User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victims of violence who are not legal immigrants

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Victims of violence who are not legal immigrants

Do you think that victims of domestic or sexual violence (including human trafficking victims) who are not in the country legally should be able to access help (hospital, police, public services) without being reported to ICE?

Do you think that a victim should be able to go unreported so long as it results in the removal or prosecution of the abuser? If victims felt like they wouldn't be deported for reporting crimes against them, would it be more in the public interest to ignore the victim's immigration status in favor of handling the abuser?

Side note:
    There is a visa for individuals who are victims and can help prosecute perpetrators, but domestic violence is not that simple and is not really applicable. Same with sexual violence. Human trafficking may the exception, but it is reliant on the victim knowing extensive information that can help law enforcement with a successful prosecution. These visas are very difficult to get, and I think there may be a cap on it.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) abused domestic partners can apply for a green card, too.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (12-16-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I believe under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) abused domestic partners can apply for a green card, too.
    I think the backlog on that specific action is pretty ridiculous, so it leaves people in limbo. The paperwork is also a nightmare; I am married to a lawyer and I still had to see an immigration attorney at one point because my paperwork got sent back over a silly error (without them saying what the error was) and the document was huge and it required someone specifically trained in immigration law to find. Imagine not having any financial resources, plus having to navigate the many lawyers who will scam immigrants, and then the lack of social support during the process?

It makes me sad to think about it.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,377x in 15,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Do you think that victims of domestic or sexual violence (including human trafficking victims) who are not in the country legally should be able to access help (hospital, police, public services) without being reported to ICE?
    No.

Do you think that a victim should be able to go unreported so long as it results in the removal or prosecution of the abuser?
    No.

If victims felt like they wouldn't be deported for reporting crimes against them, would it be more in the public interest to ignore the victim's immigration status in favor of handling the abuser?
    No.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (12-16-2019)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would behoove the public at large to know of a potential violent criminal. An illegal immigrant that would fear legal consequences would be unlikely to report such an incident, leaving the public at higher risk. So I'm inclined to say yes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (12-16-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the backlog on that specific action is pretty ridiculous, so it leaves people in limbo. The paperwork is also a nightmare; I am married to a lawyer and I still had to see an immigration attorney at one point because my paperwork got sent back over a silly error (without them saying what the error was) and the document was huge and it required someone specifically trained in immigration law to find. Imagine not having any financial resources, plus having to navigate the many lawyers who will scam immigrants, and then the lack of social support during the process?

It makes me sad to think about it.
    I think it's a sticky wicket, and I'm sure those here illegally are less likely to report abuse to the authorities, but I think that's also true for anyone who has something illegal hanging over his/her head. I'm sorry for anyone who is suffering at the hands of an abuser, and I don't feel as though that suffering is deserved just because they're here illegally. After all, the penalty for being here illegally is deportation, not a broken jaw. But, on the other hand, I don't think the authorities can ignore the information once they have it.

The best of all possible worlds is to come here legally -- then they can make use of the services the rest of us take for granted without worrying about being deported.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they deserve medical care and then a trip home. Being here illegally isn't made right by being beat up.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

EvilCat Breath (12-20-2019)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,249x in 1,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outlaws Are Outside the Protection of the Law

Do you think that a victim should be able to go unreported so long as it results in the removal or prosecution of the abuser? If victims felt like they wouldn't be deported for reporting crimes against them, would it be more in the public interest to ignore the victim's immigration status in favor of handling the abuser?

Side note:
    There is a visa for individuals who are victims and can help prosecute perpetrators, but domestic violence is not that simple and is not really applicable. Same with sexual violence. Human trafficking may the exception, but it is reliant on the victim knowing extensive information that can help law enforcement with a successful prosecution. These visas are very difficult to get, and I think there may be a cap on it.
    They deserve to be victims, because the country they have invaded is a victim of them. Anyone who victimizes them is doing us a favor. Letting criminals have their way with illegal aliens will discourage others from invading a country where they are not wanted and no one cares what happens to them.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I think it's a sticky wicket, and I'm sure those here illegally are less likely to report abuse to the authorities, but I think that's also true for anyone who has something illegal hanging over his/her head. I'm sorry for anyone who is suffering at the hands of an abuser, and I don't feel as though that suffering is deserved just because they're here illegally. After all, the penalty for being here illegally is deportation, not a broken jaw. But, on the other hand, I don't think the authorities can ignore the information once they have it.

The best of all possible worlds is to come here legally -- then they can make use of the services the rest of us take for granted without worrying about being deported.
    I agree with you that legal immigration would be the best option, but the reality is that there are a large number of illegal immigrants and quite a few (as in, a ton) are victims of some form of repetitive and severe violence while in the United States. They are an extremely vulnerable population because it's easy to control them via their lack of legal status.

My position is that we should be considering human rights and the ripple effect of domestic and sexual violence. Illegal immigrants should be removed in most cases but I think victims need to feel like they can come forward. They need to come forward for many reasons, including to get help and safety for themselves, as well as to ensure that an abuser doesn't harm someone else, and to protect any children involved. It's not simply an immigration problem; it is a public safety issue, too.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    No.

No.

No.
    I respect your opinion but can you elaborate on the reason for it?

+ Reply to Thread