User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Can't Captain Marvel Be Gay?

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Sergeant Gleed's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,038x in 1,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll come out as a Rump Ranger in the sequel.

This is a Marvel Comic movie, you know.
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Sergeant Gleed's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,038x in 1,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Capt Marvel is a nothing, WonderWoman is a nothing, Superman is a nothing, Superwoman, Green Lantern, is a nothing, they are fabrications of someones mind. The obsession with cartoon characters being anything is absurd.

How about they create a " Super Homo" and insist on making him or her Heterosexual, yanno a kiss with the opposite sex a hug
    Super Homo was the worst president the United States ever had.
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant Gleed For This Useful Post:

Common (03-22-2019)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I don't mean to complain about movies that I actually kind of like all the time, but come on! This is 2019! It's been 50 years since Stonewall and 52 since the lifting of the Hays Code and still we're generally stuck at lesbian coding at most on the big screen? It's not that every movie needs to have gay characters or anything, but the creators of these major motion pictures pass up opportunities that seem obvious to me with such consistency that it seems intentional and unnatural, and this is especially true when it comes to female characters, who rarely get billed as the lead anyway (case in point: Captain Marvel is the 21st entry is the "Marvel Cinematic Universe", but only the first to clearly center a woman).

What am I talking about, you ask? Well to highlight an obvious example, consider the Wonder Woman movie from a couple years back. In the comic books, Diana (a.k.a. Wonder Woman) is bisexual, which makes sense when you consider that the two women who inspired her original creation were bisexual themselves. It makes narrative sense in the film that she would have at least experimented with same-sex relationships as well. I mean, in the film, Diana was born and raised on an all-female island, secluded from the rest of the world, and has lived there, in that situation, for hundreds of years now, knowing no other experience. You see what I mean? And yet the filmmakers felt it necessary to include a scene (I'm referencing the boat scene, in case you're wondering) making it crystal clear that she remains a virgin despite these remarkable circumstances, whereupon she proceeds to fall in love with literally the very first man she sees. I mean come on! What are the odds? It's not that the relationship between Diana and Steve Trevor is poorly developed or anything (on the contrary, I found it cute and endearing), but I can't help but feel like here was a clear and obvious opportunity to validate lesbian sentiment in a way that would actually be visible, in a film that large numbers of people would actually see (i.e. wouldn't just be a niche indie), and yet...the filmmakers instead went out of their way make Diana strictly heterosexual for the movie franchise only because otherwise political conservatives would freak and the movie wouldn't do as well at the box office. Just as an example of my point.

Similarly, in Captain Marvel, our protagonist just so haaaaaappens to find herself raising a child with another woman, neither of whom seems to have a man in their lives, just by pure coincidence. And yet they are narratively stuck in the friend zone. I mean that's what I do with my friends: we go adopt children together! My point being that the titular Captain Marvel is clearly lesbian-coded, but nonetheless cannot be shown, you know, dating or, heaven forbid, kissing another woman on the big screen because every theater in the state of Alabama would refuse to show the movie here in 2019. This is actually the most common trope that gets applied to lesbian representation in media in general: coding. Most often scenarios are presented that make it clear to lesbians that characters are supposed to be in a same-sex relationship, only to be disingenuously rendered "just good friends"...or even perhaps biologically related (like in the case of the 2015 Studio Ghibli anime picture When Marnie Was There, wherein the girl our female protagonist falls in love with, though visibly her same age, nonetheless turns out to be her grandmother; she's a ghost, it is revealed at the end of film ). The sheer dogged determination of major filmmakers not to validate same-sex relationships in any way even when narratively presented with crystal clear opportunities to do so kind of hurts after long enough.

Conservatives tell me that Hollywood possesses a liberal bias. Perhaps in some respects it does, but here is an area in which clearly the opposite is the case.

Whenever I point this out, conservative-minded people invariably respond with a cheap line like "Do movies/games/whatever have to be political statements?" It is, however, they in this pseudo-logic who are politicizing sexual orientation, not me. It is they who are insisting that only their sexual orientation be represented on the screen. Conservatives complain about "the gay agenda" all the time, yet don't at all mind politicizing their own sexual orientation in the way of insisting that it is the only valid one to have and to be depicted. Wouldn't simply including the occasional lesbian character in a major motion picture just reflect the way the world is rather than intrinsically constituting a political statement? "What about the children?!", a paranoid follow-up argument goes. Yes indeed, what about the children? What about the gay youth out there who hate themselves and perhaps even engage in self-harm because they feel like unnatural freaks; like they're not supposed to exist? What about those kids?

Okay, I'm done. I just had to say that this morning.
    Good Lord...
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reality check: it's the top-grossing film genre, St. James. And it's not the only one I'm aiming to call out here. Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel were just examples.

What does it matter to you anyway, frankly? It's not like you've seen either one or ever would.
    Let me help you out here with your so-called "reality check". You're talking about a movie....

Movies =/= reality and as such should not represent the pulse of one's beliefs or viewpoints on life.

Video games =/= societal representations of anything.

Actors =/= The characters they play nor does their fame make them authorities on political or societal constructs.

I am so tired of you pining away on how gay characters should be played by gay people. By your logic we should get Dylan Roof out of prison immediately to play the next white nationalist sociopath in an upcoming movie about that topic. We should find alien life in the universe to come to Earth to play aliens in the next Sci-Fi movie.

Ladies and gentlemen this individual is a perfect example of an American so completely and totally devoid of a sense of self that she needs to live her life through the outlets of entertainment available to her. Her reality is the movies she watches and the games she plays.

A sad reality that will continue to pervade our youth and as a result the media in which they consume. Even the so-called "NEWS" as already evidenced by pundits who are taken for journalists.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to complain about movies that I actually kind of like all the time, but come on! This is 2019! It's been 50 years since Stonewall and 52 since the lifting of the Hays Code and still we're generally stuck at lesbian coding at most on the big screen? It's not that every movie needs to have gay characters or anything, but the creators of these major motion pictures pass up opportunities that seem obvious to me with such consistency that it seems intentional and unnatural, and this is especially true when it comes to female characters, who rarely get billed as the lead anyway (case in point: Captain Marvel is the 21st entry is the "Marvel Cinematic Universe", but only the first to clearly center a woman).

What am I talking about, you ask? Well to highlight an obvious example, consider the Wonder Woman movie from a couple years back. In the comic books, Diana (a.k.a. Wonder Woman) is bisexual, which makes sense when you consider that the two women who inspired her original creation were bisexual themselves. It makes narrative sense in the film that she would have at least experimented with same-sex relationships as well. I mean, in the film, Diana was born and raised on an all-female island, secluded from the rest of the world, and has lived there, in that situation, for hundreds of years now, knowing no other experience. You see what I mean? And yet the filmmakers felt it necessary to include a scene (I'm referencing the boat scene, in case you're wondering) making it crystal clear that she remains a virgin despite these remarkable circumstances, whereupon she proceeds to fall in love with literally the very first man she sees. I mean come on! What are the odds? It's not that the relationship between Diana and Steve Trevor is poorly developed or anything (on the contrary, I found it cute and endearing), but I can't help but feel like here was a clear and obvious opportunity to validate lesbian sentiment in a way that would actually be visible, in a film that large numbers of people would actually see (i.e. wouldn't just be a niche indie), and yet...the filmmakers instead went out of their way make Diana strictly heterosexual for the movie franchise only because otherwise political conservatives would freak and the movie wouldn't do as well at the box office. Just as an example of my point.

Similarly, in Captain Marvel, our protagonist just so haaaaaappens to find herself raising a child with another woman, neither of whom seems to have a man in their lives, just by pure coincidence. And yet they are narratively stuck in the friend zone. I mean that's what I do with my friends: we go adopt children together! My point being that the titular Captain Marvel is clearly lesbian-coded, but nonetheless cannot be shown, you know, dating or, heaven forbid, kissing another woman on the big screen because every theater in the state of Alabama would refuse to show the movie here in 2019. This is actually the most common trope that gets applied to lesbian representation in media in general: coding. Most often scenarios are presented that make it clear to lesbians that characters are supposed to be in a same-sex relationship, only to be disingenuously rendered "just good friends"...or even perhaps biologically related (like in the case of the 2015 Studio Ghibli anime picture When Marnie Was There, wherein the girl our female protagonist falls in love with, though visibly her same age, nonetheless turns out to be her grandmother; she's a ghost, it is revealed at the end of film ). The sheer dogged determination of major filmmakers not to validate same-sex relationships in any way even when narratively presented with crystal clear opportunities to do so kind of hurts after long enough.

Conservatives tell me that Hollywood possesses a liberal bias. Perhaps in some respects it does, but here is an area in which clearly the opposite is the case.

Whenever I point this out, conservative-minded people invariably respond with a cheap line like "Do movies/games/whatever have to be political statements?" It is, however, they in this pseudo-logic who are politicizing sexual orientation, not me. It is they who are insisting that only their sexual orientation be represented on the screen. Conservatives complain about "the gay agenda" all the time, yet don't at all mind politicizing their own sexual orientation in the way of insisting that it is the only valid one to have and to be depicted. Wouldn't simply including the occasional lesbian character in a major motion picture just reflect the way the world is rather than intrinsically constituting a political statement? "What about the children?!", a paranoid follow-up argument goes. Yes indeed, what about the children? What about the gay youth out there who hate themselves and perhaps even engage in self-harm because they feel like unnatural freaks; like they're not supposed to exist? What about those kids?

Okay, I'm done. I just had to say that this morning.
    Why cant Captain Marvel just be normal?
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Well, to be honest and frank, maybe some movies aren't about sexual relationships. They are meant be merely entertaining? IF they are designed with that in mind, I am the intended target.
    Do we really need to have action movies that are intended to be demographically sexual from Hollywood?
    I agree with you that not every movie needs to include a romance arc or display any kind of romantic affection between characters. A lot of my personal favorite movies actually don't. (Case in point: Mad Max: Fury Road.) However, in the case of the Captain Marvel movie, it's narratively clear that there is supposed to be a same-sex relationship between the characters Carol Danvers and Maria Rambeau. I mean the subtext is very transparent. They're raising a child together and there are no men in their lives! It's very obvious. To that end, it's also obvious that the only reason they couldn't make said relationship overt was because they feared that doing so would cost them viewership, and therefore money. That's what I was griping about in the OP: those kinds of decisions that major filmmakers often make to compromise their vision for a movie they're making for the sake of money.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    Why cant Captain Marvel just be normal?
    Being gay is normal for me and for many, many other people on this Earth.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    How about they create a " Super Homo" and insist on making him or her Heterosexual, yanno a kiss with the opposite sex a hug
    Whaaaaaaaaaaat the hell? I want to disagree with that, but the above sentence is so incoherent that I can't even make out what it is you're trying to say.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,500x in 16,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being gay is normal for me and for many, many other people on this Earth.
    Burt and Ernie are gay, does that help?
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    I am not Catholic am Baptist. We don't believe the media that reprobates are good people no matter how they portray them in movies. 2019 or 2919 we don't change. The media has no influence on us
    What is it with Catholics? You are getting on my nerves to no end.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

+ Reply to Thread