Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Some people are just weak.

An $#@! thing to say to somebody who is showing vulnerability.
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chloe For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (10-14-2018),IMPress Polly (10-11-2018),silvereyes (10-13-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,383x in 15,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    But enough about you.
    I have never contemplated or attempted suicide.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    An $#@! thing to say to somebody who is showing vulnerability.
    Vulnerability?

If she had wanted to commit suicide, she could have. The fact that she didn't means she was just posturing for attention or feeling sorry for herself. The world is a hard place. If you can't hack it, maybe you should check yourself out. It is your call, but don't play the "woe is me" routine. Suck it up and drive on or fall by the wayside.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (10-11-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been in and out of therapy since almost as far back as I can remember. They started me on it following the verdict of a custody battle that my dad somehow won back when I was in elementary school. Supposedly my mom had traumatized me by brainwashing me into believing that my dad was abusive. That was a load of bull$#@!. He was abusive and I spent the rest of my childhood (in a lot of ways, in fact, the rest of my life to date if you count psychological damage) paying the price for their wrong verdict. Family courts simply favor men is what I've ultimately learned from that experience. (I have since found that the statistics back up that experiencially-rooted opinion too.)

My current therapist helps a little I guess. I guess it's worth the money. Many people turn a corner at some point (as Chloe aptly put it), but I was diagnosed with clinical depression almost two-thirds of my life ago at this point. It doesn't seem like I'm ever really going to turn that corner. I was really counting on deep brain stimulation working out for a long time, but it looks like the very positive initial test findings didn't hold up at all in a more significant and sustained sampling of people. I manage my conditions as best I can, but I can't go on like this forever. Something has to give at some point.
    You need to forgive both your mother for letting you go and your father for being a flawed person. Then you need to forgive yourself for not being able to change things and for being brainwashed by those who knew how to do it. As an adult, you need to escape the feeling that these things were ever within your control. They never were. If you can forgive them, you can forgive and love yourself. Your depression does not appear to me to be rooted in a chemical disorder, but in betrayal, guilt and shame, which is why there is no magic pill that can cure it. I know this sounds like amateur psychology, but I have a very strong sense with you that you have not made peace with yourself. You are dragging all of this heavy baggage around with you and you need to find a way to let it go.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (10-13-2018)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I have never contemplated or attempted suicide.
    Gee, I guess that proves you the better person. Or just somebody with an easy life and a sadistic streak.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (10-14-2018),Just AnotherPerson (10-11-2018),silvereyes (10-13-2018)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    You need to forgive both your mother for letting you go and your father for being a flawed person. Then you need to forgive yourself for not being able to change things and for being brainwashed by those who knew how to do it. As an adult, you need to escape the feeling that these things were ever within your control. They never were. If you can forgive them, you can forgive and love yourself. Your depression does not appear to me to be rooted in a chemical disorder, but in betrayal, guilt and shame, which is why there is no magic pill that can cure it. I know this sounds like amateur psychology, but I have a very strong sense with you that you have not made peace with yourself. You are dragging all of this heavy baggage around with you and you need to find a way to let it go.
    This is why so many people feel that psychology is a quack science. I have tried everything, okay? Diet, exercise, "forgiveness", sprinkling proverbial pixie dust on myself and thinking happy thoughts, all of it. If you don't think I have -- if you think I just LIKE living like this -- you're nuts. You know very little about my life or relationships. My mom and I are good friends (if I can say that without being judged a dork), for example.

I wish people would just stop prescribing solutions based on absolutely minimal knowledge of my life and just listen for once. That's all I really want. It helps just to know that somebody cares enough to listen.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have friend that is a neurologist. He told me they taught them in Med School that if you have female patient between age 16 and 60 it is a 95% likelyhood that any issue they are having is in their head or between their legs. They just dont get sick otherwise.

So given this I am willing to allow there may be a depression issue among women. The real point is why and it seems that it is just nature.

See Dr. Ford from the hearings.. classic depressed woman.. this is why they all get fibromyalgia...(which is not real btw) or as Howard Stern calls it " The Yenta Disease'.
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, I guess that proves you the better person. Or just somebody with an easy life and a sadistic streak.
    I have seen good men with bright futures and a zest for life killed in both combat and training... their lives snuffed out in an instant. Why should I care a rat's ass about or have any sympathy for somebody who wants to throw his or life away because they are having a bad hair day or somebody called them fat or they don't have the latest iPhone?

Somebody needs to grab them by the stacking swivel and instead of coddling them, explain to them that sometimes life sucks, but ultimately, it is what YOU make of it. If you can't hack it, go ahead and pull the trigger, but be considerate enough to do it in a way that doesn't leave a mess for someone else to clean up.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is why so many people feel that psychology is a quack science. I have tried everything, okay? Diet, exercise, "forgiveness", sprinkling proverbial pixie dust on myself and thinking happy thoughts, all of it. If you don't think I have -- if you think I just LIKE living like this -- you're nuts. You know very little about my life or relationships. My mom and I are good friends (if I can say that without being judged a dork), for example.

I wish people would just stop prescribing solutions based on absolutely minimal knowledge of my life and just listen for once. That's all I really want. It helps just to know that somebody cares enough to listen.

Perhaps a forum is just not the place to talk about it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread