User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trump administration tells court it won't defend Obamacare

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,661x in 25,183 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Dave, the correct answer is, "You are right MisterVeritis. The Executive branch carries no Constitutional obligation to defend any law before the courts."
    MV, you know that would be my preferred answer. It's just that it doesn't work here.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,401x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    MV, you know that would be my preferred answer. It's just that it doesn't work here.
    I can be convinced. It is possible I missed the Article II requirement for the Executive branch to defend laws in court. Convince me.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are confused, of course. There were no Constitutional provisions I am aware of that addressed slavery. The one provision that indirectly addressed it involved the census. Counting slaves/others as 3/5ths of a person limited Southern political power.

Do you know something different? I know far more than they did because of the luxury of time and distance. I can read not only what they wrote and said but what others wrote and said in response. I can do it in my spare time over long periods of time, reflecting and researching.

You are simply wrong.
    The others were the slaves and everyone then knew it. Slaves have no rights. It's not that hard.No one at the time said any different. You can reflect all you want and it won't change facts.

You are either misinformed or uneducated. You cannot find a single member of the Convention who didn't know the others were the slaves.

You are in error and ignorant of the facts.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Abdication of it's duties. It is the law of the land and it's their job to defend it until it's changed.

Yet another impeachable offense in my book.
    You mean the way your boy enforced immigration laws? What goes around comes back to bite your ass.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-11-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can disagree. The Executive branch is under no Constitutional obligation to defend laws in court. The branch is obligated to impartially enforce the law so long as it exists.

My opinion stands in opposition to yours and DJUtley's.
    Now I get it. You have to be right even when wrong. What a sad person you are.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can be convinced. It is possible I missed the Article II requirement for the Executive branch to defend laws in court. Convince me.
    No one can convince you of anything. That's why you are a loon. Go find someone to hang for treason.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-11-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,485x in 15,900 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I don't believe that it is the Executive's duty (or ability) to interpret what laws are or aren't constitutional. That is for the courts. It is the Executive's duty to enforce the laws enacted by the legislative branch, including defending same before the judiciary.
    I am not at all certain that is the case.

The President takes an oath to "protect, preserve, and defend" the Constitution. No other oath of office uses that phrase. If the President believes a law to be unconstitutional, he has a duty to oppose it.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-11-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    The others were the slaves and everyone then knew it. Slaves have no rights. It's not that hard.No one at the time said any different. You can reflect all you want and it won't change facts.

You are either misinformed or uneducated. You cannot find a single member of the Convention who didn't know the others were the slaves.

You are in error and ignorant of the facts.
    You are incorrect.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can disagree. The Executive branch is under no Constitutional obligation to defend laws in court. The branch is obligated to impartially enforce the law so long as it exists.

My opinion stands in opposition to yours and DJUtley's.
    Now I get it. You have to be right even when wrong. What a sad person you are.
    If I am wrong point out the Article II requirement for the Executive Branch to defend federal laws before the courts.

For your convenience here is Article II:

Section 1.The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representatives from each State having one Vote; a quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be encreased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--''I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.''

Section 2.
    The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Section 3.
    He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information on the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Section 4.
    The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one can convince you of anything. That's why you are a loon. Go find someone to hang for treason.
    Those who err will find it very difficult to convince me.

+ Reply to Thread