PDA

View Full Version : Why this attempt to fill a vacancy is not at all analogous to Merrick Garland case

pjohns
07-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Although Democrats and the left (that is really redundant, isn't it?) claim that the nomination of an Associate Justice to the Supreme Court should be delayed until after the midterms, The Washington Post--a center-left newspaper--has pointed out that there are really at least two reasons why that is not the case: (1) It is confusing a mere nomination with a confirmation (Republicans said only that it was about who gets to nominate someone for the bench prior to an upcoming election); and (2) it is clear that Mitch McConnell was referring only to presidential elections.

Here is the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.387dc1aab3bf (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/06/27/democrats-bogus-argument-about-what-the-gop-said-about-supreme-court-nominees-in-an-election-year/?utm_term=.387dc1aab3bf)

Crepitus
07-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Although Democrats and the left (that is really redundant, isn't it?) claim that the nomination of an Associate Justice to the Supreme Court should be delayed until after the midterms, The Washington Post--a center-left newspaper--has pointed out that there are really at least two reasons why that is not the case: (1) It is confusing a mere nomination with a confirmation (Republicans said only that it was about who gets to nominate someone for the bench prior to an upcoming election); and (2) it is clear that Mitch McConnell was referring only to presidential elections.

Here is the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.387dc1aab3bf (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/06/27/democrats-bogus-argument-about-what-the-gop-said-about-supreme-court-nominees-in-an-election-year/?utm_term=.387dc1aab3bf)

A lame excuse for republican hypocrisy.

pjohns
07-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Would you care to elucidate, please?

Or is mere bomb-throwing the best that we might expect of you?

(By the way, I really do not believe that The Washington Post might reasonably be characterized as a "[R]epublican" newspaper...)

Captdon
07-02-2018, 02:38 PM

(By the way, I really do not believe that The Washington Post might reasonably be characterized as a "[R]epublican" newspaper...)

Senseless bomb thrower.

Tahuyaman
07-02-2018, 03:38 PM
There’s plenty of hypocrisy on the Democrat’s side. How many Supreme Court appointments did Obama have during mid term election years? I didn’t see Democrats complaining then. Did you?

Chris
07-02-2018, 04:04 PM

"’tis the sport to have the engineer
Hoist with his own petard."

--Shakespeare, Hamlet

He's done for.

But Dems will find any means of delay.

Tahuyaman
07-02-2018, 04:57 PM
There’s no valid comparisons this situation to the Garland nomination. The same person is going to be making the nomination after the mid term election.

Jeb!
07-02-2018, 08:56 PM
The problem with the way Democrats are acting like they have the votes to block Trump's pick is that there will be 2 or 3 Democrats that will vote for Trump's pick.

Admiral Ackbar
07-02-2018, 09:11 PM

Cut the crying and moaning. Fact number one Trump won the election. Elections matter as we have been advised Lord Almighty Barrack Hussein. This nominee is going through. A few Dems are going to vote for this and here is why.. Trump who always wins is has fixed this so that Dems up for re election in ND and WV especially, have to vote to confirm. If they vote no they have zero chance to be re elected. Dems want this vote after the election so they are not faced with that dilemma. Well too bad for them. They will vote to confirm so they have at least as small chance in Nov.

Once again Trump wins. Leftists crybabies lose. You have 6 more years of this so get used to it.

jimmyz
07-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Harry Reid used the nuclear option and was told at the time the other side would use it against his side. "Well ya wants it... ya gets it!" - The warden in Cool Hand Luke.

IMO My Senators Jeff Flake and John McCain will try to screw Trump over.

Crepitus
07-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Cut the crying and moaning. Fact number one Trump won the election. Elections matter as we have been advised Lord Almighty Barrack Hussein. This nominee is going through. A few Dems are going to vote for this and here is why.. Trump who always wins is has fixed this so that Dems up for re election in ND and WV especially, have to vote to confirm. If they vote no they have zero chance to be re elected. Dems want this vote after the election so they are not faced with that dilemma. Well too bad for them. They will vote to confirm so they have at least as small chance in Nov.

Once again Trump wins. Leftists crybabies lose. You have 6 more years of this so get used to it.

None of that changes what I said.

Just admit it.

Admiral Ackbar
07-02-2018, 09:37 PM

Just admit it.

You sir are flat wrong on every count. You are not making points just making up reasons to whine.

Captdon
07-03-2018, 09:37 AM

Usual horseshit. Justice Kargan was placed on the Court in 2010. That was a mid-term election too. Hypocrite.

Tahuyaman
07-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Harry Reid used the nuclear option and was told at the time the other side would use it against his side. "Well ya wants it... ya gets it!" - The warden in Cool Hand Luke.

IMO My Senators Jeff Flake and John McCain will try to screw Trump over.

Flake has political aspirations for the future. He’ll consider how his vote impacts his future.

Tahuyaman
07-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Just admit it.

Correct, it didn’t change your comment. You said nothing of importance.

As usual.

Captdon
07-03-2018, 05:34 PM
"’tis the sport to have the engineer
Hoist with his own petard."

--Shakespeare, Hamlet

He's done for.

But Dems will find any means of delay.

They really can't. Once McConnell decides on a dat it's a done deal. The liberals now know what they really lost nominating that harradin.