Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    You implied that there was something normal about the 2012 prices. It wasn't normal. You note from the graph I provided, they cut off that spike - it's an outlier, just like all the other peaks in that graph. Your simple facts are misleading. Prices were not falling so much as normalizing. That would be like trying to calculate someone's average income and including a lottery win in the numbers.

Tariff fears wiped out all of the price gains for 2018. It wasn't oversupply. If the trade war continues, then the US loses its biggest soybean customer. Unless it can find new markets, there will be a glut of unsold soybeans and prices will fall. However, this summer promises to be very dry, which could ruin some crops, so who knows what effect that might have on the average price.

You are completely clueless how the market works. You don't take fed subsidies into your calculations. if what you said was true the farmers would have to go under and they aren't.

The stock market is run by and for the smartest investors. The market has continued to rise.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Anti-Trumpers ought to look up subsidies and ex[lain how soybean producers are losing money.

I know mamooth won't or can't but I expect Who to do so. Then the idea that the market is in any trouble is ludicrous.

Only a fool or a gambler invests in futures, They are based on the selling price. It has no impact on the farmer or the market.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-10-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    To steal from MR V, you are an abnormal. I'm a normal. Get that straight.
    Borrowing from me is perfectly acceptable.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-10-2018)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,228x in 2,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    Based on your behavior, you strike me as a typical Trump supporter.
    Well, yes.

And no.

I voted for Donald Trump in 2016, as I believed he was the lesser of two evils--I simply could not bring myself to vote for The Witch (spelled with a "B")--but I am rather unsure of the adjective, "typical." (I do not regard that as an insult; I simply am uncertain as to whether it is applicable here.)

If Republicans are in denial, that make it easier for Democrats to win elections.
    This sounds like mere cheerleading; and, after high school, that is really not a very appropriate thing, in my opinion.

Now, I don't think that 20% will hold. Tribal identity -- that is, cult membership -- is everything for the average Trump supporter. The majority of that 20% will stick with their Trump cult/tribe, no matter how badly they're getting screwed. However, a significant number won't, and that's enough to swing many elections.
    As Ronald Reagan used to say: "There you go again."

I really am not sure that you could get through a post (at least, one regarding President Trump) without using the word, "cult" (or "cultist") at least once--and usually far more than that.

No, that's not a serious analysis. That's just you changing the topic. A serious analysis relevant to this thread would be talking about how many seats flip because of Trump screwing his base and losing votes.
    If you truly wish to see what Democratic prospects (and Republican prospects) are for November, I would suggest that you might consult several experts in this field: Charlie Cook; Nate Silver; Stuart Rothenberg; Scott Rasmussen; and Larry Sabato leap to mind. (Rasmussen leans center-right, whereas Sabato leans center-left; but these are all good, reliable sources of information.)

Reveling in their victimhood is a way for authoritarian-followers to display their tribal/cult identify. Authoritarian-follower, of course, is the most common personality type among the Trump supporters. Most of them aren't actual sociopaths, they're just sheep.
    Once again, you cannot seem to refer to President Trump--or his supporters--without hurling insults...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-10-2018),Chris (07-10-2018)

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tribal identity -- that is, cult membership -- is everything for the average Trump supporter.
    Perhaps mamooth reframes reality in term of identity politics because that's such a strong force on the left that embraces it.

Tribal is an odd word to use in that context for according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribalism

Tribalism is the state of being organized by, or advocating for, tribes or tribal lifestyles. Some scholars postulate that human evolution has occurred in small groups, as opposed to mass societies, and that humans naturally maintain a social network. The American scholar Peter Killworth estimates that the median social network in the United States is 231 people.[1][2][3]

The word "tribe" can be defined to mean an extended kin group or clan with a common ancestor, or can also be described as a group with shared interests, lifestyles and habits....
    Identity polics, derived from Marxist class warfare, pits identity groups as masses against other identity groups, oppressors vs oppressed, seeking social rather than individual justice.

Supporters of Trump are hardly a tribe.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-10-2018),MisterVeritis (07-10-2018)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071x in 788 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You Anti-Trumpers ought to look up subsidies and explain how soybean producers are losing money.
    You do understand that crop-revenue insurance isn't free, right? And that not everyone buys it?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Perhaps mamooth reframes reality in term of identity politics because that's such a strong force on the left that embraces it.
    That makes no sense.

The left is diverse, so it doesn't have a tribal identity.
    In contrast, the right is almost all white and Christian. Hence, the rabid identify politics of the right, which you don't find on the left.

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That makes no sense.

The left is diverse, so it doesn't have a tribal identity.
    In contrast, the right is almost all white and Christian. Hence, the rabid identify politics of the right, which you don't find on the left.
    It makes no sense because you cut out most of my post @ http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...=1#post2377185

That's dishonest.

You just demonstrated my point. You embrace identity politics.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    I voted for Donald Trump in 2016, as I believed he was the lesser of two evils--I simply could not bring myself to vote for The Witch (spelled with a "B")--
    So, raging sexism, plus susceptibility to all the faked propaganda about Clinton. Yep, a typical Trump supporter.

You don't see liberal men screaming sexist insults at conservative women, yet you always see conservative men screaming sexist insults at liberal women. The two sides are totally different in that respect. I know it's not PC to point out how your system of morality is inferior, but I'm not PC.

I really am not sure that you could get through a post (at least, one regarding President Trump) without using the word, "cult" (or "cultist") at least once--and usually far more than that.
    If the shoe fits. In addition to always being raging misogynists, your side embraces a serial molester and criminal, and yet proclaims he's the most wonderful person ever. That's cult-like. Take the most fanatical Obama groupie, multiply their devotion a hundredfold, and it still falls far short of the devotion the average Republican holds towards Trump.

Once again, you cannot seem to refer to President Trump--or his supporters--without hurling insults...
    Which would be the fault of Trump's supporters. Don't expect me to go all PC and sugarcoat their actions. These are the people making excuses for putting babies in cages.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It makes no sense because you cut out most of my post @ http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...=1#post2377185

You may be hung up on Marxist definitions, but liberals aren't, so we pay no attention to them.

We just observe. The Trump movement is entirely about identify politics, on a scale never seen before in the USA.

You just demonstrated my point. You embrace identity politics.
    I embrace telling the simple truth. And it triggered you badly.

Now, what does Marx tell you to say about that? Go check (assuming that you don't have some relevant passage by Marx already memorized.)

+ Reply to Thread