PDA

View Full Version : The Tennessee senate race

pjohns
07-27-2018, 10:01 AM
Tennessee is a very red state; so it is rather difficult for me (a Tennessean) to imagine that it might elect a Democrat to the US Senate. (Currently, the state is represented by two Republicans: Lamar Alexander, and the retiring Bob Corker.)

Yet the Democrat, Phil Bredesen, is currently ahead of his Republican Rival, Marsha Blackburn. (RealClear Politics shows his lead as an average of 4.5 points. However, even that mat be a bit misleading: It figures in a poll taken in mid-April. Apparently the only recent poll--taken by Emerson, in mid-July--has Bredesen up by six points.)

Someone has described Bredesen as the only Democrat who might have a chance in this race. That is because Tennessee often elects Democrats to the governorship--just not often to the US Senate. And Bredesen was governor of Tennessee from 2003 to 2011. (As regarding his re-election, in 2006, Bredesen garnered more than two-thirds of the vote.)

I sincerely hope that he does not win his race for the US Senate. Right now, however, things do not appear to be going that well for Marsha Blackburn.

Thoughts?

Lummy
07-27-2018, 10:09 AM
4.5 points can evaporate in a week.

nathanbforrest45
07-27-2018, 10:37 AM
He was an excellent governor and was much more fiscally responsible than 95% of any of the politicians on the scene. If he were a Republican I would vote for him in a heartbeat. The problem is that state politics and federal politics are two entirely different animals. While the governor he could so fairly much what he wanted. If he were a Democratic Senator he would be obligated to follow the party line and do what the leadership wanted him to do or face dire consequences. It would be a monumental mistake to believe that just because he was a conservative Democrat in Nashville he would be the same in Washington.

If he changed his party affiliation he would be a shoe in and a much better Senator for Tennessee than either of the two bozos currently in office.

Tahuyaman
07-27-2018, 11:14 AM
If he were a Democratic Senator he would be obligated to follow the party line and do what the leadership wanted him to do or face dire consequences.

There have been several Senators in the past who did not simply follow the party line. I think we need those people in office.

nathanbforrest45
07-27-2018, 11:39 AM
There have been several Senators in the past who did not simply follow the party line. I think we need those people in office.

Good luck in finding them.

El Guapo
07-27-2018, 12:01 PM
https://www.conservativereview.com/scorecard/

Lamar Alexander:

Conservative Score: 19% F

Bob Corker:

Conservative Score: 51% F

Red state, indeed. :rolleyes:

Tahuyaman
07-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Good luck in finding them.
They are out there on both sides.

Green Arrow
07-27-2018, 02:01 PM
I would have voted for Bredesen in a heartbeat if I still lived there. Blackburn is pondscum.

nathanbforrest45
07-27-2018, 02:17 PM
https://www.conservativereview.com/scorecard/

Lamar Alexander:

Conservative Score: 19% F

Bob Corker:

Conservative Score: 51% F

Red state, indeed. :rolleyes:

Corker showed great promise as a candidate. Alexander has always been a Rino

pjohns
07-27-2018, 06:04 PM
The problem is that state politics and federal politics are two entirely different animals. While the governor he could so fairly much what he wanted. If he were a Democratic Senator he would be obligated to follow the party line and do what the leadership wanted him to do or face dire consequences.

Very true.

Of course, if I were a politician, I would face those "dire consequences." That is because I am exceedingly independent; so I simply would not tow "the party line"--for either party.

In fact, I truly wish that both parties might be abolished--entirely.

It would be a monumental mistake to believe that just because he was a conservative Democrat in Nashville he would be the same in Washington.

Good point.

Jeb!
07-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Evan Bayh, another popular Democrat governor who disappeared from the public eye for a long time, had a much larger lead than Phil Bredesen did at this point in 2016, but he lost easily because his left-wing positions were exposed. Tennessee is definitely lean Republican.

Sergeant Gleed
07-29-2018, 10:57 AM

You mean like John McCain?

Tahuyaman
07-29-2018, 11:04 AM
You mean like John McCain?

I was thinking mostly about former Senator's Henry Jackson and Sam Nunn. Nunn and Jackson stood on principles. McCain's motivation is to gain the adoration of the media.

countryboy
07-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Tennessee is a very red state; so it is rather difficult for me (a Tennessean) to imagine that it might elect a Democrat to the US Senate. (Currently, the state is represented by two Republicans: Lamar Alexander, and the retiring Bob Corker.)

Yet the Democrat, Phil Bredesen, is currently ahead of his Republican Rival, Marsha Blackburn. (RealClear Politics shows his lead as an average of 4.5 points. However, even that mat be a bit misleading: It figures in a poll taken in mid-April. Apparently the only recent poll--taken by Emerson, in mid-July--has Bredesen up by six points.)

Someone has described Bredesen as the only Democrat who might have a chance in this race. That is because Tennessee often elects Democrats to the governorship--just not often to the US Senate. And Bredesen was governor of Tennessee from 2003 to 2011. (As regarding his re-election, in 2006, Bredesen garnered more than two-thirds of the vote.)

I sincerely hope that he does not win his race for the US Senate. Right now, however, things do not appear to be going that well for Marsha Blackburn.

Thoughts?

Corker and Alexander are basically democrats, so it's not difficult to imagine them being replaced by democrats.

countryboy
07-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Corker showed great promise as a candidate. Alexander has always been a Rino

Lol, in other words, Corker lied to get elected.

Green Arrow
07-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Lol, in other words, Corker lied to get elected.

What lie did he tell?

countryboy
07-30-2018, 07:36 AM
What lie did he tell?

He ran as a Republican. He also voted against repealing Obama care, after promising otherwise.

Green Arrow
07-30-2018, 08:14 AM
He ran as a Republican. He also voted against repealing Obama care, after promising otherwise.

How is running as a Republican telling a lie, when he’s been a Republican all his life?