Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,647x in 2,130 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get ready for the freedumb to breathe filthy air

I see the Job Creators are gearing up to assault that most private of private property rights... your right to protect your body by breathing unpolluted air.

Anybody notice that the most strenuous defenders of "private property" seem unconcerned with the degradation and theft of the basic property rights of everybody else?

The Crazy Theory About Smog That's Gaining Ground in the White House

It was known as the Great Pea Soup. In 1952, a thick, greenish-yellow fog smothered London, halting traffic and daily life. At the time, when households burned cheap coal for heat, factories spewed unregulated smoke, and buses burned diesel fuel, Londoners were used to a certain degree of greasy haze. But the Great Smog or Big Smoke, as this 1952 pea-souper was also known, was unprecedented. Bitterly cold air "soaked up the pollution and held it like a blanket over the city" for four days straight, according to the Daily Mail. Twelve thousand people died.

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...te-denial?utm_
    Good times!

I assume that creative Job Creators will figure out how to bottle and sell clean air.
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

............Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    ,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
    ....... Not my circus, not my monkeys

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Subdermal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,374x in 3,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not fear-mongering when liberals do it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subdermal For This Useful Post:

KathyS (03-20-2017),MisterVeritis (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why am I not surprised you can't spell "freedom"? More hysteria about the sky is falling. Let me know when the government makes a decision relative to this nonsense.

"I assume that creative Job Creators will figure out how to bottle and sell clean air."

Really? I would assume liberals would suppor this. They enjoyed banning DDT and killing millions.

Now for my big question. Are the air quality standards promoted by the leftists related to health or to destroying industry?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,652
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    del's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,872x in 12,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *banning ddt and killing millions*

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,058
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    OGIS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Why am I not surprised you can't spell "freedom"? More hysteria about the sky is falling. Let me know when the government makes a decision relative to this nonsense.

"I assume that creative Job Creators will figure out how to bottle and sell clean air."

Really? I would assume liberals would suppor this. They enjoyed banning DDT and killing millions.

Now for my big question. Are the air quality standards promoted by the leftists related to health or to destroying industry?
    May I ask you a few serious questions? Do you think you could give me some straight answers to them?

OK, here we go....

(1) How old are you?

(2) Did you grow up or ever live in a smog-bound area?

I'm 67, and grew up in the Los Angeles basin when a good chunk of the air in Southern California looked like this:

Attachment 17539
    Attachment 17540
    Attachment 17542
    etc.
    (3) Do you think those pictures are Fake News?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1366&bih=594

The main causes were: industrial scrubber-free smokestacks, backyard BBQs, gasoline and diesel emissions from cars and trucks, and - believe it or not - dry cleaners.

People that did not grow up in that crap have no clue about how bad it was. I talk to "youngsters" every day who tell me I am full of chit when I talk about the LA smog back in the day.

Then they see the pictures.

I remember going to grade school and my lungs hurt every farking day, especially during the summer. I was in good company: many school days were cancelled, entirely. And many more school days were "restricted activity" with no PE.

But yeah, let's support the property rights of billionaire industrialists to poison everyone else. Tool.

(4) Also, do you think that the 12,000 dead from the Great Pea Soup is Fake News?

(5) And finally, do you actually understand the rationale behind the concept Private Property Rights? It is a universal.

(6) Can you identify what is (aside from your very thoughts) that most private and sacrosanct of private property?

You people constantly beat that private property drum, and then ignore the basis of the very concept.

Destroying industry? Or making industry respect the private property rights of everyone else?

Oh yeah: (7) Do you have any knowledge of the science behind the DDT ban?

http://reason.com/archives/2004/01/0...gshells-and-me
    Last edited by OGIS; 03-20-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OGIS For This Useful Post:

Bo-4 (03-20-2017),Common Sense (03-21-2017),Standing Wolf (03-21-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    *banning ddt and killing millions*

There is actually an element of truth to his hyperbole. I'm not sure whether the number was in the millions, but it is reasonable to suppose that, at the very least, the ban on DDT lead to increased insect depredations which in turn led to the famine deaths of thousands.

But what these modern Know Nothings don't understand is the death toll that would occur if birds, as a branch of the Tree of Life, became extinct. It would certainly be in the hundreds of millions of people.

The decision to ban DDT was made in light of actual scientific knowledge regarding the role of birds in the overall ecology of the planet. It was a case of choosing the least harmful of two (at the time) alternatives.
    Last edited by OGIS; 03-20-2017 at 10:24 AM.

,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OGIS For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,652
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    del's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,872x in 12,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGIS View Post
    There is actually an element of truth to his hyperbole. I'm not sure whether the number was in the millions, but it is reasonable to suppose that, at the very least, the ban on DDT lead to increased insect depredations which in turn led to the famine deaths of thousands.

But what these modern Know Nothings don't understand is the death toll that would occur if birds, as a branch of the Tree of Life, became extinct. It would certainly be in the hundreds of millions of people.
    The decision to ban DDT was made in light of actual scientific knowledge regarding the role of birds in the overall ecology of the planet. It was a case of choosing the least harmful of two (at the time) alternatives.
    the ddt ban in america didn't apply overseas.

it's still in use today.

the claim is rwnj bull$#@!.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 3,704
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bo-4's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,310x in 8,305 Posts
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post

I suggest you move to Beijing and at the top of your lungs (assuming they are still functional) scream ...

FREEDUMB!!

http://time.com/4219575/air-pollution-deaths/

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    the ddt ban in america didn't apply overseas.

it's still in use today.

the claim is rwnj bull$#@!.
    Not so. Again, a (small) element of truth to the hyperbole. The USDA had (and has) many programs trying to help out local agrarian economies in 3rd world nations. Many of those programs included the use of pesticides, and quite a few of them terminated the use of DDT.

However, you are correct in that most DDT use in foreign nations often continued unabated.

Also, I understand that, in retrospect, the eggshell thinness impact was - from an understandable surfeit of caution - overstated a bit. It was/is a real thing, but the effects are a bit more nuanced than the original 50s findings indicated.

,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo-4 View Post
    I suggest you move to Beijing and at the top of your lungs (assuming they are still functional) scream ...

FREEDUMB!!

http://time.com/4219575/air-pollution-deaths/
    Must be Fake News.

,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯

+ Reply to Thread