PDA

View Full Version : Why does Sean Hannity say marijuana decriminalization is a left idea?

GrassrootsConservative
01-06-2013, 09:09 PM
This is why conservatives do not vote Republican anymore.
Where in the constitution does it say anything about marijuana?
The fact of the matter is that even our founding fathers grew the stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_politicians_who_admit_to_can nabis_use
We need to go back to our roots if America is going to vote for conservative politicians in our future.

Chloe
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Marijuana is perfectly safe as long as you are responsible and use common sense, just like anything.

Chloe
01-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Also I think that Hannity is just playing towards his audience. He knows that most of the people that listen to him are probably anti-marijuana so it is a safe way for him to keep a lot of his listeners happy in my opinion. I get that some people think marijuana is a gateway drug but I think as long as people use common sense a little bit of marijuana will not make someoine want to do cocaine or something.

Chris
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Hannity is a social con at best, a believer in government as enforcer of his moral values.

patrickt
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Marijuana is perfectly safe as long as you are responsible and use common sense, just like anything.

I would never have guessed you were a pro-gun person.

In response to the original question, I would suspect that there are far more liberals in NORML than conservatives. But, I've know nothing about Sean Hannity so I really don't know wny he says what he says.

Deadwood
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
"We need to go back to our roots if America is going to vote for conservative politicians in our future."

I trust the pun was intended. And you are right, the roots are the most important part of the plant. ahem....now to business.

Ah...what was the question again?

Oh...right, weed. OK, first we have to remember that Hannity like all of the chattering kind does have a 'target audience' and he knows he will appeal to those who think that legalizing cannabis is a left wing plot to destroy minds and create sex fiends.

But then, it has been my experience that when confronted with that attitude, dismissive only BECAUSE of its ideology there is a gaping hole of information bordering on the criminally ignorant.

It is not so much a "left" idea as it is a libertarian idea and Hannity knows that.

When examined closely and impartially, cannabis is one of the LEAST addictive substances on the planet; cough medicine rates higher while cigarettes, from which EVERY government rakes a HUGE profit are the single most addictive substance in the known universe.
Cigarettes are proven to be the direct cause of some 15 SETS of diseases not the least of which is COPD while cannabis has no known disease causing agents.

Tests over the last ten years confirm conclusively that cannabis is one of the most effective pain management tools and is in extensive use in cancer wards across Canada and Europe. It is now being used extensively in Post-polio syndrome cases where pain management is almost impossible with traditional methods.
It is a proven treatment of epilepsy and has been prescribed as a medication for that in Canada since the early 1970's.
That is just a start.

But the authoritarian side of the conservative coin cannot grasp that idea, it has been so ingrained in the national psyche in the US for so long; FFS, you guys are still sending people to prison for simple possession.

There is hope though, we're embarrassed here that Washington would legalize it first. Washington!

Shame on Canada.

Cigar
01-07-2013, 08:40 AM
The one thing everyone can bet their life on is … America isn’t “going-back” to anything.

You either evolve or you become extinct … period, end of story, no question about it.

The old dazzz are gone and they ain't coming back for one one.

patrickt
01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
You mean we won't go back to the days of marijuana being totally uncontrolled and narcotics available OTC? Oh, the horror. I'm sure you are aware that that was the case in the not too distant past.

Peter1469
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Also I think that Hannity is just playing towards his audience. He knows that most of the people that listen to him are probably anti-marijuana so it is a safe way for him to keep a lot of his listeners happy in my opinion. I get that some people think marijuana is a gateway drug but I think as long as people use common sense a little bit of marijuana will not make someoine want to do cocaine or something.

Recent studies do show that marijuana is safe for adults, in moderation. But what it does is stunt emotional growth; so for kids and teens it is a bad idea.

Chris
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
The one thing everyone can bet their life on is … America isn’t “going-back” to anything.

You either evolve or you become extinct … period, end of story, no question about it.

Thing is evolution is not progressive.

Deadwood
01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Recent studies do show that marijuana is safe for adults, in moderation. But what it does is stunt emotional growth; so for kids and teens it is a bad idea.

Agree. Just like cigarettes and booze.

Deadwood
01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Thing is evolution is not progressive.

So, if American isn't "going back" to anything, does that mean Obama is lying when he says he will "restore" safety for children in schools?

Is he full of excrement is saying he was to "bring back" jobs for Americans?

As his chief apologist, Cigar's statements on this are striking.
A complete and unabashed that Obama is a cheap con man spewing impossibilities with no intent whatsoever to 'restore' anything.

Wish he would have let the world know BEFORE the election

Peter1469
01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Agree. Just like cigarettes and booze.

The stunting of emotional growth has not been scientifically proven with alcohol and cigarettes.

Deadwood
01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
The stunting of emotional growth has not been scientifically proven with alcohol and cigarettes.

Oh so that makes them alright?

I think you may want to check your facts on both. alcohol can stunt emotional and physical growth when consumed by the mother during pregnancy.

And, we now know many children are born with a severe pre-disposition to addictions generally when the mother smokes during pregnancy, and they suspect also when an infant is exposed to a lot of cigarette smoke.

In addictions work, especially with alcohol, one of the battles is that the addict is not fully emotionally developed. Ever hear of the problem that alcoholics and addicts tend to be immature? How do you think they got that way?

Peter1469
01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh so that makes them alright?

I think you may want to check your facts on both. alcohol can stunt emotional and physical growth when consumed by the mother during pregnancy.

And, we now know many children are born with a severe pre-disposition to addictions generally when the mother smokes during pregnancy, and they suspect also when an infant is exposed to a lot of cigarette smoke.

In addictions work, especially with alcohol, one of the battles is that the addict is not fully emotionally developed. Ever hear of the problem that alcoholics and addicts tend to be immature? How do you think they got that way?

I don't disagree. I was only pointing out the science. I imagine that alcohol does the same. Cigarettes, I an doubtful. But that is my feelings; not a scientific study.

bladimz
01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I've been wanting to post this ever since i found it:

Can Marijuana Lift Colorado Out of the Recession?

Colorado raked in $5 million in tax revenue in 2011 from medical marijuana businesses, and its cities collected hundreds of thousands more from the budding industry. With Colorado voters poised to legalize marijuana for recreational use this November, their tax coffers could be facing an avalanche of new funds currently being lost to the black market.

But tax revenues aren’t the only potential economic benefit hinging on legal weed. If voters pass Amendment 64, which would legalize marijuana and regulate it like alcohol, the state will save $12 million in criminal and court costs in the first year, according to a report by the Colorado Center on Law & Policy. It would also generate an estimated $24 million in excise tax revenue, all of which will go directly to the construction of new public schools. Those school construction projects are estimated to create 372 new jobs.

The report doesn’t delve into all the additional jobs that would be created within the marijuana market itself. Pioneers staking a claim in the new industry — ganjapreneurs, as they’re called — would reduce unemployment by staffing their marijuana stores and stimulate the economy by hiring contractors and purchasing supplies.
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/6vYIVt/:1Vzw4.0t3:9Sf2ajmA/blogs.lawyers.com/2012/10/marijuana-colorado-recession/?lXFv&WT.mc_id=StumbleUpon_blog&cid=con:100&lQZv/
If it can happen in Colorado, why not everywhere. Imagine the impact on our economy. This country is missing out big time, in all sorts of ways. We are becoming an international joke.

Deadwood
01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
I've been wanting to post this ever since i found it:

If it can happen in Colorado, why not everywhere. Imagine the impact on our economy. This country is missing out big time, in all sorts of ways. We are becoming an international joke.

Marijuana growing in British Columbia is a $6 billion dollar a year UNDERGROUND industry.

Chris
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM

The old canard anyone wants to go back anywhere. What's needed is to once again apply timeless principles declared in Declaration and embodies in Constitution to today.

Peter1469
01-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Chloe, do you have something to tell us?

GrassrootsConservative
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM

I hope so. She seems to have a love for all things "green"
:weedsmoking:

Chloe
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM

lol no i'm fine

bladimz
01-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Sean would do well to take up a "green" sport. It might help clear out some of those cobwebs of his. 😜

Pete7469
01-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Hannity is a social con at best, a believer in government as enforcer of his moral values.

I have to agree with your point, BUT just legalizing dope might not be the answer. When potheads become lethargic and become wards of the stae or do as little productive work as possible what do the rest of us do? As far as "morals" go I'm all for the abortion of liberal children, conservative children will get to live.

Peter1469
01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
I have to agree with your point, BUT just legalizing dope might not be the answer. When potheads become lethargic and become wards of the stae or do as little productive work as possible what do the rest of us do? As far as "morals" go I'm all for the abortion of liberal children, conservative children will get to live.

Why should the state make dope-heads wards of the state?

Chloe
01-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Pete7469 and Peter1469 :angry: seriously?

I can already tell you both that I am not going to be smart enough to notice the difference between your names for probably a while.

Peter1469
01-10-2013, 10:21 PM

I can already tell you both that I am not going to be smart enough to notice the difference between your names for probably a while.

It threw me for a loop too. :wink:

Carygrant
01-11-2013, 03:57 AM

Nobody here should touch it then .

Pete7469
01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Why should the state make dope-heads wards of the state?

Why else? The state likes to have dependents. They tend to vote democrook.

Pete7469
01-11-2013, 08:28 AM

I'll try and upload an unique avatar just for you! :wink:

Peter1469
01-11-2013, 10:08 AM
I'll try and upload an unique avatar just for you! :wink:

Chloe is the nicest person in the world. So take extra messures to make her happy.

Pete7469
01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Will do! I hope she likes it.

Cigar
01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Chloe is the nicest person in the world. So take extra messures to make her happy.

Really ... it's spelled "measure" not "messures" ... and no problem with extra "measure" ... :laugh:

Peter1469
01-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Really ... it's spelled "measure" not "messures" ... and no problem with extra "measure" ... :laugh:

Maybe I spelled it the French way.

Pete7469
01-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow, you really are the biggest douche on this forum. Thank God for the ignore feature.

Carygrant
01-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Wow, you really are the biggest douche on this forum. Thank God for the ignore feature.

Remember what I told you . You can be manly and also have deep feelings which you share with others . Let it flow , Peter .
You have a nice line in satire .Anything else which is nice ?
Kiss , kiss .

Chloe
01-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Will do! I hope she likes it.

Is that a recycle can at least?

patrickt
01-11-2013, 07:27 PM
In one respect, I think marijuana is similar to alcohol. I have had many friends who would go to a party on the weekend, smoke a little, and go to work Monday morning just like some people go to a party, have a few drinks and go home. But I've also known people who smoked a lot, all day, every day and others who started drinking every day when they woke up. For both those smoking dope and those drinking alcohol their lives were dsiasters and it was a total mystery to them why.

A close friend of mine emailed me and said every evening he'd write a list of things to do the next day like, "Refill gas tanks". Then, he'd get up smoke a joint, have breakfast, have coffee with friends and smoke another joint then go to the beach and smoke a little dope with other friends. Go home for lunch, take a nap, wake up, smoke a joint, then meet friends and smoke more dope.

"My gas tanks have been empty for two weeks and I keep making my list but I don't get gas. Maybe I'm smoking too much dope." I wrote back that smoking too much dope was sure a possibility but as my message was heading west I got another that said, "No, that can't be it."

It was much the same as the drunks I dealt with and there were a lot. They could list all sorts of problems in their lives but alcohol wasn't on the list.

Go figure.

Captain Obvious
01-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Hannity is a nutless moron.

Carygrant
01-12-2013, 03:50 AM
In one respect, I think marijuana is similar to alcohol. I have had many friends who would go to a party on the weekend, smoke a little, and go to work Monday morning just like some people go to a party, have a few drinks and go home. But I've also known people who smoked a lot, all day, every day and others who started drinking every day when they woke up. For both those smoking dope and those drinking alcohol their lives were dsiasters and it was a total mystery to them why.

A close friend of mine emailed me and said every evening he'd write a list of things to do the next day like, "Refill gas tanks". Then, he'd get up smoke a joint, have breakfast, have coffee with friends and smoke another joint then go to the beach and smoke a little dope with other friends. Go home for lunch, take a nap, wake up, smoke a joint, then meet friends and smoke more dope.

"My gas tanks have been empty for two weeks and I keep making my list but I don't get gas. Maybe I'm smoking too much dope." I wrote back that smoking too much dope was sure a possibility but as my message was heading west I got another that said, "No, that can't be it."

It was much the same as the drunks I dealt with and there were a lot. They could list all sorts of problems in their lives but alcohol wasn't on the list.

Go figure.

For once I am in total agreement with you . Any drugs are dangerous because of their addictive effects and long term side effects and deep harm .
I speak not as some fuddy duddy prude or morals crusader .
I once employed a few dope heads for housing bricks reclamation work . An effing nightmare .
Also spent six months as a day centre supervisor for recovering alcoholics in 1991 when I was considering a major career change . It was the degree of permanent brain damage and personality change that was most frightening . Lost souls .

Dr. Who
01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Seriously, has anyone ever studied the cost of keeping drugs illegal vs letting people do what they want? During the prohibition era, the illegality of alcohol turned into a huge growth industry for criminals, with a consequential cost in policing, trials and incarceration not to mention the grotesque death rate from from public executions by rival criminals. Similarly in the 21st century, many drugs are prohibited. What is the actual downside of leaving it to parents to police the activies of their children, should they choose to consume drugs. What is the economic downside of simply letting people who are determined to become addicts anyway, choose the drug of their choice. Clearly there is no particular morality involved in choosing which vices are legal and which ones are not. So why can't safe marijuana drugs be marketed that would squeeze out the nasty and potentially lethal and addictive drugs currently on the market?

Chloe
01-12-2013, 05:58 PM
For once I am in total agreement with you . Any drugs are dangerous because of their addictive effects and long term side effects and deep harm .
I speak not as some fuddy duddy prude or morals crusader .
I once employed a few dope heads for housing bricks reclamation work . An effing nightmare .
Also spent six months as a day centre supervisor for recovering alcoholics in 1991 when I was considering a major career change . It was the degree of permanent brain damage and personality change that was most frightening . Lost souls .

It's all about responsibility, moderation, and common sense I think. There is a difference between having a beer at a friend's party on a saturday night and getting wasted every single day of the week, just like there is a difference between smoking something like marijuana at a friend's party on a saturday night and getting high every single day of the week.

oh and for the record that is not an admission of anything on my part. I am just giving examples. :azn:

garyo
01-12-2013, 07:24 PM
I don't think it's a left or right agenda, I think it's the correct agenda.

GrassrootsConservative
01-12-2013, 07:42 PM
I don't think it's a left or right agenda, I think it's the correct agenda.

I would agree. If we live in a country that's supposed to be free, then marijuana should be decriminalized.

Pete7469
01-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Seriously, has anyone ever studied the cost of keeping drugs illegal vs letting people do what they want? During the prohibition era, the illegality of alcohol turned into a huge growth industry for criminals, with a consequential cost in policing, trials and incarceration not to mention the grotesque death rate from from public executions by rival criminals. Similarly in the 21st century, many drugs are prohibited. What is the actual downside of leaving it to parents to police the activies of their children, should they choose to consume drugs. What is the economic downside of simply letting people who are determined to become addicts anyway, choose the drug of their choice. Clearly there is no particular morality involved in choosing which vices are legal and which ones are not. So why can't safe marijuana drugs be marketed that would squeeze out the nasty and potentially lethal and addictive drugs currently on the market?

I'm with you to an extent. Paricularly when it comes to grass. Potheads don't rob 7-11's, they just buy twinkies (until the unions made them disappear) and watch TV. It's the herion/meth/coke addicts and the dumbass kids injesting whatever chemical they can find that are the problem. Prohibition is obviously a failure. We can even take the chi-com extreme and execute all the dope dealers they find. Even the chi-coms can't stop it with those tactics.

For my perspective it could be a self correcting problem. Let addicts ignore treatment, attempt to rob people and get shot dead or die of dehydration in ditches. Problem solved. Sure we could also execute people carrying excessive amounts, but the chi-coms prove that isn't an effective solution or else all that afghani opium wouldn't get far.

The bottom line is that the "zero tolerance" bullshit is just that, bullshit.