PDA

View Full Version : Chris Christie - 2016?

Uncle Slam
01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Should have been the candidate in 2012

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/01/05/republican-party-seems-divided-angry-ever/ppvNuZVdcQYjL2NfYruAAI/story.html

Peter1469
01-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Absolutely not. He is a great governor of a liberal state.

He is not a fiscal conservative and must not be considered for President.

Although I admit I would love his press conferences. That alone may change my mind.....

Uncle Slam
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Absolutely not. He is a great governor of a liberal state.

He is not a fiscal conservative and must not be considered for President.

Although I admit I would love his press conferences. That alone may change my mind.....

Oh yea, he's funny as hell. Christ, ARE there any fiscal conservatives even left?

Peter1469
01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Oh yea, he's funny as hell. Christ, ARE there any fiscal conservatives even left?

If not, then there is zero reason to vote any more.

Uncle Slam
01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
If not, then there is zero reason to vote any more.

Christie will be a factor I think. I had hopes Romney would be a "uniter" but that didn't last long.

Mainecoons
01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Another NE Republicrat in bed with Obama. No way I'd vote for him.

Uncle Slam
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Another NE Republicrat in bed with Obama. No way I'd vote for him.

That's the spirit! My Tea Party way or the highway all the way! Haven't we suffered enough from that polarization already?

Chris
01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
No, we need more polarization. It's time fiscal conservatives wake up to the fact the GOP pays only lip service to fiscal conservatism.

Uncle Slam
01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
No, we need more polarization. It's time fiscal conservatives wake up to the fact the GOP pays only lip service to fiscal conservatism.

This country wasn't set up for polarization and extremism, that's why we are a failure now with it. Our genius is compromise and working together. The last time it broke down in the mid-1800's 600,000 people died in a little dispute called the Civil War.

GrassrootsConservative
01-06-2013, 12:45 PM
This country wasn't set up for polarization and extremism, that's why we are a failure now with it. Our genius is compromise and working together. The last time it broke down in the mid-1800's 600,000 people died in a little dispute called the Civil War.

And our country came out stronger when it was over.

Chris
01-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Baloney, the balance of powers in three branches, the division of Congress into House and Senate, the party system, the recognition in the BoR of state powers and the rights of the people, all speak to contention being the foundation. See Madison Federalist 10 on the problem of factions.

zelmo1234
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM

The problem is that many think that the picture with Christie and Obama helped Obama in the election?

And he is a social moderate when it comes to abortion and gun rights. because these issue will be front and center in the next election with Obamacare forcing churches to pay for birthcontrol and abortion, and with the planned assultweapons ban, which will surprize a lot of people to find out they own assult weapons.

This will make it almost impossible for him to be elected in the primarry. However if a Southern or Western canidate gets the nomination, he might be a great VP.

It is also good to remember that republicans never win when the run anyone that is viewed as a moderate.

Peter1469
01-06-2013, 03:12 PM
That's the spirit! My Tea Party way or the highway all the way! Haven't we suffered enough from that polarization already?
No. We need to not be Statists. If the majority of the people want Statism, then we need to Galt out.

Uncle Slam
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
The problem is that many think that the picture with Christie and Obama helped Obama in the election?

And he is a social moderate when it comes to abortion and gun rights. because these issue will be front and center in the next election with Obamacare forcing churches to pay for birthcontrol and abortion, and with the planned assultweapons ban, which will surprize a lot of people to find out they own assult weapons.

This will make it almost impossible for him to be elected in the primarry. However if a Southern or Western canidate gets the nomination, he might be a great VP.

It is also good to remember that republicans never win when the run anyone that is viewed as a moderate.

Try going through a day at work where people don't communicate. Try having a family where people are stick in their bullheaded ways - dysfunctional! This is really a reply to Chris, not you. No one is ever totally satisfied with compromise, but it's better than this media driven garbage. You trace the advent of hate talk radio and TV over the past 20 or so years and our government's polarization and the people of this country's polarization. The correlation is no accident.

KC
01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
The arguing & bickering in Congress is all show. There is very little real difference between the major parties.

Chris
01-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Try going through a day at work where people don't communicate. Try having a family where people are stick in their bullheaded ways - dysfunctional! This is really a reply to Chris, not you. No one is ever totally satisfied with compromise, but it's better than this media driven garbage. You trace the advent of hate talk radio and TV over the past 20 or so years and our government's polarization and the people of this country's polarization. The correlation is no accident.

Government is not a family, not a business.

And now you change topic from contention vs compromise to something altogether different, animosity and hate talk in the media.

In support of my contention the government was designed for contention, I offer James Madison and the Origins of Partisanship (http://www.cato.org/policy-report/januaryfebruary-2011/james-madison-origins-partisanship). It's a long discussion but here is a synopsis:

Critics argue that Congress has become the “broken branch” of government, marked by extreme partisanship and few achievements. They prescribe nostrums ranging from campaign finance regulation to redistricting reform to foster compromise rather than conflict on Capitol Hill. Yet the American founders, especially James Madison, believed “ambition must be made to counteract ambition” as a way to limit the power of government. The Constitution itself favors broad consent to laws over an efficient implementation of the will of a majority. William F. Connelly, Jr., the John K. Boardman Professor of Politics at Washington and Lee University and author of James Madison Rules America: The Constitutional Origins of Congressional Partisanship, and W. Lee Rawls, a longtime Senate chief of staff and author of In Praise of Deadlock: How Partisan Struggle Makes Better Laws, discussed Connelly’s book, as well as the benefits and burdens of partisanship, at a Cato Book Forum in October.

Here's a Cato event where Connelly talks about his book, with comments by Rawls: http://ne.edgecastcdn.net/000873/archive-2010/cbf-10-14-10.m4v.

Yet the American founders, especially James Madison, believed “ambition must be made to counteract ambition” as a way to limit the power of government.

The more contention the less done by Congress. As Thoreau put it in Civil Dosobedience, "That government is best which governs least."

Uncle Slam
01-06-2013, 04:19 PM
The arguing & bickering in Congress is all show. There is very little real difference between the major parties.

That's the damned truth in a nutshell!

zelmo1234
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM

If you want to know why they can't come together, it is because the do not communicate at all! have you ever watched CSPAN? You have a congressmen or senator giving a speach to Nobody. They say that they are watching in there offices, I do not beleive it.

Want to get something done, make them sit there butts in there seat and listen to the other side. I say we start by locking them in the chamber for 10 hours a day and give them grilled cheese sandwichers and tomato soup. If they do not get there before the door is locked? $100,000.00 dollar fine or 30 days in jail.

This would be a start.

But for the sake of this discussion the republicans can not run anotehr moderate. because if we do, the base will sit the election out. Look at Romney, while the left tried to paint Romney as a right wing conservative, he was perhspse the most liberal of the canidates on the Republican side. John McCain was the great compromiser, and again the most moderate of canidates, and he got his butt kicked to. Nixon would be the last moderate to get elected, and that did not turn out so well for the republicans.

And the country need to have a real conservative that will make the tuff decissions and get this debt under control.