PDA

View Full Version : Female university students - drunk in "record time"

Adelaide
12-31-2012, 06:05 PM
"The amount drunk per unit of time is higher among women. In other words, even though male students drink more often, females do so more intensively in shorter periods of time, which is known as binge drinking," explained José Mª Cancela Carral, co-author of the study published by the Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health.

Researchers randomly selected 985 students from different degree courses and in different years at the University of Vigo.

Of the females interviewed, 51.2% lead a sedentary lifestyle, while the percentage in males is 41.7%. When analysing students who maintain an appropriate level of physical activity, 38.6% of males do physical exercise, as opposed to only 20.9% of women.

"We were also surprised by the high consumption of illegal drugs among university students -- 44.9% of men and 30.9% of women -- which we understand could lead to significant future health problems, mainly related to the nervous system," underlined the researcher.

56% of female university students get drunk in record time (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121228084029.htm)

I don't think they needed to do a study on this... common knowledge, I'd think. All you have to do is go to a university bar or a dorm party.

Peter1469
12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
True. I drank a lot in school, but not the shots and the beer bongs; more just slow and steady.

Adelaide
12-31-2012, 06:42 PM
True. I drank a lot in school, but not the shots and the beer bongs; more just slow and steady.

Yeah - I don't know many girls who didn't "double fist" it when they drank, (a drink in each hand). We used to go to this dive bar/club for retro Sundays every Sunday, and I could spend $60 on $2.50 drinks in like, an hour or two, which included several rounds of just shots (bearing in mind that bar watered down their vodka and whiskey, hence the price and 24 drink limit). The guys tended to go much slower and stick to beer.

I definitely don't miss drinking, or being 19. My one friend literally woke up with a clown in her bed once - Halloween 2009. They're married with a kid now, actually.

garyo
12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Does the little Tyke have a rubber nose?

Adelaide
12-31-2012, 06:47 PM

She was actually just really sick with a cold and her nose was bright red, so I made a smartass comment on the Facebook photo about how she must've gotten it from her father.

Peter1469
12-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah - I don't know many girls who didn't "double fist" it when they drank, (a drink in each hand). We used to go to this dive bar/club for retro Sundays every Sunday, and I could spend $60 on $2.50 drinks in like, an hour or two, which included several rounds of just shots (bearing in mind that bar watered down their vodka and whiskey, hence the price and 24 drink limit). The guys tended to go much slower and stick to beer.

I definitely don't miss drinking, or being 19. My one friend literally woke up with a clown in her bed once -Halloween 2009. They're married with a kid now, actually.

Oh well, a happy ending!

roadmaster
12-31-2012, 10:41 PM
I did drink while attending college but not much. All you have to do is to watch just one time at your friends look stupid and do things they usually wouldn't and wake up not knowing what they did the night before and be sick. Told myself at that age I didn't need that much fun. Besides I get mean when I drink. Stopped before I left college. Now I don't have a problem with people drinking a beer or wine ect once in a while. Just be wise and don't become a slave to it.

Adelaide
12-31-2012, 11:27 PM
I did drink while attending college but not much. All you have to do is to watch just one time at your friends look stupid and do things they usually wouldn't and wake up not knowing what they did the night before and be sick. Told myself at that age I didn't need that much fun. Besides I get mean when I drink. Stopped before I left college. Now I don't have a problem with people drinking a beer or wine ect once in a while. Just be wise and don't become a slave to it.

Getting mean is a good reason not to drink - I knew a lot of females who got sad, which is another good reason. If alcohol causes a negative mood than it's best to avoid it. I stopped drinking so as to not interfere with my medications and I haven't really looked back. I drink from time to time but very rarely, and very little when I do and I feel better mentally for it. Plus, hangovers suck, especially when you were in the medical field and have to deal with sights and smells that really do not go well with a hangover.

roadmaster
12-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Getting mean is a good reason not to drink That you are correct won't drink liquor or any thing like that. A beer I did well. I guess I never liked not being in control.

Carygrant
01-01-2013, 02:40 AM

Are there many Yorkshire men in the US ?

garyo
01-01-2013, 06:06 PM
No most chicken Dicks reside in England as I'm sure you're well aware of.