PDA

View Full Version : Bloodbath at Stones River

Mister D
12-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Braxton's Bragg's Army of Tennesee began its attack on William Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland on December 31st 1862 for the control of Middle Tennesee. The fighting was bloody but inconclusive. Total casualties were out of proportion to the number of men engaged (31% and 33% respectively). On the other hand, Stones River was a 4 day slugfest as opposed to Antietam, for example, where the bulk of the carnage took place within a 6 hour period.

IMO, it was strategic Union victory because it kept most of TN under Union control (especially Nashville) and revived Union morale after the fiasco at Fredericksburg VA.

Agravan
12-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Damned bluebellies...
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4895395948135515&pid=1.7&w=130&h=151&c=7&rs=1

Mister D
12-31-2012, 04:03 PM
I think Lee's victories in the east tend to overshadow the fighting in the west where Confederate fortunes began to sink from the very beginning. When you take the war as a whole it's clear to me at least that the south never really had a chance.

Agravan
12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, you're right. With the manufaturing based in the North, the South had to rely on imports and the cotton trade to keep our boys supplied with weapons and ammo. Such is not the case today...we're ready for Round two :)

roadmaster
12-31-2012, 04:36 PM
I think Lee's victories in the east tend to overshadow the fighting in the west where Confederate fortunes began to sink from the very beginning. When you take the war as a whole it's clear to me at least that the south never really had a chance.

True and the south didn't have the same weapons they did. They still fought hard and brave.

Mister D
12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, you're right. With the manufaturing based in the North, the South had to rely on imports and the cotton trade to keep our boys supplied with weapons and ammo. Such is not the case today...we're ready for Round two :)

:laugh: I'm a Yankee but I might just join you.

Mister D
12-31-2012, 04:59 PM
True and the south didn't have the same weapons they did. They still fought hard and brave.

Believe it or not, a lot of troops were used smooth bore muskets from both sides. While it had a shorter range 'buck and ball' was very effective under 100 yards. One of Meagher's Irish regiments was armed with smooth bores, for example, and caused quite a bit of mayhem at Antietam when they managed to get close.

Agravan
12-31-2012, 05:05 PM
:laugh: I'm a Yankee but I might just join you.

We might just let ya :)