PDA

View Full Version : Garden

donttread
08-09-2018, 05:11 PM
So I'm having a record year for winter squash and lots of summer squash too . Ripening dozens of Cherry and other tomatoes every day this week. Overall a great year.
How are you other gardeners doing?

Common Sense
08-09-2018, 05:21 PM
I'm doing a variety of peppers, three different kinds of tomatoes, onions, garlic and calliflower. Everything is doing great except for the garlic.

The fucking squirrels keep stealing my tomatoes, taking two bites and dropping them though. One stole a jalapeño. Pretty sure he didn't enjoy that.

Peter1469
08-09-2018, 09:24 PM
I just have a small balcony garden. Still waiting to see how they will turn out- probably another month to find out.

Dr. Who
08-09-2018, 10:02 PM
I'm doing a variety of peppers, three different kinds of tomatoes, onions, garlic and calliflower. Everything is doing great except for the garlic.

The fucking squirrels keep stealing my tomatoes, taking two bites and dropping them though. One stole a jalapeño. Pretty sure he didn't enjoy that.

Try putting chicken wire over your tomato plants to keep the squirrels out.

Mister D
08-09-2018, 10:05 PM

The $#@!ing squirrels keep stealing my tomatoes, taking two bites and dropping them though. One stole a jalapeño. Pretty sure he didn't enjoy that.
I have no trouble with my peppers. I'm growing Bells, Mexibells, jalapenos, habaneros and serranos. I went wild on the peppers this year. Anyway, my tenant lost a tomato and I lost a tomato but that's all so far. Last year, a deer picked my peach tree clean in a single night.

donttread
08-10-2018, 07:03 PM

LOL, that would of been funny to watch. Several chipmunks mysteriously died in or near my garden this year

Peter1469
08-10-2018, 07:38 PM
LOL, that would of been funny to watch. Several chipmunks mysteriously died in or near my garden this year

How did they taste?

donttread
08-10-2018, 08:18 PM
How did they taste?

I'll eat a gray squirrel but not Chippys and Red squirrels . I'm a civilized hillbilly but the neighbor hood stray cats love em. LOL They were messing with my garden. I need a new BB gun though, it took two shots to the head to finish a wounded one off. NOT a powerful weapon after 20 years or so.

Peter1469
08-10-2018, 08:26 PM
I'll eat a gray squirrel but not Chippys and Red squirrels . I'm a civilized hillbilly but the neighbor hood stray cats love em. LOL They were messing with my garden. I need a new BB gun though, it took two shots to the head to finish a wounded one off. NOT a powerful weapon after 20 years or so.
I had to shoot a wounded baby squirrel after a hurricane- I was using a bird shot round in a .45 Sig Saur. The first shot made it sequel, I felt bad and stomped its head in with my boot. I should have done that in the first place. It probably had a broken back.

Lummy
08-11-2018, 09:13 AM
That's a tough shot. :occasion18:

donttread
08-19-2018, 07:54 AM
Banner year for squash, tomatoes and eggplants . Pretty decent for most everything else to.

donttread
08-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Pretty much a banner year all the way around with a lot of the production coming in early. No doubt this will be the most volume of food I've produced in about 200 square feet, even better than last year. I'll be going over 100 squash and a thousand tomatoes by the looks of things, the majority of them cherry and grape tomatoes , but some big species thrown in as well. I generally am lucky to get a couple of eggplants here as they don't seem to get pollinated but with a little help from strategically placed purple wild flowers, even clover, I've got at least a dozen on the way and couple which may get eaten tomorrow!
How are you other gardeners doing this year?

Tahuyaman
08-29-2018, 07:03 PM
My garden is out of control. I could spend all day, every day working in my garden. It’s like a South American jungle. My corn and beans are huge. I can’t even walk through them without tearing some out. It’s crazy.

Tahuyaman
08-29-2018, 07:22 PM
I have a bumper crop of everything this year.

Last year I got a truck load of “Zoo Doo”’ I tilled it into my soil last year and I wasn’t impressed. This year, I’m guessing it had a year to cure and my garden took off.

donttread
08-29-2018, 07:56 PM
My garden is out of control. I could spend all day, every day working in my garden. It’s like a South American jungle. My corn and beans are huge. I can’t even walk through them without tearing some out. It’s crazy.

Are weeds invading or is it all just produce gone wild?

donttread
08-29-2018, 07:57 PM
I have a bumper crop of everything this year.

Last year I got a truck load of “Zoo Doo”’ I tilled it into my soil last year and I wasn’t impressed. This year, I’m guessing it had a year to cure and my garden took off.

Yeah, believe it or not some shit, like horse shit, has to compost for quite a while.

Tahuyaman
08-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Are weeds invading or is it all just produce gone wild?
It’s produce gone wild. My corn stocks are eight feet tall as are my bean plants. My corn isn’t that good though. I planted sweet corn seeds I bought at Lowes. I’m not going to do that again. I had radishes the size of a tennis ball. My carrots are a foot long.

Dr. Who
08-29-2018, 08:05 PM

That's what a prehistoric climate will do for vegetation. The heat, humidity and rain this summer was positively Jurassic.

Tahuyaman
08-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Yeah, believe it or not some $#@!, like horse $#@!, has to compost for quite a while.

I got the compost from the stalls at my county fair. It must have cured over the last year.

Dr. Who
08-29-2018, 08:31 PM
It’s produce gone wild. My corn stocks are eight feet tall as are my bean plants. My corn isn’t that good though. I planted sweet corn seeds I bought at Lowes. I’m not going to do that again. I had radishes the size of a tennis ball. My carrots are a foot long.
Sometimes a little hardship makes things like corn or grapes sweeter. The ideal growing conditions can allow them to grow too fast, so they don't build up the sugar. Also, too much nitrogen in the soil also contributes to really rapid growth, which again can be bad for the sweetness of fruit. It's great for greens, not so much for corn, tomatoes, berries etc. Corn usually goes through a hot dry period from the mid to end of the summer that slows down the growth and allows the sugars to develop in the cobs. Energy wasted in growing tall is taken from the sweetness of the fruit. So the cause could either be the weather or the high nitrogen content in your soil.

Tahuyaman
08-29-2018, 11:52 PM
Sometimes a little hardship makes things like corn or grapes sweeter. The ideal growing conditions can allow them to grow too fast, so they don't build up the sugar. Also, too much nitrogen in the soil also contributes to really rapid growth, which again can be bad for the sweetness of fruit. It's great for greens, not so much for corn, tomatoes, berries etc. Corn usually goes through a hot dry period from the mid to end of the summer that slows down the growth and allows the sugars to develop in the cobs. Energy wasted in growing tall is taken from the sweetness of the fruit. So the cause could either be the weather or the high nitrogen content in your soil.

Im going to let the corn ripen a little more. Maybe it needs more sugar build up. We've had a dry and hot summer, so I don't know if that's the problem.

My grapes are awesome. I gave most of them away to neighbors and friends. I don't really care for them. Last year I gave them to a buddy who used them to make wine...... It sucked.

Tahuyaman
08-29-2018, 11:55 PM
That's what a prehistoric climate will do for vegetation. The heat, humidity and rain this summer was positively Jurassic.

Here we've had heat, but very little rain and humidity.

Tahuyaman
08-29-2018, 11:57 PM
Yeah, believe it or not some $#@!, like horse $#@!, has to compost for quite a while.

If I get the Zoo Doo again this fall, I'll compost it for a year before I use it in my garden.

donttread
08-30-2018, 06:51 AM

Wow that sounds like a great year. You must place climbers for the beans or do they use the corn ?

donttread
08-30-2018, 06:52 AM
If I get the Zoo Doo again this fall, I'll compost it for a year before I use it in my garden.

Yup. When you say "zoo doo" do you really mean from the zoo?

Tahuyaman
08-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Yup. When you say "zoo doo" do you really mean from the zoo?

Its not actually from the zoo. It's from the county fair livestock stalls. People just refer to it as zoo doo

Tahuyaman
08-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Wow that sounds like a great year. You must place climbers for the beans or do they use the corn ?

I use bean poles about eight feet long.

Dr. Who
08-30-2018, 04:04 PM

Good idea. Here are some tips for growing corn: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/prevent-overfertilized-corn-plants-54615.html

Dr. Who
08-30-2018, 04:06 PM
Here we've had heat, but very little rain and humidity.
Lucky you. Dry heat is much more comfortable.

donttread
09-03-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm still eating Thursday's Eggplant parm and don't have the heart to tell the wife I've got a few more that have to be picked soon. Anyone know if you can freeze eggplant somehow?

Peter1469
09-03-2018, 02:12 PM
I'm still eating Thursday's Eggplant parm and don't have the heart to tell the wife I've got a few more that have to be picked soon. Anyone know if you can freeze eggplant somehow?

no clue

Tahuyaman
09-03-2018, 02:33 PM

I doubt that eggplant would be good after being frozen.

donttread
09-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Apparently it can be sliced. probably blanched, and then frozen. But the article I saw was only freezing it short term. I'd better come up with something because 2 will feed us for days and I've got another dozen coming!

Tahuyaman
09-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Apparently it can be sliced. probably blanched, and then frozen. But the article I saw was only freezing it short term. I'd better come up with something because 2 will feed us for days and I've got another dozen coming!
I can see how Blancheing it might make it right for freezing.

Tahuyaman
09-05-2018, 06:21 PM
I only have three bean pole tripods in my garden. So far I've gotten 30 quarts of beans. I still have at least as many immature beans on my plants. My corn has done even better.

I planted peas last week and they are already coming up. I read where peas can be planted in late summer or early fall, so I thought I'd try it. I also planted more radishes and onions at the same time. They are all doing well too.

jigglepete
09-06-2018, 03:30 PM

I think the blanching suggestion is a good bet, although, without knowing your freezer situation, I'm also thinking, just freeze the finished parm product, the sauce should keep the eggplant from drying out in the deep freeze...at least for quite a bit longer...

donttread
09-18-2018, 05:58 AM
I think the blanching suggestion is a good bet, although, without knowing your freezer situation, I'm also thinking, just freeze the finished parm product, the sauce should keep the eggplant from drying out in the deep freeze...at least for quite a bit longer...

I wound up blanching and freezing the eggplant and will have another batch before we are done, plus I've been eating eggplant parm again. It was a great year for the garden.

Tahuyaman
12-02-2018, 01:29 AM
I planted peas last week and they are already coming up. I read where peas can be planted in late summer or early fall, so I thought I'd try it. I also planted more radishes and onions at the same time. They are all doing well too.

The late planted peas were looking good, then all of a sudden they just basically disappeared. One day they were just all gone. There was no sign of deer or any other critter.

Thecradishes and onions I planted in September looked good, but when I harvested yesterday there was nothing there. Just the greens above the ground. I'm not going to do that fall planting again.

Tahuyaman
05-11-2019, 04:18 PM
I don't get home from Mexico until June 23rd. That's a little late to start most garden crops. Before I left for Mexico I tilled my garden area and got it ready for spring and covered it.

My brother went over to my house and removed the cover, tilled it again and planted corn, onions, carrots and radishes for me yesterday. I'll plant beans and tomatoes when I get home. That's going to be all for this year.

donttread
05-12-2019, 05:10 PM
I've started turning the garden over, but won't be planting for 3 weeks or so.

Tahuyaman
05-13-2019, 09:40 PM
I've started turning the garden over, but won't be planting for 3 weeks or so.
where do you live? You might be a little Late.

Mister D
05-13-2019, 09:57 PM
We're having a very wet May. I planted most of my peppers, herbs and tomatoes on May 3rd. Ive only watered the garden once and that was only because I wanted to apply some Miracle Grow. I'm hoping to begin harvesting early this year.

Mister D
05-13-2019, 09:59 PM
Looks like we're going get some sustained sunshine over the 10 days so that's good.

Tahuyaman
07-21-2019, 07:19 PM
I’m having mixed results with my garden this year. I think I got home from Mexico too late. My peas, tomatoes and potatoes are going great. My beans and corn not so well. My cucumbers are OK but not as good as in past years.

I didn't get home from down south until late June. I think that screwed everything up this year.

Peter1469
07-22-2019, 04:34 AM
My balcony garden sucks this year. Not sure why.

donttread
07-22-2019, 03:54 PM
I’m having mixed results with my garden this year. I think I got home from Mexico too late. My peas, tomatoes and potatoes are going great. My beans and corn not so well. My cucumbers are OK but not as good as in past years.

I didn't get home from down south until late June. I think that screwed everything up this year.

My garden started out poorly due to the constant rain and cold. Then around the end of June it went on a growth spurt and made up a good share of what it had lost. It's a little behind normal ( i have not yet eaten a zuccini) but I've had very few unhealthy plants and most of them look like they will bear good fruit.
Then this weekend after making no appances in the garden this year showed up and took out a CF and a cabbage seedling as well as sampling one of the older cabbage , which in theory at least it should not like. So I spent part of the weekend spraying, setting a live traps and such.

Tahuyaman
07-22-2019, 04:02 PM
My garden started out poorly due to the constant rain and cold. Then around the end of June it went on a growth spurt and made up a good share of what it had lost. It's a little behind normal ( i have not yet eaten a zuccini) but I've had very few unhealthy plants and most of them look like they will bear good fruit.
Then this weekend after making no appances in the garden this year showed up and took out a CF and a cabbage seedling as well as sampling one of the older cabbage , which in theory at least it should not like. So I spent part of the weekend spraying, setting a live traps and such.
I didn’t start my garden until the end of June. I think I just got a late start.

donttread
07-23-2019, 09:30 PM
I didn’t start my garden until the end of June. I think I just got a late start.

When do you start getting frost?

Tahuyaman
07-23-2019, 09:50 PM
When do you start getting frost?

Late November, early December. I'm counting on a late harvest.

donttread
07-25-2019, 07:18 AM
Late November, early December. I'm counting on a late harvest.

You should have time.

donttread
08-04-2019, 08:50 AM
So i have had to admit that my garden will not have the record setting year it did in 2018. Probably just an average year. I've been beseached by a bad case of powdery mildew in my squash and the gopher has taken out a few cabbage seedlings along with getting busy and not being able to spend the time I needed to in garden during it's most recent growth spurt.
So now it's about damage control. The gopher seems to be at bay at least temporarily and likes my stuff less and less as it matures. I've found a couple of supposed remedies for the mildew and have sprayed my plants.
We\ll have to see what we wind up with.

donttread
08-14-2019, 12:59 PM
So last year was a great garden year. Got more produce out of a couple hundred square feet than I ever thought possible. But there is a ying for every yang and this year my garden has more pest that I could of though possible for such a small chunck of ground.
The groundhog has taken out several cabbage, a cauliflower and badly damaged multiple squash plants. Powdery mildew has greatly limited squash production as evidenced by plant after plant with 1 healthy nice squash that started before the mildew and either no new squash or ones that keep dying while they are small. Something literally skinned a zuccini and I have more slugs that I thought lived in my whole town! The Japanese Beetles did their share of damage too!
Plus everything is behind.
I may take a break next year.

Mister D
08-14-2019, 01:50 PM
I messed up this year by putting the roma tomatoes near the other plants. They overran 4 out of my 6 bell pepper plants. Otherwise, I had another good year.

Collateral Damage
08-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Absolutely horrid year for the garden. Between drought and floods in the spring, then a late chill, back to drought and flood. Then the raccoons got one of two tomatoes that finally appeared, and the one that survived, was about the size of a golf ball. Don't think I'll be seeing another this year, the plants look awful.

Gotta say, some of the herbs did pretty well.

Collateral Damage
08-14-2019, 03:02 PM
I messed up this year by putting the roma tomatoes near the other plants. They overran 4 out of my 6 bell pepper plants. Otherwise, I had another good year.
I've learned to prune indeterminate tomatoes. There are a couple of articles out there on the subject, just google pruning tomatoes. Increases quantity and quality....

Mister D
08-14-2019, 08:03 PM
I've learned to prune indeterminate tomatoes. There are a couple of articles out there on the subject, just google pruning tomatoes. Increases quantity and quality....

That came up before in conversations I've had. I may need to learn. An alternative would be to plant them in buckets by themselves. Funny this is I hate raw tomatoes. I only use them for chili, soup and my own healthy version of mac and beef. I picked a good 20 pounds or more so far.

Mister D
08-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Absolutely horrid year for the garden. Between drought and floods in the spring, then a late chill, back to drought and flood. Then the raccoons got one of two tomatoes that finally appeared, and the one that survived, was about the size of a golf ball. Don't think I'll be seeing another this year, the plants look awful.

Gotta say, some of the herbs did pretty well.

I did well save for the tomato fiasco. I grew 6 or 7 different peppers and they're all doing well except the bells that got smothered.

Mister D
08-14-2019, 08:06 PM
I have to pick my leeks. I grew two just because they were there. Maybe I'll make a soup.

Collateral Damage
08-15-2019, 10:39 AM
That came up before in conversations I've had. I may need to learn. An alternative would be to plant them in buckets by themselves. Funny this is I hate raw tomatoes. I only use them for chili, soup and my own healthy version of mac and beef. I picked a good 20 pounds or more so far.
I've had horrendous luck with tomatoes, especially indeterminate, in buckets or barrels. Pretty much failure whenever I've tried it.

Some people don't like them raw... but that is my preference... except when quick sauteed with fresh garlic and fresh herbs over home made pasta... I think I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

Mister D
08-15-2019, 10:50 AM
I've had horrendous luck with tomatoes, especially indeterminate, in buckets or barrels. Pretty much failure whenever I've tried it.

Some people don't like them raw... but that is my preference... except when quick sauteed with fresh garlic and fresh herbs over home made pasta... I think I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.
NJ tomato yields have almost always been high in my experience. They're popular to grow around here.

I made a meat sauce last weekend. Good but too watery. I will need a little paste next time. I could drain some of the water through a mesh but the paste would be less involved.

Collateral Damage
08-15-2019, 11:46 AM
NJ tomato yields have almost always been high in my experience. They're popular to grow around here.
I made a meat sauce last weekend. Good but too watery. I will need a little paste next time. I could drain some of the water through a mesh but the paste would be less involved.
NJ tomato, as in grown in NJ, or a particular type of tomato. I lived in NJ for the first 28 years of my life. Now, down here below the Mason-Dixon, Grainger County tomatoes are the benchmark, if you aren't growing at home.

nathanbforrest45
08-19-2019, 07:18 PM
I lived in Del Rio TN, right next to Grainger County. Those tomatoes were to die for. I must say I found a produce stand in Ocala Fl that is selling Grainger County tomatoes and while they taste better than those from Publix they are lacking something. I think they picked them too early in order to ship them down here in the heat.

donttread
08-20-2019, 05:57 AM

I pick off the leaves when they get discolored. No sense in the plant wasting energy on dying leaves. It seems to work.

Retirednsmilin308
08-20-2019, 06:53 AM
So I'm having a record year for winter squash and lots of summer squash too . Ripening dozens of Cherry and other tomatoes every day this week. Overall a great year.
How are you other gardeners doing?

You have every right to brag about getting a good crop this year. It takes hard work.

The fruit and vegetable roadside stands are doing great in my neck of the woods.
Nothing beats scrambled eggs, sliced tomatoes and avocado for breakfast.

I learned early " a man's gotta know his limitations ". No green thumb here.

Though the Rosemary bush is doing fine and so is my "mango" tree that loves high humidity.

Retirednsmilin308
08-20-2019, 06:58 AM
I just have a small balcony garden. Still waiting to see how they will turn out- probably another month to find out.

Do you have that book....The Apartment Gardener? Lots of good info in it for your situation.

Once all this "Hey, honey, let's install new flooring" tizzy is over with I could send it to you if you like. I am not needing it anymore since I discovered my mere touch is enough to kill a plant.

Retirednsmilin308
08-20-2019, 07:05 AM
I had to shoot a wounded baby squirrel after a hurricane- I was using a bird shot round in a .45 Sig Saur. The first shot made it sequel, I felt bad and stomped its head in with my boot. I should have done that in the first place. It probably had a broken back.

Next time use a machete.
I found a baby rabbit dreadfully hurt and wrapped it up in paper towels so it could not see.
It is about as quick and humane as one can get.
Lay the poor baby on something wood though. You don't want it to be on a soft surface.
The wood back surface ensures a quick and clean cut.
The paper towels absorb so the baby's body can be burned and release his little spirit to start over again and grow to be a healthy fat grown-up rabbit.

Collateral Damage
08-20-2019, 09:42 AM
I lived in Del Rio TN, right next to Grainger County. Those tomatoes were to die for. I must say I found a produce stand in Ocala Fl that is selling Grainger County tomatoes and while they taste better than those from Publix they are lacking something. I think they picked them too early in order to ship them down here in the heat.
Del Rio is but a few miles from home. :)

Unfortunately, the early picking is the downfall of enjoying things from other places. Come winter, I judge the season by the pre-availability of Grainger Tomatoes... the countdown starts in February for the greenhouse tomatoes, lol.

Ever go over to the WNC Farmer's Market outside of Asheville? Wonderful produce there.

nathanbforrest45
08-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Del Rio is but a few miles from home. :)

Unfortunately, the early picking is the downfall of enjoying things from other places. Come winter, I judge the season by the pre-availability of Grainger Tomatoes... the countdown starts in February for the greenhouse tomatoes, lol.

Ever go over to the WNC Farmer's Market outside of Asheville? Wonderful produce there.

A lady at the Farmer's Market (next to the World Famous Moose Restaurant) told me a quick and easy way to can tomatoes in your oven. I have had good results using that method although I have had a lot of feedback telling me I was going to poison the entire universe because the 250 degrees in the oven was different than the 250 degrees in a pressure cooker!

Anyway, for the ETWNC area its called the Wheel of Fortune - Jeopardy Method, You prepare the tomatoes as you would normally. You set your oven to 250 degrees. Put as many jars as will fit into the oven when Wheel of Fortune starts. You take them out when Jeopardy is over and let them cool down overnight. I have never had a bad batch or any that did not seal. I wouldn't try it with those veggies that require higher heat to preserve but I can do 10 or 12 pints at a time in the oven.

By the way, all I do to my tomatoes is put them in hot water to remove the skins. Chop them up. Fill the jar and add one teaspoon of salt to each pint jar. If you want salt free just don't put any salt in them. Every now and then I put a couple of sprigs of basil and garlic in as well.

Down here in Ocala I have to change my schedule since Jeopardy comes on before Wheel of Fortune so I have to reverse the timing!!!!

Quick story about fruits and vegetables. I bought a bushel of peaches from the Farmer's Market. Took them home and my brother in law left them on the back balcony. Next morning I had a bushel basket of peach pits and several happy raccoons! The little devils came back every night for a month looking for more peaches.

nathanbforrest45
08-21-2019, 09:33 AM
BTW, did you know that ETWNC does not actually stand for East Tennessee - Western North Carolina but
Eat Taters and Wear No Clothes.

Tahuyaman
08-22-2019, 11:39 PM
A deer got in my garden and ate all my corn.

donttread
08-23-2019, 07:19 AM
A deer got in my garden and ate all my corn.

The list of threats is endless. Deer, rabbits, gophers, raccoons , slugs to name some. I think the chip monks do some damage as well. I'm in town with no deer or rabbits but between the gopher, powdery mildew , the slugs and now some form of rust on some of my tomatoes I am thinking about taking a year off or at least scaling back next year.

Tahuyaman
08-23-2019, 09:58 AM
The list of threats is endless. Deer, rabbits, gophers, raccoons , slugs to name some. I think the chip monks do some damage as well. I'm in town with no deer or rabbits but between the gopher, powdery mildew , the slugs and now some form of rust on some of my tomatoes I am thinking about taking a year off or at least scaling back next year.

I think I'll scale it down next year too. Maybe just tomatoes, potatoes and onions.

donttread
08-23-2019, 07:07 PM
I think I'll scale it down next year too. Maybe just tomatoes, potatoes and onions.

I think I'll just cut back on volume