PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What's Your Opinion of Trump?

IMPress Polly
07-18-2018, 05:52 AM
This is very straightforward. I'm just trying to get an updated gauge of where the balance of opinion lies here on tPF. I tried to last week as well, but it didn't work, so I'm trying a different gauge this time. We conducted a poll of our members here using this same gauge about this time last year and I have the results in mind for comparison's sake to see how things have changed over the last year.

Sorry for the limited options, but I'm trying to get some measure of clarity here and, as we saw last week, people will just abuse any neutral option that's included in a poll to death. If you're among the 5% of Americans who still somehow genuinely can't decide whether you approve or disapprove of the Trump presidency, sorry you're being punished, but based on last week's results, there's no choice. Pidgeonhole yourself.

Your votes of public this time as well, so it'll be easy to tell if people are trying to wreck the thread. Just answer honestly. Thanks.

Common
07-18-2018, 06:14 AM
I answered the opposite of you :)

DGUtley
07-18-2018, 06:38 AM
I'm sorry, Polly, but it's never that easy. I like most of what he's done. There's a few things he's done that I don't like. There's a few things he's done that I really don't like and that I've written the WH about. I don't like how he carries himself. I wish he'd be more presidential.

If I had to pick one and only one -- it's easy on SCOTUS alone -- I approve.

Chris
07-18-2018, 06:43 AM
Huh? The thread title asks your opinion of Trump but the poll questions ask about the job he's doing. There's a difference. So, no vote. The persona he presents isn't all that pleasant but I don't care that much. I like his tax cuts, deregulation and court nominations. I dislike his protectionist policy. For the rest, I don't care that much.

Admiral Ackbar
07-18-2018, 06:49 AM
Easy! He is doing fantastic. Hey at least at the meeting with the Russian leader he didn't kiss him on the check (Carter), Give away half of Europe to Communist enslavement (Truman), give the ok to missiles in Cuba (Kennedy), or let them know the President would be able to cave into demands after an election (Barrack Hussein Obama).

Getting us out of TPP, Paris Criminal uhh Climate Accord, NATO paying its fair share. Illegals going back to their shit hole countries, tax cut, markets up, fair trade negotiations, jobs increase, Two conservative SCOTUS justices (third on the way when Ginsburg goes to the dirt nap). What about calling out the Communist/Maoist press corps..Pretty cool all of it.

Imagine the state of affairs had the Old Hag won? We would be looking at this everyday:

Instead of this!

That alone is worth a vote for Trump! HAHA!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Things are awesome. Trump is awesome!

God Bless America and God Bless Donald Trump

nathanbforrest45
07-18-2018, 06:56 AM
As for President Donald Trump personally, I have no opinion since I don't know him personally. However, as president so far he has done most of what I voted for him to do. I see far more positive results from his decisions that negative and if you discount the vitriol from the left about him, his wife, his daughter and his son I see no negative.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 07:52 AM
He's an idiot, a bully, a liar, and a cheat. An absolute embarrassment to the entire United States. He trades short term gain for long term pain with his gift of tax cuts for the wealthy. His foreign policy is a joke. He spends most of his time claiming credit for things he really didn't do. Personally he's a racsist, misogynistic, low intelligence bully who is so limited in scope that his opinion is generally that of the last person he spoke to. And he couldn't negotiate his way out of a paper bag.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Easy! He is doing fantastic. Hey at least at the meeting with the Russian leader he didn't kiss him on the check (Carter), Give away half of Europe to Communist enslavement (Truman), give the ok to missiles in Cuba (Kennedy), or let them know the President would be able to cave into demands after an election (Barrack Hussein Obama).

Getting us out of TPP, Paris Criminal uhh Climate Accord, NATO paying its fair share. Illegals going back to their shit hole countries, tax cut, markets up, fair trade negotiations, jobs increase, Two conservative SCOTUS justices (third on the way when Ginsburg goes to the dirt nap). What about calling out the Communist/Maoist press corps..Pretty cool all of it.

Imagine the state of affairs had the Old Hag won? We would be looking at this everyday:

Instead of this!

That alone is worth a vote for Trump! HAHA!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Things are awesome. Trump is awesome!

God Bless America and God Bless Donald Trump

Remarkably shallow opinion, even for a republican. Congratulations on lowering the bar.

Chris
07-18-2018, 08:00 AM
Remarkably shallow opinion, even for a republican. Congratulations on lowering the bar.

^^An even shallower opinion of an opinion.

Probably raises the bar for liberals. :)

Chris
07-18-2018, 08:00 AM
He's an idiot, a bully, a liar, and a cheat. An absolute embarrassment to the entire United States. He trades short term gain for long term pain with his gift of tax cuts for the wealthy. His foreign policy is a joke. He spends most of his time claiming credit for things he really didn't do. Personally he's a racsist, misogynistic, low intelligence bully who is so limited in scope that his opinion is generally that of the last person he spoke to. And he couldn't negotiate his way out of a paper bag.

I take it you don't like him personally.

Mister D
07-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Let me guess...having anything positive to say about Trump means you are "Right wing". Clever. :rollseyes:

nathanbforrest45
07-18-2018, 08:11 AM

You do realize none of this stands up to scrutiny and is merely one of the vitriolic diatribes so typical of the low information voter.

MMC
07-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Trump is doing a good job. Constitutionally, Economically, Geo Politically, and with shaking things up. I approve of this message. :grin:

Tahuyaman
07-18-2018, 10:46 AM

Shallow? Here's shallow.............

Common
07-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Yeah but whenever you tell us what you think of him, we laugh and think of our first muslim potus obama :)

Tahuyaman
07-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Trump has done a couple of things I disapprove of. The spending bill was one and his attack on Syria was another.

His judicial picks have been excellent. The tax bill passed was excellent. The elimination of ill conceived regulations imposed through the previous president's use of executive orders is excellent. His engagement of North Korea is something which should have happened at least a decade ago. Forcing NATO allies to fulfill their obligations is something which should have been years ago as well.

His words are often uncomfortable or cringe worthy, but his actions are what I think is more important.

DGUtley
07-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Well said.

Captdon
07-18-2018, 11:44 AM

So, that would be a not approve?

DLLS
07-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Well he ain't no Barrack Obama, thank GOD.

Cletus
07-18-2018, 12:08 PM

Polly didn't ask for a self evaluation. She wanted your opinion of the President.

Cletus
07-18-2018, 12:09 PM
I heard him described yesterday (I think it was Dana Perino) as someone who DOES the right things, but SAYS the wrong things.

I think that is pretty close to spot on.

Adelaide
07-18-2018, 12:21 PM
I heard him described yesterday (I think it was Dana Perino) as someone who DOES the right things, but SAYS the wrong things.

I think that is pretty close to spot on.

That's interesting. I think if you removed his Twitter comments and then filtered his comments in other formats, more people would focus on the actual things he accomplishes. He has done some things in office that I think liberals would agree with but I am just not one of them.

Side note, I really like and respect Dana Perino. She caught my attention during election season, early on. She is a Republican that communicates so effectively.

The Xl
07-18-2018, 12:24 PM
I like him spitting in the face of the corrupt establishment and outwardly attacking the credibility, or lack thereof, of the media, intelligence agencies, and much of the state. I like that he's not outwardly angling for war with Russia. Everything else is kind of meh.

Admiral Ackbar
07-18-2018, 12:39 PM

You are wrong. It is not a shallow opinion. It is a well thought out opinion and outlines all the things I think he is doing well. The list is not exhaustive either. Yes his wife is fantastically good looking woman while Bill Clinton's wife is not. Again that is objective fact.

What bothers you is that you know it is all true and deep down you agree with what I have said. It is ok to evolve your positions as you become more educated on matters ( a life long process)

God Bless America, God Bless Donald Trump and God Bless Crepitus

Admiral Ackbar
07-18-2018, 12:52 PM

This is an extremely shallow response. Even from a Maoist Left winger.

NapRover
07-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Approve.
He's carrying the ball, powerfully dragging 11 would-be tacklers along with him. They're all trying to trip him, horse collar him, grab his face mask, etc. Squealing, cursing, screaming---all the while, his teammates are urging him on, every now & then one goes over to the other side. What a spectacle.
Dems lecturing us about patriotism, rule of law, righteousness! Like a Mel Brooks movie!

Mechanic
07-18-2018, 01:11 PM
This is very straightforward. I'm just trying to get an updated gauge of where the balance of opinion lies here on tPF. I tried to last week as well, but it didn't work, so I'm trying a different gauge this time. We conducted a poll of our members here using this same gauge about this time last year and I have the results in mind for comparison's sake to see how things have changed over the last year.

Sorry for the limited options, but I'm trying to get some measure of clarity here and, as we saw last week, people will just abuse any neutral option that's included in a poll to death. If you're among the 5% of Americans who still somehow genuinely can't decide whether you approve or disapprove of the Trump presidency, sorry you're being punished, but based on last week's results, there's no choice. Pidgeonhole yourself.

Your votes of public this time as well, so it'll be easy to tell if people are trying to wreck the thread. Just answer honestly. Thanks.

I have never liked tRump. His position, ha ha, changes hourly and never for the better. So far a lot of rhetoric and very few changes that are positive for Americans. When has he been truthful? 23996

MisterVeritis
07-18-2018, 01:12 PM
I have never liked tRump. His position, ha ha, changes hourly and never for the better. So far a lot of rhetoric and very few changes that are positive for Americans.
Many abnormal people cannot correctly spell Trump's name. Most abnormals have a shallow understanding of what occurs all around them.

Mechanic
07-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Many abnormal people cannot correctly spell Trump's name. Most abnormals have a shallow understanding of what occurs all around them.You misspell it. Rump is what it is.

Admiral Ackbar
07-18-2018, 01:24 PM
You misspell it. Rump is what it is.

Sad that you think childish mocking of a name means anything. Time to grow up and be a man.

Peter1469
07-18-2018, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry, Polly, but it's never that easy. I like most of what he's done. There's a few things he's done that I don't like. There's a few things he's done that I really don't like and that I've written the WH about. I don't like how he carries himself. I wish he'd be more presidential.

If I had to pick one and only one -- it's easy on SCOTUS alone -- I approve.
Agree. If there was approve and disapprove I would have picked that. But the SCOTUS (filling the federal courts) picks top the list of what Trump has done right.

MisterVeritis
07-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Many abnormal people cannot correctly spell Trump's name.

You misspell it. Rump is what it is.
Many abnormals cannot correctly spell Trump's name.

MisterVeritis
07-18-2018, 02:34 PM
I have never liked tRump. His position, ha ha, changes hourly and never for the better. So far a lot of rhetoric and very few changes that are positive for Americans. When has he been truthful? 23996
I wonder if he takes time off so others can catch their breath.

Mechanic
07-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Consider he cannot walk far and always uses a cart. If anyone needs to catch his breath it would be him after he walks to the podium.

MisterVeritis
07-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Consider he cannot walk far and always uses a cart. If anyone needs to catch his breath it would be him after he walks to the podium.
President Trump outworks everyone around him. I thought someone should tell you.

Safety
07-18-2018, 04:57 PM
LoL

jimmyz
07-18-2018, 06:06 PM

UPDATE... In addition to Safety's vacancy, Crepitus also has space to rent in his head for deplorables.

Ethereal
07-18-2018, 06:14 PM
Much of this forum's active membership doesn't want to hear what your opinion of Trump is unless it consists of effusive praise bordering on worship. Anything that deviates from the Trump = God line is considered unacceptable in their mind. Even if you have a record of vigorously defending Trump on certain issues, you are still not allowed to criticize the God-Emperor. And you're definitely not allowed to criticize his subservience towards the Israeli lobby. tPF now stands for "Trump Praise Forum".

Admiral Ackbar
07-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Much of this forum's active membership doesn't want to hear what your opinion of Trump is unless it consists of effusive praise bordering on worship. Anything that deviates from the Trump = God line is considered unacceptable in their mind. Even if you have a record of vigorously defending Trump on certain issues, you are still not allowed to criticize the God-Emperor. And you're definitely not allowed to criticize his subservience towards the Israeli lobby. tPF now stands for "Trump Praise Forum".

So what is your issue?

DLLS
07-18-2018, 06:42 PM
First time I looked it was 75% to 25% now it is 73.08% to 26.92%.

What is happening to Trump's base on this forum? It should be 95% to 5%.

Cletus
07-18-2018, 07:04 PM
So what is your issue?

He needs attention.

Dr. Who
07-18-2018, 08:13 PM

Gee 20 for and 8 against. I think that pretty much sums it up.

Admiral Ackbar
07-18-2018, 08:21 PM

If we were Democrats we would have voted multiple times to fix the poll

Peter1469
07-18-2018, 09:14 PM

A couple of US said their should have been a 3rd option. Like some things, don't like other things.

Dr. Who
07-18-2018, 09:31 PM
A couple of US said their should have been a 3rd option. Like some things, don't like other things.
I think her point was to reflect the general political direction of the forum and why those on the left feel like a few mice showing up at a rather large cat party.

MisterVeritis
07-18-2018, 09:35 PM
I think her point was to reflect the general political direction of the forum and why those on the left feel like a few mice showing up at a rather large cat party.
We are one of the very few cat parties around. Most places have their token conservative.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 09:45 PM
You do realize none of this stands up to scrutiny and is merely one of the vitriolic diatribes so typical of the low information voter.

Sorry but that is incorrect. Not one single thing I said is untrue.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Shallow? Here's shallow.............

You are welcome to disagree or even critique, but not to lie. Nothing about my post is shallow.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Yeah but whenever you tell us what you think of him, we laugh and think of our first muslim potus obama :)

There's another problem. He has contributed significantly to the dumbing down of the population with this kinda nonsense.

Dr. Who
07-18-2018, 09:49 PM
We are one of the very few cat parties around. Most places have their token conservative.

This was supposed to be a balanced forum. It certainly isn't that now. With all of your cat party forums folding, we are receiving an awful lot of refugees. :wink:

Mister D
07-18-2018, 09:53 PM

Does politics now revolve around one Donald Trump? Is this really the prism through which you interpret the political world? Have you lost your mind? Trump has done a number on you.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Polly didn't ask for a self evaluation. She wanted your opinion of the President.

Hey dickweed, when I want shit outta you I will squeeze yer head.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 09:56 PM
This is an extremely shallow response. Even from a Maoist Left winger.

Lol, you know they say imitation is the sincerist form of flattery and here you are copying my posts.

It's nice to have fans.

Tahuyaman
You are welcome to disagree or even critique, but not to lie. Nothing about my post is shallow.

It was incredibly shallow. Predictably redundant as well.

Mister D
This was supposed to be a balanced forum. It certainly isn't that now. With all of your cat party forums folding, we are receiving an awful lot of refugees. :wink:

Do you need validation?

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Many abnormal people cannot correctly spell Trump's name. Most abnormals have a shallow understanding of what occurs all around them.

Please, show us where tRump's name is misspelled.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 09:59 PM
President Trump outworks everyone around him. I thought someone should tell you.

Lol, you mean during "executive time" while he watches fake news and tweets about it?

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 10:00 PM
UPDATE... In addition to Safety's vacancy, Crepitus also has space to rent in his head for deplorables.

Go have another drink Jimmy, the he big kids are talking.

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 10:02 PM

Some of the tRumpkins aren't smart enough to click the right button.

Mister D
07-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Go have another drink Jimmy, the he big kids are talking.

Another one of those days when you post 40 times on a forum you supposedly abandoned?

Crepitus
07-18-2018, 10:05 PM

Screw that, I may be out numbered but I'm the dog at this party.

gamewell45
07-18-2018, 10:07 PM
I'll be honest, I never wanted Trump to be President; not because he was a republican but because of his background and perceived character issues and finally because I didn't think he had what it would take to be a successful president. But on the other hand I couldn't see Hillary as President because of her background, so there was no way I could support her for President.

When Trump got elected I honestly hoped that he would prove me wrong. He didn't, thus convincing me that my decision to vote for the person I thought was the right one was the correct choice after all.

The bottom line is that he is the president like it or not until at least 2020 so we'd better get used to it and work to get your choice for President (whomever it may be) elected when the current presidential term expires.

Dr. Who
07-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Does politics now revolve around one Donald Trump? Is this really the prism through which you interpret the political world? Have you lost your mind? Trump has done a number on you.
LOL. Whenever a lefty posts on this forum, they either get insults or dismissive responses. That's not why people come to forums. There is supposed to be give and take. Lately here, there is little more than take.

BTW Docthehun says goodbye and thanks for all the fish. Another member fed up with the lack of good faith argument and unwilling to turn into a troll and he's a long-standing Republican who simply doesn't appreciate the wonders of Trump the Magnificent.

This forum should soon be renamed after its glorious leader, featuring his face on the banner. Perhaps the Trump Forum - then we won't have to change the initials. We can replace all the stars with $ signs. The place will have to feature a lot of red and gold - he doesn't do tasteful or subtle.

Dr. Who
07-18-2018, 10:14 PM
Screw that, I may be out numbered but I'm the dog at this party.

Woof! Watch out for the switchblades. Cats always go for the face.

Peter1469
07-18-2018, 10:16 PM

I would think that you would not consider someone who likes but dislikes some things to be a cat.

nathanbforrest45
07-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Some of the tRumpkins aren't smart enough to click the right button.

Is there a special school you attended to become a full blown azzhole or are you just an idiot savant?

Dr. Who
07-18-2018, 10:36 PM
I would think that you would not consider someone who likes but dislikes some things to be a cat.
They would be an extreme minority at the party and their cattitude would be called into question.

Adelaide
07-18-2018, 10:43 PM
It is interesting that half of those that "approve" are new members from the last couple of weeks.

Safety
07-18-2018, 10:45 PM

Didn't need a poll to know this place is where Trump's jockstrap is hung to air out.

nathanbforrest45
07-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Didn't need a poll to know this place is where Trump's jockstrap is hung to air out.

It wasn't long ago this site was rabidly pro Democrat. If it changed its only because your side wimped out and scurried off to your safe place.

Safety
07-18-2018, 10:49 PM
It wasn't long ago this site was rabidly pro Democrat. If it changed its only because your side wimped out and scurried off to your safe place.

I still remember your whine about how unbearable this place would be for you if Hillary won. Stop being a snowflake and man up.

Adelaide
07-18-2018, 10:52 PM

Hey dickweed, when I want shit outta you I will squeeze yer head.

Is there a special school you attended to become a full blown azzhole or are you just an idiot savant?

Thread banned for insults and/or discussing each other rather than discussing the topic.

Dr. Who
07-18-2018, 11:22 PM

Nope. I did a count back then and it's never been this unbalanced except when the forum started with mostly all right-leaning members who all pretty much came from another defunct forum. The only difference before the election is that some of the lefties were highly prolific posters, so it may have seemed like there was an imbalance.

Dr. Who
07-18-2018, 11:32 PM
It is interesting that half of those that "approve" are new members from the last couple of weeks.
Many others who are pro Trump have yet to vote. I can think of at least five offhand.

Common
07-19-2018, 12:03 AM
remember the days when it was 30 against 4 reversed :)

Dr. Who
07-19-2018, 12:11 AM
remember the days when it was 30 against 4 reversed :)
I think that you are misremembering. There was never a time when there were only four conservatives on this forum. In fact, I would suggest that there were always slightly more conservatives than liberals at all times. However, a number of our liberals were very prolific posters.

Common
07-19-2018, 12:11 AM
Remember when the entire forum was left including most of the mod and advisor rooms.

Dr. Who
07-19-2018, 12:26 AM
Remember when the entire forum was left including most of the mod and advisor rooms.
The entire forum wasn't left. There were more liberals in the Mod and VIP because they were generally better behaved. VIPs and Mods were generally chosen (at least from 2013 until 2017) based on their ability to adhere to forum rules. The membership however, was balanced. I can't speak to what has transpired since I left Moderation, other than the fact that the forum was already shifting right at that point.

Common
07-19-2018, 12:28 AM
This forum was NEVER balanced in the 5 yrs I was here, and it wasnt balanced when a ton of conservatives left here and went to trinns. It wasnt balance when left wing posters,trolled any thread they didnt like with insulting pictures and stupid repeat comments and derailed every thread they didnt like and followed posters thread to thread relentllessly

This place is unbalanced because posters on the left didnt like getting back what they gave. They had a blast during the Obama years. They had a blast with the russians are coming then when all their dire predictions proved wrong, like trump will be impeached in 6 months and be in prison in a year and they ran out of ammunition they got their feelings hurt.

Go read the infractions and ban list countem up those on the right and those on the left.

They should have stood their ground like the conservatives did when the left hammered them relelentlessly with obama praises and the left was the majority here. They left on their own because they werent dominating the conversation anymore.

We have 4 mods two liberal mods and two conservative. Everything is by consensus nothing has changed. We go by reports and what we see, nothing has changed. The admin would never allow any biased moderation

Hal Jordan
07-19-2018, 12:29 AM
Yeah but whenever you tell us what you think of him, we laugh and think of our first muslim potus obama :)Say what you want about how he was as President, but he definitely was no muslim. Based on his actions, that would have made him the worst muslim in history.

Coming to you from the depths of inner space

Common
07-19-2018, 12:36 AM
The entire forum wasn't left. There were more liberals in the Mod and VIP because they were generally better behaved. VIPs and Mods were generally chosen (at least from 2013 until 2017) based on their ability to adhere to forum rules. The membership however, was balanced. I can't speak to what has transpired since I left Moderation, other than the fact that the forum was already shifting right at that point.
There were more liberals in the advisor room because a conservative couldnt get nominated and elected. Advisors were chosen because of their Politics first and foremost and by favoritism.

Doc if you want a long list of left wing posters that trolled this forum relentlessly, insulted other posters they didnt like and derailed every thread they didnt like and followed posters around just to derail their threads and posts. PM me you know them all very well, Ill refresh your memory.

The biggest untruth I have ever heard you utter was that left wing posters were better behaved here.

Ethereal
07-19-2018, 04:08 AM
He needs attention.

About 30% of the threads you've started since you arrived here consist of nothing more than you whining about the forum and trying to get your way. Time to take a long, serious look in the mirror, little Cletus.

Safety
07-19-2018, 05:32 AM
There were more liberals in the advisor room because a conservative couldnt get nominated and elected. Advisors were chosen because of their Politics first and foremost and by favoritism.

Doc if you want a long list of left wing posters that trolled this forum relentlessly, insulted other posters they didnt like and derailed every thread they didnt like and followed posters around just to derail their threads and posts. PM me you know them all very well, Ill refresh your memory.

The biggest untruth I have ever heard you utter was that left wing posters were better behaved here.

No, you are not only wrong, but nowhere near the ballpark. The reason there were so many "liberal" advisors is because they knew how to behave and act, without the blatant insults you'd see from your typical conservative. That's the only reason, not some imaginary soft coup from the liberal cabal.

Safety
07-19-2018, 05:34 AM
This forum was NEVER balanced in the 5 yrs I was here, and it wasnt balanced when a ton of conservatives left here and went to trinns. It wasnt balance when left wing posters,trolled any thread they didnt like with insulting pictures and stupid repeat comments and derailed every thread they didnt like and followed posters thread to thread relentllessly

This place is unbalanced because posters on the left didnt like getting back what they gave. They had a blast during the Obama years. They had a blast with the russians are coming then when all their dire predictions proved wrong, like trump will be impeached in 6 months and be in prison in a year and they ran out of ammunition they got their feelings hurt.

Go read the infractions and ban list countem up those on the right and those on the left.

They should have stood their ground like the conservatives did when the left hammered them relelentlessly with obama praises and the left was the majority here. They left on their own because they werent dominating the conversation anymore.

We have 4 mods two liberal mods and two conservative. Everything is by consensus nothing has changed. We go by reports and what we see, nothing has changed. The admin would never allow any biased moderation

Wow...just wow. There really is something to this alternative facts phenomenon.

IMPress Polly
07-19-2018, 05:52 AM
Based on 24 hours of responses, so far we have...

21 Trump supporters (70%)
9 Trump opponents (30%)

This thread has been a success so far! This poll has already managed to garner 11 more votes than the other one did and the tentative outcome thereof above seems about right. Most everyone has voted and has managed to take a position when forced to. Not one person's vote so far has surprised me. Although I can still think of some people who haven't yet voted, even factoring their predictable votes in, our active membership appears to have diminished by about one-third over the last year, and it appears to mainly be Trump opponents who have left.

This tentative outcome bears no resemblance to overall public opinion in the United States. Even the most Trump-friendly outcome we've seen emerge from the last month of national polling, the Fox News poll (stunning that it would be that one, huh?), finds that the president's overall job performance is approved of by 46% of Americans and the disapproved of by 51%. That again is his best poll result out of the last month.

Ethereal
07-19-2018, 06:10 AM

9 Trump opponents (30%)

This thread has been a success so far! This poll has already managed to garner 11 more votes than the other one did and the tentative outcome thereof above seems about right. Most everyone has voted and has managed to take a position when forced to. Not one person's vote so far has surprised me. Although I can still think of some people who haven't yet voted, even factoring their predictable votes in, our active membership appears to have diminished by about one-third over the last year, and it appears to mainly be Trump opponents who have left.

This tentative outcome bears no resemblance to overall public opinion in the United States. Even the most Trump-friendly outcome we've seen come out in the last month of national polling, the Fox News poll (stunning that it would be that one, huh?), finds that the president's overall job performance is approved of by 46% of Americans and the disapproved of by 51%. That again is his best poll result out of the last month.

I can't vote because my opinion on Trump is mixed. But I totally agree that the poll results reflect a deterioration in this forum's balance and diversity.

IMPress Polly
07-19-2018, 06:45 AM
I can't vote because my opinion on Trump is mixed. But I totally agree that the poll results reflect a deterioration in this forum's balance and diversity.

You were among a small group of people who's opinion I was actually unsure of. It did seem to me that your view of President Trump had gone from generally supportive to mixed at best over the last year.

My opinion has never been mixed. Not long ago I seized upon the opportunity to list just a few of my points of objection to the current administration (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/99135-My-Score-Card-On-Trump?p=2378559&viewfull=1#post2378559). I will re-post them below:

I dislike the "zero tolerance" border policy.
I dislike our recent withdrawal from the UN Human Rights Council.
I dislike the over-generalized trade war Trump has put us in.
I dislike both of his Supreme Court nominations.
I dislike Trump's repeatedly-stated ambition to terminate our support for the Kurdish fighters in Syria within the year because a certain other country that controls the current Syrian regime wants us to.
I dislike the completely ridiculous travel/Muslim ban.
I dislike the ongoing efforts manifestly to dismantle the EU (e.g. official calls from Trump for a "hard Brexit", for France to leave the EU, obsessive attacks on the government of Germany, etc.) because a certain other regime helped him become president (just saying).
I dislike his abolition of Obama-era limits on coal plant and automobile pollution and withdrawing us from the Paris Accord on climate change.
I dislike Trump's reinstatement of the drug war.
I dislike his withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal and pullback from our diplomatic rapprochement with Cuba.
I dislike the ongoing dismantling of the Affordable Care Act that's raising health insurance premiums beyond the increases that would otherwise be incurred.
I dislike the latest unnecessary tax giveaway to corporate America and the impact it's unsurprisingly having on the budget situation.
I dislike the still-further increased rate of military spending.
I dislike Trump's successful censorship of NFL players calling attention to police shootings and his calls for the censorship of the press in general.
I dislike everything about Trump's personal background (born into wealth, beauty pageants, real estate dealings, general con artistry (e.g. Trump University), curious connections to the Mob, what we unsurprisingly learned from that infamous Access Hollywood recording, etc.) and belligerent personality ad nauseum.
To these objections I will also add that I furthermore opposed moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem and stand in complete opposition to the Trump Administration's ongoing advancement of school privatization. And this is by no means an exhaustive list of my objections either.

And while I know you don't agree with this particular perspective, I will also restate that I don't think Trump is an idiot like many of his critics do. I think he is a malign actor who is, and was always, controlled by a certain foreign government and using his presidential authority to act in the interests of that hostile foreign power by undermining our relationships with the rest of the Western world, the progressive Kurdish fighters in Syria, and beyond. I think we have seem the symptoms of that demonstrated anew over the last two weeks, but especially the last one.

Ethereal
07-19-2018, 07:02 AM
You were among a small group of people who's opinion I was actually unsure of. It did seem to me that your view of President Trump had gone from generally supportive to mixed at best over the last year.

My opinion has never been mixed. Not long ago I seized upon the opportunity to list just a few of my points of objection to the current administration (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/99135-My-Score-Card-On-Trump?p=2378559&viewfull=1#post2378559). I will re-post them below:

I dislike Trump's repeatedly-stated ambition to terminate our support for the Kurdish fighters in Syria within the year because a certain other country that controls the current Syrian regime wants us to.
I dislike the ongoing efforts manifestly to dismantle the EU (e.g. official calls from Trump for a "hard Brexit", for France to leave the EU, obsessive attacks on the government of Germany, etc.) because a certain other regime helped him become president (just saying).
I dislike his abolition of Obama-era limits on coal plant and automobile pollution and withdrawing us from the Paris Accord on climate change.
I dislike his withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal and pullback from our diplomatic rapprochement with Cuba.
I dislike the ongoing dismantling of the Affordable Care Act that's raising health insurance premiums beyond the increases that would otherwise be incurred.
I dislike the latest unnecessary tax giveaway to corporate America and the impact it's unsurprisingly having on the budget situation.
I dislike Trump's successful censorship of NFL players calling attention to police shootings and his calls for the censorship of the press in general.
I dislike everything about Trump's personal background (born into wealth, beauty pageants, real estate dealings, general con artistry (e.g. Trump University), curious connections to the Mob, what we unsurprisingly learned from that infamous Access Hollywood recording, etc.) and belligerent personality ad nauseum.
To these objections I will also add that I furthermore opposed moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem and stand in complete opposition to the Trump Administration's ongoing advancement of school privatization. And this is by no means an exhaustive list of my objections either.

And while I know you don't agree with this particular perspective, I will also restate that I don't think Trump is an idiot like many of his critics do. I think he is a malign actor who is, and was always, controlled by a certain foreign government and using his presidential authority to act in the interests of that hostile foreign power by undermining our relationships with the rest of the Western world, the progressive Kurdish fighters in Syria, and beyond. I think we have seem the symptoms of that demonstrated anew over the last two weeks, but especially the last one.
My opinion on Trump has remained largely unchanged. I just dislike that the forum is becoming an echo chamber for the most belligerent and obnoxious subset of Trump supporters. I still believe the Russian "collusion" narrative to be a transparent fiction concocted by Trump's enemies. However, I find myself less motivated to defend Trump on that front on account of always having to defend myself on other fronts, like Trump's servility towards Israel or his penchant for extravagant military spending.

Common
07-19-2018, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=Safety;2383411]Wow...just wow. There really is something to this alternative facts phenomenon.[/QUO

/ignore

Common
07-19-2018, 07:40 AM
No, you are not only wrong, but nowhere near the ballpark. The reason there were so many "liberal" advisors is because they knew how to behave and act, without the blatant insults you'd see from your typical conservative. That's the only reason, not some imaginary soft coup from the liberal cabal.
If im going to discuss anything with anyone on this board besides political drivel, I would have to be able to at least assume some level of honesty, therefore /ignore

Chris
07-19-2018, 07:42 AM

9 Trump opponents (30%)

This tentative outcome bears no resemblance to overall public opinion in the United States. Even the most Trump-friendly outcome we've seen emerge from the last month of national polling, the Fox News poll (stunning that it would be that one, huh?), finds that the president's overall job performance is approved of by 46% of Americans and the disapproved of by 51%. That again is his best poll result out of the last month.

What can you possibly mean by success?

Ethereal
07-19-2018, 07:45 AM
What can you possibly mean by success?
She explained herself pretty clearly.

Common
07-19-2018, 07:46 AM
I dislike things that Trump has done, I dislike his tweeting and I dislike his not being Presidential. I do not like everything hes done by a long shot.

I dont see anything wrong with trying tariffs to lesson the trade deficit with certain countries, if it doesnt work they are easily erased. Its better than doing absolutely nothing.

Trying to get Industrialized nations pay their fair share of nato speaks for itself.

Trying to stop illegal immigration is a no brainer.

Mostly I support him because the left never gave him a chance from the campaign and lie about him and what he does religiously.

Most of what they left doesnt like is Trumps agenda that is not theirs thats they way it is with ALL presidents.

First and Foremost hes not Hillary and she would have been as destructive a President as Obama

So no I dont like everything about trump but hes better than what we had and what we couldve gotten

Chris
07-19-2018, 08:06 AM
She explained herself pretty clearly.

That she got more votes in this poll than the other. Oh. :icon_scratch:

Chris
07-19-2018, 08:08 AM
I dislike things that Trump has done, I dislike his tweeting and I dislike his not being Presidential. I do not like everything hes done by a long shot.

I dont see anything wrong with trying tariffs to lesson the trade deficit with certain countries, if it doesnt work they are easily erased. Its better than doing absolutely nothing.

Trying to get Industrialized nations pay their fair share of nato speaks for itself.

Trying to stop illegal immigration is a no brainer.

Mostly I support him because the left never gave him a chance from the campaign and lie about him and what he does religiously.

Most of what they left doesnt like is Trumps agenda that is not theirs thats they way it is with ALL presidents.

First and Foremost hes not Hillary and she would have been as destructive a President as Obama

So no I dont like everything about trump but hes better than what we had and what we couldve gotten

I think if you go through the thread that's what you find among non-liberals, mixed reaction to Trump's policies.

Common
07-19-2018, 08:31 AM
I think if you go through the thread that's what you find among non-liberals, mixed reaction to Trump's policies.
The tax cuts, I dont handle the money in my house, my wife does and has for our entire marriage because shes alot smarter than I am and has tons more self control and shes just damn good at it.

I was in a discussion with @Docthehun (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1986) about the tax cuts at the time of that discussion I didnt k now that my income which I have taxs taken out of monthly had gone up over sharply per month right after the tax cuts because they are taking out less taxs. I still will have to wait until this years taxs is done to see the end result.

Thats why I didnt say whether I was for or against the tax cuts. If it turns out that the tax cuts only benefit Corporations and the very rich then I will be firmly against them.

NO liberals that will not be enough for me to vote democrat :)

Helena
07-19-2018, 08:34 AM
I don't understand what exactly this poll is trying to prove? That something on this forum is unfair because OVERALL, a majority of members took your poll exactly as worded, ON BALANCE and gave Trump an approval rating?

Is that what's going on here? Trump supporters outnumber non-Trump supporters on this forum and... what? We're supposed to tone it down for you? Make you feel more comfortable?

donttread
07-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Some of each of course.

Chris
07-19-2018, 08:47 AM
The tax cuts, I dont handle the money in my house, my wife does and has for our entire marriage because shes alot smarter than I am and has tons more self control and shes just damn good at it.

I was in a discussion with @Docthehun (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1986) about the tax cuts at the time of that discussion I didnt k now that my income which I have taxs taken out of monthly had gone up over sharply per month right after the tax cuts because they are taking out less taxs. I still will have to wait until this years taxs is done to see the end result.

Thats why I didnt say whether I was for or against the tax cuts. If it turns out that the tax cuts only benefit Corporations and the very rich then I will be firmly against them.

NO liberals that will not be enough for me to vote democrat :)

I only paid attention to my tax refund check which increased significantly. Take home, I just make sure the check deposits.

Still, I am for any tax cut. Doesn't matter it improves the economy, worsens the debt. It's our money.

Safety
07-19-2018, 09:03 AM
If im going to discuss anything with anyone on this board besides political drivel, I would have to be able to at least assume some level of honesty, therefore /ignoreAll you just said is that you expect a different standard for others than you employ for yourself. Let me find my shocked face.

Common
07-19-2018, 09:17 AM
All you just said is that you expect a different standard for others than you employ for yourself. Let me find my shocked face.

/ignore

Common
07-19-2018, 09:19 AM
I don't understand what exactly this poll is trying to prove? That something on this forum is unfair because OVERALL, a majority of members took your poll exactly as worded, ON BALANCE and gave Trump an approval rating?

Is that what's going on here? Trump supporters outnumber non-Trump supporters on this forum and... what? We're supposed to tone it down for you? Make you feel more comfortable?
I suppose the poll was to try and determine the make up of the forum Left to Right. There was a comment made that the result of this poll says alot about the makeup of the forum, meaning more conservatives than liberals.

What wasnt mentioned that two short years ago the poll would have been reversed with possibly even a bigger disparity

Sometimes its left, sometimes its right, sometimes you eat the bear sometimes the bear eats you.

Its called Life

Chris
07-19-2018, 09:29 AM

I think that's it.

Problem is you can't really tie Trump to conservatism, let alone Republicans, as he has always been a liberal.

If you look at replies, most liberals hate the man, most of the rest of us have mixed reactions to his policies.

If anything it demonstrates lot of liberals have run away.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 11:56 AM

There are disaproving comments on this thread about Trump.

Your continuing anti-Semiticism is duly noted.

IMPress Polly
07-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Common wrote:
What wasnt mentioned that two short years ago the poll would have been reversed with possibly even a bigger disparity

I don't think so. In my observation, tPF has always been a right-leaning place. The extent of the lean has increased though.

Captdon wrote:
Your continuing anti-Semiticism is duly noted.

Really, Captdon? If you don't support everything the state of Israel does to the people of Palestine, you're an anti-Semite?

Chris wrote:
Problem is you can't really tie Trump to conservatism, let alone Republicans, as he has always been a liberal.

Pffffff! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks for posting that. I needed a good laugh today.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:21 PM

Consider his age.

Abby08
07-19-2018, 12:22 PM

Still, I'm thankful it IS he who walks to the podium and not Hillary.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:25 PM

That's it exactly. Now, you might not believe this but I'm going to vote for a Governor and a House member this year. Neither of them is Trump.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Lol, you know they say imitation is the sincerist form of flattery and here you are copying my posts.

It's nice to have fans.

I've always been a big fan of yours. I wish you were more active. I miss your brilliant responses. I admit I don't care for your sidekick but that's just a minor fault.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:33 PM

No, it really shouldn't be. That's not a forum it's a waste of time. As much as I get on the liberals they make me think about my opinions. I'm hard on them and expect the same from them. i don;t think it should be 50-50 but i like that it isn't 95-5.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:36 PM

You would find a solid wall of hate among liberals. That's the sad part. You can't deal with hate.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:40 PM
LOL. Whenever a lefty posts on this forum, they either get insults or dismissive responses. That's not why people come to forums. There is supposed to be give and take. Lately here, there is little more than take.

BTW Docthehun says goodbye and thanks for all the fish. Another member fed up with the lack of good faith argument and unwilling to turn into a troll and he's a long-standing Republican who simply doesn't appreciate the wonders of Trump the Magnificent.

This forum should soon be renamed after its glorious leader, featuring his face on the banner. Perhaps the Trump Forum - then we won't have to change the initials. We can replace all the stars with $ signs. The place will have to feature a lot of red and gold - he doesn't do tasteful or subtle.

If you can't defend what you believe you should examine those beliefs and not the nay sayers. I can't imagine being run off by liberals.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Many others who are pro Trump have yet to vote. I can think of at least five offhand.

How do you know how anyone voted? It wasn't your poll.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:48 PM

I think your list is straight from the DNC. It's also the reason you aren't winning any more.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:52 PM
I only paid attention to my tax refund check which increased significantly. Take home, I just make sure the check deposits.

Still, I am for any tax cut. Doesn't matter it improves the economy, worsens the debt. It's our money.

That was based on last year's tax rate. The cuts didn't take effect until this year.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 12:55 PM
All you just said is that you expect a different standard for others than you employ for yourself. Let me find my shocked face.

Well, I don't have any expectations from you if that helps you.I know what your going to say every time.

Chris
07-19-2018, 01:01 PM
I don't think so. In my observation, tPF has always been a right-leaning place. The extent of the lean has increased though.

Really, Captdon? If you don't support everything the state of Israel does to the people of Palestine, you're an anti-Semite?

Pffffff! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks for posting that. I needed a good laugh today.

Trump is not conservative. You just can't put him or anyone else in one of your nice neat little boxes.

Captdon
07-19-2018, 01:03 PM

No. He's an anti-Semite for whatever reasons he has. He can't even define Zionism but claims this country is run by them. Shades of the Nazi propaganda. He's not the only one but he doesn't try to sugarcoat it. Israel has been attacked every day of it's existence. How anyone can defend the terrorists that the Palestinians are is beyond me.

Mark III
07-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Trump is not conservative. You just can't put him or anyone else in one of your nice neat little boxes.

You actually defend Trump after all that has been going on? Jesus, what the hell happened to you?

Chris
07-19-2018, 01:06 PM
You actually defend Trump after all that has been going on? Jesus, what the hell happened to you?

Calling Trump a liberal is defending him? What happened to you?

Mark III
07-19-2018, 01:09 PM
I didn't vote because "worthless" wasn't one of the choices.

Dr. Who
07-19-2018, 04:58 PM

I didn't say all left-wing posters, but those selected for the VIP and Moderation.

Dr. Who
07-19-2018, 05:11 PM
If you can't defend what you believe you should examine those beliefs and not the nay sayers. I can't imagine being run off by liberals.
I have more patience than most, that's all. However, I have noticed a deterioration in actual conversation.

Chris
07-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Seems the leftwingers have created another thread to cry in.

AZ Jim
07-19-2018, 05:25 PM
Seems the leftwingers have created another thread to cry in.YOU should be crying and will on day soon, moron....

Chris
07-19-2018, 05:52 PM
YOU should be crying and will on day soon, moron....

Poor Jim.

IMPress Polly
07-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Seems the leftwingers have created another thread to cry in.

Actually, as I plainly stated in the OP, quote: "I'm just trying to get an updated gauge of where the balance of opinion lies here on tPF." It amazes me how something as simple as that can be turned into a plot in your imagination.

Chris
07-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Actually, as I plainly stated in the OP, quote: "I'm just trying to get an updated gauge of where the balance of opinion lies here on tPF." It amazes me how something as simple as that can be turned into a plot in your imagination.

Plot? Where do you get that from what I said?

You and other lefties have turned a dumb poll into a whining fest.

I doubt it was planned. It's just what the left does.

IMPress Polly
07-19-2018, 06:25 PM
Plot? Where do you get that from what I said?

You and other lefties have turned a dumb poll into a whining fest.

I doubt it was planned. It's just what the left does.
You said, and I quote: "Seems the leftwingers have created another thread to cry in." Clearly implied in this statement is the idea that the thread's creation was devised by more than one person (nope, it wasn't!) for the express intention of creating a "whining fest" from the outset (yeah okay).

I have to point that out because pretending that you said something you didn't is, as you would say, what you do.

Common
07-19-2018, 06:32 PM
Polly that statement wasnt refering to you or your thread, it was directed at the responses by some within the thread :)

DLLS
07-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Trump is losing support. Mods are you sure the Russians haven't hacked into the system?

Chris
07-19-2018, 06:36 PM
You said, and I quote: "Seems the leftwingers have created another thread to cry in." Clearly implied in this statement is the idea that the thread's creation was devised by more than one person (nope, it wasn't!) for the express intention of creating a "whining fest" from the outset (yeah okay).

I have to point that out because pretending that you said something you didn't is, as you would say, what you do.

I just told you it wasn't intended that way and you double down and insist you know better than me what I intended?

That seems to be a standard lefty trait.

As common just pointed out I was commenting on the many leftist posts in this thread decrying how unfair the forum is.

Boohoo.

Chris
07-19-2018, 06:38 PM
My thoughts on the poll can be found in post #4. That explains why I didn't vote in it.

IMPress Polly
07-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Chris wrote:
I just told you it wasn't intended that way and you double down and insist you know better than me what I intended?

I know what backtracking is. I can tell when one post contradicts the last. But whatever. Moving on!

Chris
07-19-2018, 06:44 PM
I know what backtracking is. I can tell when one post contradicts the last. But whatever. Moving on!

Except I haven't backtracked. You have twisted words. Another lefty trait.

Dr. Who
07-19-2018, 06:45 PM
How do you know how anyone voted? It wasn't your poll.
Click on the blue numbers and you will see who voted for whom.

IMPress Polly
07-20-2018, 05:23 AM
48 hours after this poll was posted, it's starting to look like everyone who is going to vote has done so, as the vote total is the same this morning as last night before I went to bed. So far we have:

24 Trump supporters (68.57%)
11 Trump opponents (31.43%)

This suggests that our active membership has decreased by 27% over the last year (35 votes versus 48 in a comparable survey of our members conducted around this same time last year) and that it's mostly Trump opponents who have left. The most significant thing here is that Trump supporters outnumber opponents by a margin of more than 2 to 1, which bears no resemblance to the outcomes of even the Trump-friendliest national opinion surveys on the same topic. I think that we would also notice that an enthusiasm gap exists on top of that as well, as a great many threads on this message board anymore feature the comments of not a single person who is recorded in the latter category, or at most one such contributor per thread.

stjames1_53
07-20-2018, 05:31 AM

I'd bet a shiny new quarter you've already spent your increased income tax return.................jes sayin'

stjames1_53
07-20-2018, 05:31 AM
48 hours after this poll was posted, it's starting to look like everyone who is going to vote has done so, as the vote total is the same this morning as last night before I went to bed. So far we have:

This suggests that our active membership has decreased by 27% over the last year (35 votes versus 48 in a comparable survey of our members conducted around this same time last year) and that it's mostly Trump opponents who have left. The most significant thing here is that Trump supporters outnumber opponents by a margin of more than 2 to 1, which bears no resemblance to the outcomes of even the Trump-friendliest national opinion surveys on the same topic. I think that we would also notice that an enthusiasm gap exists on top of that as well, as a great many threads on this message board anymore feature the comments of not a single person who is recorded in the latter category, or at most one such contributor per thread.

I didn't vote in your stupid poll because it's a loaded question. you're fishing..............

IMPress Polly
07-20-2018, 06:37 AM
I didn't vote in your stupid poll because it's a loaded question. you're fishing..............

How is asking people whether they, on balance, approve or disapprove of the job Trump is doing as U.S. president a "loaded question"?

I think a great many of my detractors here are just looking for ways to be offended by everything I say and do, you not least of all.

MMC
07-20-2018, 06:43 AM
I'm sure at PH, DP, PF, and US Messageboard those numbers are reversed. Favoring all the leftness that doesn't approve of Trump and the job he is doing. Oh and the Never Trumpers from the Right. (can't forget about the Left's patsies) There, they out number Trump supporters like 4-1.

Chris
07-20-2018, 08:06 AM

In order to fit people in your two nice neat little boxes you have to ignore what they posted, especially the mixed responses of those on the right--the left just hates the man.

IMPress Polly
07-20-2018, 11:18 AM
I'm sure at PH, DP, PF, and US Messageboard those numbers are reversed. Favoring all the leftness that doesn't approve of Trump and the job he is doing. Oh and the Never Trumpers from the Right. (can't forget about the Left's patsies) There, they out number Trump supporters like 4-1.

I may have to check those places out again then because last I visited US Message Board, Trump and the Republicans were very popular there. Though it has been about a year since last I bothered to look.

Jets
07-20-2018, 11:46 AM
Not sure how to answer, the question is very subjective.

Captdon
07-20-2018, 11:54 AM

You misread the post. The left took your legitimate thread and changed it into a leftist crying thread.

Captdon
07-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Click on the blue numbers and you will see who voted for whom.

Thank you.

Chris
07-20-2018, 12:05 PM
How is asking people whether they, on balance, approve or disapprove of the job Trump is doing as U.S. president a "loaded question"?

I think a great many of my detractors here are just looking for ways to be offended by everything I say and do, you not least of all.

Telling you your poll is stupid makes someone one of your "detractors"? See, I just don't get how criticism of a poll is taken as a personal attack. Just another leftist trait, I suppose.

Chloe
07-20-2018, 12:19 PM
I think it’s a little silly to try and present a case that Trump’s agenda isn’t a combination of republican, conservative, and populist agenda and that he isn’t the figurehead and leader for republicans and conservatives right now. If you support his goals and agenda then you certainly are much more identifiable as the right then you are the left even if you don’t agree with everything he does or says. Even a libertarian or moderate that voted for Trump and supports the majority of his policy decisions would clearly fall on the right hand political spectrum. I don’t reallly see how that’s so baffling.

Chris
07-20-2018, 12:23 PM
I think it’s a little silly to try and present a case that Trump’s agenda isn’t a combination of republican, conservative, and populist agenda and that he isn’t the figurehead and leader for republicans and conservatives right now. If you support his goals and agenda then you certainly are much more identifiable as the right then you are the left even if you don’t agree with everything he does or says. Even a libertarian or moderate that voted for Trump and supports the majority of his policy decisions would clearly fall on the right hand political spectrum. I don’t reallly see how that’s so baffling.

Take tariffs, please. Those are traditionally liberal progressive policies. Obama used them. Clinton promised to. Sanders, too, against free trade.

Trump has always been liberal. He's great friends with Bill and Hillary.

Suddenly he's a conservatve leader?

The other criticism of what's concluded by the OP about the poll is most of those who on balance side with Trump gave him mixed reviews, liked this policy, not that. That is completely ignored.

I think the only thing that makes him seem conservative is so many liberals hate him as a person.

Chloe
07-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Take tariffs, please. Those are traditionally liberal progressive policies. Obama used them. Clinton promised to. Sanders, too, against free trade.

Now list all the things he’s done that have satisfied the right, including Supreme Court justices. You can cherry pick one offs of each president that a chunk of his base felt wasn’t completely pure but that doesn’t change the majority of that presidents policy decisions that fall in line.

Chris
07-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Now list all the things he’s done that have satisfied the right, including Supreme Court justices. You can cherry pick one offs of each president that a chunk of his base felt wasn’t completely pure but that doesn’t change the majority of that presidents policy decisions that fall in line.

Mostly what I hear the right appeciate are tax cuts, deregulation and court picks.

There's much, on balance, disliked as well.

Chloe
07-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Mostly what I hear the right appeciate are tax cuts, deregulation and court picks.

There's much, on balance, disliked as well.
You would agree that the majority of Trump’s actions as president has mostly satisfied, or meant to satisfy, the agenda of most ideological camps of the right?

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 12:32 PM

The other criticism of what's concluded by the OP about the poll is most of those who on balance side with Trump gave him mixed reviews, liked this policy, not that. That is completely ignored.

I think the only thing that makes him seem conservative is so many liberals hate him as a person.
I don't think Trump is conservative or liberal per se. He really doesn't seem to have a base political philosophy. He's in to being a disrupter, a provocateur, anything that puts him in the spotlight. He's about Trump.

stjames1_53
07-20-2018, 12:36 PM

your track record in here is always a set up for your personal opinions. It doesn't matter to you, not really, what we think. Your opinion is already made. So, your question wasn't seeking opinions that could or might persuade you differently, ergo, it is a fishing expedition.

Chloe
07-20-2018, 12:37 PM
I don't think Trump is conservative or liberal per se. He really doesn't seem to have a base political philosophy. He's in to being a disrupter, a provocateur, anything that puts him in the spotlight. He's about Trump.
Trump personally may not be anything but you can’t deny that his actions as president have been meant to satisfy more of the right hand side of the political spectrum than the left, correct? He’s a populist that is mostly out to reward and satisfy those that voted him into power. He might throw in random political moves that don’t fall in line with conservative purists but he’s buttering the bread of those that elected him which is mostly people who would identify as the right. I don’t personally think he believes in a lot of what he is doing but it keeps him popular amongst his base and hated by those who hate him. He loves it both ways.

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 12:43 PM
You would agree that the majority of Trump’s actions as president has mostly satisfied, or meant to satisfy, the agenda of most ideological camps of the right?
Certainly, his actions that will stand a chance of cementing any legacy, those primarily being his judicial appointments, are hard right.

Captdon
07-20-2018, 12:46 PM

The poll wasn't asking you to pick right or left. It was approve or disapprove.

I mostly approve but not always. I had no option for that so I voted approve.

Captdon
07-20-2018, 12:47 PM

Trump is mostly a populist.

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Trump personally may not be anything but you can’t deny that his actions as president have been meant to satisfy more of the right hand side of the political spectrum than the left, correct? He’s a populist that is mostly out to reward and satisfy those that voted him into power. He might throw in random political moves that don’t fall in line with conservative purists but he’s buttering the bread of those that elected him which is mostly people who would identify as the right. I don’t personally think he believes in a lot of what he is doing but it keeps him popular amongst his base and hated by those who hate him. He loves it both ways.
On balance I would agree with this. His motivation is the fielty (sp?) of his followers. I see little that motivates him from any sort of sociopolitical philosophy. This is mostly indicated by the yo-yoing position on many issues, his policy dujour.

DGUtley
I don’t consider textualists as “far right” but that’s me.

Chris

No. The Republican establishment dislikes him. The economically libertarian disagree especially on tariffs. I don't think you can compare him to the traditional conservatism of say Buckley or Kirk.

I think you're swayed by the personal hatred of him by the left, and associated that with something ideological when none of the posts by th left indicate much of any ideology. But he's hated by the left so he must be on the right--wrong.

As several posters pointed out the left has let Trump into their collective head to the point they can think of little else.

He's popular because he's a populist. Perhaps because he's a nationist rather than a globalist the right likes him.

Chris
07-20-2018, 12:49 PM

Agree. Though he is a populist.

Chris
07-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Trump is mostly a populist.

Agree, and I think the right, on balance, likes him because that populism involves nationalism against globalism.

Chris
07-20-2018, 12:51 PM

Then again are there any lefty textualists? They're mostly living documentists.

Captdon
07-20-2018, 12:55 PM

No, wrong way to do it.

We don't like the CR he signed. He broke his promise to us and that's big. Conservatives are not thrilled with his latest SCOTUS oick. It's barely acceptable. He bombed the Hell out of Assad. We didn't like that either. He isn't pushing the "Dreamers" out the way he should.

See how it works? I mostly approve but not anywhere near all of his decisions.

stjames1_53
07-20-2018, 01:09 PM
On balance I would agree with this. His motivation is the fielty (sp?) of his followers. I see little that motivates him from any sort of sociopolitical philosophy. This is mostly indicated by the yo-yoing position on many issues, his policy dujour.

what hasn't he done that would make you happy? Die? no chance of that so suffer your misery

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 01:12 PM
I guess that depends on your definition but historically originalism, textualism has been defined as being the conservative point of view at the SCOTUS hence the label of being on the right.

stjames1_53
07-20-2018, 01:16 PM
I guess that depends on your definition but historically originalism, textualism has been defined as being the conservative point of view at the SCOTUS hence the label of being on the right.

so, following the letter of the law is a Right position?
wow.................

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 01:17 PM
No. The Republican establishment dislikes him. The economically libertarian disagree especially on tariffs. I don't think you can compare him to the traditional conservatism of say Buckley or Kirk.

I think you're swayed by the personal hatred of him by the left, and associated that with something ideological when none of the posts by th left indicate much of any ideology. But he's hated by the left so he must be on the right--wrong.

As several posters pointed out the left has let Trump into their collective head to the point they can think of little else.

He's popular because he's a populist. Perhaps because he's a nationist rather than a globalist the right likes him.
I see him being more of a nationalist although as I said I don't think you can really put a label on him because I see no evidence of a political ethos from the man. He's playing to the nationalist tendencies of his base because that's what got him here. I think he could care less about what his political philosophy is. I think he see's it as a means to an end, that being the stoking of his ego.

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 01:20 PM
what hasn't he done that would make you happy? Die? no chance of that so suffer your misery
What? :rollseyes:

Chris
07-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Things are just too complex to put into nice neat little boxes.

https://i.snag.gy/GIXA1o.jpg

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 01:21 PM
so, following the letter of the law is a Right position?
wow.................
We're talking about interpretation of the Constitution not following the letter of the law.

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Things are just too complex to put into nice neat little boxes.

https://i.snag.gy/GIXA1o.jpg
This is true but that doesn't mean we can't make relative comparisons.

Chris
07-20-2018, 01:40 PM
This is true but that doesn't mean we can't make relative comparisons.

Of course. But to lump the wide array of opinions posted in this thread into one of two boxes is overly simplistic.

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Of course. But to lump the wide array of opinions posted in this thread into one of two boxes is overly simplistic.
Yes. It is a continuum.

Chris
07-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Yes. It is a continuum.

Multidimensional.

Like string theory.

Captdon
07-20-2018, 02:02 PM

Of course he wants to do what his voters want. What else would he do? Obama did what his voters wanted. They all do.

suds00
07-20-2018, 02:18 PM
he's not very stable.nor is he a genuis.more like a cypher.

ripmeister
07-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Of course he wants to do what his voters want. What else would he do? Obama did what his voters wanted. They all do.
I'm not referring to the act or the outcome. I'm referring to the motivation.

Dr. Who
07-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Too right Polly. That's why they are here. Not to have a discussion, but just to heckle the left.

MisterVeritis
07-20-2018, 08:19 PM
Too right Polly. That's why they are here. Not to have a discussion, but just to heckle the left.
I am willing to have a discussion. Start a thread.

Chris
07-20-2018, 08:29 PM

^^Heckles the right.

Project much?

starone/actual
07-20-2018, 09:04 PM
as i watched the president co-interview with puttin, i was struck dumb founded by trumps demeanor, as a 50 yr old i have watched many presidents, give such interviews, seen how they react to certain situations and circumstances. that said , i have never seen a president cowarer on national television. but it gets freaker, cause then the president offered up citizens, who are doing the bidding of the people, as way to appease a dictator. citizens who were directed by the people to perform a task on our behalf , this the president informed the people, was good and gracious by the dictator....yeah...wait .............what did he say. that's how it hit me. we are living in a time where unicorns exist, there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and donald trump became president. where are those oh so cherished morals the republicans speak about when it comes to democracy....this is not, i repeat not a partisan issue...least wise we really do lose the integrity of the voting system. remembering abraham lincoln's gettysburg address...or the quote by jfk, " the price for freedom is eternal vigilance " ...we the people, see the truth...

Peter1469
07-20-2018, 09:10 PM
as i watched the president co-interview with puttin, i was struck dumb founded by trumps demeanor, as a 50 yr old i have watched many presidents, give such interviews, seen how they react to certain situations and circumstances. that said , i have never seen a president cowarer on national television. but it gets freaker, cause then the president offered up citizens, who are doing the bidding of the people, as way to appease a dictator. citizens who were directed by the people to perform a task on our behalf , this the president informed the people, was good and gracious by the dictator....yeah...wait .............what did he say. that's how it hit me. we are living in a time where unicorns exist, there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and donald trump became president. where are those oh so cherished morals the republicans speak about when it comes to democracy....this is not, i repeat not a partisan issue...least wise we really do lose the integrity of the voting system. remembering abraham lincoln's gettysburg address...or the quote by jfk, " the price for freedom is eternal vigilance " ...we the people, see the truth...
What did he say that was uncharacteristic of American presidents with regards to Russia in a diplomatic setting.

starone/actual
07-20-2018, 09:15 PM

starone/actual
07-20-2018, 09:23 PM
your question is short sighted, no president has ever offered up citizens as goodwill gesture to appease a dictator......... NO PRESIDENT!!!!!

Peter1469
07-20-2018, 09:25 PM
your question is short sighted, no president has ever offered up citizens as goodwill gesture to appease a dictator......... NO PRESIDENT!!!!!

I don't think any has. Why do you think so?

starone/actual
07-20-2018, 09:30 PM
i don't know him personally, maybe if i did it would explain his demeanor in those moments of surrealness. there is a bigger picture here, were all just not seeing it yet...its large...too big to grasp...unthinkable...

Peter1469
07-20-2018, 09:51 PM
i don't know him personally, maybe if i did it would explain his demeanor in those moments of surrealness. there is a bigger picture here, were all just not seeing it yet...its large...too big to grasp...unthinkable...

How so?

Do you think that personalities trump geopolitics?

Mister D
07-21-2018, 10:02 AM

It's a loaded question because in Polly's case it contains the unjustified assumption that support for Trump is "right wing" and "conservative". Her previous attempt to shoehorn everyone into neat categories backfired and this thread is her just lashing out.

Polly doesn't need her persecution complex reinforced. You know better, Dr. Who.

Captdon
07-21-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm not referring to the act or the outcome. I'm referring to the motivation.

He wanted to be President. It's the same motivation for all of them.

IMPress Polly
07-21-2018, 10:43 AM

The more progressive section of the Democratic Party (NOT the Clintons or Obama!) may be protectionists to some degree, but not even Bernie Sanders supports this ridiculous trade ware we're now engaged in with the likes of Canada and the EU. The political left sometimes sympathizes with protectionist ideas, but for very different reasons than Trump has. Leftists may sympathize with these ideas out of concern for workers (the prospect of outsourcing, etc.). That's NOT the same thing as like seeking to expand American corporate influence over the globe. Those are different goals.

The farther left you go on the ideological spectrum, the more the standard position on these matters favors the transfer of businesses to social ownership and management, which tends to be more local by definition. Like community ownership and worker management, for example, which is the sort of reorganization that I'm most sympathetic to. In a sense, you could say that that's protectionism taken to its logical extreme in that it forbids multinational competition on a certain level, but it's also not the same as trying to colonize other countries economically. It's not about trade wars.

As a broader, general rule of thumb, one might realistically gauge what is and is not a left-of-center position by whether I support it or not, to be frank. I mean does anyone really dispute that I am the most left-leaning member of this message board?

Chris
07-21-2018, 10:49 AM
The more progressive section of the Democratic Party (NOT the Clintons or Obama!) may be protectionists to some degree, but not even Bernie Sanders supports this ridiculous trade ware we're now engaged in with the likes of Canada and the EU. The political left sometimes sympathizes with protectionist ideas, but for very different reasons than Trump has. Leftists may sympathize with these ideas out of concern for workers (the prospect of outsourcing, etc.). That's NOT the same thing as like seeking to expand American corporate influence over the globe. Those are different goals.

The farther left you go on the ideological spectrum, the more the standard position on these matters favors the transfer of businesses to social ownership and management, which tends to be more local by definition. Like community ownership and worker management, for example, which is the sort of reorganization that I'm most sympathetic to. In a sense, you could say that that's protectionism taken to its logical extreme in that it forbids multinational competition on a certain level, but it's also not the same as trying to colonize other countries economically. It's not about trade wars.

As a broader, general rule of thumb, one might realistically gauge what is and is not a left-of-center position by whether I support it or not. I mean does anyone really dispute that I am the most left-leaning member of this message board?

Of course, Bernie doesn't support it...because it's Trump. Bernie proposed basically the same protections of American workers.

I repeat, Clinton promised tariffs.

No, all for the same reason, to protect American workers.

Trump is not seeking to expand American corporate influence. That's just you reframing Trump's policy into your anti-capitalist framework.

Yes, I think we all know the promise of socialism...and the failure of every attempt at socialism.

Oh, so you are the new American bellwether: "what is and is not a left-of-center position by whether I support it or not"?

Admit it, you just don't like Trump the person.

AZ Jim
07-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Poor Jim.You'll know one day even if you are a fucking *****....

Tahuyaman
07-21-2018, 11:36 AM
You'll know one day even if you are a $#@!ing *****....

What's a $#@!ing ***** ?

Peter1469
07-21-2018, 11:47 AM
You'll know one day even if you are a fucking *****....

What is wrong with you? You are elderly and have no self confidence? That is sad.

stjames1_53
07-21-2018, 12:09 PM
He wanted to be President. It's the same motivation for all of them. here's the rub...he didn't actually believed he'd won until the next morning.......Most of us figured the old hag would win............but we went ahead and voted just the same.

Tahuyaman
07-21-2018, 01:16 PM
?... He trades short term gain for long term pain with his gift of tax cuts for the wealthy. His foreign policy is a joke....

Our previous president used short term pain as a way to prepare people for long term pain.

I certainly wouldn't crow about his foreign policy achievements either.

Captdon
07-21-2018, 03:26 PM

As a broader, general rule of thumb, one might realistically gauge what is and is not a left-of-center position by whether I support it or not, to be frank. I mean does anyone really dispute that I am the most left-leaning member of this message board?

You're not a socialist you're a communist.

Captdon
07-21-2018, 03:29 PM
You'll know one day even if you are a $#@!ing *****....

Chris isn't a $#@!ing *****. He's a @#$****.

Orion Rules
07-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by MisterVeritis:

Please, show us where tRump's name is misspelled.

@Crepitus, you disapprove of Donald J. Trump, that is assured. What, if anything, do you think of this opinion piece regarding Hillary Clinton and Vladimir Putin, as to how they allegedly bonded? That's if with a reply you feel qualified, or you wish to respond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUtrO-K-kPI

"Breaking! Hillary Clinton Had Secret PUTIN Meetings & they Bonded! - ALEX JONES INFOWARS"