PDA

View Full Version : California passes strictest online privacy law in the country

Peter1469
06-29-2018, 10:47 AM
California passes strictest online privacy law in the country (http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/28/technology/california-consumer-privacy-act/index.html?utm_source=CNN+Five+Things&utm_campaign=45503b211d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_06_29_09_48&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6da287d761-45503b211d-84359481)

I understand what they are doing, I just don't think they know that places like Facebook is free because you give up privacy. So the Cali law will create a pay for Facebook.

Gov. Jerry Brown signed the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 on Thursday, hours after its unanimous approval by the State Assembly and Senate.

The law, which takes effect in 2020, gives consumers sweeping control over their personal data. It grants them the right to know what information companies like Facebook and Google are collecting, why they are collecting it, and who they are sharing it with. Consumers will have the option of barring tech companies from selling their data, and children under 16 must opt into allowing them to even collect their information at all.

Assembly member Ed Chau and state Sen. Robert Hertzberg introduced the legislation on June 21. It drew the support of some privacy advocates including Common Sense Media.

"The state that pioneered the tech revolution is now, rightly, a pioneer in consumer privacy safeguards, and we expect many additional states to follow suit," James P. Steyer, CEO and founder of Common Sense Media, said in a statement. "Today was a huge win and gives consumer privacy advocates a blueprint for success. We look forward to working together with lawmakers across the nation to ensure robust data privacy protections for all Americans."

Also, if a state, or the feds are going to create a law- why have it take effect a couple of years into the future rather than immediately?

Captdon
06-29-2018, 10:56 AM
California passes strictest online privacy law in the country (http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/28/technology/california-consumer-privacy-act/index.html?utm_source=CNN+Five+Things&utm_campaign=45503b211d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_06_29_09_48&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6da287d761-45503b211d-84359481)

I understand what they are doing, I just don't think they know that places like Facebook is free because you give up privacy. So the Cali law will create a pay for Facebook.

Also, if a state, or the feds are going to create a law- why have it take effect a couple of years into the future rather than immediately?

How are they going to enforce it? If Facebook isn't located there how are they going to enforce it?

Peter1469
06-29-2018, 11:02 AM
How are they going to enforce it? If Facebook isn't located there how are they going to enforce it?

Probably the same way Europe enforces its new privacy law. Have you been bombarded with lots of privacy notices from websites over the last couple of months?

MMC
06-29-2018, 05:53 PM
Probably the same way Europe enforces its new privacy law. Have you been bombarded with lots of privacy notices from websites over the last couple of months?
Yep.....quite a few.

Captdon
06-29-2018, 06:37 PM

Yea. I thought the feds were doing something behind my back.