PDA

View Full Version : RAN executive director Rebecca Tarbotton dies in swimming accident

Chloe
01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Huffington Post

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The executive director of San Francisco-based environmental group Rainforest Action Network has died in a swimming accident at a beach near Mexico's Pacific coast resort of Puerto Vallarta, police said Friday.
Rebecca Tarbotton, 39, was swimming Wednesday at a beach about a half hour north of Puerto Vallarta when she was caught by a wave and tossed around, said Adan Leyva, spokesman for Puerto Vallarta municipal police.
Leyva said that paramedics tried to revive her after she was brought ashore, but she was dead by the time she reached the hospital.
In a statement on its website Friday, Rainforest Action Network said Tarbotton — who friends called Becky — was travelling with her husband and friends.
"RAN is heartbroken by our loss of Becky, but we are committed to continuing the course that she set for us," Nell Greenberg, the group's spokeswoman, said. "Focusing on our core purpose of protecting forests, moving the country off of fossil fuels and defending human rights through bold, effective, and innovative environmental corporate campaigns."
A native of Vancouver, British Columbia, Tarbotton took the group's helm in 2010, the first woman to do so.
Rainforest Action Network works with major corporations on environmental projects, and Tarbotton recently brokered an agreement with the Walt Disney Company that changed the way the entertainment giant uses paper, RAN said.
Tarbotton's family said they planned to scatter her ashes off Canada's Hornby Island.

GrassrootsConservative
01-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Who will protect the rainforests?

Chloe
01-01-2013, 07:45 PM
This is really sad. I did a paper about Rainforest Action Network in high school and also recently applied for an internship with them about six month ago. She seemed like a genuinely good person and it's sad to think of how many good things she would have been able to do in the coming years if this accident would not have happened.

DonGlock26
01-01-2013, 10:00 PM
It's sad that a life was lost. But, I suspect many of these advocacy groups are groups of progressive capitalists that make a nice living off of their movements.

Carygrant
01-02-2013, 04:06 AM
It's sad that a life was lost. But, I suspect many of these advocacy groups are groups of progressive capitalists that make a nice living off of their movements.

Like people who get a living from frightening gullible and uninformed people by pretending they are privy to matters that the "unfortunates " do not know about .
Gun ownership and Black violence are popular ways of promoting hysteria --- so I gather .

Peter1469
01-02-2013, 07:24 AM
This is really sad. I did a paper about Rainforest Action Network in high school and also recently applied for an internship with them about six month ago. She seemed like a genuinely good person and it's sad to think of how many good things she would have been able to do in the coming years if this accident would not have happened.

Is this you Chloe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_JPcBwYGmo

Chloe
01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
lol no that is not me. Earth First is a little too out there for my taste.

Peter1469
01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
lol no that is not me. Earth First is a little too out there for my taste.

Still, it makes me laugh!