency medicine, and electrolytes needed for intravenous feeding.

Obama also will announce his support for House and Senate legislation that would require drug makers to notify the FDA six months ahead of a potential shortage, the official said. Under current regulations, drug manufactures are only required to notify the FDA if medically necessary drugs are being discontinued. Notification of shortages is strictly voluntary.

The FDA says major causes of drug shortages are quality or manufacturing problems, or delays in receiving components from suppliers. Drug makers also discontinue certain drugs in favor of newer medications that are more profitable. The FDA does not have authority to force drug makers to continue production of a drug.....snip~

Is this his strategy to nit-pik his accomplishments in order to Showcase that he is an effective legislator? So just what does this Executive order do? Telling the FDA to take steps to reduce drug shortages? What steps can they take?

The article then states he will back legislation by Congress. That he will announce that he supports Congress Enacting legislation that would require drug makers to Contact the FDA 6 months prior to a shortage. But if he is signing an Excutive Order telling the FDA to take steps. Then what does he need to show that he supports Congress passing legislation on the same issue for?

Also isnt it true that drug medication haves an expiration date? Wouldnt this affect that order. Should drug companies when they make the drug and it has an expiration date. Send the info then to the FDA. In which then the FDA would know that drug is not in stock or being made anymore? Thoughts?

Conley
10-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Yes, most medications definitely have an expiration date.

I don't see the point to this legislation:

"The FDA does not have authority to force drug makers to continue production of a drug"

So, under the new law (if passed) the company must tell the FDA supplies are running low, but the FDA has no authority to force the drug company to do anything about it. So how will that change or accomplish anything?

MMC
10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes, most medications definitely have an expiration date.

I don't see the point to this legislation:

"The FDA does not have authority to force drug makers to continue production of a drug"

So, under the new law (if passed) the company must tell the FDA supplies are running low, but the FDA has no authority to force the drug company to do anything about it. So how will that change or accomplish anything?

Another order to waste time with the FDA.....then he has the order to the Border Security up North to sit on their asses. That they can only go after crinimals. The FDA was torn-up when Bush had it then when the Dems got control. So they are stretched thin already. One question I would have is the FDA outsourcing work to anyone else?

Pendragon
10-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Unless you are a drug manufacturer why would you hold this against Obama? He is doing what he can within the limited scope of our government to ensure that all peoples have access to the medications they need at affordable prices.

I fail to see how medication shortages and prohibitive costs that lead to mass illness and death widespread across the nation is a preferable option.

MMC
10-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Unless you are a drug manufacturer why would you hold this against Obama? He is doing what he can within the limited scope of our government to ensure that all peoples have access to the medications they need at affordable prices.

I fail to see how medication shortages and prohibitive costs that lead to mass illness and death widespread across the nation is a preferable option.

It's Bureaucratic red tape Pen.....if the Drug Company Produces a drug that expires in 6months. Then the FDA would know those pills are no good after a set date. Thats from the Initial Reporting. As the Drugs would have to be Approved by the FDA in the First Place. Once the research was done. The FDA would need to know quantity in order to sell to the masses and or just a specific region of the country. Whether for Private or Commercial use. Waste of money and time! As usual the Dems looking to soak another dime! ;)

jgreer
10-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Basically here's what you need to know about why this is bad in the eyes of some people:

Everything Obama does it wrong. Every single thing. ::) He can't win with these people. There's nothing wasteful about this proposal at all, he's just trying to help the American people in a very skewed battle against the Mega Pharm Corps.

Conley
10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Basically here's what you need to know about why this is bad in the eyes of some people:

Everything Obama does it wrong. Every single thing. ::) He can't win with these people. There's nothing wasteful about this proposal at all, he's just trying to help the American people in a very skewed battle against the Mega Pharm Corps.

Similarly in the eyes of some people Obama can do no wrong. Perhaps you can agree that both positions are counter-productive?

Conley
10-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Adding more government when it does nothing to improve the situation is not harmless as some lefties believe, it is a path to destruction all on its own. Every extra layer of bureaucracy, every new law that has no point or does not get enforced just adds to the quicksand that is engulfing the country sapping our strength economically, taking away our liberty, and making it even harder to address the real issues our federal government should be addressing. Washington DC has an obesity problem.

MMC
10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
The FDA is not just Drugs either. Its Food. So then it has to have an impact on food. What Limit Food inspectors from doing their job. IMO this is a part of the government that they cannot be playing no games with.

Conley
10-31-2011, 10:57 AM
The FDA is not just Drugs either. Its Food. So then it has to have an impact on food. What Limit Food inspectors from doing their job. IMO this is a part of the government that they cannot be playing no games with.

Good point. We have great food safety in this country considering the amount that goes through the system and it would be a shame to compromise that.

jgreer
10-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Similarly in the eyes of some people Obama can do no wrong. Perhaps you can agree that both positions are counter-productive?

Of course I agree with that. I often admit Obama and other democrats have made mistakes. No one is perfect.

MMC
10-31-2011, 11:32 AM

Of course I agree with that. I often admit Obama and other democrats have made mistakes. No one is perfect.

http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/biglaugh.gif..... Well go and check the thread on Why Obama is sending Troops to Africa. This way you can see another of his mistakes. They just keep going and going. ;)

I think I heard that somewheres before. :D

jgreer
10-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Why is this funny to you? I thought you were worried about our food supply?

Anyways, it's a hard job being President. I think Obama is doing a good job, definitely much better than George W. Bush and many others. Also he is doing better than McCain or Palin would have done. So we agree he's not perfect. If by him trying to strengthen the FDA is his biggest mistake then you have to admit he's doing a good job. This is the biggest story to blast him that you could find?

MMC
10-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Why is this funny to you? I thought you were worried about our food supply?

Anyways, it's a hard job being President. I think Obama is doing a good job, definitely much better than George W. Bush and many others. Also he is doing better than McCain or Palin would have done. So we agree he's not perfect. If by him trying to strengthen the FDA is his biggest mistake then you have to admit he's doing a good job. This is the biggest story to blast him that you could find?

To bad his Executive order doesnt strengthen the FDA. Nice publicity stunt tho! ;)