User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: A simple question

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,549x in 55,058 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I've never known Chris to be a bullshiter and the IRS has so many regulations they don't even know them thanks to the mere size of the "control code". The posted quotes might well be contradicted somewhere else or these agents could have been mistaken or scamming.
    I see no reason to not believe a poster with a good reputation on the grounds that "the government couldn't possibly $#@! up"
    Think about it.

As opposed to some known for little more than snark and mockery. Consider reputations.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I've never known Chris to be a bullshiter and the IRS has so many regulations they don't even know them thanks to the mere size of the "control code". The posted quotes might well be contradicted somewhere else or these agents could have been mistaken or scamming.
    I see no reason to not believe a poster with a good reputation on the grounds that "the government couldn't possibly $#@! up"
    Think about it.
    Yet, there is no way to prove anecdotal claims, that's why they're anecdotal. If people want to get riled up because someone on the internet doesn't find their account of something to be accurate, then all I can say is, welcome to the internet.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely reputations should be considered on the validity of claims, but that is something I have always advocated for, otherwise known as "vetting" the source. It's a little strange how now, someone who doesn't like "questioning the source" is doing exactly that in saying "consider reputations".

Someone that makes it known on almost a daily basis that they don't like government, should all of a sudden be given the benefit of the doubt in a case involving the government? Especially when facts are presented on one side showing that the IRS does not penalize for overpaying? That's illogical.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Absolutely reputations should be considered on the validity of claims, but that is something I have always advocated for, otherwise known as "vetting" the source. It's a little strange how now, someone who doesn't like "questioning the source" is doing exactly that in saying "consider reputations".

Someone that makes it known on almost a daily basis that they don't like government, should all of a sudden be given the benefit of the doubt in a case involving the government? Especially when facts are presented on one side showing that the IRS does not penalize for overpaying? That's illogical.

Figured you'd throw in another of your fallacious tu quoques. It's a bad habit. Your reputation.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yet, there is no way to prove anecdotal claims, that's why they're anecdotal. If people want to get riled up because someone on the internet doesn't find their account of something to be accurate, then all I can say is, welcome to the internet.

Which is why it was presented as an anecdote, but, no, you and your buddy in snark and mockery can't help yourselves. Reputation.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Figured you'd throw in another of your fallacious tu quoques. It's a bad habit. Your reputation.
    Are you still attempting to "vet" a source? Have you now changed your stance on questioning the source instead of the message? I guess I should feel a little jubilant that you have realized the usefulness of my position all along.

Thanks.

- Jefferson Davis

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is why it was presented as an anecdote, but, no, you and your buddy in snark and mockery can't help yourselves. Reputation.
    I would advise you look up the terms you keep using incorrectly, like fallacy, reputation, and mockery. Let me know if you need assistance in that endeavor.

- Jefferson Davis

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,652
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    del's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,872x in 12,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letter came from IRS with a significant refund, stating taxes were overpaid, with a line item for penalty. Told them take it to tax accountant, let him pay the fine. We haven't discussed since. I don't think I'll tell my parents some ____ are accusing them of lying.
    no one has accused your parents of lying

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would advise you look up the terms you keep using incorrectly, like fallacy, reputation, and mockery. Let me know if you need assistance in that endeavor.
    I would advise you to stop being illogical. Here's a good book on the topic: Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking by Richard E. Nisbett.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    no one has accused your parents of lying